Rate the race: 2012 Japanese Grand Prix

2012 Japanese Grand Prix

Kamui Kobayashi, Sauber, Suzuka, 2012What did you think of the Japanese Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Japanese Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (3%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (3%)
  • 4 (6%)
  • 5 (11%)
  • 6 (23%)
  • 7 (28%)
  • 8 (14%)
  • 9 (6%)
  • 10 (5%)

Total Voters: 541

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

Image ?é?® Sauber F1 Team

201 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Japanese Grand Prix

1. Very happy for Kamui. Button closing in on the final laps prevented my eyelids from shutting down on me.
    Massa drove above his usual average but was not overly impressed by the way he gained his 2nd place. I would have jumped up and down for him if it was on the track and not in the pit lane.

2. You can pretty well gauge how exciting the race was by the length of the shots in the ‘race in 60 seconds’ feature.

3. 6. It was quite boring, but the Japanese crowd going mad was awesome.

4. Rated it 5 from the prospect that it had a lot of room for improvement but still could have been worse. Checo’s pass on Lewis was the only impressive piece of racing I noticed.

• Were you not impressed with Hamilton and Raikkonen’s dicing through turn 1? If they were lesser drivers, those moves wouldn’t have stuck.

5. Estesark (@estesark) said on 7th October 2012, 9:21

6/10. The start was dramatic and exciting, but after that, nothing really happened. I noticed at one point, towards the end of the race, that the TV director had chosen to focus on the battle between Bruno Senna and Romain Grosjean for two or three laps. They were fighting over something like 14th place at the time. There just wasn’t much action at the “business end” of the field, and that stops me from being able to rate the race particularly highly.

Well done to all three podium finishers though, they were great. I’m going to have a hard time choosing one of them for driver of the weekend.

6. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 7th October 2012, 9:22

Boring?
    – Vettel grand chelem but not too much focus on him during race
    – the crowd going wild for Kamui
    – the Hamilton-Perez’ battle, especially in light of next years line ups (is Luca right in the end?)
    – Räikkönen-Hamilton pits exit battle
    – Button closing in on Kamui
    – Schumi fight back
    – Caterham, Ricciardo, Webber… etc etc
    9/10 for me!

7. Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 7th October 2012, 9:25

6/10
    Driver of the day: Kobayashi
    Dummy of the day: Perez

• Dummy of the day: Perez

I find it hilarious how people jump on demolishing Perez after signing with McLaren, in the light of a good weekend by his team mate. He took himself out, and people are treating him more harsh than they are treating Grosjean who took someone out for the n-th time this year.

Give the guy a break. He’s only had a couple of fair rookie mistakes in his career so far, considerably less than other drivers of his generation (Grosjean, Maldonado, Senna, Kobayashi and the lot).

The fact that he spun out in a moment where he got caught off guard, coincidentaly in the same race where his team mate managed a long overdue podium doesn’t make him a bad driver, a stupid one, less deserving of that McLaren seat, a driver with less potential on and off track than Kamui or any other of that nonsense.

Kamui is a good guy and he deserves to keep his seat at Sauber but saying he’s a better driver than Perez is just unfounded.

• Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 7th October 2012, 10:36

Get used to it. Now that Perez has signed for a Front running team, the pressure is going to increase tenfold and whilst stupid mistakes like the one today might be tolerated at sauber, I can guarantee that McLaren won’t be so accepting or sympathetic.

• I can guarantee that McLaren won’t be so accepting or sympathetic.

Except they put up with Hamilton’s disastrous 2011 season and his heap of shenanigans for how many years? Let’s face it, everyone knows Perez will do just fine at McLaren and everyone knows he’s already done enough for Sauber this season but it’s more fun to bash him senseless online for his (fair) mistake.

• Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 7th October 2012, 11:18

The difference is Hamilton is a proven WDC, Perez isn’t. ;-)

• And he still gets involved in less incidents / has less self-inflicted DNFs than Lewis. And I still don’t see the logic behind treating Perez’s mistake today as such a shameful / inacceptable thing.

• Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 7th October 2012, 11:34

Let’s face it, everyone knows Perez will do just fine at McLaren

I don’t think being “Just fine” is good enough for a team of McLaren’s stature and success. They’re looking for a driver to fill the massive gaping hole left by Hamilton, and if Perez can’t handle the increased pressure and expectation that will inevitably land at his feet, he won’t last very long.

I genuinely believe that he made the mistake today because he felt as though he had to prove that McLaren were right to sign him. I don’t think it was a complete coincidence that he span out trying to overtake Hamilton.

• Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 7th October 2012, 11:43

You should interpret my posts as back handed compliments aimed squarely at Perez’s left cheek. I’m criticising him because he IS a talented driver and thus, shouldn’t be making stupid/hilarious mistakes.

• I don’t think it was a complete coincidence that he span out trying to overtake Hamilton.

On this, we agree. There was definitely added pressure there. It was visible when he first passed Hamilton, locking up, forcing the Sauber through a small gap, etc. He clearly wanted to beat Lewis fair and square on the track in an inferior car and he tried too hard but, I can’t blame him for it.

Plus, as I said in a previous comment somewhere. Lewis is by far one of the hardest adversaries one could stumble upon on the track. He closed the inside line for Perez there, knowing he will try to force a pass through. Lewis kept it mid-track and Perez just got caught off guard there and chose the outside line in order to avoid hitting Lewis. He then realised there’s a gap and tried to force the overtake when he lost the rear end of that Sauber. If it was Maldonado or Grosjean in that situation, they would have ended nose up in Hamilton’s rear wing. :)

• Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 7th October 2012, 12:29

I agree with this point 100%.
            Don’t get me wrong, I believe that Perez is (potentially) a future WDC and ambassador for the sport. However, if he allows the pressure to get to him and stifle his game, he’ll end up following Kovalainen’s footsteps rather than Alonso’s.

• Traverse Mark Senior (@) said on 7th October 2012, 12:30

I agree with this point 100%.

8. leotef (@leotef) said on 7th October 2012, 9:35

Just wondering. Is this the sign of the return of the greatest driver of the world in Red Bull? Or better paraphrase, the return of the greatest car of the world? In Singapore, it seemed Red Bull had better pace over McLaren and at Suzuka, it becomes obvious that the gap is increasing… Or is Bernie pulling strings here too?

9. tmekt (@tmekt) said on 7th October 2012, 9:35

Gave it a 9.

Kobayashi is most likely going to win the DOTW contest and Vettel fans will be complaining about that.

• peter548 said on 7th October 2012, 10:45

They probably won’t care.. they stopped believing that the DOTW voting had any objective meaning a long time ago..

• Rok Dominko said on 7th October 2012, 13:21

True… DOTW voting is totaly biased and as such not worth spending time on :)

I dont want to say this is bad in any case (after all, every one of us has a favourite driver and are as such biased), just saying that to those of us, who like Vettel, DOTW voting has become one aspect of F1Fanatic blog, not worth spending time on :) For example SPA: Vettel had a superb comeback, Button was leading the entire race: DOTW Button. Today (and last time around for that matter) I guarentee you Vettel is not going to get DOTW.

• Anonymouse said on 7th October 2012, 11:04

@tmekt – thanks for the laughs. Vettel winning WDC takes precedence over DOTW :P
      PS : Check last race’s DOTW result to see how it works

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 7th October 2012, 13:31

I’d be interested to know if Peter548 and Rok Dominko do vote in Driver of the Weekend, as their comments above indicate they are not registered users and therefore aren’t voting, which leads me to wonder why they are complaining about the outcome of a vote they aren’t even participating in?

At any rate I don’t agree Vettel’s effort are not appreciated. Here’s one reason why:

Sebastian Vettel voted F1 Fanatic Driver of the Year

• I am commenting on driver of the weekend. Not driver of the year. I guess it would be a little too much if after a year he had last year, he wouldn’t be voted driver of the year, even for F1Fatatic blog ;)

But if you look at DOTWs last year, Vettel got only one win, despite the fact that he won 11 races (I might be mistaken by this, so don’t take my word for it).

Lastly, I do not see the logic that I have to vote for DOTW before expressing my opinion (that may be biased as well) about it. It is just somethink I think to be true.

But non the less your comment made me go and make a account so I can vote this time around :)

• F1fanNL (@) said on 7th October 2012, 23:42

I’m a registered user and I no longer vote for the DOTW poll.

There have been plenty of cases of Vettel simply not winning DOTW because he’s Vettel. Denying it is pretty much ridiculous as it’s so obvious.
        Bahrein this year? Raikkonen. Hungary this year? Hamilton. Vettel held off Raikkonen but didn’t get DOTW. Hamilton held off Raikkonen and did get DOTW.
        Valencia this year? Alonso. Singapore this year? Hamilton. Vettel retires halfway down the race after absolutely dominating the weekend, Alonso gets DOTW. Hamilton retires (not even) halfway down the race while he wasn’t even dominating but still gets DOTW.

The DOTW poll is a joke.

10. Allan Kobanawa (@allanlol86) said on 7th October 2012, 9:36

Gave it a 10 to see the Japanese and Brazilian flag on the podium.. Was so nervous when Button was closing on Kobayashi!

11. Dimitris 1395 (@dimitris-1395) said on 7th October 2012, 9:38

For a Suzuka race, apart from the start chaos, it was a boring race. Vettel vanished ahead, Massa did the same after the 1st pit-stop and the much expecting battle between Koba and Button never happened. Some minor battles of the Perez-Hamilton-Raikkonen triangle were good but that’s all.

12. Zero said on 7th October 2012, 9:57

7/10.

Happy for Massa and Bashi as they’re both deserving and nice guys. Abit of justice seeing Alonso crash out after his comments about hoping the other drivers will DNF.

Great salvage of points from Hamilton, rising from 9th to 5th with a shoddy setup. Also good to see Mclaren not issue team orders, the way it should be.

13. KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 7th October 2012, 10:06

Solid 7/10. It was uneventful yet suspenseful, if that makes any sense. Sure, Vettel cruised, but behind him the positions could’ve been anything, and most of the battles kept me on the edge of my seat. Also there were some great performances that were really nice to watch.

The biggest problem was of course following another car. As soon as you got within a second, there was the old problem of dirty air. If you didn’t have large enough speed advantage (i.e. Senna on fresh set of soft tires against bit older hards) your own performance would drop off in a few laps, so the “attack window” was rather small.

Not a classic, but a good race nevertheless. Hopefully Korea is a bit better.

• Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 7th October 2012, 21:30

Yes, the dirty air seems worse than ever. Webber and Grosjean, coming up through the field, had to back right off as they followed a much slower Caterham through the S curves in the first sector.

I wish they’d do something radical with the front wings and aero – like the original plan for 2014, or the Delta Wing with its underbody downforce and no wings. Or at least give us a low, wide rear wing again. The tall, spindly ones still look wrong to me, and don’t seem to work at all.

14. wilky (@wilky) said on 7th October 2012, 10:36

pretty boring due to the track, shame for perez, webber and alonso, also a shame we didnt get to see vettel start from 5th where he should have!

15. glenj (@glenj) said on 7th October 2012, 10:56

Pile of dung. 6/10 Can only see one outcome in championship now unless kimi or alonso get some much needed downforce for these last races.