McLaren MP4-25 launch today

Posted on | Author Keith Collantine

McLaren's MP4-25 was revealed early online
McLaren's MP4-25 was revealed early online

I’m heading to Vodafone’s headquarters today for the launch of McLaren’s 2010 F1 car, the MP4-25.

I intend to post updates from there throughout the day and McLaren are also broadcasting the launch online.

You can watch the McLaren launch live here.

The timetable for the launch is as follows (UK time):

11:00 – MP4-25 revealed
11:30 – Martin Whitmarsh, Jonathan Neale and Paddy Lowe press conference
12:00 – Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton press conference

I’ll do my best to add updates from the launch here and on Twitter but as this is the first time I’ve been to a launch like this I can’t say exactly how it’s going to work.

We’ve already had lots of suggestions for questions to ask at the launch – if you’ve got any ideas or thoughts on the launch please post them below.

Update: McLaren have asked fans talking about the launch on Twitter to use the hashtag #MP425. Tweets using that tag will be displayed on a special Twitter wall at the McLaren Technology Centre. I can imagine a few people wanting to have some mischief with that so I hope McLaren have got filters in place. Don’t forget to follow me on Twitter.

Update 2: Some early pictures of the car have appeared already – see the comments for more.

McLaren-Mercedes MP4-25 launch pictures

201 comments on “McLaren MP4-25 launch today”

Jump to comment page: 1 2 3 4 5
  1. Prisoner Monkeys
    29th January 2010, 10:15

Top-down view is interesting: tiny sidepods, big rear end.

2. Less than 1 hour now. Can’t wait to see new Mclaren(s).
    I think like Ferrari’s launch, where 458 and California accompanied the 2010 F1 car, Mclaren might also park new MP4-12C alongside it’s 2010 F1 car. But i hope this time they present it in a better colour than hideous orange.
    Keith please take lot of HQ photos of both Mclarens.

1. Prisoner Monkeys
      29th January 2010, 10:18

Side-on view … it looks mean. Not a fan of the shark fin, though. Never have been, never will be.

1. I’m rather pleased its not supporting an RB5 nose.

I’m rather concerned that its supporting a weird cross between renault and bmws last nose.

3. Terry Fabulous
    29th January 2010, 10:18

I wish SOMEONE would change their livery!!!

Yes I’m looking at you Renault

1. Prisoner Monkeys
      29th January 2010, 10:20

Don’t worry. They will.

4. MP4-25 looks like a spaceship from the side. I LOVE it

1. nice photoshopping :P

1. I’d be tempted to say its the white background image that’s Photoshopped and this is the original…

2. It’s the best looking adaptation of the shark fin in my opinion, it looks very sculpted into the shape of the engine cover, and the red on the tip is nice

1. CounterStrike
        29th January 2010, 10:39

Shame they kept the chrome livery, but on the design its certainly looks more aggressive than Merc,Williams or that copy/paste Ferrari.

Look at those sidepod openingss, obviously they are confident of engine cooling.

5. Looking very nice but shark fin not that much. Mclaren should have gone with normal engine cover for launch.

6. That’s hilarious – I’m over here at the launch and you’ve all seen the car already!

1. Prisoner Monkeys
      29th January 2010, 10:27

McLaren no doubt antitcipated this happening, especially since the Mercedes livery launch had the probem of the flashbulbs reflecting off the silver livery and making it difficult to see the design.

If it makes you feel any better, Keith, I’d rather be at the launch without having seen the car than to have seen the car without being at the launch.

7. Even though the car is longer, the sidepods seem to be getting smaller and smaller. The top-down view shows it off best.

Not sure about the shark fin though. They make the back end of the cars look like busses from side-on.

8. I’m liking this one, much better looking than the 09 car.

9. Prisoner Monkeys
    29th January 2010, 10:31

It’s certainly a very aggressive design.

10. I cant wait to see the new McLaren. It will be interesting to see how Button settles into the team. Lewis is a more brilliant and talented driver, hope he takes back the title.

11. Not what i expected, lets hope the other angles are great. The Ferrari is definately looking good.

12. Am I the only one thinking they should just go the whole hog and paint some shark eyes and a set of teeth on either side of the nose?

1. Magnificent Geoffrey
      29th January 2010, 10:50

More like MP”JAWS”-25, right?

…I’ll show myself out.

2. I was thinking the same thing with the ferrari launch yesterday !

3. I do miss the Jordan nose-art.

The hornet was the best though.

1. Prisoner Monkeys
        29th January 2010, 11:14

Yeah, but if anybody does Jordan-esque nose art, you know Eddie Jordan won’t shut up about it during broadcasts. He’d probably lay claim to the whole car, too.

4. or a duck. The cars are the right shape for that, but maybe not the image the teams are looking for.

13. Awesome looking beastie as usual. Thought they had the best looking car last year as well at this stage. Shame it drove like a Lada.

Like the shark fin – agree with Megatetsu – best fin I’ve seen yet. Looks very organic somehow.

Surprised but not disappointed that they have maintained the silver livery. Has become a classic colour scheme, right up there with the old JPS Lotus or yellow Jordans.

14. Ugly, shark fins should be banned.

15. another redbull nose :/

evil shark fins

16. hmmm, not keen on the sharkfin, however those exhausts will heat the rear tyres nicely!! :-)

17. Looks a bit like a Toyota from the end of last season….

Jump to comment page: 1 2 3 4 5