Farmers plan protest at Indian Grand Prix

F1 Fanatic round-up

In the round-up: Indian Grand Prix organisers pour scorn on a threatened by local farmers.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Farmers threaten India’s debut F1 race (Bangkok Post)

“‘This whole thing is a big joke,’ said an executive from the company who did not want to be named. ‘People should not be taking these threats seriously. There is so much riding on the race for the company and the country, do you think we will allow a handful of farmers to spoil it?’”

Keith Collantine via Twitter

“Writing an article for the FIA’s Institute Quarterly magazine. Look out for it in their next issue.”

Via the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app

Schumacher?s battle bus goes under the hammer (The Daily Telegraph)

“Designed by Pininfarina, this Iveco Domino HDH coach is offered at no reserve, with an estimated price of between ??200,000 and ??300,000. The high-roof coach was used by the F1 team during the Schumacher/Barrichello years of 2001?ǣ2005, when Schumacher won the last four of his seven world championships.”

Mark Webber via Twitter

“I’m hearing about a misquote about my plans to fight for the title next year, always possible to miss/add a few words for a good story…”

Via the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app

Interview with Sam Michael (F1News.cz, PDF)

“The low-line gearbox and extreme driveshaft angles were certainly the benchmark if you’re pushing the design in that direction. I expect to see some elements of the design on other cars in 2012, regardless of the fact that it wasn’t a big enough differentiator to make the Williams a strong car this year. the design was to enable the rear lower wing to work most effectively.”

Thanks Petr Hlawiczka for the tip

Anthony Davidson via Twitter

“I reckon to make things harder for himself, Vet should drive the entire race with ‘that finger’ in the air.”

Via the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app

Williams F1 Confirms Attendance at Aspire 4 Sport Congress (Williams)

“Sir Frank and at least one of the Williams F1 drivers will attend the conference.”

Follow F1 news as it breaks using the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app.

Comment of the day

Journeyer on Jenson Button’s debt to Ross Brawn:

Man, he should be thanking Ross Brawn a million times over for saving BAR/Honda/BGP/Mercedes. That was the difference between: 10 GP wins, a long-term McLaren deal, and being a world champion; and a Renault F1 drive with a handful of podiums and an utter lack of success.
Journeyer

From the forum

Part discussion point on the British Car Championship, part excuse to show off one of my favourite new features on the site – video embedding in the forum:

Site updates

In case you’ve got this far without having noticed, a lot of new changes were introduced on the site yesterday. Read all about them here:

One glitch I have noticed with the site is your avatar may not be working correctly if you previously uploaded it via Gravatar. You can fix this by uploading your avatar via you profile (My Account > Profile > Change Avatar).

I am aware of a few other problems including, most significantly, the menu not working properly on the mobile site. These are being looked into.

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to gaston_pdu!

On this day in F1

Emerson Fittipaldi won his second drivers’ championship title on this day in 1974.

But the season finale at Watkins Glen was marred by a crash that claimed the life of Surtees driver Helmuth Koinigg.

63 comments on Farmers plan protest at Indian Grand Prix

1. F1 98 said on 6th October 2011, 7:14

Ive been to india

2. Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 6th October 2011, 7:33

Raj, I like your optomism and hope that Buddh is as clean as you suggest, it will do a world of good for the perception of Indian business.

3. Stefanauss (@stefanauss) said on 6th October 2011, 8:07

Is it me or is there anyone else under the impression that the circuit is way too much far from finished with just just 3 weeks to go? Certainly worse than Korea a year ago.

What is wrong with organizers these days? I also remember Interlagos had his fair amount of issues getting the last bunch FIA-required improvements for track and facilities a while ago. (Although It probably was due to lack of funding at the time, I don’t recall exactly)

There are also the news about Austin. The trend seems to be that once the new venue is confirmed and on calendar, organizers starts slacking off.

The last time I was really impressed with how a new venue got prepared for the debut, and how everything gave the feeling it was there for quite some time was Malaysia 1999.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 6th October 2011, 8:30

As for Austin, the Statesmen reported they were starting to go at it again in Texas.

I think the big difference between the Indian track and Korea last year is the focus they had on making the track surface itself fine in India, and leaving the buildings for last. Korea had big trouble doing the track itself, which is far more dangerous for the race.

• Stefanauss (@stefanauss) said on 6th October 2011, 12:41

You’re right, of course it’s better to secure the tarmac first. But that was not the only thing left out in Korea last year. I’m almost sure to remember that the facilities inside the layout of the track, namely the artificial lake and a few other things were not completed on schedule for the race. They promised they will last year.

• Stefanauss (@stefanauss) said on 6th October 2011, 12:43

Ops. They promised they will this year.

4. smifaye (@smifaye) said on 6th October 2011, 9:15

I really hope the Indian GP is as good as it looks on F1 2011, I know it is only a game but the track reminds me of Magny Cours and looks like a good track to drive. I hope they can make it go smoothly and that they get some character into the race.

5. Calum (@calum) said on 6th October 2011, 15:43

Nice new avatar for the nice new updates – I couldn’t find the (Mclaren MP4-)26 image I’d been using all season :(

6. Schumi My Love said on 6th October 2011, 19:15

Hey Anybody Has Idea Where To Download The F1 Coverage By SKY deutschland ?I Am A German living in uk,although i like BBC coverage i want to watch singapore gp in sky coverage!!!so any download links for sky de???

7. Fixy (@fixy) said on 6th October 2011, 20:08

@keithcollantine don’t worry about the glitches on the site, with such a radicale change this minimal mistakes are normal and couldn’t have been prevented. Even with these the site is great!