Rate the race: 2011 Indian Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the first ever Indian Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 Indian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (3%)
  • 3 (7%)
  • 4 (10%)
  • 5 (21%)
  • 6 (30%)
  • 7 (17%)
  • 8 (5%)
  • 9 (2%)
  • 10 (3%)

Total Voters: 532

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

319 comments on Rate the race: 2011 Indian Grand Prix

1. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 30th October 2011, 11:13

6/10

Race at the front was non-existent. The Massa/Hamilton incident and subsequent penalty provided the biggest drama of the race.

There were battles throughout the field, however – proving that there can be overtaking around this circuit. The one issue was that the the majority of passes were as a result of DRS. When DRS zones become your only opportunity to overtake – that’s a problem. I wonder how many battles and overtaking manoeuvres we would’ve had without DRS.

• Joseph94 (@joseph94) said on 30th October 2011, 11:23

Agreed.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 30th October 2011, 12:07

I am afraid we could have had quite a few more. Still wonder, why they did not give the track a shot at doing it without DRS zones for the first race here.

• Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 30th October 2011, 12:14

@BasCB

I am afraid we could have had quite a few more.

Why do you think that, may I ask?

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 30th October 2011, 12:51

@magnificient-geoffrey, I think without the DRS we would have seen different gear ratios, and therefore possibly a different balance of where cars were fast, or not, helping to let drivers have a go at overtaking.

But its hard to be sure without trying.

• Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 30th October 2011, 12:57

@BasCB I see what you mean, but I feel that’s a very speculative view at best.

I think DRS did its job here. It allowed drivers the opportunity to pass without making things too easy. It’s just a shame there was such a field spread at the front – having more battles for the top positions would’ve made a massive difference to the overall excitement of the race.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 30th October 2011, 13:03

@magnificent-geoffrey, you are probably right about the speculative nature of my view there.

I just find it wrong not to give the track a chance to show what it has to offer without DRS before putting DRS zones in there.
            I did not mind the DRS overtakes here (them being the only ones makes it hard not to be happy for a bit of supported racing at least), but I think its sad they did it this way.

Or we should just say Tilke made another dud track where its not possible to overtake, as DRS was not even invented yet when he put pen to paper.

• Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 30th October 2011, 14:47

@BasCB

To be honest, I don’t contest that. I don’t think there would be anything wrong with saying “it’s a brand new track, let’s try no DRS zones just to see what happens”. I wouldn’t have any issue with that personally.

As it turned out, however, most of the overtakes we saw were DRS assisted. That suggests to me that had we not had DRS, we would’ve had an entirely processional race, and not just at the front. So in hindsight, it was pretty good for us that they did choose to go with two DRS zones after all.

2. Phil John (@philjohn) said on 30th October 2011, 11:13

Really hope Newey produces a dud next year so we don’t just have race after ace of Vettel scampering off into the distance and then just maintaining the gap in a superior car in clean air.

Sadly he probably won’t and we’ll have another period like with Schumacher when many less devoted fans just tuned out as the result was so predictable.

3. Doance (@doance) said on 30th October 2011, 11:13

I watched the lap times screen more than the race because there wasn’t much happening. 5/10

4. dirgegirl (@dirgegirl) said on 30th October 2011, 11:14

Good event as a whole, but a pretty dull race. Even the drivers looked bored on the podium!

• PJ (@pjtierney) said on 30th October 2011, 13:57

They weren’t bored, they were subdued because they were remembering the deaths of Dan and Marco in the previous weeks. From the few words we heard in the room pre-podium I think they all agreed not to celebrate as exhuberantly as they normally do, given what’s happened recently.

Part of me thought that Button would take his Wheldon armband off and place it around the neck of his champagne bottle, which would then be gifted to the family, but that’s probably my mind wandering after what was quite an uneventful race.

5. UKFan (@) said on 30th October 2011, 11:14

I wish that Pirelli had made a different call about the tyres, Super-Soft and Soft seemed the best option after the GP

• PJ (@pjtierney) said on 30th October 2011, 13:58

Anybody can make the best decision in hindsight :)

I think they made a fair decision considering they had (pretty much) no data for the track and couldn’t risk drivers burning up all their allocation on an overly abrasive track.

6. Huron (@huron) said on 30th October 2011, 11:15

5. Great track, but the race just didn’t seem to ever really develop. A shame Button didn’t have the pace at the beginning to challenge, but I don’t think there was any driver or car out there that could have done so, sadly.

Driver of the race: Schumacher. Another impressive start and had the pace to jump his teammate in the pits.

Team of the race: Lotus. Again, with Kov, showing that they have developed a good race pace. Looks promising for 2012.

To be clear, though, it is a 5 by 2011 standards. In other years, I might have given it a 7.

7. 5 – forgettable is the best word to describe this GP. Roll on Interlagos

The stewards are really starting to get me down now, neither driver should have been penalised. Hamilton was up the inside and Massa was incredibly slow coming out the previous corner but where was he supposed to go once they reached the corner? Is it really necessary to punish every single incident?

The race also confirmed two things to me:
    1) Felipe Massa does not deserve a seat in Formula One any more, the sooner Ferrari get rid the better
    2) If Mercedes develop a car capable of winning races next year it will be Schumacher who delivers the results; he has been fantastic in races over the second half of the year.

8. sketchyterry (@sketchyterry) said on 30th October 2011, 11:16

Second most boring race after Valencia, the tyre choice of soft and hard by Pirelli was too cautious. Rowan Atkinson with Lewis Hamilton and Massa was the highlight of the race. Gave it a 5/10

9. BBT (@bbt) said on 30th October 2011, 11:16

4/10

Massa penalty was very odd, either a racing incident or a penalty to Hamilton surely, interesting choice to give it the other way.

Vettel totally dominant just playing/pacing to Button .

Very good drives from Button and Alonso.

Webber very poor running wide several times and very inconsistent pace.

Hamilton needs to find the gear shift to engage his brain, its seems he gearbox is broken.

Better pace from the Mercs.

Very disappointing from Di Resta, if he keeps preforming like that its a good job the decision on the driver for next year has been brought forward.

Great track dull race.

• Rated the same, agree on everything you said.

Massa/Hamilton incident, it seemed PR more than common sense – and I like Hamilton and never cared for Massa at all.

Can’t see why FI should drop Sutil either.

• BBT (@bbt) said on 30th October 2011, 11:29

Interesting that Eddie Jordan reckon that Massa looked a few times and knew Hamilton was there before turning in on him and that is probably why Massa got the penalty, still seems very odd too me.

They both need there heads banging together, if there is any truth in Eddie Jordans comment, again Hamilton put himself somewhere he didn’t need too and almost inviting the incident.

• Trenthamfolk (@trenthamfolk) said on 30th October 2011, 13:48

Why interesting? I was there, large as life on the telly!

Massa has become so used to ‘destroying’ Hamilton’s races with impunity (he drives for Ferrari after all), he has the audacity to repeatedly look in his mirror and do the most idiotic think in the book: try a ‘Schumacher Special’. Rather crash than concede eh Massa? The un-professionalism exhibited by him of late is coming home to roost. Neither did he learn from his qualifying blunder. Oh dear.

I thought Alonso did a great job today with an inferior car, and Button was pure class, once again.

• 1 of the 3 said on 30th October 2011, 11:38

Sutil performed well under pressure and the thing is he usually does. I mean he’s been told this is the deciding race and then they’ll decide (even though it sounds as though they’ve already decided). What does he do? Qualifies ahead of di Resta and finishes in the points. I’m proud to have stuck by him whatever happens…

10. Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 30th October 2011, 11:16

Jeez, i made the first comment and the server crashed. Pretty dull race except for the now predictable HAM MAS clash.

11. sumedh said on 30th October 2011, 11:18

Good track, good race.. spoiled by a Vettel Grand Slam.. 7/10

Whiners gonna whine – “No overtaking”, “no crowds”, “too much run-off”..or something else..

This track is perfect.. the race is to stay.. and it is gonna be good next year onwards, the drivers agree, the teams agree..

12. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 30th October 2011, 11:19

6/10. Most of my enjoyment today was from it being a new Grand Prix and it being all Indian and different. Like others have said I think next year with the race being one year old and fully established we’ll see less conservatism and more excitement!

13. Pedro De La Baldwin said on 30th October 2011, 11:19

Boring race but I don’t think it was all down to the track. I’d give the race 3/10 but I think the track has the potential to deliver a 7 or 8 /10.

With Vettel driving off into the distance and that horrible phrase “LOOK A THE LEAD VETTEL HAS” on lap 2, it’s never going to be that exciting.

With a bit of luck, Newey will get the design horribly wrong next year and we’ll have a good battle between a few teams instead of going back into the dark ages with one driver in a different class.

14. Funkyf1 (@funkyf1) said on 30th October 2011, 11:22

Good venue, great track, but a Webber of a race, had it’s moments, but mostly struggled to entertain.

15. Joseph94 (@joseph94) said on 30th October 2011, 11:22

Gave it a ’5′. Nothing special. My Drivers of the Day: M.Shumacher and Perez. Not looking forward to the next gp in Abu Dhabi ..arguably the worst track on the calendar. Vettel win probably dominate the next race in Abu Dhabi. Brazil is anybody’s race.