Sauber latest team to join FOTA exodus

F1 Fanatic round-up

In the round-up: Sauber quit FOTA and Jos Verstappen accuses Michael Schumacher of cheating.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Sauber also leaves FOTA (Autosport)

“There are also fresh uncertainties about whether or not Scuderia Toro Rosso has also quit the body – with sources revealing that the Faenza-based team did not send a representative to FOTA’s meeting in London on Tuesday.”

Formula One: Schumacher’s 1994 car illegal, claims former team mate Verstappen (Autoweek)

“There were electronic driver aids. It was never mentioned, but I’m convinced, and when I later asked [team boss] Flavio Briatore he replied ‘Let’s not talk about it.’ So I know enough now.”

For F1 Fanatics who can read Dutch, here’s the original article.

F1 boss confirms deal with Austin F1 organisers has been reached (Austin-American Statesman)

“Bernie Ecclestone confirmed a deal had been reached with Circuit of the Americas investors. ‘Yes there will be a race there. We hope it will be for 10 years.’”

No comment (Joe Saward)

“Within a few hours of the announcement that the FIA has confirmed Formula 1???s return to Bahrain in April, the Bahrain Health Ministry issued a statement saying that a woman who was seriously hurt during recent anti-government protests has died of her injuries.”

2012 FIA Regulations highlights – with James Allison (Renault)

“Recent seasons has seen the FOM nose cameras located in a manner clearly aimed at promoting the performance of the front wing rather than to deliver effective TV pictures. A new article (20.3.4) has been introduced to ensure a minimum standard for the field of view of any nose mounted camera.”

BBC looks to rebuild team after talent raid by Sky (The Guardian)

“The BBC may look to Jonathan Legard or James Allen to fill the void left by Sky Sports’ on-screen talent raid, as it seeks to rebuild its Formula One team virtually from scratch.”

Will Buxton via Twitter

“Speaking to Sky folks at the weekend, they will be sending at least 80 people to every race! Eighty! And in answer to a few of you, Speed send one person (me) to each race, and we use my man Alex, an FOM cameraman, for our filming. And, no… I don’t think Speed viewers get 1/50th of a BBC show, nor 1/80th of a Sky show. We punch above our weight and love what we do.”

Mark Webber: Retire? I can see myself going beyond 2012, claims F1 veteran (Daily Mail)

“Helmut [Marko's] been quite keen to do one-year contracts, and in a way it hasn’t been too bad for me as well. That’s been his starting point for the last three or four years. That’s the way it’s been, and as always it gets to the middle of the year, we sit down and have a chat about things.”

Follow F1 news as it breaks using the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app.

Comment of the day

Mark Hitchcock on facing a ??363 bill to watch the ten F1 races not live or unedited on the BBC next year:

It?s disappointing because there are long-term fans who now can?t afford to watch it. It?s not that we?re choosing not to pay, it?s that there?s no choice to be made.

I?d pay if I could, but I can?t.

That?s why people are getting so angry.
Mark Hitchcock

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Gfasulo, James_mc, Joey-Poey, Koper and Rick DeNatale!

If you want a birthday shout-out tell us when yours is by emailling, using Twitter or adding to the list here.

On this day in F1

On this day last year Renault announced they also wished to use the name Lotus in 2011, kicking off the most tedious and wearisome saga of the last 12 months – the Lotus-versus-Lotus row.

87 comments on Sauber latest team to join FOTA exodus

1. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 8th December 2011, 8:38

The only organization that seems could have fought Bernie is now breaking into pieces.

2. BasCB (@bascb) said on 8th December 2011, 9:51

A big team of birthday bunnies today! Happy Birthday to all of you Gfasulo, @James_mc, @Joey-Poey, Koper and Rick DeNatale!

3. maxthecat said on 8th December 2011, 12:32

I think we all know Schumacher would/will do just about anything to win so claiming they had a system on his car but he didn’t use it doesn’t wash.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 8th December 2011, 15:15

And still there’s nothing conclusive to prove it was used. So your opinion doesn’t wash either.

• olivier (@olivier) said on 8th December 2011, 18:26

I think it was not Schumacher call but Benetton’s. Even if FIA would have proved the use of forbidden electronics, I doubt they would have received anything other than a race suspension. Remember that they were proved to be cheating by removing the filter of the refueling system and yet they received no punishment. This was particularly troubling as Verstappen himself was about to be engulfed by flames. 1994 a year to forget.

4. coefficient (@coefficient) said on 8th December 2011, 12:36

I smell some free Ferrari V8s for Mr. Sauber next year after this announcement.

Is it just me or is all this endless politicking getting boring? I just want to watch good, fair and fast racing with some interesting cars, teams and drivers.

It’s clear that F1 is nothing more than a commercial entity these days with a sporting facade stuck to the front of it to get people looking through the shop window.

F1 is dying, please somebody help her!!

5. Congrats on COTD Mark. You’ve hit the nail on the head in a very concise way. It’s not about how much of a fan someone is to pay for Sky it’s just about reality and most fans won’t be able to watch. It’s a sad day and there are plenty of fans (and fanatics) who love the sport more than I ever could and can spout the most random of facts but won’t be able to watched their beloved F1. I know that the BBC still has some races etc and the rest will be delayed highlights but how long will it be until it’s all just on Sky?

6. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 8th December 2011, 12:59

Peter Sauber in that picture. ‘You talkin’ to me?’

7. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 8th December 2011, 13:31

Next team to leave FOTA?

*Banzai mode*

PLACE BETS NOW!!

8. MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 10th December 2011, 6:23

B194 was probably a car that was created and went against the rules of the FIA for that season on more than one occassion. The fuel filter incident was an issue in 1994 that could have hurt one of their drivers, but in the spirit of winning that didn’t seem to matter.

The main accusation though is what is the true issue, a computer system on the car yet doesn’t get use is a funny paradox. Especially when we look at the facts, that the FIA wasn’t ever given the full team data and only slight evidence pointed to the use of such a system. I think the main issue is that in today’s world to alot of people that are fans of F1, Shumi is a god and to say that he didn’t win on his own making is wrong and upsetting to them. Shumi is great, but it’s not that hard to believe that such tools helped augment the already amazing skills of Schumacher. The final thing that helps me believe there was some cheating was the team boss for the time, Flavio Briatore. Who was forced to resign from F1 for race fixing, which is funny cause cheating isn’t something you develop overnight.

I guess if you look at it from a perspective at that frame of time, people would probably have found this to be true more so then the present. However, looking at the evidence over time…it doesn’t sound that irrational.