Safety car deployed in Codemasters’ F1 2011

F1 game

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Montreal, 2011

Expect to spend a long time behind the safety car at Montreal in F1 2011

Codemasters have confirmed the safety car will feature in F1 2011, the official F1 game to be released next month.

The feature was in high demand from fans after it was not included in last year’s F1 2010.

Codemasters’ communications manager Andy Gray revealed the news on Twitter and posted photographs showing the car in the game.

Gray said the safety car will feature online as well as in single-player races. It can be turned off and is only available in races of more than 20% full distance.

There is no option to drive the safety car and the camera angle does not change when it is deployed.

He added players will “have control behind the safety car but there’ll be some restrictions.”

Codemasters will release F1 2011 on September 23rd for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC.

Buy / pre-order F1 2011 for Sony PlayStation 3
Buy / pre-order F1 2011 for Microsoft Xbox 360

F1 2011 by Codemasters

F1 Fanatic earns a commission on products sold via the links to our affiliate partners above, however you are not charged any extra. See here for more information.

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

110 comments on Safety car deployed in Codemasters’ F1 2011

1. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 17th August 2011, 12:04

Judging by people’s reactions Codemasters have introduced both the most-wanted feature (the safety car) and the second most-wanted feature (turning the safety car off).

• TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 17th August 2011, 12:11

Very true. I’m so glad you can turn it on and off. I’m sure I’ll give it a try for novelty purposes but can’t see myself racing with it on all the time.

Depends how often it gets deployed. Hopefully it’s rarely like in real life.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 17th August 2011, 12:21

LOL, good one. And I fully agree.

Nice for novelty or bringing it closer for real hard core hard core fanatics (who will be annoyed at other things like not having warmup laps), but who will want to do this for more then a few races.

2. Anybody remember in F1 ’99 when you could actually drive it? :)

3. xtophe (@xtophe) said on 17th August 2011, 13:18

Considering I don’t buy the suggestion that CM will have ironed out a lot of the original bugs because it is their second try, the SC will just be another possibility to have some sort of bug. I’ve played through CoD1-2-4 and everytime a new gimmick was introduced, a plethora of new (and old) bugs joined along the way. Since games have disappointed me greatly out-of-the-box, F1 2011 goes into the way-and-see category until I can test it myself. If all else fails, let’s hope the modding community will be as active as with F1 2010.

4. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 17th August 2011, 13:46

Good news!

Hopefully it won’t just have been shoe-horned in. That could be a real nightmare.

I’m hoping that it sorts out the online play (if people choose to turn it on!). Far too many idiots get away with ignoring general etiquette but if they know they will be penalised when they smash into someone by bringing the SC out it might educate them a little more.

• Coefficient said on 17th August 2011, 14:08

Don’t get me wrong, I want the safety car in. I would also like the formation lap and slowing down lap. It would be fun to hear your engineer saying to you “great race, well done. Pick up rubber please” and then you pull into the pit lane and park up etc.

It is good that it can be turned off though as it could encourage the on-line nasties who just like to ruin races to cause an incident just before the pit lane entry and dive in the pits for their mandatory stop whilst the safety car holds everyone else up. I know it sound far fetched but it could happen, ask Nelson Piquet jnr. Slightly different circumstances I know but I think the point still stands.

5. Stephen Higgins said on 17th August 2011, 14:35

Play of any of Papyrus’s PC NASCAR games and that shows how you can get a good saftey-car-in-a-racing-game balance.

6. alilane4 (@alilane4) said on 17th August 2011, 15:35

I remember something about the player being able to skip the safety car period if they want. This would be good if it gets a bit boring.

I am of the side that loves the idea of realism. A warm up lap, a warm down lap and even getting the car onto the grid in the first place (drive out of the pits, round the track then the engine turns off once you reach a certain point and the car gets pushed through the grid on “auto steering”). Anything to add realism to the game is great for me.

7. Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 17th August 2011, 16:23

Never seen so many people excited to see a safety car. Normally, they equate to boredom. ;) :D

8. Why not tie the SC and historic missions together? You could try to recreate Singapore all over again…

9. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 17th August 2011, 19:51

Safety Car deployed in Codemaster’s F1 2011

:lol:

Pretty good they put this in and doubly so by making it optional. With the recent PS3 price drop announced I may be tempted to splash out a bit…

10. RumFRESH (@rumfresh) said on 17th August 2011, 20:32

I think it’s great. Sometimes if I’m far in the lead, the race does start to get boring because it feels like I’m the only one racing. In a real race you’d be far more involved obviously and this wouldn’t be the case. But in a game it can be rather dull. The safety car will also add uncertainty to the race and create more overtaking opportunities on the restart. As people say, yes if you don’t like it, switch it off. This is the official Formula One game and they need to be as authentic as possible.

11. spursfan39 said on 17th August 2011, 23:54

I’m not at all bothered about the safety car. I’ll use it at first, but I reckon I’ll get bored of it and turn it off. Also, people have wanted it, but it isn’t needed – wrecked vehicles and debris just disappear, marshals and cranes don’t clear the wreckage, so why is it needed?

• TommyC said on 19th August 2011, 9:30

“Also, people have wanted it, but it isn’t needed – wrecked vehicles and debris just disappear, marshals and cranes don’t clear the wreckage, so why is it needed?”

Perhaps they will then? Maybe we’ll see cars off the side of the track for the remainder of a race after it’s been placed in a position deemed safe after a race ending incident.

12. UKfanatic (@) said on 18th August 2011, 0:59

surprise! nice touch the safety car

13. chaostheory said on 18th August 2011, 9:39

Thats a good news. If done properly I cant imagine racing without it. But knowing Codemasters they are brilliant at screwing things up, so I’ll be carefull until I see the game.

14. spanky the wonder monkey said on 18th August 2011, 11:21

can’t say it bothers me either way. unlikely i’d use it as i find the SC tedious. i just hope that the flaws in the core of 2010 were sorted before time was spent on the SC stuff. the old “must do, should do, could do” priorities.
    what i think would be worthwhile is a physical mod that fries a bit of castrol r at the start of each race ;-)

15. Mike Weston said on 18th August 2011, 16:03

There is real skill to driving behind the safety car. Brake temperatures, tyres temps and pressures. Codemasters say they have worked hard on the pirelli tyres and you can feel the degredation. Hopefully you can feel the temperatures drop off behind the safety car and the pressures drop so when you head into turn 1, the car is a totally different beast to that 2 laps ago. Cold brakes as well and locking up into turn 1. That would be a fun challenge. But if this not the case, it will be much like F1 2000 unfortunately. The safety car was very fustrating in that game. I once moved alongside the safety car trying to get temp and I got immediately disqualified which wasn’t fun. Also, the restrictions make it sound like the parade lap on f106. The parade lap was quite boring as you could actually let go of the controller and the car would go round the track itself and who wants that. We want TOTAL control codemasters