Perez: “I thought maybe I could have won it”

F1 Fanatic round-up

Sergio Perez, Sauber, Sepang, 2012In the round-up: Sergio Perez says he was “disappointed” after finishing second in Malaysia because he thought he could have won.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Interview with Sergio Perez: “We have to push hard and stay realistic” (Sauber)

“Initially I was a bit disappointed because I thought maybe I could have won it, although nobody knows what in the end would have happened if I had managed to attack Fernando (Alonso) and whether I would have got by him or not.”

Nico Rosberg about the Malaysian GP 2012: “It was an up and down weekend for me.” (YouTube)

Analysis – Ferrari gearbox-chassis stiffening arm (F1)

“Following Fernando Alonso advice, Ferrari have introduced to the F2012 a concept used by their driver’s former team, Renault, as long ago as 2001.”

Ferrari vows to protect Massa (Autosport)

Stefano Domenicali: “We need to stay close to Felipe in this moment. It’s a difficult moment and we need to find a way for him to get confident in his car.”

James Allison ?ǣ “What We?d Give for a ‘Normal’ Race!” (Lotus)

“The big positive we can take from today is that our pace and degradation on the slick tyres at the end of the race was very encouraging. Give us a clean race with good getaways from the right qualifying positions and we should be able to collect a good reward.”

A race to be proud of (Sky)

Martin Brundle: “It made absolutely no sense that Perez wasn’t pitted for slicks on lap 40 with Alonso. Daniel Ricciardo in the Toro Rosso had long demonstrated that they were the tyre of choice and delaying by one lap cost Perez over five seconds. Even if it rained, which was predicted as possible at the time, his heavily worn intermediates would have been of little use anyway.”

Rubens Barrichello diary: ‘Take the positive’ after 17th (USA Today)

“The strategy in F1 is to just fill up the car and go. In IndyCar racing, there are so many elements of strategy in relation to the yellow flags and fuel. It’s something I’m going to have to learn. I wasn’t really allowed to push the car as hard as I could today, and that was frustrating.”

Mansell: Button showed tremendous maturity after Karthikeyan smash (Talksport)

“I thought it was a 50-50 call. When a car is that slow and you know you have faster cars around you, you have to pay attention and he should have given way.”

Kevin Bakhurst via Twitter

“Malaysian F1 Grand Prix on Sunday – Sky Sports F1 [average] 0.96m – peak 1.50m. BBC1 F1 highlights [average] 2.7m – peak 3.2m.”

People Talk: Guillaume ‘Rocky’ Rocquelin (Red Bull)

“It?s about results ?ǣ as opposed to working in a bank, where you don?t know what the outcome is. You could do the same job for years and not know if you?re actually doing a good job, what I like about Formula One is that every day you know if you?re hitting the target or not.”

iWITNESS: Malaysia (Williams)

Jenson Button might live in Monaco and have a Japanese girlfriend, but he revealed the extent of his Englishness today. During the race?s red flag interlude, he headed back to McLaren?s hospitality area for a cup of tea. White, one sugar. A rich tea biscuit as well?”

Comment of the day

Dorian on Felipe Massa’s situation at Ferrari:

I like the guy as a person, seems lovely… but this isn?t the Red Cross or Amnesty International or a School Athletics Day where ‘participation is all that matters’ and everyone gets a ribbon ?ǣ this is F1 and it?s about winning!
Dorian

From the forum

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today.

On this day in F1

Five years ago today the FIA announced it would change its bodywork tests after it had been discovered that at least one team had found a way around its floor deflection test.

Ferrari were revealed to have used a spring in its floor which allowed it to pass the FIA’s stiffness test, yet move when being driven on the track in order to gain a performance advantage.

Image ?? Sauber F1 Team

85 comments on Perez: “I thought maybe I could have won it”

1. MattB (@mattb) said on 27th March 2012, 12:00

I thought it was interesting that Button wasn’t penalised by the stewards for “causing a collision”. Are the stewards being a little more lenient this year?

2. I’d be thoroughly disappointed if I was Perez. Sure, best ever result for you in a short career, and the team in their independent guise…

… but c’mon Sergio. You were going to win that race. There’s no two ways about it. You were catching Alonso at a second per lap, and all that was needed was some DRS to make the pass, nothing dangerous or a risky lunge down the inside.

It was his to win, and he threw it away. 2nd is nothing when an amazing win was 110% yours.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 28th March 2012, 18:01

110%? Wow…doesn’t say much for FA’s ability to keep a car behind him. As much as I dislike DRS, it has shown to not always guarantee 110% a pass every time. And this is Perez vs. a two time WDC…methinks F1 is a tad harder than you are portraying here. And I doubt 2nd is nothing to SP. I think he’s already got something amazing to tell his grandkids, even if he somehow never does another thing in F1. Do you think he had/has a chance at 2nd in dry conditions? Methinks he’ll look back at this 2nd placing for the rest of his life as a racing highlight for him, being a ‘first’ in his short career.

3. Thepointis2 said on 27th March 2012, 14:34

Maybe Perez just realizing that loosing position in Australia and missing the win in Sepang cost him leading the championship after two races in a year were points will be hard to get as they spreading wide, his move is going up contrary to Vettel, massa and probably Grogeain

4. The Limit said on 27th March 2012, 14:57

I felt sorry for Perez. Going off the track like he did whilst running Alonso down reminded me of Raikkonen a decade ago in Magny Cours. Back then, Kimi was the second season driver hunting down Michael Schumacher in his prime. Only to hit an oil patch and skid off towards the end of the grands prix, with Schumacher’s Ferrari within sight!
    From then on, there was no doubt in anybody’s mind that Kimi Raikkonen was a quality driver, and the same applies to Sergio Perez.
    As for Fernando Alonso sharing past knowledge with his present team Ferrari, I find the suggestion that it is ‘underhand’ laughable. As others have rightly implied, there is no comparison between this and what McLaren were found guilty of five years ago.
    To prove a point, every driver in park ferme looks at the machines the others are driving at the end of the grands prix. They all copy each other when they see something on a car that appears to work well, but thats it. McLaren were found guilty of having large quantities of Ferrari documentation concerning the complete design and build of their 2007 machine. The FIA fined them $100 million and kicked them out of the constructors championship. An altogether different kettle of fish!

5. John H (@john-h) said on 27th March 2012, 15:11

Perhaps Sauber were thinking about their engine supplier when they told Perez to calm down a bit, but if that’s the case then so be it. This is formula 1 and such ‘relationships’ between teams has been going on for years and so long as the decisions are made independently by each team (I can’t imagine Ferrari actually going down the pitlane and telling Peter Sauber to cool his driver off) then that’s just the way things are.

Formula 1 is not a single spec series and as such there will always be some teams that have stronger bonds with others and some less so. Ok, it may detract from the pure racing sometimes (like *perhaps* Perez not battling Alonso) but this is also why we love F1 so much sometimes – little stories going on behind the scenes that make us talk about it more.

6. Andy said on 27th March 2012, 15:27

My opinion is he didn’t lost that much time with the error itself, but afterwards he didn’t committed fully anymore to the corners; there was no confidence at all anymore for atleast a complete lap. My guess is even with that error he could have gotten back to Fernando, but lost even more time getting his confidence back.

7. SteveF1 said on 28th March 2012, 0:18

On the TV figures, I don’t actually care as Im super happy to have F1 on Sky simply because of the extras we now have avaliable.

BBC gave us the onboard & driver tracker on red button yet on sky were getting so much more & i am loving it!

the new pit lane channel Sky have is simply awesome, been able to listen to all this extra team radio is simply fantastic & we also get race control messages & some other information.

on top of that we get 4 onboard feeds & been able to go between them is great, you see so much more than just watching the world feed broadcast.
    also getting the official timing channel that all the teams get on the pit wall lets you see who’s doing what times & what all the gaps are.

i’ve been watching f1 since the early 70s & the sky coverage of the actual race broadcast is by far the best coverage of f1 i’ve ever seen.
    post race could be better but the actual race broadcast is awesome, really loving all the extra stuff we now have avaliable :)

8. Solo (@solo) said on 28th March 2012, 16:23

I liked the Williams article. Especially the incident with the dogs was quite an amusing story.