Rate the race: 2011 Indian Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the first ever Indian Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 Indian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (3%)
  • 3 (7%)
  • 4 (10%)
  • 5 (21%)
  • 6 (30%)
  • 7 (17%)
  • 8 (5%)
  • 9 (2%)
  • 10 (3%)

Total Voters: 532

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

319 comments on Rate the race: 2011 Indian Grand Prix

1. Mr.Zing Zang said on 30th October 2011, 18:23

IT was OK. It could have been much better if the track was cleaner. I give it a 10 because Hamilton finally got justice.

2. CeeVee (@ceevee) said on 30th October 2011, 18:32

Vettel gets pole – check
    Vettel leads race – check
    First corner tangle – check
    LH and FM tangle – check
    LH gets drive through – NO !!!
    I almost gave it a 10 for that alone. One of the stewards finally recognising that a driver shouldn’t just turn into a corner on the normal line if there is another car alongside.
    But then I replayed the race in my mind and gave it the 4 it deserved.

3. Mick2750 (@mick2750) said on 30th October 2011, 18:43

I’m afraid I knew this was going to be a bore from First Practice – the track is simply not exciting. It follows the same design language as Abu Dhabi, Korea, Bahrain etc. Wide enough to land an Airbus, massive runoff areas that don’t penalize a loss of control (save Massa :)) … This allows Vettel to get a 3 second gap and he’s gone. It’s so wide and ‘safe’ that he can go flat out through many corners, hit apexes with 50′ of track width and just pump in qualifying laps the rest of the day. Easy for the Red Bull. I gave it a 3 simply because HAM finally had a call go his way.

4. Abuelo Paul (@abuello-paul) said on 30th October 2011, 19:01

From all the comments, tweets, reports and general feeling, it seems to me that the best part of the Indian GP were the 4 days prior to the race and the multitude of events supporting the race, loosely termed a race, more of a driver parade for 60 laps.
    In the spirit of F1 thats good, from a TV spectator viewpoint it was quite enviable, I would have been better to be at the venue than sat watching the race at home.

5. Hubis (@hubis) said on 30th October 2011, 19:18

6/10 because of nice track layout and Indians warming welcomes, smiles, good food and beautiful girls.

I guess rating could be much higher IF they had washed all that dust off the track, so drivers could actually use wide corner entries thus overtake more! Driving only on 1 racing line is booooring unless it’s saturday and qualification runs!

6. 3v3r10n9 (@3v3r10n9) said on 30th October 2011, 20:09

I watched the first 30 laps, then fell asleep. I then woke up and read the results online. Very exciting!

7. F1antics (@f1antics) said on 30th October 2011, 20:19

Hmm. Difficult to rate this one. Being the first race here, I’m reserving judgement about the track. It looked good, so I don’t think I can blame that for the dull race.

Perhaps there was more overtaking going on at the back that we didn’t get to see, but apart from that the top teams now seem to rely on pitstop strategies to overtake, which is becoming increasingly dull now that there’s no refuelling and no chance of cars being set on fire (joking).

Hamilton is one of the few drivers with the ability to be entertaining (now that Kobi’s lost his spark) – I’d have loved to have seen him slice through the pack, and I’m sure he’d have tried – but Massa’s stupid vendetta ruined that for everyone. Massa’s turning out to be a liability for the viewing public this year by a) refusing to fight within his own team and b) turning his frustration outwards and trying to ruin the races of more entertaining drivers.

Last season everyone was still fighting. This season it’s as if they’ve lost the will to live because of the Vettel yawnfest, or because they’ve been beaten down by the media or by team dynamics. Apart from Vettel, they all look like they need a good dose of anti-depressants.

There needs to be more joie de vivre in the sport. So unless there’s more drivers with spirit, like Hamilton and Kobayashi, or unless there’s more equality between cars so the drivers know they at least have a chance, I think I’ll lose the will to watch. It’s become predictable.

Through no fault of India, who put on a good show, it was a dull race. F1 needs to find a way to cheer all their drivers up and to let them entertain us. Perhaps the emphasis on WDC is wrong, because so often it’s down to the car, not the driver. Maybe it should just be about the WCC?

I’m giving 5/10 for the race, but if there was a vote for the race organisers I’d give them 9/10. BBC coverage was good apart from DC and Brundle spending too much time trying to predict penalties, because they really seem to relish it when drivers are punished. And .. where did DC go after the race? I do prefer it when there’s only Jake+1, but I missed the explanation.

8. dcjohnson (@dcjohnson) said on 30th October 2011, 21:02

I gave 7. I think people have been a bit spoilt this year though, not enough overtakes on week, too many the next, not the right kind, reckless on another week ? Imagine the race without DRS ! Some peopele don’t realise their wants are mutually exclusive! Massa pen was plus for overtaking !! People forget f1 cars don’t run on a racing line rail ! Webber won’t win on the current tyres, heats them too much, maybe he should spend some time buttering bernie like his team mate to move back to “racing tyres” rather than “drive miss daisy tyres” that we have now !!

9. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 31st October 2011, 1:35

Next to Valencia the worst race of the season,it’s a good track for qualifying not for race,the drivers said that it’s the best track by Tilke,I doubt.Now I am in wonder what will he make for us in Austin,NY & in Russia they all will be the same.

10. MattW said on 31st October 2011, 2:50

I don’t have time to read through all the comments to see if someone else has mentioned it already, but how dirty the track was had an effect – drivers weren’t willing to try different lines through the wide corner entries due to only a narrow line not being dirty. Should be better next year once the circuit is run in a bit.

Massa was providing comic relief over the weekend breaking the suspension on both sides, I’d be happy to see those things (whatever they are called) on the inside of every corner at every track. And the now mandatory get together with Hamilton lol.

11. Dev (@dev) said on 31st October 2011, 3:39

i would blame this on pirelli, they chose to go the safer route, it looked like another brigdestone era racing with little or no degradation. the ideal choice would have been Super soft & medium. The soft tires were lasting the half race distance & hard tires could have lasted 200 laps. Had we got supersofts instead of softs we would have had closer battle at front and some different strategy by midfield teams making it interesting.

12. Joey-Poey (@joey-poey) said on 31st October 2011, 3:47

6. Other than a few accidents throwing up some chaos, it was a rather processional gig.

13. usukpam (@usukpam) said on 31st October 2011, 4:12

The very first time Keith agrees that Hamilton is not at fault for an inccident involving Hamilton and another F1 driver. i am so shocked reading his comments on Massa/Ham inccident in India.

• dcjohnson (@dcjohnson) said on 31st October 2011, 7:16

i think all journos including smiling james allan and @keithcollantine have realised that the witchhunt of Lewis Hamilton is no fun any more especially as FIA are not joining in too…what’s shocking about the crap Hamilton gets is that he risks his life for our entertainment and webhits !! Its poor journalism not to pick up on the poor performances of Webber no win and Massa no podium. Massa recked his car twice for god’s sake…I know there would be no website without hits , but I think things have gone too far…

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 31st October 2011, 7:50

@dcjohnson So, when I wasn’t picking Hamilton as the driver of the year last year or defending him over the penalty in Spa in 2008, when was I perpetuating this “witchhunt”?

Don’t make cheap, baseless accusations with nothing to back them up.

• OWNED :)

• dcjohnson (@dcjohnson) said on 31st October 2011, 22:01

@keithcollantine not really cheap, maybe you figured taking a positive slant was more beneficial back then, don’t want to get into an arguement with you because I like the site, I just think that all journos, particular you in recents times have benefited in the hamilton bashing, the hamilton stories are your most popular. In partcipating in the witch hunt, journos and websites are not providing balanced view of the sport. Hamilton’s a young man, who risks his life for something he loves and although rewarded and can handle some stick, also deserves some respect…journos have acted like school yard bullies and have not provided a balanced critque of the sport and other top drivers like massa and webber…but hey at least you impress @Coop

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 31st October 2011, 22:32

maybe you figured taking a positive slant was more beneficial back then

If you’re going to accuse me of only ever writing to pander to popular views then we are going to have an argument because I never do that. I write what I think.

I don’t care what other people say. If you disagree with what I’ve written, point out what and where and we’ll have a discussion on the facts.

Until you do that I will continue to have no respect for your cheap, baseless accusations.

14. muzbye (@muzbye) said on 31st October 2011, 5:28

Dull. The first race I’ve had without complaining about commercial breaks.

15. jayntj said on 31st October 2011, 6:11

The race was bore. The good part is things will be much better next year. Of the various upgrades I already know of some are:
    They stop construction around the track from FP days.
    They will fully landscape the place, those who go next year and have gone dis will see the difference.
    They plan to transplant trees at the borders of the circuit to act as a dust barrier.
    Commentators booth will have a view and Windoes from next year.
    Plumbing contractir pulled up works to redo the same in some team areas to begin next monsoon.
    Circuit will be used by Mercedes as experience centre, also dey plan a motorsport academy dere.
    They will have a meeting in Jan to see wat can be done about the dust.