Force India driver announcement soon

F1 Fanatic round-up

In the round-up: Force India to reveal their 2012 driver line-up amid doubt over Adrian Sutil’s future.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Motor racing-Force India driver decision before Abu Dhabi GP (Reuters)

“German driver Adrian Sutil, who could be replaced by compatriot Nico H???lkenberg alongside Britain’s Paul di Resta, has asked Mallya for a quick decision.”

Webber happy with ‘good foundation’ (ESPN)

“I don’t want any positions from Sebastian, nothing has changed.”

Hamilton vows to be more focused in 2012 (Autosport)

“I speak for myself [when I say] my driving, for me, has been the biggest hazard. I can improve, and that’s what I’m working towards for next year, and also staying out of the stewards’ office is also a very big goal – top of my priorities for next year.”

Q&A with Jaypee Sports’ Samir Gaur (F1)

“When three months ago it looked like we couldn?t finish the build my father pushed the emergency button and called everybody in from the family – those who look after electricity, those who look after IT, those who look after cement etc. – so they all gathered under one roof to support me and the entire organization. We all feel that what we did with this race track has made us all part of history. That has made us very proud.”

Indian Grand Prix: workers on F1 circuit ‘living in destitution’ (The Guardian)

“The workers said that contractors who supplied the Jaypee Group, the circuit’s owner, with labour to build the circuit ?ǣ where 120,000 spectators are to watch the event on Sunday ?ǣ have only paid them enough to cover basic living expenses for six months. They claim they were promised 120 rupees (??1.53) a day when they were hired.”

Let’s hope Indian GP matches the atmosphere (Daily Telegraph)

David Coulthard: “With luck this race can be a source of jobs and opportunities for many of them, as well as a source of pride. I also feel very strongly that Formula One can be used as an opportunity to promote safer driving.”

Darren Heath via Twitter

“A long day. Never experienced such awful pollution. India must address the problem and stop denying it exists or the place is doomed.”

Is F1 a rich man’s sport and out of place in India? (YouTube)

New Jersey Formula 1 – lap analysis, Grand Prix of America (rFactor) rough sketch

Tom Webb via Twitter

“One minute silence on the grid tomorrow at 14:45 for Marco Simoncelli and Dan Wheldon. Fitting F1 tribute.”

Romain Grosjean ?ǣ “I am delighted with the opportunity” (Renault)

“The funny thing is that at my last race in a Grand Prix was Abu Dhabi in 2009 and I?m getting back in a Formula 1 car in a Grand Prix car in Abu Dhabi. If I?m honest, it?s not my favourite circuit but it?s good to make my return at a modern track where there is good run-offs!”

Follow F1 news as it breaks using the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app.

Comment of the day

Not much sympathy for Felipe Massa’s criticism of the kerbs at Buddh International Circuit:

It’s an anti-cut device. Isn’t it just fulfilling the duty that kerbs used to serve in the 70s/80s/90s before they were flattened in the 2000s, i.e. as a place the driver shouldn’t put his car?

I like Felipe, but it’s his own fault for driving where he shouldn’t.
SouthPawRacer

From the forum

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today. If you want a birthday shout-out tell us when yours is by emailling me, using Twitter or adding to the list here.

On this day in F1

The first ever world champion, Giuseppe Farina, was born 105 years ago today.

36 comments on Force India driver announcement soon

1. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 30th October 2011, 6:47

Breaking news!

Dog allowed to start Indian Grand Prix

Fido, the stray dog who found his way onto the circuit in India, has been given permission to start the race after an appeal by Ferrari was thrown out by the stewards.

In a shock result, Fido set the fastest lap time at the Buddh International Circuit during Friday’s free practice session. However, Ferrari protested against his entry, claiming his tail was a moveable aerodynamic part that gave Fido “up to seven points of downforce”. Stewards initially agreed, prohibiting Fido from entering the race, but reversed the decision this morning after finding that his tail moved within acceptable limits during the sit, shake and roll over load test.

“We’re disappointed,” Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicalli said. “Fido’s tail clearly wags when he is racing, and when he was asked to demonstrate the importance of this part, all he could say is ‘woof’. When we experimented with a moving wing earlier this week, we were told it was an illegal aerodynamic part. We intend to protest the decision to let Fido race at the next meeting for the World Motorsports Council.”

Others in the paddock, however, welcomed the decision to let Fido race.

“There’s nothing wrong with my driving style, no,” Lewis Hamilton said, compeltely ignoring the question. “I see no reason to change it.”

“I’m excited for him,” Jenson Button said, completely ignoring Hamilton. “We’d never heard of Fido until today, but he’s clearly a promising new talent. I think a lot of people will be following his progress with interest.”

Fido was unavailable for comment, though a spokesperson said that he did chase is tail. he will start the race from sixth.

2. Oliver said on 30th October 2011, 7:17

Re: Comment of the day.

Saying it is a driver’s fault for driving over it is like saying it is the driver’s fault for driving into a wall that kills him. Granted, a driver should have more control over how and where he places his car, but we should not take liberty with such an assumption.
    There are many factors that can result in a driver losing control at turn in, wind, dust, oil, water, tyre pressures and wear.
    A driver will not deliberately run over such a potrusion. Also, the anti cutting device, in an era of safety, should only serve to penalise a driver, and not put both him and any other driver at a greater risk.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 30th October 2011, 7:31

a driver should have more control over how and where he places his car

How can a driver have more contol over how and where he places his car? He’s the only person who can control the position of his car; therefore, he has an unlimited ability to place his car wherever he wants to.

And each of those factors can be controlled by the driver (ie he can change his speed to change tyre pressure). If any driver was controlled be those factors (rather than controlling them), he wouldn’t be in Formula 1.

A driver will not deliberately run over such a potrusion.

No, he won’t – but Massa had already been through that corner a hundred times. He knew the kerb was there. He just got too close to it.

• Chalky (@chalky) said on 30th October 2011, 8:27

So if it rains and a driver crashes is it not his fault then?

Sorry, I disagree. Felipe is mad at himself as the kerb caught him out. It’s been a long time since a kerb has done some serious damage and he just annoyed he’s been caught.
      He should be grateful that it didn’t happen on Sunday, so he at least has a chance to avoid doing it again.

I like it as it is. Keep the kerb. It makes it more interesting and it keeps the drivers on the track.

3. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 30th October 2011, 9:06

If the New jersey circuit is anything that approximation on rFactor then I will be very excited. It looks very fast, flowing and rewarding.