Rate the race: 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (4%)
  • 4 (7%)
  • 5 (16%)
  • 6 (24%)
  • 7 (28%)
  • 8 (9%)
  • 9 (4%)
  • 10 (4%)

Total Voters: 490

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

234 comments on Rate the race: 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

1 4 5 6
  1. Roberto (@roberto) said on 13th November 2011, 22:43

THE most boring race of the season hands down and it was the one where Vettel actually retired. Even the way he retired was a snooze fest. If Hamilton at least caused the puncture by touching him it would have brought in some controversy.. or if Vettel was able to continue and chase down the front runners, but unfortunately the whole race had below par written all over it. A very generous 3/10 from me.. shame.

2. soundscape (@soundscape) said on 13th November 2011, 22:58

8/10

I’m usually pretty harsh on Abu Dhabi, but the race this weekend was pretty good viewing.

Webber’s incredible third quarter push, Hamilton’s defending from Alonso, Alonso’s start and subsequent chase, the Button/Massa/Webber battles, the mid-pack battles between Force India/Renault/Sauber, the early battling between the Mercedes drivers, and even the back markers had their moments.

I also thought the coverage was better than usual. They seemed to cover most of the overtaking all over the track, and not just follow the guy out front for lap after lap like they tend to do. They also skipped most of the pit stops, which is a plus in my view.

Solid race overall. Entertained throughout.

• 91jb12 (@91jb12) said on 13th November 2011, 23:44

not sure Lewis ever had to ‘defend’ his lead. It never got under 2.5 seconds did it?
      There was much more than the other 2 races here but I always felt Hamilton could open the gap when he needed to and if we’re being consistant with other similar races its about a 6/10

• Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 14th November 2011, 6:52

I agree. I didn’t find this at all boring and it was certainly the best at Yas so far. A lot of whinging going on in the first five pages of posts so I skipped that.

3. 6/10

This was a better race than India, but only just. Vettel’s puncture and some near misses in the midfield during the opening laps had me hoping for a good race, but it was not to be.

Though I’m loving a Hamilton victory, he did today exactly what Vettel’s done all year. He built a gap, and maintained it. Button had an interesting race, but how much of that was down to KERS issues I don’t know.

My biggest peeve is the DRS. I like the system’s goal, but today was a farce, surpassing Turkey and Canada in the race for the “Most LOL-worthy DRS Zones” award. The first zone worked well enough, and made for some really nice overtakes in the chicane section (Webber on Button comes to mind), but the second one ruined it. It put drivers in an odd position of either compromising their own corner approach to get the second hit of DRS, or go for it only to be re-passed.

Next year I think we only need to have one zone, down the back straight into the 7-8 chicane. We didn’t see cars completely blow by here, the chicane is wide enough for two, and the car behind can strategically save KERS to counter attack into 9-10-11. Also, removing the 3-4-5 complex and replacing it with a wider hairpin may help things along.

Maybe we’ve just been spoiled by some amazing racing this year, but this one felt like a clinical race, just a stopgap until we can get to Sao Paulo.

4. RumFRESH (@rumfresh) said on 14th November 2011, 0:31

Well, the start was very exciting but that’s to be expected. The middle of the race was quite dull. I found DRS overtakes to be too artificial, but they definitely made the race more exciting. I think with DRS, people need to give it this whole season so that the FIA can evaluate the gains made on specific tracks, and hopefully they will tweak and fine tune it to get cars side by side into the next corner, I believe this is the target result. 6/10.

5. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 14th November 2011, 2:49

The double DRS zone explained everyone about “Newton’s third law of Motion” even he wouldn’t have believed that students will be taught with examples moving @ 300 km/h.I rated it 5 not too many actions for the lead all overtaking were in the DRS,but one good battle between Button & Webber. FIA need to stop the idea of double DRS zone in the future.

• vho (@) said on 14th November 2011, 4:30

I don’t mind the double DRS but not when they’re that close. Perhaps on two completely separate parts of the track – which pretty much means nowhere else at Yas Marina.

6. bearforce1 (@bearforce1) said on 14th November 2011, 3:46

The big disappointment for me was Vettels puncture. The Vettel/RBR consistent domination and well consistency was something special in itself. That ending left me a little flat.

Although I think Vettel looked to be charging away as usual we will never know if Lewis could have made a fist of it during the race.

On the upside I have to love Jenson, KERS out great battle with Webber. Really clever driving by Button. Or is it that Webber is just hopeless, he is really embarrassing himself out there I think. I like Jenson and am not a fan of Webbers so I’ll say a bit of both actually, Jenson great drive Webber woeful. Great fun to watch these two.

I am not a fan of Alonso but don’t dislike him either. I really admire the fact that he is one of the top drivers arguably the best and he is no prima donna, his work ethic impresses me. The result he got today was a result of him and him alone. Very exciting to watch him, I did feel like he might be in there with a chance during the race.

Still, a really pretty place Yas. Lovely to watch the gorgeous scenery and the beautiful cars under the amazing lights.

There were a few other interests but is Maldonado being craze racing or just a side show detracting form the sport.

This was the first race this season I found myself drifting off and actually looking at things on the net during the race. Not a great sign.

• Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 14th November 2011, 9:15

So if WEB is embarrassing himself HAM must be a right wally. He’s won three races and he still trails WEB in the points this year – as he did in 2009 and 2010. Must be really tough on the wonderboy to have trailed such an embarrasment for three seasons let alone having him place in front of the boy God two out of every three times they’ve raced since 2009. Hang on … Your name is Brundle isn’t it, come on ‘fess up.

• bearforce1 (@bearforce1) said on 14th November 2011, 10:18

Yeah web has always been hopeless in my opinion, his longevity in F1 has been a mystery to me.

Seb had heaps of mechanical DNF’s last year. Mechanical DNFs out, Seb owned Web again.

Web has the best car. Web qualifies relatively poorly and then goes backwards losing places at the start every race.

Your attempt to compare stats when they were in different cars is unhelpful. The best comparison is when they are driving the same car. Seb has absolutely murdered Webber.

I also wasn’t a big fan of Web whining to everyone about his car when his team gave him the fastest car on track. As Seb said last year web should get help form the medical team.

Seb is awesome and in form at the mo, and Web is an ordinary driver having a really bad run in form.

7. speedster (@speedster) said on 14th November 2011, 7:14

better than last two years.i’ll go for 6/10.

8. swh1386 (@swh1386) said on 14th November 2011, 10:16

I have no idea why this race rated so highly, it was a complete snooze feat yet again! No real drama or excitement, plenty of artificial overtaking but no real skilled passing moves, what happened to the pirellis we had at the start of the year?! I hope to god next season is better than this!

9. This race was the first time in years that I was so bored that I turned it off to do something else. I can’t remember the last time that happened.

10. smifaye (@smifaye) said on 14th November 2011, 14:39

I gave it a 6/10.

Even though I enjoyed Vettel dropping out of the race and especially Christian Horner’s face it did take away some of the drama from the race. Vettel hasn’t had an equal this year and it would have been awesome to see whether Hamilton could challenge him. Hamilton seemed to be on fire all weekend but we all know too well that practice times mean nothing when it comes down to the race.

As a race at Abu Dhabi goes, it was exciting and was good to see the Button, Webber and Massa fight. Apart from that it was interesting to see different strategies at work such as Webber and Di Resta but other than that it was pretty much a non-event. Glad we had someone else on the top step and a great job by Alonso to take 2nd.

11. Not a great race I rated it a 6.5 rounded up to a 7.

I was hoping Alonso would have been able to come out in front of Hamilton after his last pit stop and so we would have been treated to a battle for the lead but it wasn’t to be.

I am in two minds about DRS. It provided some entertainment with one driver overtaking in the first zone then being retaken in the second, but overall I felt it was a bit too artificial and overtakes made thanks to DRS just don’t impress me as much as regular overtaking manoeuvres.

1 4 5 6