Rate the race: 2012 Chinese Grand Prix

2012 Chinese Grand Prix

What did you think of the Chinese Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Chinese Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (1%)
  • 6 (2%)
  • 7 (8%)
  • 8 (24%)
  • 9 (42%)
  • 10 (22%)

Total Voters: 862

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

290 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Chinese Grand Prix

1. pSynrg (@psynrg) said on 15th April 2012, 12:57

Simply brilliant race but isn’t it always in China! There’s something about this combo that should be written in stone. If only anyone knew what that was.

It’s also great to crown a new winner – and this one was long overdue – quality drive from Nico. Such bad luck for Schuey and what a magnanimous person he is.

On another note – 3 races, 3 different winners – what a season this is shaping up to be! And champs leader hasn’t even won one yet!

2. Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 15th April 2012, 13:11

I voted seven. So much was going on I couldn’t really follow it and I wasn’t sure if cars were passing for position or because they were on differing strategies, which sapped my enjoyment of it slightly. Still a good race though!

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 15th April 2012, 14:51

For me @dan-thorn, that wasn’t a big problem, they way people got past others on a different strategy (or didn’t get past) is a major influence on how far their strategy can get them. I feel that if McLaren had better considered, for example, Hamilton getting past Massa (stopped him progressing for quite a few laps), he might have been ahead of Button in the end, and maybe they might have considered a 2 stopper for Button – though he had less trouble getting past people, just had the bad stop.

Those things are hard to control, even with a good car and a good strategy, or the race could be simulated; it’s what actually happens when they are all on track that is interesting to see, to me.

• Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 15th April 2012, 15:28

I understand the frustration at a driver getting penalised for some that isn’t really his fault, but I think grid penalties are the right option. The driver is the focus but he’s still part of a team – if a driver gets a penalty in a race for, say, speeding in the pit land and loses places, the team have lost constructor points despite it not being their fault. To me it’s the same thing and they shouldn’t be separated.

If a car is ineligible for constructors points, then if they finish in the points they’re taking points away from whoever they finish ahead of, which isn’t fair on the team that have managed to build a reliable car…

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 15th April 2012, 15:39

Not necessarily, it would depend on how the rule is written.

3. mrgrieves (@mrgrieves) said on 15th April 2012, 13:25

Utter brilliance. Thought at the start the DRS wasnt doing enough but i wouldnt change anything except who i predicted!

4. Brolloks (@brolloks) said on 15th April 2012, 14:05

Would probably have given it a 10, had Rosberg not been the victor.

5. Good race and once again proof that this season will be played in the midfield. Battles for position all over the place. Strategies and DRS managed to take half-the-fun out of it though. 7 overall for me.

10 for Rosberg! Schumacher getting another handful of bad luck kinda spoiled it for me as well. Mercedes threw away an easy 1-2 finish here. However, I expect Nico’s win here to take some of the pressure off the team and take some of their eagerness away. This is the actual season starter for them. If they play their cards properly they might very well be in the books for a top 3 constructors’ championship finish.

McLaren made a podium drive look like an easy job, provided Hamilton’s penalty and Button’s mishap in the pits.
    Good drive by Williams as well. They are starting to look consistent (something amazing if you take Maldonado and Senna’s lack of skills here and there into account).
    Also, glad to see Webber’s understanding of the current car paying off. If he keeps beating Vettel on track this might cause some side-switching inside the Red Bull team which might, in turn, prove very interesting to watch.

Expected to see more from Sauber, based on the confidence gained last weekend. Faded somewhere between a poor start and poor strategies.

Raikkonen, Force India and Toro Rosso, today’s biggest disappointments, except for the Mercedes vs. Schumacher affair of course.

3 races down, M. Schumacher – 1 pts / F. Massa – 0 pts. Unbelievable…

6. infernojim (@infernojim) said on 15th April 2012, 14:27

The best driver on the grid not to have won, now has. Begs the question, who is now the best driver on the grid yet to have won a race. Here’s the contenders-
    Grosjean
    Ricciardo
    Karthikeyan
    De La Rosa
    Petrov

For me I’d say Perez or Glock

7. AlexNK said on 15th April 2012, 14:39

I give this race an 8/10. It seemed to have it all – a 1st time underdog-winner, chess-like tactical play with a nice payoff at the end, great wheel-to-wheel battles. It would have been 10/10 if not for two problems. One point I have to subtract because the winner was essentially decided in the McLaren pits, and another one goes courtesy of Ferrari, where once again ‘the most complete driver’ cannot pass his poor teammate without another ‘Fernando is faster than you’-like message.

8. Liam McShane (@motor_mad) said on 15th April 2012, 14:55

5 from me. It was really boring for the majority until the last 10-15 laps, but even then only a few overtakes happened.

• Kanil (@kanil) said on 15th April 2012, 21:38

Agreed. Gave it a 6, though.

A walkaway race at one of the worst tracks on the schedule is going to need more than a handful of laps of racing in the midpack to be a good race, to me.

9. Rocky (@rocky) said on 15th April 2012, 14:55

Great Race on all fronts: 8/10
    Nico fantastic first win but, now get in the fight for WC.
    Jenson with letting Nico have his first win, 2nd will do just fine for now.
    Lewis again letting Nico have his day and with Lewis behind Jenson keeps the race to WC tight.
    Mark what a great result passing Vettel on last lap, keep that up, great surprise they didn’t tell you to hold station.
    Vettel finding it a bit tuff having to race without a runaway car are we, but learning different finger positions.
    Massa thanks for backing up the field on your strategy providing a great race at the last.
    Kimi best have a chat with your strategist but thanks for a few exciting moments 2nd to 14th oops!
    F1 please do not go to Bahrain, sport over politics but not at the cost of life.

10. McLar3n said on 15th April 2012, 15:49

Epic race! For me, the highlight of the day:
    Mark Webber muscle car style lift off. And then finish fourth.
    LIKE A BOSS.

11. chaes said on 15th April 2012, 15:55

There was a prison break in Pakistan by Taliban and about 300 prisoners escaped and now what to Bahrain . kk

12. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 15th April 2012, 15:59

Good race, I gave it an 8. I think I’m giving it an extra point based purely on the result, which I’m not meant to do, but having a new winner is just a cause for celebration in itself, regardless of your preferred driver/team persuasion. The field was so close throughout which makes for a great spectacle. The heavy use of strategy certainly kept me on my toes, it’s not often I use live timing during the race but today I did so.

Biggest disappointment? Mercedes getting in wrong for Schumacher.

13. taurus (@taurus) said on 15th April 2012, 16:01

Wasn’t great for the first 30 laps. Then it became quite simply the best 26 laps I’ve ever seen in 20-odd years of watching F1. Outstanding racing.

If you found that boring you are watching the wrong sport.

14. djdaveyp85 (@djdaveyp87) said on 15th April 2012, 16:02

This race gets a 10 from me.

We had:
    • A brilliant drive from a first time winner
    • The thrill of not knowing who was going to win for most of the race
    • Battles up and down the field, with teams having to take risks to try and keep their positions.
    • Lots of traffic that doesn’t have to move to keep the battles even more exciting (which is why they should scrap blue flags!)
    • Lots more stuff here
    • Even more stuff here
    • Yet more stuf here

This race was just action, action, action. It was a huge thrill to watch and I’m immensely proud of Nico Rosbergs maiden win. The third son of a race winner to be a race winner himself.

My bladder was pretty full by the end of the race because I could not move out of my chair to go to the loo.

If every race was like this, F1 would have more fans than football!

15. Christopher (@cmancuzo13) said on 15th April 2012, 16:20

9/10. Great dry race. Dominating win for Rosberg. Alonso scores points. Thats the only time Massa will be leading a GP ever again hahah! McLaren still having problems with the pitstops. Schumachers problem. Kobayashi did the kamikazi fall to 10th I think? Raikkonen got eaten up at the end lost a ton of spots due to the tires I guess. I thought for a second that Vettel was on podium, so happy hes not! Both Williams in the points. Fantastic race all together. Good close racing decent passing. Very happy over here. Looking forward to the next GP. See you in Bahrain. (i guess we are still going)