Vote for the Korean GP driver of the weekend

2011 Korean Grand Prix

Start, Korea, 2011

Start, Korea, 2011

Who was the most impressive driver throughout the Korean Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the Korean Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the Korean Grand Prix weekend:

Sebastian Vettel – Notched up his tenth win of the year after breaking free of Hamilton on the first lap.

Lewis Hamilton – A welcome return to form, he was especially impressive in qualifying to put something other than a Red Bull on pole for the first time this year.

Jaime Alguersuari – Matched the best result of his race after chasing down the tyre-troubled Nico Rosberg.

Sebastien Buemi – Like his team mate, enjoyed a great race with the updated STR6, delayed only by being hit at the first corner.

Heikki Kovalainen – Finished ahead of both Saubers and was reeling Bruno Senna in at the end to boot.

Compare all the drivers

Review what happened to each driver over the race weekend and compare their performances with their team mates using the links below:

Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Renault: Bruno Senna and Vitaly Petrov
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Pastor Maldonado
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen
HRT: Daniel Ricciardo and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Virgin: Timo Glock and Jerome d’Ambrosio

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most throughout the Korean Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the Korean Grand Prix weekend?

• Sebastian Vettel (22%)
  • Mark Webber (2%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (36%)
  • Jenson Button (1%)
  • Fernando Alonso (2%)
  • Felipe Massa (0%)
  • Michael Schumacher (1%)
  • Nico Rosberg (0%)
  • Bruno Senna (0%)
  • Vitaly Petrov (0%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Pastor Maldonado (0%)
  • Adrian Sutil (0%)
  • Paul di Resta (0%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (0%)
  • Sergio Perez (0%)
  • Sebastien Buemi (0%)
  • Jaime Alguersuari (23%)
  • Heikki Kovalainen (10%)
  • Jarno Trulli (0%)
  • Daniel Ricciardo (0%)
  • Vitantonio Liuzzi (0%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Jerome d'Ambrosio (3%)

Total Voters: 489

Loading ... Loading ...

Rate the Race: Korean Grand Prix

Don’t forget to cast your vote in the ‘rate the race’ poll as well:

Image ?é?® Korean GP/Sutton

104 comments on Vote for the Korean GP driver of the weekend

1 2 3 4
  1. i must vote for Schumacher, he had a great race until that …. particular moment when Petrov tried to overtake Alonso

• As a big Schumacher fan I applaud your choice – but have to disagree this time! He had a poor qualifying, and, although I think he would have finished around about where Alguersuari and Rosberg did, I don’t think that’s worthy of the DotW award!

• but he had problems with car, complaining about vibrations. in race he had great start – gain 2 positions, then overtook di resta i think. close on petrov and past him and alonso in the pits, tried to past perez but then race was over

• Alain (@paganbasque) said on 18th October 2011, 8:19

I am also a great MSC fan but this time Lewis absolutely deserves my vote!.

Anyway, Michael is driving very well, I hope we will have another chance to vote him as a driver of the weekend! :)

2. matt90 (@matt90) said on 17th October 2011, 19:11

Hard to choose. Vettel did everything he needed to to win. He dominated. Hamilton let Vettel through too easily but clearly didn’t have the car to compete for the win, and defended brilliantly against Webber. Alguersuari was impressive too. I’m undecided so far.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 22nd October 2011, 15:39

I picked Alguersuari because Vettel wasn’t on pole and Hamilton didn’t win. Both had incredible weekends, Lewis especially conidering his last races, but Jaime’s result is impressive.

3. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 17th October 2011, 19:13

This is another one of those tricky ones. I have narrowed it down to three, Alguersuari, Vettel and Hamilton.

Alguersuari had another brilliant race. I now completely refuse to accept any suggestion that his place in a racing seat is under threat. He’s proved multiple times this year that he has the ability and the racecraft to stay in Formula 1 on merit. Last weekend was another example.

Sebastian Vettel had another Sebastian Vettel-like weekend. He took another dominant victory having skilfully worked his way past Hamilton on the opening lap. There isn’t really anything else to say, really.

But I think I’m going to have to give this one to Lewis Hamilton. There is something seriously not right with the lad at the moment and even after all of the criticism, all of the pressure and all of the contact, he produced a brilliant qualifying lap to take McLaren’s first pole of the season and while I’m sure he was hoping for more, he proved that he hasn’t lost any of his truly exceptional racing potential on Sunday. The way he managed to keep Webber behind him on merit despite all of the odds being stacked against him was very impressive. I’m sure 2012 can’t come soon enough for Lewis so I imagine these final, pressure-free races are going to do wonders for his confidence that I am sure has been rocked over the past few months. If he keeps producing these sorts of drives for the final few races, the real Lewis Hamilton will be back for 2012 – and I would be very afraid if I was one of the top guys.

4. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 17th October 2011, 19:18

Between Alguesuari and Kovalainen, but Alguesuari’s result was just stunning. Well done to both of them.

• I had the same decision to make. I added Hamilton to my evaluation. I eventually went for Alguersuari though as he didn’t put a foot wrong and proved he used his head regarding the weighing up of where to pass on the last lap – he used all his KERS in one burst, along with DRS, and it payed off, massively!

• Scribe (@scribe) said on 18th October 2011, 14:42

I often vote Hamilton, gotta soft spot for the lad, he’s my guy.

HOWEVER, Heikki is just such a dude, talk about fixing your rep, whenever there’s a chance for the new teams, it is always, without fail, him. An his car must be a proper handful to drive, and he’s a lovley guy. I would love to see him scoring some points.

5. George (@george) said on 17th October 2011, 19:38

Hamilton for me, there was a lot of negativity surrounding him after his poor (by his standards) performance in Japan, but he was strong through all the practice sessions and qualifying, then the only mistake he made in the race was letting Vettel past on lap 1.

Add to that his understeer problems (Ted Kravitz said it was marbles stuck in his front wing, so not a setup issue), and it was a very impressive performance compared to his team-mate, who has been on top form recently.

• mcmclaren said on 18th October 2011, 17:10

why are so many people saying he let seb through or he made a mistake…its called slipstream and it was always inevitable

its just a pitty he couldn’t come back on him…I was hopeing jenson would have put some pressure on webber and give lewis a break for a while…but clearly not!

what was a surprise to me is how quick the performance gap between lewis’s supers and webbers softs evened out (althoug lewis did have FDF problems)

6. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 17th October 2011, 19:39

Not easy to choose, it was between Kovalainen, Alguersuari and Vettel for me but I went with Heikki. He did a great qualifying lap, and fought hard during the race. Where he gets the motivation is beyond me, but he looks to always be trying his hardest to drag that Lotus up the field. Vettel had another near flawless race and Alguersuari continues to impress but this week I’m going to acknowledge Heikki’s efforts!

7. Girts (@girts) said on 17th October 2011, 19:41

Kovalainen was awesome once again but he knows how much I love him anyway, I don’t need to vote for him to prove that.

Alguersuari had a great race, too. However, I am not sure how much of his success comes because of the improved Toro Ross car and the high speed.

I had to make the choice between Hamilton and Vettel. I think they both were brilliant but I think Hamilton had more weight on his shoulders. Vettel had already clinched the 2nd title before the race, there wasn’t much pressure on him, while Hamilton must have felt uncomfortable after all the misery in the previous races. He delivered, he didn’t break under the pressure and his drive was really worthy of a world champion. So my DotW is Lewis.

8. craig-o (@craig-o) said on 17th October 2011, 19:50

I’ve gone for Jaime. Had an awesome result after starting inside the top 17.

9. I chose Hamilton because he was impressive all weekend and the first driver this year to knock redbull off pole. Despite his understeer issue, he was able keep webber behind him for long time with some impressive defending.

10. John H (@john-h) said on 17th October 2011, 19:52

I voted for Heikki, although as you don’t see much of them back there, in truth I could have voted for Alguersuari just as easily. Vettel wasn’t on pole so not good enough to meet my voting standards!!! ;)

A word for Hamilton though, kept Webber at bay nicely in a car that clearly should have been 3rd in the race.

11. DOTW by definition should be Lewis Hamilton, quick all weekend, great pole lap and fantastic drive to second in a slower car than Webber, no question for me. Loved the fight between LH and MW especially on lap 34 (or whenever it was) when they battled in the middle sector!

Other mentions, Vettel dominated the race and his pass on Hamilton was decisive, how he has improved this year. Alguersuari finishing 7th and beating Rosberg on the last lap was impressive, as was Hekki’s performance, beating the Saubers on merit and being close to Senna’s Renault. He really seems to relish the Team Lotus challenge.

12. BasCB (@bascb) said on 17th October 2011, 20:49

I miss a button to vote for Dan Wheldon here :-( Would have given it to him this weekend.

13. Younger Hamii (@younger-hamii) said on 17th October 2011, 20:52

It may obviously sound biased but its has to be Lewis,Once again proved his Doubters wrong;Quick in Practice & summed it up with a Stunning Pole Position,Yes this weekend has been overshadowed by the Tragic incident of Dan Wheldon(Rest in Peace) & the fact that Lewis finished 10Secs behind Vettel,who passed Lewis at the start.

Ignoring the latter,Lewis had a great weekend & defended superbly against a determined & feisty Mark Webber for over15 Laps in a slightly inferior car.However,dont rule out Seb who dominated the race & did what he had to do at the start & maybe the reason that Lewis was a good 4 Seconds behind Seb before the end of the 1st stint & therefore was not in a position to do the ‘undercut’ enabled RB to alter their planned strategy(Option,Prime,Prime).

• uan (@uan) said on 19th October 2011, 16:02

I don’t think choosing Hamilton this weekend sounds biased at all. He had a great weekend, a brilliant pole and drove an awesome race with an underperforming car to finish second.

As for once again proving his doubters wrong, only until the next time he proves them right :-). Every driver gets slagged on the grid and often goes from zero to hero and back again. Hamilton isn’t even the most criticized driver on the grid, and most of the criticism is grounded in the given fact that Hamilton is one of the top 3 drivers (with Alonso and Vettel) that are in a league of their own, and this year the reason he’s not there is mostly through his own mistakes.

The criticism I’ve seen is that he hasn’t, until recently, been owning up to the mistakes that he’s making. Outside of that the major discussions around Lewis either are about why he’s not performing well (and unlike Massa, none of the reasons include that he just can’t cut it) and what he needs to do to get back on form.

Of course, there’s much more back and forth, etc. going on between staunch Hamilton supporters who seem to defend everything he does and those who are really criticizing his supporters (and not Hamilton) for defending everything he does. But these are really different things.

14. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 17th October 2011, 20:57

I have to say Alguersuari, he had a fantastic race, and really deserved that points finish.

I don’t see why Lewis Hamilton would get it because, yes, he was quick in Quali, but his whole attitude toward the weekend was terrible, and he wasn’t as good as Vettel on race day.

• Tango (@tango) said on 18th October 2011, 9:42

He didn’t have as good a car come race day.

Voted Alguersari too. However, Buemi’s result may show that it was partly due to a revived Toro rosso. But which driver can really shine in an unfit car?

• bingi said on 19th October 2011, 7:18

The vote is for DRIVER of the weekend, not PR man of the weekend.

15. TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 17th October 2011, 21:07

My 3 favourite drivers could well be the top 3 in DOTW this week.

For me it was Alguersuari, no question. He Qualified well, just missing out on Q3 and his race was superb.

At some points he was running as high as 3rd and ended up ‘best of the rest’ only being beaten by the Red Bull’s, Ferrari’s and McLaren’s.

From the guy who was “too young to drive” and “only in F1 because of sponsorship” he really is having a great season.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 18th October 2011, 0:14

I had to go for Vettel this time for that superb pass at the start, the way he pulled away with clynical precision before the DRS was activated, how he controlled the race from there, and winning not from pole. That said, I was very close to going for Jaime. One of if not his best performances to date. I can’t help but think he’s going to be the driver to retain his seat at STR next year, unless for some reason they’re both ejected in favor of Ricciardo and Vergne.

1 2 3 4