“F1 2010″ by Codemasters arrives for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC in September

Early screenshot of F1 2010 by Codemasters

Early screenshot of F1 2010 by Codemasters

The long-awaited 2010 F1 season game by Codemasters will go on sale in September this year.

“F1 2010″ is being produced for Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and PC. Players will get to drive the new Korean Grand Prix circuit in the game before the cars have raced there for real.

See below for the first screenshots of the game.

The only officially-licensed F1 game will feature all the tracks and cars from this year’s F1 season. The new rules including the refuelling ban will also be simulated.

However none of last season’s cars will feature due to licensing restrictions.

Here’s how Codemasters describe the title:

In “F1 2010″ gamers will take on the full, expanded grid in a variety of game modes including Grand Prix, Championship, Time Trial and an extensive, innovative Career mode. “F1 2010″ will also feature a highly advanced damage model, fully dynamic weather system and extensive competitive multiplayer options.

In production at Codemasters Studios Birmingham, “F1 2010″ is being developed using the EGO Game Technology Platform, Codemasters? proprietary tech that powered the critically acclaimed, million-plus selling “Colin McRae: Dirt 2″ and “Race Driver: Grid”. The award-winning technology has been further developed to accurately recreate the unique aerodynamics and handling of 200mph-plus Formula One cars. The tech combined with Codemasters? unprecedented access to Formula One teams and drivers will ensure that “F1 2010″ delivers the most authentic Formula One racing experience yet.

There will be a launch event for the game next week at which I hope to find out more about the title, such as how they plan to create a realistic version of a circuit that hasn’t been raced on yet.

When the game was first announced last year we drew up an exhaustive wish list with over 300 comments suggesting ideas fans would like to see in it. Which of these should make it into the final game?

Let me know what else you’d like to find out about the game at the launch in the comments.

“F1 2010″ pictures

Codemasters “F1 2010″

107 comments on “F1 2010″ by Codemasters arrives for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC in September

1 2 3 4
  1. Spud said on 10th March 2010, 14:04

Can’t wait!

2. GeeMac said on 10th March 2010, 14:07

My wishlist is quite short:

1) If the career mode doesn’t make me want to leave work early to carry on playing, it has failed; and
    2) Have a realistic difference in the performace of the different cars to make winning a race in an HRT feel like a challenge.

But I’ll probably buy it even if it is useless…

• JHunt123 said on 10th March 2010, 15:57

Wow nice graphics can’t wait. I think if its realistic then FINISHING a race in HRT should be a challenge ..

• Andre said on 10th March 2010, 16:19

I gotta say, Ill do the same. but i do hope it wont suck.

• Monad said on 10th March 2010, 23:20

I just hope that when you drive, the cars feel like they are banging on the road and kerbs and not sliding like figure skating. That was one characteristic Colin Mcray rally had that was very unrealistic.
        There attempt to simulate overstear and understear looked more like sliding on soap.

• The only thing I want in this game is simple: SAFETY CAR. That’s it simple as that, oh and realistic career mode, ie:

a. Lewis Hamilton started his career in a top team, so why can’t I start in a top team?
      b. Drivers can move to teams, ex: Mark Webber can move to Lotus, or Bruno Senna can move to a mclaren.
      c. I can retire whenever I want to, it sucks to only compete in 5 short seasons.
      d. Features GP2 or other “lower class” formula drivers, or ex formula 1 drivers, like Adam Carroll or Kimi Raikkonen for instance.
      e. “Lower class” formula drivers can be promoted to F1, you don’t expect drivers Mark Webber, Michael Schumacher to compete every season, give the young drivers a chance to shine.

And finally: Scenario Mode/Challenge Mode, ex; Be Kimi Raikkonen at Suzuka 2005, drive Jaques Villeneuve’s car in Jerez 1997 to safety, Be Ayrton Senna, and held Nigel Mansell in Monaco 1992, etc.

• GeeMac said on 11th March 2010, 7:47

From what I’ve seen of the Wii version there are challenges, but they are no where near as interesting as the ones you suggested! They involve things like trying to pass 10 number of cars in 2 laps, or getting home in 8th place at Spa with 2 laps to go on slicks when it has just started raining…

3. spud said on 10th March 2010, 14:07

Great stuff. Can’t wait!

4. Martin Stanley said on 10th March 2010, 14:09

Coming out in September, that’s around the same time as GT5. I hope it doesn’t get overlooked too much.

• ajokay said on 10th March 2010, 14:18

Yeaah… i reckon GT5 will end up seeing the light of day in 2011 maybe.

Those screenshots look awfully good, but the questions is how much post production they’ve had slepped on them and if they’re representative of in-game polygon counts, lighting, and detail levels.

The most important thing is how the game plays though. Hopefully they won’t be using the physics engine used in GRID, as that game was far too arcadey and easy to play. beautiful, but arcadey.

• Brad Leigh said on 10th March 2010, 14:47

Those sure don’t look like in-game screenshots. I’m so excited for this game, yet so skeptical after F1 2009.

• I wouldn’t see the point of them putting up fake or enhanced screenshots anyway, especially if they’re going to look different when the game comes out.

• ajokay said on 10th March 2010, 15:58

Near enough every games company does it when creating hype for their game. They even employ people specifically for tarting up screenshots. So you can never be too sure.

• themark said on 11th March 2010, 0:14

Pennyarcade.com conveniently coined the term “Bullshot” for that exact type of overly optimistic image. These images are so obviously tarted up for us. Show me some real screen shots from in-car, or post a short video demo (even if it’s beta) and then, maybe, I’ll be impressed. Their PSP game was really awful so I’m not holding my breath for the PC game.

• Invoke said on 10th March 2010, 15:48

They definitely look like the Ego engine to me, you can turn off the horribly intense bloom effect though so don’t worry.

Hopefully they won’t be using the physics engine used in GRID

It’s the same game engine. They usually improve it for each new game & may improve the physics (I hope), but expect it to still be catered more towards a gamepad than a wheel.

• if it is catered for a gamepad rather than a wheel, then it sucks big time. f1 cars uses steering wheel for control, so why cant the game?

5. The Comedian 39 said on 10th March 2010, 14:13

At last!

hopefully drivers will move teams in career mode, unlike F1 06.

Hopefully 24 player online too.

6. F1 Outsider said on 10th March 2010, 14:13

Gran Turismo 5 is supposed to come out in November I think… so I’ll probably end up skipping the F1 game.

• Lee Sharp said on 10th March 2010, 17:17

Gran Tourismo 5 was meant to be a launch title for the ps3……

• Jarred Walmsley said on 10th March 2010, 18:30

It was, it was just the prologue version

• F1 Outsider said on 10th March 2010, 20:25

Gran Turismo Prologue was actually just a glorified playable demo. They had to come out with it because it was taking them so long to finalize the game. It even retailed for half the price of a regular PS3 game.

It didn’t have the Nurburgring though, so replayability for me is limited.

7. Robert McKay said on 10th March 2010, 14:16

My only wishlist is it makes me forget the Wii version of F1 2009.

8. Salut Gilles said on 10th March 2010, 14:18

Wish there was some way for the game to come up with new cars every season, though I realize that, for several reasons, licensing included, that’d be next to impossible.

• ajokay said on 10th March 2010, 14:22

Although you just know the PC version will be modded to high heaven with new cars and tracks, once clever players find their way around the file formats and structure, just like the Grand Prix games.

9. Ned Flanders said on 10th March 2010, 14:18

Ahhhh 6 months to wait, I was hoping it’d be out earlier, especially since it’s already been delayed from 2009. Then again, I suppose the release date is just a sales technique to capitalise on the high interest in F1 at the end of the season. But, like Martin says above, going up against Gran Turismo isn’t going to do it any good.

I wonder what they mean by ‘innovative career mode’? It would be great if the calender changed between seasons, and drivers moved between teams every so often, otherwise it’ll just feel like repeating the 2010 season again and again rather than actually progressing.

But top of my wish list is Safety Car’s. They would be great!

10. Peter said on 10th March 2010, 14:19

The very limited spare time I can use for gaming goes to WoW.

• Alex White said on 10th March 2010, 15:56

oh god NOO! :P

sorry, i just hate Wow with a passion… same with iRacing. (overpriced, and not much fun):)

11. Are they doing a new Wii game?

(hopefully with working mirrors, pitstops you can drive yourself, cars that don’t smack into the back of you, cars that don’t slow to a standstill when being lapped, no stupid penalties, and a Monaco where you can actually damage a car and where tyres last longer than 6 laps?!)

12. Christian Biddon said on 10th March 2010, 14:24

I really don’t see this as going up against GT5.That particular game was originally due out as a release game for the PS3 and has been continuously delayed ever since.

It made me laugh in December as a work collegue almost pre-ordered it as the release date was March 2010. I tried to place a £20 bet with him that it would not be released in March and he declinded to offer. Guess what, it is now delayed until November.

Anyone want to bet that it won’t be out in November? :-)

• ajokay said on 10th March 2010, 14:27

As I said further up, I bet 2011 is when we’ll see it. Even though every screenshot from the past year says shows what looks like a finished game.

The handelling of the 370z in the GT Academy demo was shockingly bad though.

• Icthyes said on 10th March 2010, 15:08

I was about to mention this, I was sure the original promised date was March 2010. In fact, when I started reading the link title to this article, I thought it was going to be a review!

Still, by November maybe I’ll actually have a PS3!

• Hallard said on 10th March 2010, 15:22

I remember in 2008, when it was mentioned that GT5 would not be released until some time in 2010…people were in total disbelief. Kazunori Yamauchi laughed it off when asked to confirm it, and yet here we are…

13. Patrickl said on 10th March 2010, 14:30

I played the Wii version and it was an incredibly poor game. The graphics were nice (by Wii standards), but the car handling was absurd.

Hope they do better on this version, but I doubt it very much.

14. Gustav said on 10th March 2010, 14:31

I’ve been following the development of another f1-game called Grand Prix Racing Manager for a few years now.. They’re currently doing beta, but it has been work in progress for 10 years. It should be out around summer 2010 I think.. Graphics are nothing to speak of, but the manager part looks really interesting in my opinion – they are enthusiasts, so they’ve taken care of a lot of details. Check it out if you please http://www.gprm.co.uk

Also join their facebook group, rumour has it when they reach 600 members we’ll see video footage of gameplay :D

15. nemo said on 10th March 2010, 14:34

YES YES YES

so glad its comming over to 360 after years of PS only..!

cant wait :D