Rate the race: 2011 Japanese Grand Prix

2011 Japanese Grand Prix

What did you think of the Japanese Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 Japanese Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (1%)
  • 5 (4%)
  • 6 (10%)
  • 7 (30%)
  • 8 (30%)
  • 9 (19%)
  • 10 (4%)

Total Voters: 447

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2011 Japanese Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Japanese Grand Prix articles

172 comments on Rate the race: 2011 Japanese Grand Prix

1 2 3 6
  1. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 9th October 2011, 8:36

9. What. A. Race.

That would have to be the best we’ve seen since Canada. Extraordinary drives from Button and Alonso. I can’t believe what I’ve just seen!

• magon4 (@magon4) said on 9th October 2011, 8:38

Fantastic drive by Jenson Button, making it clear who is this year’s number 1 driver at McLaren. Vettel drove it home, Alonso was awesome… great racing, too! An 8.

• Ads21 (@ads21) said on 9th October 2011, 8:40

Agree I gave it a 9 as well absolutely gripping race on a fantastic circuit

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 9th October 2011, 9:49

I found Germany, and I think Hungary, possibly even Italy, far more exciting personally.

7 for me.

• zippyone (@zippyone) said on 9th October 2011, 9:49

9/10 for me. A gripping race, Button drove great once again and I was surprised by Alonso’s speed. Bad luck again for Hamilton (puncture) but he didn’t seem to have the pace to have won anyway – or maybe he had picked up some damage?

Massive congratulations to Vettel – he has been amazing all season!

• jeepneyman (@jeepneyman) said on 9th October 2011, 12:19

8, what a race!

• Nick.UK (@) said on 9th October 2011, 14:51

6. Great drives sure, but exciting to watch? Not in particular. There were not a great deal of overtakes after the start, and it was mostly done via the pitlane. Thus… not fantastic in my book.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 10th October 2011, 15:57

8/10
      Jenson and Fernando had incredible races, strange to see Vettel with such problems.
      Massa was having a great race until the third (?) pit stop, and since he was behind Webber he lost it, and ruined a good race by failing to pass Schumacher.
      He was going to have his best result of the season (4th) but ended a deluding 7th.

2. JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 9th October 2011, 8:37

Almost as good as it gets without rain

3. Elliot Horwood (@elliothorwoodf1) said on 9th October 2011, 8:40

Jenson Button Almost had the FIRST perfect race weekend!

(Topping every practice session, Pole Position, Race win, and Fastest Lap)

Only thing Jenson didnt get was Pole Position.

4. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 9th October 2011, 8:41

WHAT A RACE! My god, what a race… speechless (or quite sleepy…) but what a fantasitc grand prix. Superb racetrack, incredible speedm great fights and such a tense strategic battle. Vettel is the champion, but kudos to Pirelli. 9/10.

5. Shomir (@shomir) said on 9th October 2011, 8:41

10, absolute thriller of a race, had to hold my pee in!

6. Cryptowillem (@cryptowillem) said on 9th October 2011, 8:44

A perfect weekend for Jenson! A fantastic result for Vettel. The race gets a 9 from me, and +1 for the Podium celebrations. So, all told, 10/10 from me!

7. UKFan (@) said on 9th October 2011, 8:44

9.0 a 10 if we had an last lap overtake

8. Lachie (@lachie) said on 9th October 2011, 8:45

Stunning race from Vettel, never saw it comi….. wait, what? He lost? This is 2011 right? :D

Fair play and congrats to him on winning, at least we don’t have to sit through the feigned championship tension now and we can just watch some nice exhibition races.

9. Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 9th October 2011, 8:46

WEB 4. HAM 5 by 16s. I’m just saying…

Perfect ace. Thanks BUT.

10. Antranik (@antranik) said on 9th October 2011, 8:46

That was an absolutely amazing race. 9/10

11. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 9th October 2011, 8:47

As much as I love the circuit, and as much as I enjoy Jenson Button’s success, I always find the Japanese Grand Prix to be the strangest on the calendar. The atmosphere is completely different to, say, Brazil or Great Britain or Spain or Italy. Maybe it’s in the way the Japanese fans greet the drivers with polite applause rather than cheering masses. I don’t know. But I always find the atmosphere to be a little flat, lacking that larger-than-life quality that other races have.

• Trenthamfolk (@trenthamfolk) said on 9th October 2011, 8:53

Were you asleep? I thought the crowd are brilliant in Japan.. The Red Bull cans in the stands were particularly good! You’re bound to get differences based on the culture of the hosts, but that’a part of the appeal for me…

• Mike (@mike) said on 9th October 2011, 9:31

The Japanese crowd have to be one of the most enthusiastic on the calender, if anything it’s a criticism of the TV feed that it didn’t show through.

• I have to agree with PM on this. The Japanese GP just never seems to thrill me. Today I was watching it and liking it but I wasn’t on the edge of my seat and REALLY enjoying it until the last 5 or so laps.

What it is about the Japanese GP, I don’t know. It could be its late afternoon time slot, it being the same weekend as Bathurst, I’m not sure but it just never seems as thrilling as some of the other races.

7/10 for me.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 9th October 2011, 12:40

I don’t understand what you’re talking about! :P I hate races being on during the day, as it means I can’t be left alone to watch without being disturbed, but I still absolutely loved that race. The crowds are probably the most enthusiastic and crazy in the world. They had some fans dressed up as onboard cameras on Saturday!

• Perhaps when the 2014 regs come out we’l hear them a little more ;)

I do agree though, but its just them and their culture. If anything its nice that it is different rather then having the same type of crowd every race. That said, at least they turn up in their droves unlike some other races and they certainly make the best effort in attire! Loved the Redbull can costumes & the Camera-mount Caps.

• tokyospark (@tokyospark) said on 11th October 2011, 3:33

Were you there? If not, then you have no idea. Trust me, the fans are just as excited, and the stands are FULL. The fact that the track is not opened to the crowd post-race is a bit of a downer IMHO, but at least they let us walk the back half now. Albeit in the pitch dark this year because of the later start time.

12. Bigbadderboom (@bigbadderboom) said on 9th October 2011, 8:48

It was a good race but not brilliant, excellent from JB and ALO, some good battles but would have been better if DRS was better placed. overall 7/10 but I may change my mind later when I see highlights as I’m shattered right now, very early start today! Off to work now!

13. Anyone know why Hamilton had that puncture at the beginning?

14. Kazuki (@formula-1) said on 9th October 2011, 8:49

2. Quiet boring really. The highest point of drama was when Buemi’s wheel came off. The last few laps were ok but nothing special.

• dirgegirl (@dirgegirl) said on 9th October 2011, 9:02

Wow – nerves of steel, obviously!

• JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 9th October 2011, 9:11

If you don’t enjoy watching F1, why bother?

• That’s a bit of a simplistic point of view, isn’t it? Are we not allowed to say negative things about F1 now? Are we all expected to sing from the same hymn sheet? Is dissent frowned upon?

I suppose we should be grateful you didn’t brand the other poster a “hater”.

Oh dearie me. Try and be a bit more open-minded in future.

• JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 11th October 2011, 23:26

The highest point of drama was when Buemi’s wheel came off

I’m open minded, not everyone likes F1, some people like golf. I wouldn’t go onto a golf website and make inane comments.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 9th October 2011, 9:12

Maybe you were watching a replay of last years race? This one was far better than a 2/10.

We had some action at the start, Buemi losing his wheel was the least of it. We had Hamilton and Massa close several times. We had another nice pass from Webber, the fighting between Perez, Alguersuari, Petrov, Kobayashi, DiResta and Sutil with Rosberg in there at times came up nicely throughout the race.

Button was hunting Vettel from the start after he got past Hamilton. He was close at the first stop, jumped him at the second with a string of really fast laps. Then kept him behind on still cold tyres, managed the restart beautifully.

We had nice scraps between Webber and Schumacher as well. Schumacher leading a couple of laps and Alonso getting mightily close to Button in the end. A bit of talking about Webber being told not to think about having a go at Vettel. And Vettel closing on Alonso at the end.

I am not yet decided on the score, but it will be in the 7-9 range for certain.

• Kazuki (@formula-1) said on 9th October 2011, 11:14

Everybody has a different oppinion, maybe it’s different watching watching it on TV compred to being there to watch it in person.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 10th October 2011, 19:17

You were there in person @forumla-1 ? We might disagree on how good/bad a race it has been, but I find very little understanding for giving it a 2.
          It must have been big parts of the on track action were not clear on the big screens if you were there, as there was quite some action, if not even close to races like China, Canada or Germany this year.
          Just compare it to Valencia, where there was far less to say for it having been a good race. If you do that, are you still sure Japan 2011 deserves to be rated this low down?

• CeeVee (@ceevee) said on 9th October 2011, 22:13

I’m with you on that. I switched over to the rugby after the first few laps and then caught the close after the rugby was over. I think I made the right choice as the rugby was a tight, exciting match with the result in doubt until the whistle went. The race on the other hand seemed to be yet another high speed train with a few DRS enhanced overtakes. In spite of what the majority of comments have been I think this season has actually been quite dull. The racing is now artificial, relying on technical gizmos and tyres designed to last just a few laps in an attempt to generate some spectator interest. I’ve been wondering about the BBC highlights programmes for next season and I reckon most races this season would have been condensed down to a five minute package at most. How many times can you show a car entering the pits and changing four tyres, or watch the same two or three cars following each other in a high speed procession before you realise it’s just not very exciting.

15. adamtys (@adamtys) said on 9th October 2011, 8:51

best race this year. Full marks from me

1 2 3 6