Rate the race: 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (4%)
  • 4 (7%)
  • 5 (16%)
  • 6 (24%)
  • 7 (28%)
  • 8 (9%)
  • 9 (4%)
  • 10 (4%)

Total Voters: 490

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

234 comments on Rate the race: 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

1 2 3 6
  1. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 13th November 2011, 14:44

6/10 from me.

Not particularly exciting, but not bad, either. Plenty of passing, but not a lot of overtaking. The double DRS zone wasn’t actually that bad in my opinion, it’s just drivers weren’t being particularly clever about it. The smartest way around it was to use the first zone to get close and then concentrate on getting a good exit before the second zone. After we saw Webber fall victim to it at the start with Button, the other teams should have been telling their drivers.

I wasn’t exactly upset when I saw Vettel spinning at the start, but I was quite annoyed that it meant he had to retire as it would have been brilliant to see him come through the field like in Silverstone last year. I was looking forward to seeing someone challenge Seb and hopefully a good battle for the lead between him and Lewis. Whilst I like seeing people other than Seb getting a win, I prefer it when they beat him by being better, not simply because he had a problem.

But overall, it was a reasonably entertaining race. I’m just not sure if I liked the DRS. The only thing that annoyed me during the race was the negative comments about Massa on Twitter. I actually thought he did a fantastic job up until his spin and he showed that he is a good racer and he’s improving his pace. I’m convinced he’ll be back to his best soon, but it still pains me to see people picking on him as if they’re better than him or something. Give him a break; he’s been through a lot and he deserves so much more respect than he gets.

• Four from me. Not much more to say really.

• When he had to perform under pressure to beat Webber he span, says it all about him over the last two years really

• akshay.it (@akshay-it) said on 13th November 2011, 14:52

I had the same thought that it would be good to see Vettel coming up the order.. but alas..

• Dragon (@dragon) said on 13th November 2011, 15:28

Yeah, I think overall, a 4. The first lap was incredible and gave me false hope, the rest of the race was irritating to say the least. I’m neutral towards DRS but the double zone was ridiculous. Pastor Maldonado alone accounted for about 90% of my irritation. I’m starting to worry that I’m becoming one of those fans losing interest, because I’m genuinely bored less than half way in these days. Of course I’ll still watch and I always will, but I’m losing hope of any reasonable short term solutions for better racing.

• TED BELL said on 13th November 2011, 17:19

Another PR disaster for DRS. Stop the madness…

• I pretty much agree with everything Damon said, 6/10.

• sid_prasher (@) said on 13th November 2011, 16:16

@damonsmedley: generally agree. For me this was the most boring race of the year…I think if Vettel had stayed we might have seen a good battle between him and Hamilton.
        I think the 2 DRS zones on straights is a disaster…there is no point getting ahead in the first 1 unless the driver has made a mistake.
        As for Massa, it was unfortunate but the best way for him to get people of his back is to get a series of solid results.

• sid_prasher (@) said on 13th November 2011, 18:31

after 283 votes, the average is 6.32 – way more than the Indian GP averaged :(
          I cant believe that was even more boring than this…

• UKFan (@) said on 13th November 2011, 18:46

yes, the DRS overshadowed the race, it was because of the two detection points really didnt work out, it was in my opinion the worst race of the season alonso never challenged Hamilton, the DRS disaster but its good to see Ham win again and that might be a major factor for this poll.

• John H (@john-h) said on 13th November 2011, 16:25

Massa is not a child, he’s not being picked on. He’s also well over 100 points behind is teammate and has had a shocking season.

Why isn’t he up on the podium with Alonso?

He deserves the negative comments.

• Jonathan189 (@jonathan189) said on 13th November 2011, 16:54

Surely we are now at the stage where the only reason Massa is still in a Ferrari is that he can promote the brand in Brazil.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 13th November 2011, 19:03

Its shocking that one driver has had around 10 podiums (including a win), and his teammate has had a season high finish of 5th, and was incredibly pleased with that result

• Surfinsoljah (@surfinsoljah) said on 14th November 2011, 1:17

@John H, lets see you get a spring bounce and crush your skull and then get back in and race a car as good as he does. I don’t think he’s had a good season but he’s got one more year to make it otherwise I don’t see him at Ferrari anymore. Massa in my opinion is the 2008 champ until I see Hamilton actually win another championship, which he won’t since Button is the new #1 driver at McLaren.

• John H (@john-h) said on 14th November 2011, 16:54

@Surfinsoljah

Unfortunately, I don’t drive for Ferrari.

I also don’t have a problem with Massa retaining his seat in 2012. I just think he deserves negative comments because he hasn’t had a podium all season in a car that is clearly capable.

And I don’t understand what Hamilton & Button have got to do with it at all.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 14th November 2011, 17:47

@surfinsoljah
          Why is he the 2008 champion?

• Puffy (@puffy) said on 14th November 2011, 8:09

@john-h indeed, Webber’s had a dismal time of it… oh wait, you were talking about Massa.

• andrewf1 (@andrewf1) said on 14th November 2011, 13:08

So? Do you think that by pointing out to another driver who had a bad season, you somehow redeem and excuse Massa’s season performance?

• Puffy (@puffy) said on 15th November 2011, 7:55

@john-h @andrewf1 Not at all. Massa has had a very disappointing season, he’s been far off Alonso’s pace for the most part and involved himself in far too many incidents on track. I was merely amused at how much negativity is directed at Massa, while I haven’t really seen many comments about Webber’s performance, but perhaps I chose a poor way of calling attention to that. I wonder if perhaps Webber has just kept a lower profile this season.

• John H (@john-h) said on 15th November 2011, 10:24

@Puffy Fair point. I think though its probably due to the fact Massa has been poor for two seasons now, whereas Webber had a pretty good season last year. I know he had to recover from his crash, but it’s been quite a while now.

If Webber continues on this path next year, expect the voices to be louder.

• Puffy (@puffy) said on 15th November 2011, 15:00

@john-h yeah, that it probably the most likely explanation, Massa certainly hasn’t been in any real kind of form since his return from the accident. Certainly both Massa and Webber will need to do a lot better next season because there are plenty of other very talented drivers vying for those seats.

• John H (@john-h) said on 14th November 2011, 16:55

@Puffy

Webber has also had a shocking season.

I don’t understand your point.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 16th November 2011, 16:04

@John-H @Jonathan189 @Todfod

He’ll be back. I’m not sure if he’ll ever be as good as he was before the accident, but Dr. Sid Watkins once said that it takes 2 years to properly recover from an injury that severe, did he not? I’m optimistic about his chances next year, but having said that, I wouldn’t be too surprised if nothing has changed. It just makes me hate that Hungarian Grand Prix weekend even more.

• CeeVee (@ceevee) said on 13th November 2011, 18:25

Five for me and two of those were because somebody other than Vettel won the race. Not that I have anything against Vettel, just that the races have become predictable, boring processions.

• 7/10
      I always found something interesting to watch during the race, be it the duel between Massa and Webber, Webber and Button, Di Resta and Buemi, Senna and Glock, Perez and Kobayashi, or any other. There were some good passes, and in one way the second DRS zone was good because it gave a driver who had been passed a chance to pass again, but it was also unfair as someone who maybe had wisely passed another driver found himself behind again.
      The retirement of Vettel not only brought an unexpected result, but also helped us to see a battle for first position in the opening laps, when Alonso was frequently close to being under 1 second from Hamilton, where he would have used DRS and reached his rival faster.
      I’m angry as well with those who pick on Massa, @damonsmedley: he was also unlucky when he hit that debris of a Williams, as the conditions, with dark, make it hard to see a small and black piece of carbon fibre. I believe he lost 3 seconds after that, as he went from 7 to 10 seconds of gap from Button. His spin was unlucky, but he defended very well from Webber, and although he didn’t have Alonso’s pace he kept that of Webber and Button. Sadly when he had a podium opportunity he wasted it again and finished in his usual place: 5th.

• Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 14th November 2011, 8:02

Totally agree Damon, I voted a 6 too.

There was some minor tension (the battle for the lead and the battle for third) but they never really developed into anything, making it quite forgettable.

2. sw6569 (@sw6569) said on 13th November 2011, 14:44

Certainly better than our other Abu Dhabi races although still lacking true excitement. A 7 from me.

Great drive by Lewis and Fernando. Maldonado once again proving he isn’t worthy of an F1 drive.

• Couldn’t believe the incompetence of Maldonado. It’s disgraceful that Barrichello looks to be without a seat in favour of him because of money. Rubens had a great drive and didn’t put a foot wrong. 12th from 24th was a great result.

• James_mc (@james_mc) said on 13th November 2011, 15:11

He seems to have a bit of a bad reaction when something goes against him.

• Yesterday Rubinho was interview after qualifying (he couldn’t set a lap): he was not angry (at least, he didn’t show it). He was calm and said the car had a problem and he was disappointed, but that’s quite a good reaction considering the situation.
          Barrichello might not have reached Q3 when Maldonado did, but it’s hardly a fault with his car. Maldonado did well on those occasions, but in the races he’s been mostly awful. Add to that the Spa incident with Hamilton and today’s blue-flags-ignoring and think if he’s more worthy than Rubens to remain in F1. If Barrichello has remained for so long there must be a reason. Maldonado is here because he brought more money than Hulkenberg.

• tflb1 (@) said on 13th November 2011, 17:54

I think you should lay off Maldonado. He wasn’t the only driver to get in the way (notice Barrichello re-passing the race leader?) and was trying his best to get out of the way. He got it wrong, but everyone makes mistakes. And it’s not like he has a history of getting in the way.

• lubhz (@lubhz) said on 13th November 2011, 19:18

Exactly. Bruno and Jaime also messed around when being blue-flagged, and got drive-throughs.

• tflb1 (@) said on 13th November 2011, 20:38

Maldonado is being demonized because when he came into F1 many people had already decided not to like him because he brought money. What he has had is a perfectly normal rookie season. Di Resta and Perez have both made as many mistakes as him. I wish people would stop overreacting, I mean I’ve read comments on some sites saying Maldonado ranks alongside Ide, Deletraz etc as one of the worst F1 drivers ever. It’s just ridiculous, the hatred in some people.

• gavmaclean (@gavmaclean) said on 13th November 2011, 22:53

I was okay with him, quietly impressed with his qualifying and his street circuit know how. A few weeks ago I thought Williams keeping him to fund Kimi was an alright idea. But combined with his petulance in Belgium and his complete idiocy in Abu Dhabi – and with Rubinho being a total class act this weekend – I just want him out. He may be decent, but he’s not worthy of being a Williams driver imo.

• sw6569 (@sw6569) said on 14th November 2011, 7:35

Maldonado is not being demonised for being a pay driver – his actions at Spa were simply unacceptable.

And – while I agree that he wasn’t the only driver to get in the way of the leaders, he did it twice. Once after having just been given a drive through penalty. Hardly using his brain, is he?

• Dragon (@dragon) said on 14th November 2011, 0:25

I have nothing against Maldonado personally – but even though it wasn’t shown on TV, Alonso’s gap to Lewis dropping a whole second while trying to get around Pastor proves the drive-through was probably deserved. And that’s before the ridiculous few moments with Webber and Massa; first he held them both up as if racing for position, before letting Massa through and chopping back in front of Webber.

• tflb1 (@) said on 14th November 2011, 7:26

He was racing with Alguersuari, the leaders should respect that. The midfield drivers shouldn’t have to sacrifice their own races to get out of the way.

• sw6569 (@sw6569) said on 14th November 2011, 7:36

Your comment is wrong. It is the duty of the back markers to get out of the way – thats the whole point of the blue flag rule. Respect the leaders.

• gavmaclean (@gavmaclean) said on 14th November 2011, 9:41

I don’t necessarily agree with the blue flag situation these days, but those are the rules. He flouted them twice! If he can’t learn the rules of the Formula, he should probably move on. Petrov maybe a pay driver, but at least his mistakes last year were generally his own and he did seem to learn from them.

3. Antranik (@antranik) said on 13th November 2011, 14:44

5/10

One of the most boring races all year, only first lap was entertaining. Also some great midfield battles but they were not broadcasted. Gotta say I’m dissapointed in the last few races.

4. some fun battles, (+1) some average ones.. (0)

Mass and Hamilton didn’t get intimate (-1)

DRS (-1)

Vettel Retiring (+1000)

Ricciardo retiring (-1000)

so probs a 7 or something? either way.. is it still a “horrible track”?

5. Daniel Thomas (@iamdanthomas) said on 13th November 2011, 14:47

Can’t help but feel happy for Lewis, it’s good for the sport too, to have him firing on all cylinders.

Not as thrilling as his other wins, but not bad for an Abu Dhabi race.

6. Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 13th November 2011, 14:47

Probably would have been better if Vettel hadn’t retired. Much like at India, first and second places were never in doubt, and the contest for third was only mildly diverting.

It had a few more exciting moments than previous races at Yas Marina, but that really is damning with faint praise.

I wasn’t impressed with all the DRS passes and re-passes in the two zones. That wasn’t racing, that was like watching cars on a motorway.

If F1 is going to settle for this artificial spectacle as a substitute for real racing, then it will rapidly lose its appeal for me.

• Eggry (@eggry) said on 13th November 2011, 14:50

That wasn’t racing, that was like watching cars on a motorway.

Trulli.

• Lord Stig (@lord-stig) said on 13th November 2011, 14:50

The double DRS was just silly. The DRS can be ok when you have on driver actually passing another. However with the two zones they practically canceled each other out. More like a motorway than a raceway.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 13th November 2011, 14:52

@keithcollatine – I think the DRS zones were misplaced (possibly in the mad rush to create more passing). It would have been better to include one on the pit straight and one on the back straight, or on the approach to the bottom chicane. Someone had Comment of the Day a few weeks ago when they said that two DRS zones was a bad idea because it would discourage drivers from passing in one zone because they knew they would simply lose the place in the next – so they would hold off and pounce in the second zone.

The circuit needs work (but I’m willing to bet that the organisers will be gushing with praise for this race and decide against changing the layout), but at least there was something going on from time to time.

• Lachie (@lachie) said on 13th November 2011, 14:56

What suggests the race would have been any different to India had Vettel not retired, Keith? Brundle himself pointed out that Hamilton was at the limit holding off Alonso so he probably wouldn’t have been in much of a place to attack Vettel.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 13th November 2011, 15:06

@Lachie Who knows, but him not being there didn’t automatically make it an exciting race. I’d’ve like to see if he could keep his winning streak going. Losing it because of a puncture is a bit anti-climatic.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 13th November 2011, 16:05

Now if Vettel had had a puncture and would have been able to continue and fight back, that might have given a better race.
          I agree that now it only changed the names of the drivers at the top, but not made for better racing. DRS was really too much for me to enjoy seeing cars pass, repass lap after lap.

For me, it was an OK race on a bad track (“best” so far in AbuDhabi), nothing more.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 13th November 2011, 15:13

Where was the proof he was at the limit? Coulthard saw Hamilton being massively held up by traffic one lap and mentioned how much it would slow him down- as a result Alonso caught up about 0.5 seconds (or more) and Coulthard immediately forgot the previous fact and stated that the difference in lap times was evidence that Hamilton was trying his hardest.

• Oliver said on 13th November 2011, 16:33

This is the problem. How can Brundle know if a driver is at the limit of holding another one off. Brundle and Coulthard make analyses during the races, and they are often liberal with their assumptions.
        The fact they are former drivers doesn’t mean they have absolute insight into a driver’s strategy or ability.
        Hamilton and Alonso were going through traffic, and Coulthard and Brundle busy claiming that Button’s laptimes were fantastic compared to people trying to evade slower cars.
        Kobayashi was using his DRS to get past Perez, only those two saw it as the team letting the lead driver get past. I’m fed up with the patronising comments comming from those two under achievers.
        In my opinion, Brundle and Coulthard doing a lot to mislead their viewers, and should always stick to the facts, instead of resorting to tabloid style commentaries.

• Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 13th November 2011, 19:14

Sorry, but two cars more than 4 seconds apart doesn’t count as “holding off”, or a battle, or excitement, for me. Maybe if you are in a commentary box, with a face full of timing screens.

This race was too much like the bad old days of fuel stops – what could happen after the next pit stop?

Still, 5 out of 5 (Abu Dhabi races only go up to 5 for me)

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 13th November 2011, 15:06

I think having 2 zones was better than 1 though (and I don’t like DRS), as it allowed cars to come back, meaning that at least it wasn’t a simple case of a car breezing past and it being done- having a second zone almost immediately at least does a little to correct the issue that the leading driver can’t defend. Had the second zone not been there we would have seen too many cases of cars passing and then immediately disappearing. As it was we saw a reasonable number of braking battles such as Button-Webber rather than purely ‘slipstream-style’ passes. Having the 2 zones also adds a bit of a strategic element that is missing from DRS otherwise, as drivers have to consider when to attempt a pass. I still dislike DRS, but I think it was far from at its worst here.

• Wooolfy said on 13th November 2011, 15:18

I agree with you fully. Nothing was wrong with the DRS. It was competitive, and actually encouraged some good battles.

• couldn’t agree more Keith. A track needs some changes but not sure that will happen. I did enjoy the race though so i’ll give it a 6. What the hell is wrong with some of the back markers?

• Becken Lima (@becken-lima) said on 13th November 2011, 15:14

@Keith Collantine

Probably would have been better if Vettel hadn’t retired.

With Vettel we would see a domination like Lewis´s today. Sorry for his DNF, but at least we have a different winner this time and no ‘Yabadabadoo’ celebrations.

A point: The guys from Clip the Apex said in the middle of the race that we had 40 overtakes until that moment. Quite a contrast from 6 in 2009 and 13 in 2010.

• TED BELL said on 13th November 2011, 17:24

What can we the fans of the sport do to stop DRS and how it is presently being used?? Does the weight of a fan base have any affect on rules and the need for change?? Something needs to be done and the comments by Keith are a true reflection of what many of us have said all year long.

• STSCM (@stscm) said on 13th November 2011, 19:57

My only point, I liked the double DRS zones, nothing infuriated me more than someone who’s slightly faster in a straight line, catching up to someone who’s a sitting duck and being passed with no recourse. That’s what I really hated about DRS. This time, the passer had to make good quickly and get ahead enough so the DRS capable opponent wasn’t able to easily repass. I forget which race (old age syndrome) but watching Michael Schumacher getting passed with nothing to ‘block’ with was infuriating. At least here there was some recourse.
      So much for the defense of DRS, personally I’d like to get rid of it, unless reminded of Alonso being stuck behind Petrov for the length of the entire season last year here. (At least it seemed that long…)

• Mr.Zing Zang said on 14th November 2011, 0:12

Kieth some how from the previous article, I know you don’t like abu dahbi from day one – no surprises there. But still, you can’t say there was nothing to it. There was a real fight for the lead, mid-field battle, chase for thrid, many passes, nice opening lap scraps and beautiful scenery. It was better than the average race this season. I give it an 8.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 14th November 2011, 9:07

you don’t like abu dahbi from day one

On the contrary, when F1 first went to Yas Marina I was more than prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt. After two dreadful races and one poor one I’m naturally less charitable.

There was a real fight for the lead

When?

At best there was the possibility one driver might jump the other in the pits. That’s not a “battle” in my book. See the closing stages of this year’s Chinese, Monaco, Spanish or Canadian Grands Prix for an example of a battle for the lead.

• John H (@john-h) said on 14th November 2011, 19:50

first and second places were never in doubt

On the contrary, I think Alonso had a real shot of jumping Hamilton in the stops. I think Hamilton was held up by Rubens and on the radio they told him it would be close. Unfortunately Alonso had traffic on his in-lap, the HRT and then the botched pit-stop.

Up until then I think it was still up for grabs, although Hamilton was the more likely victor (even if Alonso had come out in front due to the hard tyre).

7. Eggry (@eggry) said on 13th November 2011, 14:47

6 for me but Vettel-less race adds 1 points. even DRS and Pirellis couldn’t fix the nature of the track.

8. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 13th November 2011, 14:48

I’m going to give this race 10/10. Why? Because I think a lot of people are going to give it 1/10 simply because it is Abu Dhabi. And I think the race deserves more than that – because while the racing might not have been the most exciting, there was a whole lot of interesting stuff going on:

– Sebastian Vettel proves that he is fallible.
    – The Button-Webber-Massa scrap might not have gone anywhere, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t good.
    – Rubens Barrichello went from the back of the grid to 12th.
    – We had a good old-fashioned strategy battle between Alonso and Hamilton.
    – In fact, we had half a dozen strategies up and down the grid.
    – The midfield fight between the Saubers and the Toro Rossos and the Force Indias came up.
    – Most importantly, we saw the return of Lewis Hamilton.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 13th November 2011, 14:50

@prisoner-monkeys Please just give the race the score you think it deserves. Don’t worry about how other people are going to rate it.

If everyone did that all we’ll get are people voting 1 and 10 and that will be utterly worthless. You will just spoil the whole thing.

• - Sebastian Vettel proves that he is fallible.

How was what happened to Vettel his fault? Did I miss some news?

• Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 13th November 2011, 14:51

God-tier trolling. I actually think you’re right. There’s going to be a tsunami of poor voted from people blinded by hatred of this circuit, I’m afraid to say.

It was definitely the most exciting Abu Dhabi race ever. DRS did its job by allowing overtaking and we saw some genuinely decent scraps because of it.

Also, Sauber scored some points. Which is always nice. Especially at this stage of the season.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 13th November 2011, 14:56

@Magnificent-Geoffrey We’ve not reached 50 votes yet but there’s absolutely no evidence of this so far.

It’s so, so depressing to see two long-term users of this site jumping to a negative conclusion about others for no reason whatsoever.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 13th November 2011, 15:00

Keith, Abu Dhabi usually gets a mauling from fans. And while their criticisms may be valid, I wanted to draw attention to some of the positives from the race.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 13th November 2011, 15:04

@Prisoner-Monkeys And you can do that in the comments.

But if you start pre-judging other people’s reactions and changing your vote accordingly, then that will end with everyone else doing the same and all the votes getting skewed as I just explained. So will you please not do that?

• Hairs (@hairs) said on 13th November 2011, 15:29

@keithcollantine.

That’s an excellent point, you know. You’d never catch me doing that, especially not about two curmudgeonly, self righteous, witless, disco-loving, Simon Cowell lookalike old trolls like @prisonermonkeys and @magnificent-geoffrey. *cough*

• Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 13th November 2011, 15:47

Fair point. I take criticism from level-minded, thoughtful, considerate and not in any way reactionary posters such as yourself seriously. :P

• Hairs (@hairs) said on 14th November 2011, 0:12

Disappointed not to get COTD for this one, I have to admit. That’s my natural modesty coming out again, I’m sure.

• Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 13th November 2011, 15:37

@Keith-Collantine I apologise if I came across as being overly negative, that wasn’t my intention. I hope I’ll be proven wrong about the low voting. I really do (and, pleasingly, it looks so far like I will be). But I’ve noticed that there seems to be a perpetuating hegemony amongst F1 fans that ‘Abu Dhabi is terrible and we have to criticise it at every opportunity’. I don’t like that. I like to judge each race on its own individual merits.

Looking at many of the comments on the live blog and on Twitter and elsewhere, I saw a lot of people saying how this was another boring, forgettable race and I felt that wasn’t justified. So I fully expected that I’d find a load of sub-5 votes in this poll reflecting that.

I gave this race a 6/10. It wasn’t a classic, but it was the best Abu Dhabi race by far. We had many more battles than we usually would do around here and while there wasn’t a battle at the front, we had a different winner, which always helps.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 13th November 2011, 14:57

The irony of it is that the people who vote like this don’t know what actually goes into circuit design. It’s all well and good to say “all new circuits should be like Spa”, but the truth is that good circuit design is like the Higgs-Boson Particle: we’re pretty sure it exists, we’re just having a lot of trouble finding it. During the telecast, David Coulthard said that he had asked Hermann Tilke about the pit lane going under the circuit, and Tilke replied that it was not his idea. Which makes me wonder – what else was not Tilke’s idea? The chicane at Turn 5? The other chicane at Turn 11? The bit under the hotel?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 13th November 2011, 15:00

@Magnificent-Geoffrey And what does “God-tier trolling” mean?

• Prateek727 (@prateek727) said on 13th November 2011, 14:54

- Sebastian Vettel proves that he is fallible.

I don’t think it’s even been ascertained whether the puncture was a result of driver error.

- Most importantly, we saw the return of Lewis Hamilton.

To be fair, all he really had to do was keep it on the black stuff and the win was guaranteed.

• F1fanNL (@) said on 13th November 2011, 15:39

Just a few corrections Yardbird Primates.

“- Sebastian Vettel proves that he is fallible. ”

Sebastian Vettel proves his car (or rather, the Pirelli tyre) is fallible.

“- The Button-Webber-Massa scrap might not have gone anywhere, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t good.”

It was OK at best. It wasn’t like Hamilton vs Webber in Korea and nowhere near as good as Vettel vs Hamilton in Spain let alone Vettel vs Alonso & Button in Monaco.

That was excitement lap after lap, this was just “Oh is he gonna get it? No he isn’t… And he’s backed off. Well that was that.”

“- Most importantly, we saw the return of Lewis Hamilton. ”

Yeah, after Vettel retired. I would have loved to see him win by beating Vettel or at least fight with Vettel for the lead. This was just… Meh.
      He controlled the race and was faultless but that’s about it really.
      Remember Alonso is in the third fastest car and was able to keep up with Hamilton for most of the race.
      That’s not exactly convincing me Hamilton is back to true form. I hope he is, but I doubt it.

Overall, a 6 from me. An anticlimactic start followed by an anticlimactic race. 1 point for Hamilton on the top step.

• Lachie (@lachie) said on 13th November 2011, 16:09

“- Sebastian Vettel proves that he is fallible. ”

Sebastian Vettel proves his car (or rather, the Pirelli tyre) is fallible.

Just curious, if the car is responsible for this mistakes is it therefore logically responsible for his successes?

(Calm down guys just muck raking a little :D)

• Well, I’ve learned today that the driver is invariably responsible for punctures, without any supporting evidence necessary. Good to know! I’m sure this will be applied equally to all drivers who get punctures in the future. ;-)

• F1fanNL (@) said on 13th November 2011, 17:50

Was the car responsible?

And was it a mistake?

Or was it a tyre failure…

Which could it be….

10.000 points for the man/woman with the correct answer!

9. 7 – better than India in my opinion, although it is sad the DRS is needed to allow most of the overtaking. Happy that Hamilton kept out of trouble and performed like he can, Alonso was fantastic and Button did well considering his KERS wasn’t working for part of the race. Webber was the quickest car on track but just can’t get the track position to make it count. Massa the less said the better.

Would love to know what caused Vettel’s tyre to fail, sure we’ll find out soon enough, quite happy we didn’t see him streaking into the distance once again though

• Daniel Thomas (@iamdanthomas) said on 13th November 2011, 14:55

It’s a shame isn’t it? If DRS is required to pass on modern circuits then it will continue to be employed, which lends a facade of quality to circuits that aren’t any good. It’s a self-perpetuating problem.

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 13th November 2011, 15:52

DRS shouldn’t guarantee a pass. When it is physically impossible to defend – it can only be seen as a failure. DRS should enable cars to get alongside each other so they can race but it shouldn’t allow for cars to complete a pass before they reach the corner.

Hopefully, they’ll use data from this year to tweak activation points next year so it works as it should.

10. Mark (@marlarkey) said on 13th November 2011, 14:50

Not a bad race…. Lewis did a good job, a sign of his old form :)… if Vettel hadn’t gone off it could have proved a very interesting race.

11. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 13th November 2011, 14:51

10/10 Lewis won.

Only joking, 7 slipped into a 6 at the anti-climactic end.

12. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 13th November 2011, 14:51

First lap was exciting, then the backmakers were rubbish, and there was nothing to see, appart from Mark’s alternative strategy.

DRS worked, but there was not much excitement on track. Probably it’d have been better with Vettel not suffering that puncture.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 13th November 2011, 16:23

I think the worst part about the backmarkers actually was the fact they got penalized!

Not a clue what Maldonado got his first drive through for though, as I am pretty sure that was never shown (might have been making coffee though ;-) ). With the incident where ALG and MAL were fighting, it really was a bit long, and ALG almost hit Massa. But a few laps later Maldonado really almost drove right off the track to find a place to let Webber past.
      What was clear for me was, that its too hard even to let another car past on part of the track, and in the straights those backmarkers weren’t that much slower to allow guys like Massa and Webber easily past.

13. matt90 (@matt90) said on 13th November 2011, 14:52

10 for the result. But the race was dull as that result was never in question. The mid-field had a few good bits of racing, as did Webber and Button briefly, but I still found it boring enough to be a 5.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 13th November 2011, 15:07

the race was dull as that result was never in question

I’m pretty sure it was in question for the first five hundred metres given that Vettel had about half a dozen car lenghts on Hamilton before wiping out.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 13th November 2011, 15:22

Haha. Taking that distance where the result was ‘open’ as a percentage of the race, it is probably worth about 0.001 extra points. As Keith didn’t have the hindsight to put 5.001 as a scoring option, I will have to settle on 5. Shame on you Keith.

14. another bizzare short sighted ferarri strategy. Not sure it would of made much difference. But if they kept him out 4 laps longer on first stop which was more than possible as his tyres looked fine. he would of then had an extra 4 laps on top of the extra 3 he already had done against lewis after 2nd stop. This would of (with a half decent stop) put him ahead or very close to lewis after 2nd stop.

ferrari very very short sighted strategy is hurting them. And is bizzare cos if i could pick up on at his first stop(not later, right at the time). Why cant they?

i think lewis had it in his pocket really cos mclaren is much faster, but ferrari make life hard for their selves. Thankfully for them they have a stunning lead driver otherwise they would of had no podiums in 2011.

15. Lachie (@lachie) said on 13th November 2011, 14:54

Stunning puncture from Vettel, never saw it coming ;)

It would be hypocritical of me to say this race was leaps and bounds over the Vettel-bores we’ve had this year, but the simple fact that we saw something different occur in this race makes puts it that shade above for me.

1 2 3 6