Rate the race: 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Yas Marina, 2012What did you think of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (1%)
  • 6 (1%)
  • 7 (4%)
  • 8 (21%)
  • 9 (35%)
  • 10 (36%)

Total Voters: 787

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images

321 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

1. silverfan (@somerfield1561) said on 4th November 2012, 21:00

Normally I spend this race oohing and aahing at the beautiful facilities, the marina, the boats, the lights, the hotel, the pretty colours on the track lol . . . . this afternoon I don’t remember seeing any of these things, it was such an exciting race, great drive from Seb with luck on his side, I gave the race a 9.

2. Martin (@aardvark) said on 4th November 2012, 21:05

8/10. Very exciting, but
    -1 No dice for the lead by WDC contenders
    -1 Alonso let Kimi get away at the restart
    -1 Webber goes off track then makes Massa spin, no penalty
    +1 Kimi’s radio messages

3. glenj (@glenj) said on 4th November 2012, 21:29

Great race. 9/10 Glad to see Kimi win a race & loved his radio messages. He’s a real character, the sport could be doing with more like him. I remember him yellling at his race engineer at Ferrari over the radio ‘don’t talk to me when i’m in the corners!’ Classic

4. sato113 (@sato113) said on 4th November 2012, 22:14

WOW. an 8 for me. great race. really shows what makes an F1 race exciting these days (without various tyre strategies)- LOTS of crashes. Retirements. Overtaking. Memorable Radio transmissions. Battles near the front. Close finish. Championship TENSION.

5. Win7Golf (@win7golf) said on 4th November 2012, 22:38

9 for the race… it was TOO BAD that Hamilton has to have AGAIN a fistfull of bad luck, for the race to be rated good… Maybe if he DNF and won.. it won by a boring race… Some guys have all the luck… other none… Happy for Kimmi and Lotus – it was time for the first one!

6. DelendaEstAmbulando said on 5th November 2012, 0:31

Just 5.Exciting race full of incidents, but precious little real, solid racing: Sebastián vs. Jenson near the end, Fernando’s first lap, and that’s about it. A gallimaufry of poor, amateurish driving (including Seb’s two collisions) . And we were denied of a furious scrap for the lead: Kimi needed the win, and Fernando the points. But the race finished a couple of laps too early.
    I don’t quite understand how could Kimi pull away from Fernando so easily after the last SC, when a few laps later Fernando was steadily gaining on him. Possibilities:
    -Kimi’s tyres were going off by then (unlikely, everybody else’s seemed all right) or maybe Kimi felt he already had enough of an advantage and relaxed a bit.
    -Fernando’s tyres were too cold after the SC (but it took several laps until they recovered- seems way too long)
    -maybe Fernando was deliberately holding back so that Jenson could use DRS to defend from Sebastian? I know it sounds quite contrived but an intriguing radio message did point in that direction (we heard Stella’s answer but not Fernando’s question). If it was so, Fernando must be regretting it now: Sebastian finally overtook Button anyway, and Fernando squandered his chance to overtake Kimi and win the race.
    Maybe Fernando was too clever for his own good, but I guess we’ll never know. But if anybody has a better explanation about the sudden reverse of the relative speeds of Fernando and Kimi in the last few laps, I’d love to hear it.

7. Scalextric (@scalextric) said on 5th November 2012, 0:40

Lots of action. But too much of the action was a result of poor driving or poor reliability. 8

8. F1_Americana (@f1americana) said on 5th November 2012, 1:36

Wow. I rated a 9.

There’s a lot of vitriol coming from a lot of other sites regarding Fernando Alonso, but I’m glad this F1 site has much cooler customers.

In a lot of ways, this race in my opinion didn’t prove anything about Vettel’s ability to race. If anything, it showed me just how dominant his car really is. He made more than a couple of mistakes from his charge from the back of the field, but still wound up on the podium due to a little luck and the massive speed of his RBR (and his fantastic engineers’ ability to tweak the car once out of out of parc ferme).

No disrespect to him, but to those who said this race proved he really can race, I submit that Vettel has already done that in past races. This race, for me, really showed what a great car he has, and the team’s and his ability to fight back. I have massive respect for Vettel, and he did a great job today. But in my opinion, and to borrow a quote from another poster on this site, Alonso is this year’s “People’s Champion”. I honestly believe Red Bull and McLaren still have the faster machines. This race showed me that the Ferrari is just a cut above the Lotus, in the right hands.

Great race for Kimi. I’m not as much as fan as I was before he shoved that track marshal way back in his McLaren days, but seeing him win was good for the sport and his supporters.

9. Joey-Poey (@joey-poey) said on 5th November 2012, 1:42

I know I’m going to be in the extreme minority here, but the lack of respect between drivers ruined the race for me. I want to see hard driving, but I want to see fair driving. This looked more like amateur hour than the best in the world. I gave it a 3.

• F1_Americana (@f1americana) said on 5th November 2012, 1:48

I agree. Even some I hold in high regard as racers seemed to make contact; generally when they seemingly didn’t have much respect for the guy they were overtaking (or being overtaken by).

• McLar3n said on 5th November 2012, 13:48

Well pointed out. Half the guys were driving like absolute cowboys. I mean just look at Vettel’s overtake on Button – you couldn’t place a finger between their tyres (it took me a while to realize that I was in fact holding my breath), yet they both came out clean, positions exchanged. Champion stuff. Massa and Webber at the same corner – noobs. Perez, Grosjean and Webber at the next corner – well the less said the better. Rosberg and Karthikeyan – well I don’t really understand what on earth either driver was thinking, so I’ll leave it alone.
      Drivers nowadays seriously lack respect for one another. And I think the astronomical safety of these vehicles has given them a sense of immortality, freedom to toss their car into a gap smaller than their talent. I’m not saying that these guys should face physical injury – but a few black flags could certainly do the trick. This is the highest class of motorsport, and these guys seriously need to tidy up.

10. Hairs (@hairs) said on 5th November 2012, 2:03

So the question is, do I recant my COTD rant from Friday?

Hmmmmmmmm

11. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 5th November 2012, 3:23

As David Croft said,
    “If that race didn’t make you happy, then nothing will.”

9/10.
    If only Vettel hadn’t had so much luck.
    Alonso could have been 1st in the WDC going into Austin, and Lewis should have (shoulda’, coulda’, woulda’) won that race, just reliability issues for the Mclaren, so unfortunate.

12. Mallesh Magdum (@malleshmagdum) said on 5th November 2012, 4:12

someone has rated a 1 for the race!

13. lucho19 (@lucho19) said on 5th November 2012, 6:42

Very intense race. The 2 safety cars messed-up (or *****-up as VET said) the real race, but that is racing.
    Kimmi was impressive, ALO was excellent as well but I would like to see BUT at 3rd instead of VET. so the point differential could be less….
    Cross my fingers to have a close last two races in Austin and Interlagos !

14. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 5th November 2012, 7:42

It was pretty much everything you wanted a Grand Prix to be – plenty of action, high drama, some great performances and that constant feeling that race was far from over, even as the cars entered the final corner. It probably won’t change opinions about the circuit in Abu Dhabi, but I think that even the strongest detractors of the event would be hard-pressed to criticise this particular race too much.

However, there were two a few niggles that meant I couldn’t give it a perect score: firstly, Hamilton’s retirement. The Raikkonen-Alonso-Button-Vettel fight at the end was great, but with Hamilton in the mix it would have been even better, and probably would make the final race for the championship better still. Two, Red Bull deliberately calling Webber in early to get Vettel out of his way. As great as his race was, I think it’s really overshadowed by the way there are three other cars out there that will always move aside from him, sometimes against their will. And finally, Raikkonen’s attitude on the radio irritated me. I know he can be short and blunt at times, but he just came across as being rude when he cut Mark Slade off. As Martin Brundle rightly pointed out, the team was telling him to watch the tyres because the tyres weren’t all in perfect condition for racing to resume.

15. Malivis (@malivis) said on 5th November 2012, 7:56

My two cents on the issue?

I’m not a Vettel fanboy by any means but I think this was a very good drive. Why? Because of his pace relative to Webber. He managed to keep up a VERY strong pace while coming through the field. He caught the back of Webber at a point where they both had one more stop to complete (and then pulled away when let through). His performace was good insofar as he was pushing for the whole race and as a result beat Webber in the sister RBR.

All of this with the pressure of the WDC on his back. He was obviously flustered behind that first SC when he yelled to the Pit Wall, but it never really showed in his driving. He made one or two admittedly risky passes, but took his time with Button and executed it flawlessly. Great race.