Rate the race: 2011 Indian Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the first ever Indian Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 Indian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (3%)
  • 3 (7%)
  • 4 (10%)
  • 5 (21%)
  • 6 (30%)
  • 7 (17%)
  • 8 (5%)
  • 9 (2%)
  • 10 (3%)

Total Voters: 532

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

319 comments on Rate the race: 2011 Indian Grand Prix

1. sw280 (@sw280) said on 30th October 2011, 11:24

I think that Massa needs to learn that sometimes it is better to concede a place than take a line and risk breaking the car. Webber and Alonso have been great examples of this this year. The most obvious being Webber at eau rouge, Alonso could have run him off, but it would have damaged his car and could have hurt both of them. Take Hamilton Massa in Monaco at Lowes, if Massa had conceded as Schumacher did he probably would have avoided contact and perhaps later stayed in the race. With regard to the kerbs, the fat kerbs are dangerous, if a driver makes a genuine mistake he could be launched and hurt… however Massa needs to stop making these mistakes. I thought his penalty was harsh today but no harsher than the vast majority of penalties dished out to Lewis.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 30th October 2011, 11:54

In the same corner it was actually Hamilton who conceded to Schumacher in Monaco. As did Rosberg.

Massa always does expect people to yield for him in corners where there is no overtaking possible unless the driver being overtaken completely yields. For instance Tabac.

• Trenthamfolk (@trenthamfolk) said on 30th October 2011, 14:27

@sw280 Very well put… I’m pretty sure he’s seeing the red mist lately, just as Lewis appears to have mellowed and adjusted his mind-set, Massa steps up to the plate! At least it makes for interesting races!

2. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 30th October 2011, 11:25

Looking at the results, I think people were expecting a whole lot more than what was offered. There was some good stuff out there – like di Resta, Perez and Petrov working their way through the field early on with a reverse strategy.

I think that if the Indians can clean the circuit up for 2012, and if they rent the circuit out to other categories (and maybe bring GP2 along next year) to get some more rubber down, I think it will be much better.

• Helen (@helen) said on 30th October 2011, 11:33

With a wide track I agree, I definately expected more on track action. Hopefully next year will be cleaner / better as I need an excuse to go back to India!

• bearforce1 (@bearforce1) said on 30th October 2011, 11:41

I agree PM, plenty on offer this race. It a little quite at the start but then settled into a nice race with enough to keep me occupied.

It was also nice cause it wasn’t as hectic as other races. Some races this year have been amazing sensory overload.

I have not seen the Massa Hamilton incident again but for me it looked like lewis wasn’t up far enough. I think lewis might actually realise that he didn’t need to do that there and that he could have waited and made it stick and taken a result.

Can’t believe Webber soooo bad.

Happy for Schumi and Button.

Impressed with Alonso he just keeps positive and working hard even though the car is lacking (lewis take note).

Vettel again just playing maintaining the gap.

I gave it an 8.

• Ragerod said on 30th October 2011, 12:01

I think there are bigger problems with the track than simply dust. Turn 4 was a constant source of annoyance with it’s 20 lines in but only 1 line out making it impossible to gain an advantage from taking a wide line.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 30th October 2011, 13:04

That’s not how it’s supposed to work at all, Ragerod. The fastest line through the corner is the wide line – staying out to the extreme left and clipping the apex as a driver normally would. The “twenty lines” through the inside of the corner are designed to facilitate overtaking by giving an attacking driver plenty of room to make his move. We’ve seen drivers hold position for laps on end (Schumacher fending off Hamilton for 30 laps at Monza springs to mind) because there are only two lines into the corner: the racing line, and the defensive line. But here, a defending driver cannot defend every racing line into the corner. The attacking driver has more space to position himself. Even if there is only one line out of the corner, physically placing yourself between the apex and a defending driver means that you dictate the speed at which both cars exit. The problem is that the sheer amount of dust made the inside lines going into the corner unattractive.

3. BORING!!!!!!! Back to the bad old days of F1. I could hear millions of TV’s being switched off across India.

4. davidwhite (@davidwhite) said on 30th October 2011, 11:30

Extra points should be awarded for Massa breaking his suspension it exactly the same way as yesterday. What did he say about Hamilton not learing from his misstakes and needing to engage his mind?

Positively delighted to see Massa take himself out again today. Hello Felipe, is anyone home?

5. Dan_the_McLaren_fan (@dan_the_mclaren_fan) said on 30th October 2011, 11:31

The race was OK. I wasn’t bored, because there were battles to watch, but I wasn’t excited either, because there wasn’t much action. The battle with the Toro Rossos were fun, the Hamilton-Massa battle is becoming really irritating, the Webber-Alonso battle was interesting, and Schumacher’s race was fun to watch. Hamilton’s race was disappointing after the incident with Massa, but Button had a strong race, so it’s a compensation..

Overall mark : 7/10 for me.

6. taurus (@taurus) said on 30th October 2011, 11:33

4/10. Dull.

Nice to see the stewards not jumping down Lewis’ throat as soon as he touches someone. Massa severely needs to learn some racecraft.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 30th October 2011, 13:07

There wasn’t much Massa could do, @taurus – he actually held the racing line. Even if Hamilton had made it cleanly through the corner, he could have had to brake just to make the next two, which would have made him slower for turn eight and turn nine, and Massa probably would have been able to get him in the giant turn ten. It was a racing incident, and I think Massa was unfairly penalised; after all, Hamilton had only drawn partially alongside him. Perhaps it was a show of good faith for Hamilton to demonstrate that the stewards do not target him unfairly.

• taurus (@taurus) said on 30th October 2011, 13:17

@prisoner-monkeys I agree Massa shouldnt have been penalised. The fact a penalty was issued is down to the over-the-top stewarding of the last few years, where by any contact whatsoever is punished. If Massa hadn’t simply chopped across we may have seen a good battle for position. He knew Hamilton was there.

7. SimBri (@f1addict) said on 30th October 2011, 11:35

I don’t share everyone’s negativity about this race. It was still enjoyable for me, it had it’s share of tension and incidents. 4 different teams in the top 5. It reminded me of some of the races in the last decade. Surely most of the people here still enjoyed F1 then, it’s just a matter of taking a different perspective – I liked being able to take the time to really follow the timing screens and the live comments on this site. To me races like this are like relaxing with a whisky, where a lot of the races this year have been rounds of tequila shots. Both can signal a good evening but the outcomes are very different!

Not a classic, but I’d still choose watching a race like this than doing almost anything else.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 30th October 2011, 12:16

Thats a nice take on it @f1addict, well i guess you’re addicted, eh!

I think you are right in saying that its pretty much level of what we were used to pre-2011. But is that a reason to be satisfied with it. Not in my opinion.

And this is coming from someone who actually liked seeing the intimates of pacing the car through Valencia this year, gave that a solid score.

I think this track could have offered more, and the great turnout shows the Indians are the right people to enjoy it. So it really was a bit of an opportunity lost.

8. bosyber (@bosyber) said on 30th October 2011, 11:38

I gave it 6/10. I felt it was pretty boring, but that’s after we have seen some pretty good races this year. I think this track and this event can provide a lot more, esp. if it is less dusty; and maybe different tyres.

But as it was, the race became a poster board for how F1 in 2011 goes, as BBC said – it had all the common elements, apart from a HAM penalty, I suppose.

There were some good fights in the midfield, but too much DRS – I keep having the feeling that w/o DRS there would have been other, better, overtaking opportunities, although HAM trying to overtake the Ferrari’s via the pits is an ominous sign of how it could all go.

I hear BBC saying Button the only man to regularly race Vettel this year – unfortunately, it rarely is a real race, just Button being 4-5s behind, matching on pace as he’s managed by Vettel being asked by his team to not go for that fastest lap, sadly. And that’s the best someone is able to do. Great job once again by Vettel, clear why he is the WDC of this year. But please can we see him have a less simple time of it, maybe even a real fight for it? Guess not.

9. Tom (@tc154) said on 30th October 2011, 11:41

when is CH going to admit there is a different between webber and vettels cars, about time i think

• Mild7nick (@mild7nick) said on 30th October 2011, 11:49

I think Webber just needs to pull his finger out, its a shame RBR gave him another contract as that seat has been wasted this season

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 30th October 2011, 11:58

Webber has been competitive with Vettel in 2009 and 2010. Now all of a sudden he istn’t.

Webber’s KERS never seems to work and neither does the strategy that they give him.

I wouldn’t be surprised they decided to focus even more effort on Vettel after the Vettel vs Webber incidents in 2010. From that it was clear they simply want Vettel to win and they don’t want Webber to get in the way of that.

They don’t need Webber to fight Vettel to bring in the constructors championship. Giving Webber P3 to P6 is enough for that.

• Ragerod said on 30th October 2011, 12:04

A little harsh me thinks. I wouldn’t be surprised if RedBull are designing a car that suits Vettel’s driving style as he is the future of the team and Webber simply has to deal with it.

• Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 30th October 2011, 12:13

So what’s harsh? Me saying that RB put all their focus on Vettel or the poster above me stating that Webber is a waste and needs to pull his fingoer out?

• dirgegirl (@dirgegirl) said on 30th October 2011, 22:20

@Ragerod, this seems like a reasonable explanation. Assume something similar is happening at McLaren (not regarding the “future of the team”, but the direction of the car to suit a specific driving style).

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 30th October 2011, 12:13

@tv154 Even if that was the case, why on Earth would he admit it?

Webber couldn’t seem to get the primes going today, at all.

10. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 30th October 2011, 11:42

A 7 from me.

To be honest, the racing itself perhaps was not worthy of a 7, maybe more a 6. But the track is good and I would class this as a great inaugural race. Given the instability of the world economy at the moment it’s encouraging to see a race that might have a more long-term home than what we saw in Turkey. Of course, India is on the up in the world so perhaps better placed than most but let’s not take away from India’s success.

11. Oliver said on 30th October 2011, 11:45

The circuit similar to Bahrain, good overtaking opportunities, but too much dust making the extra width of the track unusable.

12. Michael’s race pace is better than Britney. He is surely ahead of Nico in points without Petrov hitting him.

13. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 30th October 2011, 11:53

If I could vote with iPhone, would’ve given à 4. And that’s because of bonuspoints for massa/Hamilton, massa/kerbs and Schumi beating Rosberg.

14. mole (@mole) said on 30th October 2011, 11:55

I think people are judging this race a bit harshly because Vettel didn’t look threatened at all during the race – the reality is he hasn’t been really threatened (he always seems to have some time in the bag) for awhile now. I would say that this race was better than South Korea for example, where it was a similar story with Vettel, the only reason it looked a little different was because he slowed up to allow Button to catch up a little in the end.

The director is also at fault, the interesting battles between the Toro Rosso’s, Force India’s and Renaults weren’t followed nearly enough, especially the alternative strategies of Di Resta, Petrov and Perez. The intra-team battle at Mercedes was pretty good too, Schumacher’s

It’s a shame that this poll isn’t “Rate the race weekend: 2011 Indian Grand Prix”, because the pre-qualy/race features were some of the best yet, everyone’s excited about a new circuit and that excitement passes over the airwaves. The scenes in the pit lane after the race were reminiscent of Japan (however I don’t think anyone can realistically expect to have grandstands full so long after the race like in Suzuka).

Anyway, based on the average rating South Korea got I gave this race a 7, and I fully expect the race to be better next year – hopefully when formula 1 will be a bit more competitive at the front end.

15. Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 30th October 2011, 12:02

It was a boring race, but then I found most races boring this year even when others cheered for the tyre difference induced “overtaking”.

By now the teams have pretty much worked out the optimum strategy for these boring tyres and the ultimately worst result comes out.

Drivers need to just bring the car home pretty much from the start in order not to damage the tyres. No more displays of racecraft. Just drive gingerly and bring it home.