F1 2009 game exclusive video: first footage of Singapore Grand Prix track

Here’s a new video of Codemasters official Formula 1 game “F1 2009″, which goes on sale for Nintendo Wii next month.

Among the new features in the game is the first appearance of the Singapore Grand Prix circuit in an officially licensed F1 product – as shown in this video.

Have game makers Codemasters done a good job of rendering the new circuit?

Are you going to buy F1 2009, or are you waiting for next year’s version for Playstation 3 and Xbox 360? Have your say in the comments.

F1 2009 by Codemasters

96 comments on F1 2009 game exclusive video: first footage of Singapore Grand Prix track

1 2 3 4
  1. Jonathan102 said on 24th September 2009, 11:04

The graphics looks terrible (yes i know its a Wii but still), and the physics look even worse. I’ve never seen so much smoke coming out of the F1 cars’ tyres.

• Fernando said on 24th September 2009, 17:15

This game has fail written all over it. Don’t these people know that F1 is about cutting edge technology and not gimmicks like the wii. I think my Wii has about 15 hours of playtime on it, it’s not even plugged in anymore. Please put this on the PC/XBOX360/PS3. Codemasters really need to get their stuff together first they wreck Colin McRae with DIRT now this crap here.

• Alex291190 said on 24th September 2009, 17:56

have you tried the dirt 2 demo?, Dirt2 is a huge improvement on dirt 1 in terms of physics, the cars actually feel like cars now, still not dead on, but believable :)

• But on the Wii? No way that it compares to what is available on the PS360.

• Fernando said on 24th September 2009, 19:53

Yes I actually own Dirt 2 but if you understand the roots of that game which is Colin MCRae Rally 2004 and 2005 you would see where they went mainstream and left the true WRC fans in the “Dirt” Colin McRae was a WRC Rally game but that is no longer the case. I mean come on instant replay with a re-do option, that first grade crap there.

• You do realise Colin himself was massively into the kind of events that DIRT brought in and of course was not driving in the WRC by that point?

• the Sri lankan said on 24th September 2009, 23:40

this is rideculous i never seen so much overteer in a game. the graphics are from the arc.id rather play r factor

2. This won’t be on my Christmas list.

3. Even for a Wii I would have expected at least some sparks off the bumps and glowing brake discs. Disappointing.

4. Not good enough for me anyway. They’ve hardly improved on the F1 game for the N64 for God’s sake!

I’ll be waiting until next year for the PS3 version.

5. steph90 said on 24th September 2009, 11:11

Thanks Keith, I know the graphics are bad but if it is realistic with handling then I’ll give it a go. Shame about Wii it’s meant to be fun but for the more serious game it is harder to get everything accurate. I think they really need to work harder with that.

6. graphics are pretty poor, bt i will play anyway, jst want to play an updated f1 game

• I’m sure MP4-19 will be along shortly to plug it, but try rFactor, some of the mods (MMG 07 and CDTP 06 spring to mind) are very good – beware – you’ll need a steering wheel as even with TC these are unplayable on a keyboard. For quick keyboard fun with TC FSOne 08 or CDTP 05 are good.

• But for actual quick fun… like, you know, if you’re not a qualified car mechanic, you probably wouldn’t be too hard done by F109.

• Mussolini's Pet Cat said on 24th September 2009, 14:12

oh, but rfactor (yawn) looks sooooo old now…..

• It really does. I downloaded it and had a go due to all the praise it gets here. It looks like an old PC game, and the car handling just felt a bit rubbish, even with my 360 controller. No i’m not going to spend money on a steering wheel for a racing game, because they’re just as dis-jointed from driving a real car as a gaming controller is.

• Stealthman said on 25th September 2009, 14:23

Well it came out around 2006, so what would you expect?

And have you even added any of the mods yet? The quality of the MMG and FSOne models (not to mention Endurance Series by Enduracers) are better than that of official games in most respects.

And about the wheel: You might not be willing, but know this – it adds more to the experience than a controller ever would.

7. I still think it looks alright. Yes, ok, the car physics are looking a little off, what with all the 4-wheel-drifting and tyre smoke in a straight line under acceleration.

But an F1 track is a large area to have persistantly modelled, textured, and loaded into a game, especially on the Wii, and to have 20 cars charging around is no mean feat really. A lot of racing games tend to have fewer.

It looks nice enough. Whether I will buy it just to tide me over until the ‘next gen’ iterations come along next year, I don’t know. I do have Forza 3 to look forward to next month after all.

• iceshiel said on 24th September 2009, 11:45

next year there are 26-28 cars to render! most racing games on current-gen consoles dont even have that much.

• I tried it too, but to be honest, I didn’t think it was realistic at all. Or I dunno… but personally I like RACE 07 a lot better…

8. Wii isn’t interesting at all!
    But knowing how good codemasters (race) games are, I’m very excited about their PS3/xbox/pc version next year!
    Very excited indeed :)

9. Its not the greatest looking game but i’ll chuck it in the stocking for christmas.

10. looks arcade style.
    i prefer rfactor too, playing with keyboard, i practiced about 4 days alone on singapore track until i could achieve a more-or-less clean lap. that game kicks ass :) this wii stuff is, eh… :S

11. Bernard said on 24th September 2009, 12:09

I’m waiting for next years PC version, which failed to get a mention. ;)

• Bigbadderboom said on 25th September 2009, 8:15

Me too, hope to have a new rig by then as well, and then pc gaming will be back way above anything the consoles can offer. Hopefully codemasters take advantage of directx10.

12. aahhh its horrible!

what do you expect on wii though… rfactor is the bar and that has come nowhere near it. even for an arcade game.

problem with f1 is that it’s so technical & precise it shouldn’t be arcade.

13. Yes, but the market for an accurate F1 simulation is tiny. Sims are just not as much fun after all.

Having said that…I don’t see the point of this kind of game on the Wii. It just can’t do it very well. I have a Wii and if I wanted to play this kind of game I would have bought a 360 instead.

14. Dave F. said on 24th September 2009, 12:35

Has anybody tried the iRacing online game?

At over Β£96 yearly subscription it seems extortionate, but was curious as to what it’s like.
    Simulation or Arcade?

And what about RFactor? It looks good, but was released back in ’05. Is there to be an RFactor 2.0 or is it continuously developed?

You thoughts are welcome.

• Mark Hitchcock said on 24th September 2009, 12:59

iRacing is a sim I think. Endorsed by a load of pro drivers as well, using it for practice etc. apparently.
      But you’re right, that is extortionate, especially when there’s rfactor.

Rfactor was released a while ago now, but the game that went out in the shops (and the one you would still buy now if you got it) was just the basics and was designed to be easy for people to design mods for.
      So although Rfactor 2 is on the way (I think), Rfator 1 is still fantastic and not at all dated. You just need to go onto rfactorcentral or somewhere similar, download whatever cars you want to race, whatever tracks you want to race on and you’re on your way.
      All built by the community.

It is a sim though, so you’ll need a wheel, pedals and patience to get the most of it.

15. It’s more than official, rFactor 2 is coming yes, probably in 2010. there are some pics of it on the net. better graphics, etc, but this time with full weather simulation. And there are still new mods being released for rFactor1: just check http://www.virtualr.net

1 2 3 4