Rate the race: 2012 Singapore Grand Prix

2012 Singapore Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Marina Bay, 2012What did you think of the Singapore Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Singapore Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (3%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (6%)
  • 4 (8%)
  • 5 (15%)
  • 6 (22%)
  • 7 (25%)
  • 8 (13%)
  • 9 (3%)
  • 10 (3%)

Total Voters: 557

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2012 Singapore Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Singapore Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Singapore GP/Sutton

134 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Singapore Grand Prix

1 2 3 4
  1. xivizmath (@xivizmath) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:08

That’s 3/10 for me. Nothing special.

2. Incredibly boring! 4/10 for the few good battles.

• PJ (@pjtierney) said on 23rd September 2012, 17:39

4 for me. Not a whole lot happened before the Safety Cars (which themselves were too long). Were it not for the interesting battles near the end I’d have rated it lower.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 23rd September 2012, 18:31

I thought it was one of the best races of the year! So much drama, like last week, and constant battling. Was on the edge of my seat for the entire race!

• Franton said on 23rd September 2012, 18:34

Not sure what race you were watching, but it wasn’t what I saw!

• I agree about the drama but dislike the night/street format, it’s like watching a race in a tunnel, you need the chicanes and start finish grid to know what part of the track you are looking at. I gave it 5 for lots of action but think I was probably to generous.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 24th September 2012, 7:11

@damonsmedley . I have to agree with you. I thought this race was one of the most exciting races of the year. There was non stop battling, accidents, safety car periods, strategic gambles and drama for Mclaren fans.

I thought the race would be better if Lewis was still in it, and Vettel and him had to battle it out for P1 with all the safety car periods and pit stop strategy. I still had to rate the race 8.

I think a lot of Mclaren &n Hamilton fans are disappointed hence the low rating

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 24th September 2012, 7:16

@todfod Yeah, I just wasn’t brave enough to say that! :-P It’s disappointing for Lewis’ championship hopes, but there’s no masking what a race that was. I’d argue it was better than the 2010 race.

3. 5 for me. I liked the carnage in the middle of the race, with the two SC periods and all that followed. But the rest of the GP was pretty dull, and 2 hours… is quite a long looong time.

Hangover doesn’t help either. Back to bed now !

4. quite boring.

5. First half of the race was incredibly boring, safety car was just back in when it had to come back out again, no fight for the lead and some disappointing DNF’s. Massa was great though, that overtake on Senna was insane!

• Wilhelm (@wilhelm) said on 23rd September 2012, 21:01

I could’nt watch the race but just had a look at this precise overtake : wow!! A clear contender for overtake of the year / even decade!

6. 7: I enjoyed it – some good overtakes, and some great driving control (Massa), there was lots of action, crashes and close shaves.

• Zubair (@zubair380) said on 23rd September 2012, 19:48

Agree, would’ve been a 6 for me, but Massa’s absolutely mad overtake and a few others is what lifted it slightly to a 7.
      Other than that, I felt it was a rather slow paced race.

7. Pretty much an avarage race yeah. A bit of action in the last quarter with Massa doing some of it. And not too bad between the pack WEB, PER, KOB, HUL and PER.
    But a big shame about Hamilton and Maldonado dropping out for a more exiting race.

8. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:12

Six for me. Some drama but otherwise fairly dull.

9. Alehud42 (@alehud42) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:14

Lewis’ retirement took the sting out of the race that perfectly demonstrates why Singapore is one of the worst tracks on the calendar.

10. Younger Hamii (@younger-hamii) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:14

7. Race eventually became more vibrant in the latter stages but other than that, nothing spectacular really (albeit Massa’s move on Bruno).

11. A 7 from me. I know it seems a but much, but from a street circuit I wasn’t expecting wheel-to-wheel stuff for 2 hours. Good racing in the second half though

12. Dimitris 1395 (@dimitris-1395) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:15

The race was a disgrace to Formula 1. Mechanical failures formed the outcome and it was just pathetic to see exhausted drivers just trying to complete an unecessary duration of a extremely boring race. Please make the race shorter, no driver can race there…

13. bosyber (@bosyber) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:16

I found the first 10 laps after the 2nd SC very interesting, first bit wasn’t very, then HAM going out apparently meant we’d have no real fight for the win with BUT waiting until he had too little pace on the softs, well done McLaren …. Some good action from Massa, great race from di Resta, and Alonso got his podium once again to keep him well ahead in the WDC. Not too bad two hours, but not great compared to some of the other races this year.

14. Himmat Singh. said on 23rd September 2012, 15:16

4 from me. Was quite a procession for the first 30 odd laps. Even after that it was plain old boring. I’d take 2 hours of Spa or Monza, but never Singapore (or Monaco for that matter).

15. Which race? The one before or after the safety car?
    The first 30 laps are worthy of a 4 and the last 30 of a 6, maybe. So, I’m gonna say 5 in average. Still, too much of a simulated Monacoesque experience for my taste. It would have ranked even lower if it wasn’t for the scrambles in midfield and the safety car periods turning the strategies upside down.

Still, one could say this was a bit less boring than watching tyres wear.

16. Estesark (@estesark) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:19

4 from me; the lowest I’ve rated any race so far this season. The crashes provided some talking points, but the ensuing safety car periods were far too long (a symptom of the new rules). We could have had a great battle between Vettel and Hamilton, but another mechanical failure deprived us of that. It also means that Alonso’s lead in the championship is a lot healthier than it should have been, which isn’t great – I want to see it as close as possible.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:20

@estesark

the ensuing safety car periods were far too long (a symptom of the new rules)

Agreed. Having unlapped drivers go around is a waste of time on tracks as long as we have in F1. It works on ovals in IndyCar, it doesn’t work here.

• Sad the number of racing laps were effectively controlled by how slow/fast the backmarkers chose to ‘catch up’, given that one or more may have no incentive to get it restarted…. Am sure it’s a fine place if you’re part of the in crowd, but glad to hear Kimi interviewed and simply saying ‘it’s a boring race’… hurray we’ve still got a driver who’s not into the ‘politically correct-speak’.

17. Yorricksfriend (@yorricksfriend) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:21

About a 7. Why is everyone saying boring? Where they watching the same race I was? The race was full of drama, battles and tension. I enjoyed the race despite being disappointed in the result. It would’ve been more interested had Hamilton’s car let him compete with Vettel.

• SimBri (@f1addict) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:50

I agree, really enjoyed it. Kimi was just saying it’s boring because you can’t overtake. Well, other people managed to, Kimi (and by no means all under DRS).

Hamilton retirement stripping us of an interesting battle and too long under safety car the only negatives for me.

• I enjoyed the race also but fail to understand why every one is moaning about Lewis not finishing. Vettel would probably have caught him any way. I thought the safety cars spoilt Jensons chances as he was on newer tyres than Vettel until the 2nd safety car. That may have developed into a better battle at the end.Alonso for the title

• Yorricksfriend (@yorricksfriend) said on 24th September 2012, 4:30

Vettel would probably have caught him any way.

Exactly! And that would’ve been great, as old Murray Walker used to say “Catching is one thing, passing is another”. Would’ve been great to see those two having a bit of a battle. We were slightly robbed of that I think.

• No, Kimi also did overtake but he said he was stuck behind Mercedes most of the race which had too much straight line speed for the Lotus to overtake.

18. 5 – The race died as a spectacle when Hamilton retired, he and Vettel were a long way ahead of everyone else on pace and we were deprived of a good battle between them at the front. After that Vettel had it completely under control with an excellent drive and Button never looked remotely like challenging. Great drive from Di Resta as well.

Feel bad for Maldonado, he kept his head down at the start and was actually driving really well but then his car breaks which was a shame. Also, Alonso has driven really well this year (exceptionally in fact) but he has had such a lot of luck, Hamilton and Mclaren are clearly the fastest package but that’s two non-scores for Lewis in the last 4 races, everytime he takes a step forward he gets put two back. Vettel is now second but I don’t think Red Bull have the fastest car, which is what they need to overhaul Alonso.

19. andae23 (@andae23) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:23

6/10 I felt that all position changes were done during the first safety car period. The top 6 on the grid finished the way they started with Hamilton and Maldonado missing. I enjoyed some battles, especially Massa somehow getting past Senna (I was jumping up and down of excitement at that moment!). Kobayashi, Hulkenberg, Perez was a bit scruffy, just like Schumacher outbraking himself. All in all: it lacked excitement.

20. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 23rd September 2012, 15:30

5 for me. A couple of exciting moments, but nothing special besides that. Was so incredibly average I don’t really have much else to say.

1 2 3 4