Button, Barrichello, Alonso, Sutil and Buemi get five-place grid penalties

Both Brawns and three others have bene moved down the grid

Both Brawns and three others have bene moved down the grid

Five drivers have been been moved down the grid for the Japanese Grand Prix.

They are Jenson Button, Rubens Barrichello, Adrian Sutil, Sebastien Buemi and Fernando Alonso.

However because of the large number of drivers that got penalties, some of them will not lose a full five places. See the Japanese Grand Prix grid.

All of the drivers except Buemi were penalised for failing to slow down sufficiently after Buemi left debris at the exit of Spoon curve during Q2.

Buemi, meanwhile, was punished for driving his broken car back to the pits instead of stopping on the track.

Japanese Grand Prix

Advert | Go Ad-free

150 comments on Button, Barrichello, Alonso, Sutil and Buemi get five-place grid penalties

  1. Choltz said on 3rd October 2009, 14:32

    Good, deserved, and also the championship must go down to the last corner of the last race, or it’s just not that exciting!! :)

  2. steph90 said on 3rd October 2009, 14:38

    I think penalties was right, unless Alonso did back off as I have heard.
    Slightly off topic but for anyone interested, Mclaren fans and MP4 I know you will be
    The hottest rumour at the Suzuka circuit on Saturday is that McLaren is contemplating splitting completely with Mercedes at the end of the season.

    • Yes, F Alonso slowed but not until he passed the hazard. http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/f1_media/Documents/jpn09_document_28.pdf

      He took the worst decision. He has had the same penalty and has not been able to enter into Q3.

      Next time, he will have to still running fast if he fails in slowing down it in the appropriate moment. He will have the same penalty.

      Brawns and Sutil were much more clever.

    • Bartholomew said on 3rd October 2009, 16:13

      Wow Steph, please more news about this whenever you can —-

      • steph90 said on 3rd October 2009, 16:26

        Bartholomew about Mclaren and Mercedes?
        Here is full article…

        The hottest rumour at the Suzuka circuit on Saturday is that McLaren is contemplating splitting completely with Mercedes at the end of the season.
        Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport reports that the Woking based team’s plan, masterminded by chairman and former team boss Ron Dennis, is to buy BMW’s formula one engine division from the withdrawing German carmaker in order to go it alone as an independent chassis and engine constructor.
        The move would clear the path for Mercedes to completely concentrate on its intensifying partnership with Brawn, with Dennis thought not keen on the prospect of taking a back seat to Mercedes’ new favourite.
        McLaren has an engine supply contract with equity partner Mercedes for two more seasons, but Dennis is believed to be confident that – as with his new MP4-12C road car project – the outfit can manage without the Stuttgart based manufacturer.
        Auto Motor und Sport said BMW would be interested in selling its F1 engine programme for the right price, and that Dennis may already have made enquiries with the marque’s Munich headquarters.
        It is also rumoured that McLaren’s existing Bahraini investors might bolster their involvement in order to support the new independent engine programme.
        Said team boss Martin Whitmarsh: “We have no plans to buy BMW’s engines.”

        If it does happen I don’t think it will be next season. It’s a bit late for plans like that and even if there is a rift with Mercedes, they have the best engine on offer at the minute.
        The question is though will it happen? Many believed, including me, that Mercedes simply wanted to expand into F1 rather than dilute relations with Mclaren but since then they are having seperate road cars and these rumours about engines are increasing.

        • mp4-19b said on 3rd October 2009, 17:24

          WOW! Thanx for that Steph, I’m not going to ask you where you got that info & your sources. Ron at work!! You just cannot keep Ron off F1. He is a master tactician. He’s turning mclaren into a british ferrrari. Good news for all hardcore mclaren fans :)

          • steph90 said on 3rd October 2009, 17:44

            Just good old searching web, hopefully if I get to be a journalist I can become a true F1 spy :P
            Odd as well as talk on live blog of Dennis returning…
            So Brawn the ‘new Mclaren’ and Mclaren back to indepence but new era for engines for them…this is quite confusing.
            So next year will Brawn be silver and if Mclaren sever all ties with Mercedes (I think at this time for next season unlikely) what will there car be like?

        • Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 3rd October 2009, 17:37

          I’m sorry but the way that story is written is a joke. Leaving Whitmarsh’s plain, on-the-record denial until the last line is classic “never let the facts get in the way of a good story” journalism.

          • Said team boss Martin Whitmarsh: “We have no plans to buy BMW’s engines.”

            If McLaren buys the BMW Engine Division they won’t be BMW’s engines!

          • steph90 said on 3rd October 2009, 19:30

            True I thought so but I still wonder about Mclaren and Mercedes future in the long run

    • Martin said on 4th October 2009, 0:39

      I have also read this. They are contemplating buying BMW’s engine programm and continuing it as a Mclaren engine and making them a true mfg.
      It isnt like the new grenn machines from BMW are going to win any kind of competition anymore. You cannot be green and race now can you. I love their new commercials where they espouse the virtues of their new philosophy. Might as well put a frilly set of undergarments on it or a pocket protector. Even Kubica is having second thoughts about going to race for another mfg. Bmw has burned him 2 times now.

    • ryan said on 4th October 2009, 3:28

      oh my god steph you cannot be serious?!?! that would be disaster for mclaren, i would have never imagined an mp4 with a renault engine on the back. please tell me you’re kidding

  3. steph90 said on 3rd October 2009, 14:44

    Sorry that was meant to be in quotes.
    Also Button says he didn’t lift off in case there was a car behind. Has he ever heard of the invention of the mirror? :P
    Though he does say he respects their decision which is good.

    • Button is starting to worry me. He is getting a bit shaky any way you look at it.

      • StrFerrari4Ever said on 3rd October 2009, 15:02

        Yup I agree you saw the look on his face when the drivers went in Scrutineering he was very serious and that penalty will only give him more pressure and we shall see whethe he can cope with it.

  4. jacaru said on 3rd October 2009, 15:21

    Pffftt If anti Alonso people are going to continue like this from now on, this site is going to become a nightmare…Didn’t Hamilton qualify good?

    • I do not think that anti-Alonso comments are with regards his ability or the team that he represents, but with regards to his obvious arrogance. How he can also claim no knowledge/involvement in last year’s Renault incident also beggars belief!

      • How he can also claim no knowledge/involvement in last year’s Renault incident also beggars belief!

        The FIA agreed with him on that score. What beggars belief is that despite the case having been settled for weeks now, people are STILL GOING ON ABOUT IT.

        • steph90 said on 3rd October 2009, 15:50

          Put perfectly Red Andy

        • Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 3rd October 2009, 17:40

          I agree Andy, but this is why I said he should have criticised what happened at Singapore. No, it wouldn’t have stopped every single person from believing he was involved, but a show of integrity would have made many more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

        • Martin said on 4th October 2009, 0:44

          The FIA agreeing with him is by no means a vendication of alonso. They couldnt get to the bottom of a paper bag.
          Many conspirators in certain events are shielded from the event even when they are fully aware of it.

        • Choltz said on 4th October 2009, 2:54

          I love how when the FIA makes a decision that people like they say how it’s final since the FIA said so, but when they don’t like what the FIA does, it’s because Max is an evil dictator… yeah…

      • jacaru said on 3rd October 2009, 16:10

        This is the worst of it all. We should stop loosing our energy discussing how good or bad person he is when we are basing our comments on biased press tidbits or unfortunate comments of himself or rumors. How come people have the insight to evaluate Alonso without even knowing who he is personally.

        We all know how bad PR he does for himself when he talks what he thinks, but thats about it. Let’s move on.

  5. Shadowplay said on 3rd October 2009, 15:31

    I wonder if Buemi will reveal all after he’s fired next year….

  6. Grandprixlover said on 3rd October 2009, 15:38

    ALonso’s A VERY talented driver, and tat’s wat matters cuz his carrer is nothin to do with watever you guys are saying. He deserves the respect.

  7. I recall Teflonso plowing into a parked car in a massive debris field, in the rain, a few years ago on the back straight at Interlagos. He was lucky to walk away from that. One would imagine that he would have learned from that. I’m not certain but I don’t think he was penalized for that. But at the end of the day, any driver is going to keep his foot in it and risk the slight penalty, rather than slow down and hand a spot to another guy. This is why 5 spaces is not enough. If drivers have a rational basis to break a rule in a way that could end in a truly catastrophic accident, the penalty risk side of the equation needs to be bigger.

    In any event, the steward should have red-flagged the session immediately. There were heaps of debris on the racing line at a stretch where the cars are pushing 200mph. Its hard to see why they stopped the session for a car in gravel but not for a full car wing lying in the in a high speed section of track.

    • Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 3rd October 2009, 17:42

      I recall Teflonso plowing into a parked car in a massive debris field, in the rain, a few years ago on the back straight at Interlagos. He was lucky to walk away from that.

      Good point.

      In any event, the steward should have red-flagged the session immediately. There were heaps of debris on the racing line at a stretch where the cars are pushing 200mph.

      Another good point.

  8. 159Tom said on 3rd October 2009, 16:53

    Hakkinen used to acknowledge a yellow flag by waving, while keeping his foot to the floor…

    Would the Spoon Curve Five have escaped penalties by doing that – or can stewards go and check the data for some Piquet-like throttle inputs?

  9. MacademiaNut said on 3rd October 2009, 17:00

    This is a dumb decision by FIA to give a five place grid penalty. Here’s what I would ha ve preferred.

    Cancel BUT, BAR, ALO’s laptime (that particular lap that they sped). Figure out their positions in the grid. Give everyone a five-place grid penalty from there.

    This is total rubbish that BUT and BAR advanced to Q3 and managed to stay ahead of ALO.

  10. MacademiaNut said on 3rd October 2009, 17:01

    And on top of all that BUT makes a statement that “he doesn’t want to win a title by cheating, like Schumacher”. This is “cheating” except it’s unlike Schumacher.

    • Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 3rd October 2009, 17:52

      I always criticise penalties when the stewards get them wrong, but I think they did the right think here.

      • Macademianut said on 3rd October 2009, 19:20

        I agree that they got it half right. They should have invalidated that lap time for BUT and BAR, which would have not let them get to Q3 at all. It’s not fair that ALO who set a time in Q2 gets to start 16, while BAR and BUT start well ahead.

        • steph90 said on 3rd October 2009, 21:39

          I agree, I can’t understand why they effectively kept the laps and then arranged what place they would be in when Alonso backed off meaning he wouldn’t get into q3 at all.

  11. nick_jp said on 3rd October 2009, 18:29

    massa should try to obey alonso’s rules, otherwise:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMieRlRLzPw

    :P

  12. Gusto said on 3rd October 2009, 18:36

    Even though the penalties are deserved I find Buemi`s interesting when you think of the state that some Cars make it back to the Pits, Schumi Spa 98 springs to mind.

    • Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 3rd October 2009, 19:16

      They’ve changed the rules since then. Buemi’s penalty is pretty much consistent with Vettel’s at Melbourne this year and Alonso’s at Hungary.

  13. i say this every grand prix weekend, tomorrow will be an amazing GP got to back vettel i am a lewis fan but he tends to play “wacky races” sometimes and i think it could be one of those days tomorrow.
    anyone got a quid on heidfeld??????did not think so!

    • S Hughes said on 3rd October 2009, 22:36

      but he tends to play “wacky races” sometimes

      That’s funny. As a fellow Hamilton fan, I too have that fear going into the first corner.

  14. sato113 said on 3rd October 2009, 19:25

    surely the 5 yellow flag penalties were given at the same time? then the FIA were right to move them all in one block…

Add your comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

All comments must abide by the comment policy. Comments may be moderated.
Want to post off-topic? Head to the forum.
See the FAQ for more information.