McLaren MP4-25 launch today

McLaren's MP4-25 was revealed early online

McLaren's MP4-25 was revealed early online

I’m heading to Vodafone’s headquarters today for the launch of McLaren’s 2010 F1 car, the MP4-25.

I intend to post updates from there throughout the day and McLaren are also broadcasting the launch online.

You can watch the McLaren launch live here.

The timetable for the launch is as follows (UK time):

11:00 – MP4-25 revealed
11:30 – Martin Whitmarsh, Jonathan Neale and Paddy Lowe press conference
12:00 – Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton press conference

I’ll do my best to add updates from the launch here and on Twitter but as this is the first time I’ve been to a launch like this I can’t say exactly how it’s going to work.

We’ve already had lots of suggestions for questions to ask at the launch – if you’ve got any ideas or thoughts on the launch please post them below.

Update: McLaren have asked fans talking about the launch on Twitter to use the hashtag #MP425. Tweets using that tag will be displayed on a special Twitter wall at the McLaren Technology Centre. I can imagine a few people wanting to have some mischief with that so I hope McLaren have got filters in place. Don’t forget to follow me on Twitter.

Update 2: Some early pictures of the car have appeared already – see the comments for more.

McLaren-Mercedes MP4-25 launch pictures

201 comments on McLaren MP4-25 launch today

1. sw6569 said on 29th January 2010, 9:55

have a good time!

anyone else not able to access the forums btw?

• Praveen Titus said on 29th January 2010, 10:38

yes, I’m not able to access the forums as well. Shows “unable to establish connection with database”

2. Prisoner Monkeys said on 29th January 2010, 9:55

Hoping for, but not expecting, a change in the livery. Even a small one would be nice.

• Haha, get a load of that front wing.

• Jasper said on 29th January 2010, 10:47

Sorry fellow McLaren fans but from the front that is not pretty! That high nose reminds me of BMW’s last season and the sidepod intakes are almost square! But from the side it looks pretty spectacular, elegantly sculpted at the back of the car. The question is, is it quick?

3. Prisoner Monkeys said on 29th January 2010, 10:06

First picture has emerged:

It has a shark fin, damnit.

4. Prisoner Monkeys said on 29th January 2010, 10:15

Top-down view is interesting: tiny sidepods, big rear end.

5. JUGNU said on 29th January 2010, 10:16

Less than 1 hour now. Can’t wait to see new Mclaren(s).
    I think like Ferrari’s launch, where 458 and California accompanied the 2010 F1 car, Mclaren might also park new MP4-12C alongside it’s 2010 F1 car. But i hope this time they present it in a better colour than hideous orange.
    Keith please take lot of HQ photos of both Mclarens.

Enjoy.

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 29th January 2010, 10:18

Side-on view … it looks mean. Not a fan of the shark fin, though. Never have been, never will be.

• Scribe said on 29th January 2010, 10:56

I’m rather pleased its not supporting an RB5 nose.

I’m rather concerned that its supporting a weird cross between renault and bmws last nose.

6. Terry Fabulous said on 29th January 2010, 10:18

I wish SOMEONE would change their livery!!!

Yes I’m looking at you Renault

7. Brendan said on 29th January 2010, 10:18

MP4-25 looks like a spaceship from the side. I LOVE it

• Super Nando said on 29th January 2010, 10:24

nice photoshopping :P

• Jezson said on 29th January 2010, 18:18

I’d be tempted to say its the white background image that’s Photoshopped and this is the original…

• Megatetsu said on 29th January 2010, 10:26

It’s the best looking adaptation of the shark fin in my opinion, it looks very sculpted into the shape of the engine cover, and the red on the tip is nice

• CounterStrike said on 29th January 2010, 10:39

Shame they kept the chrome livery, but on the design its certainly looks more aggressive than Merc,Williams or that copy/paste Ferrari.

Look at those sidepod openingss, obviously they are confident of engine cooling.

8. JUGNU said on 29th January 2010, 10:19

Looking very nice but shark fin not that much. Mclaren should have gone with normal engine cover for launch.

9. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 29th January 2010, 10:20

That’s hilarious – I’m over here at the launch and you’ve all seen the car already!

• Prisoner Monkeys said on 29th January 2010, 10:27

McLaren no doubt antitcipated this happening, especially since the Mercedes livery launch had the probem of the flashbulbs reflecting off the silver livery and making it difficult to see the design.

If it makes you feel any better, Keith, I’d rather be at the launch without having seen the car than to have seen the car without being at the launch.

10. ajokay said on 29th January 2010, 10:27

Even though the car is longer, the sidepods seem to be getting smaller and smaller. The top-down view shows it off best.

Not sure about the shark fin though. They make the back end of the cars look like busses from side-on.