Rate the race: 2012 Belgian Grand Prix

2012 Belgian Grand Prix

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, Spa-Francorchamps, 2012What did you think of the Belgian Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Belgian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (2%)
  • 4 (3%)
  • 5 (4%)
  • 6 (10%)
  • 7 (20%)
  • 8 (32%)
  • 9 (22%)
  • 10 (5%)

Total Voters: 520

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

Image ?é?® Lotus F1 Team/LAT

164 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Belgian Grand Prix

1. Jason (@jason12) said on 2nd September 2012, 16:17

That was definitely an avoidable accident. Seems like Grosjean just closed his eyes, and said ‘the entire track is mine!’
    :D

2. Sean N (@sean-p-newmanlive-co-uk) said on 2nd September 2012, 16:20

In the good old days there would have been red flag and a restart in the spare cars. Much better for everyone in every way except of course for Bernies TV scheduling. Money ruins sport once again.

• Chris (@chris) said on 2nd September 2012, 16:26

Let’s just do not prevent teams from spending too much money and they will have spare cars like in the old times ….

• Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 2nd September 2012, 16:35

That wasn’t a red flag though. The debris were mostly off the racing line (amazingly), so the safety car would have been deployed even 10 years ago.

• Sean N (@sean-p-newmanlive-co-uk) said on 2nd September 2012, 19:02

Possibly not a red flag although I was thinking pre-safety car days. If they could use spare cars at restarts we would have still had the pleasure of Hamilton and Alonso’s participation. I can’t help thinking we (and they) missed out because of the need to keep to the TV schedule.

By the way I’m not one of those guys who always say the good old days were better just for the sake of it. Modern safety standards and some of the 1970’s sporting ethic would be an ideal blend.

I give the race a 7/10 bit I think with Hamilton and Alonso running back to the pits for their spare cars (maybe setup for their team mate) and the prospect of another start would make it a 9/10. Just my opinion.

3. Chris (@chris) said on 2nd September 2012, 16:24

Imperial Jenson & McLaren !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lovely !!!!!!!!!!!!

On the other handf grosjean should be life-banned from F1 for madaness !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 2nd September 2012, 16:25

9; I thought it was incredibly exciting to watch

5. icemangrins (@icemangrins) said on 2nd September 2012, 16:31

About Grosjean, didn’t he do the same with Michael at the start at Monaco

6. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 2nd September 2012, 16:32

8. Some good racing in the midfield, with a good amount of racing. DRS was okay, if a bit easy for my taste, I would personally put it on the exit of Blanchemont towards the Bus Stop. Vettel had a great drive to 2nd, Hulkenburg did well to get 4th, and Torro Rosso did well.

The shunt removed many of the drivers who might have challenged Button for the win, and I am gutted for Sauber. To have a change of an amazing result only for both cars to be wiped out in a crash where they were the innocent victims must be galling. Hope they do it again, because Kobayashi up front can only be an exciting thing!

7. Salcrich said on 2nd September 2012, 17:15

Give Button his due he was untouchable in qualifying and held the same margin in the race. Ifs buts and maybes are all very well but where were the guys who were eliminated going to find the speed to challenge Button? He drove away from the field as anticipated by his qualifying gap. As far as the race is concerned it was a 9 – loads of wheel to wheel action- definitely not one of those races where you could fast forward to the last 10 laps.

• Yes, as always Button is absolutely amazing – or at least when he has a diffuser or new rear wing that makes his a car a couple of seconds faster than the rest of the field, or the mains of it :-P

It could have a been a 7 but with the same leader from pole to finish and no title battle it can only be a 6.

8. Jorge Lardone (@jorgelardone) said on 2nd September 2012, 17:35

9 for me, great race. Sauber: “Best Unlucky Team” of the year.

9. f199player (@f199player) said on 2nd September 2012, 18:11

6 – Great racing throughout the field, but the TV director missed alot of the action which has lowered the rating from me

10. smifaye (@smifaye) said on 2nd September 2012, 19:51

Not a classic race by any means but it was fun to see the different strategies at work and to see a dominating performance from Jenson Button. Mostof the drama was at the first corner and we were robbed of some great fights through the field but on the whole there was some good overtaking moves. 7

11. F1Yankee (@f1yankee) said on 2nd September 2012, 19:55

i wanted to vote 7.5, but i didn’t feel like it justified rounding up to 8 still, good action, strong performances and a hell of a crash that will live in highlights for decades

i’m stingy with my 8’s and 9’s, 10 better blow my jaded mind. i wish i had some list of criteria for judging. for example, spa 2012 earns maximum crash points, and the uncontested victory scores high for performance but low in competition. whatever :D

12. shaggymike (@shaggymike) said on 2nd September 2012, 20:08

A big old fashioned pile up at the start is just what this season was missing! it mixed things up nicely, and no one was hurt. All that was missing was a fight for the lead. Great race!

13. Dimitris 1395 (@dimitris-1395) said on 2nd September 2012, 20:50

I might be a little biased as I watched it live but, overall, it was a very good race. Despite the crash which eliminate 4 favourite drivers, the race had a lot of battles and plenty of overtaking action. Behind Button, every driver made an overtake, which must be a kind of record. Also, I had the luck to see Raikkonen overtake Schumacher in front of me in Eau Rouge and I was ecstatic!

14. I gave it 7/10 but I think it might be too much.
    The DRS zone was crazy – in a negative way – apart from the Red Bulls, everyone cruised past the others. Some defended well and some attacked on the outside, but every lap there was a move – which made it look simple. Kimi passed Schumacher very well then with the DRS the German got past again. Then the opposite, then vice-versa, etc.
    The start crash was scary but at least it took some contenders out of the race, which helped others like Hulkenberg, Massa and Vettel to score good results, which was nice to see although I hoped the Saubers would have finished on the podium.

15. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 3rd September 2012, 2:52

7 from me, I though towards the end of the race the two stopper will have a good fight with the one stopper but it never happened,seems like the tyres brought were too conservative for this race.I still Perelli should still follow to bring Supersoft & Medium or Soft & Hard tyre combination to all circuits but the street circuits can be exception.