Rate the race: 2012 Canadian Grand Prix

2012 Canadian Grand Prix

What did you think of the Canadian Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Canadian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (1%)
  • 5 (2%)
  • 6 (4%)
  • 7 (15%)
  • 8 (30%)
  • 9 (28%)
  • 10 (18%)

Total Voters: 797

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

223 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Canadian Grand Prix

1 5 6 7
  1. PJA (@pja) said on 11th June 2012, 13:32

Great race, the Canadian Grand Prix is still probably my favourite overall on the calendar and the most likely to provide an entertaining race.

The difference in strategies really made the race with Hamilton using his fresher tyres to catch and overtake the one-stoppers but I was surprised Grosjean was able to make a one stop work better than both Alonso and Vettel.

I found it a tough decision whether to give it an 8 or 9 rating. As I only saw the BBC highlights rather than the full race live it hampered my overall enjoyment of the race. I was set to give it an 8 but if I had seen it live I think I would have rated it higher possibly an 8.5 rounded up to a 9, so I did give it a 9 in the end.

2. cjpdk (@cjpdk) said on 11th June 2012, 15:13

7/10, the race picked up massively within the last 10 or so laps.

3. DaveW (@dmw) said on 11th June 2012, 19:10

On the DRS thing you know its shocking that’s the whole scope of comments here, practically. I hate DRS too. And frankly, it took the stuffing out of the final laps. But lets remember than as far back into antiquity as 2008 we saw dominant cars blow by other cars for position. Hockenheim 2008 was not boring because Hamiilton passed Piquet for the win like he was chained to a post. Or when Kimi mowed down Fisi in Japan in 2005. It’s just a dynamic of the racing under the current rules. It’s just a particularly obvious dynamic now. In this race, without DRS, what would have been the story? Hamilton maybe does not get by Alonso after the first stop. Then of course he stops again and the race turns out the same way—Alonso would have still be helpless at the end without DRS. So maybe the battle down the straight until the braking zone, when Alonso has to brake like 50m earlier anyway. It makes no difference in the end one whit. The real issue, if you want to talk about lousy easy passing is the tires. So here, DRS, the usual suspect, has to walk because it only threw a match on an inferno that the tires started.

4. Pedro Costa (@pnunocosta) said on 11th June 2012, 21:34

I give it a 7 as I was hoping for much more entertainment in this race. Things only started to spice up on the last 10 or 15 laps. Before this stage of the race it kind of remembered Monza a track wich seems good for overtaking but when the races come we hardly see any.
    I honestly think that this race is being over-rated because the winner was Hamilton, had it been Vettel or Alonso doing what Hamilton did it would be rated with a 6 or 7! :-)
    Clearly we the “fanatics” vote more with the heart that with the mind!

5. Shane (@shane-pinnell) said on 11th June 2012, 21:40

4 – Could have been double that if they removed DRS. I don’t see the need for it. Too many drivers were left all but defenseless as a result of DRS & tire degradation. Alonso falling back for instance, no need for DRS there, his tires provided all the performance differential needed. At least without DRS it would have been a legitimate overtaking maneuver and maybe he could have defended to some degree. It is a shame to see a “push to pass” button at this level of racing, especially when it clearly isn’t needed.

6. F1fanNL (@) said on 11th June 2012, 22:39

6 out of 10.

DRS was awful. Alonso couldn’t even defend against Hamilton (first pass, not the second one where Alonso was on 25 year old tyres).

Also, nothing really happened. Once Hamilton got passed Alonso I knew it was over. The McLaren was the fastest car on track. Then Ferrari and Red Bull decided to make it even less exciting by trying to do over 50 laps on the softs which was basically them putting a nice ribbon around Hamilton’s victory.
    There were a few scraps here and there but nothing as exciting as China or Bahrain.

7. Hairs (@hairs) said on 12th June 2012, 0:01

I have no idea where the 8, 9, & 10′s are coming from for this race. 90% of it was utterly drab, the tension over “will Hamilton do it?” lasted 3 laps while his times stayed stable , and the final few laps was all about tyres, not driving. Nowhere near as good as last year’s. You could have skipped laps 1 – 50 and missed nothing at all.

8. Patrickl (@patrickl) said on 12th June 2012, 18:31

I haven’t seen much of the races this season. Not too interested in F1 since the tyre lottery was introduced. This was the first race I watched the whole race. I’m really glad I did, because this looked like the racing I loved from before. Perhaps it would have been better if Alonso and Vettel actually had gone on the same strategy as Hamilton, but in this case even some tyre based “entertainment” was exciting in it’s own way.

Personally I liked the “boring” bit before that better. The suspense of how the race will unfold with the top 3 continuously that close to each other interests me a whole lot more than all the fake “overtaking” that has been introduced.

1 5 6 7