Rate the race: 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Yas Marina, 2012What did you think of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (1%)
  • 6 (1%)
  • 7 (4%)
  • 8 (21%)
  • 9 (35%)
  • 10 (36%)

Total Voters: 787

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

321 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

1 6 7 8
  1. ajokay (@ajokay) said on 5th November 2012, 8:45

6/10. The second half got better, but the first half was dire and really bought the score down for me.

2. Stagger (@stagger) said on 5th November 2012, 8:54

Solid 10 for me!
    I enjoyed this race so much
    Hamilton driving a ’05 McLaren, Vettel full attack on a ’04 Ferrari with all the luck from Micheal’s 1st part career and Raikonnen doing his “James Hunt” on Radio and podium!

3. spankythewondermonkey (@spankythewondermonkey) said on 5th November 2012, 8:58

10. superb race, made all the better by kimi’s win and classic radio messages – “just leave me alone. i know what i’m doing” & the “yes yes yes yes. i’m doing it all the time. you don’t have to remind me every second”. no doubt there were a few others that weren’t broadcast-able ;)
    add in his podium “not much really” & “you guys gave me ???? for not smiling” absolute star!!!

4. taurus (@taurus) said on 5th November 2012, 9:14

8/10. Plenty of excitement and great stuff from Kimi. A great Grand Prix.

5. smifaye (@smifaye) said on 5th November 2012, 9:44

I gave this race a 9. The only reason I didn’t give it a 10 was because the lead was inherited through car failure.

This race had everything and was so exciting to see what Vettel could do. Yes there was some luck in that but I think he well and truly made his critics quiet with the “he can’t overtake” line.

Shame that Alonso couldn’t make more of Vettel’s qualifying problems though.

6. scribbler (@scribbler) said on 5th November 2012, 10:34

8/10 very entertaining. So im loving the fact seb its starting in the pit lane then he gets the contact from senna for being way to ambitious and im thinking yes that will slow him down. Then during SC period he seams to think other drivers should realise hes warming his tyres up and get out the way so nearly plows into the back of ricciardo and a clumsy manouver sees him destroy the rest of his wing on a marker board now im thinking surely he has to pit and ruin his race. After all this the dude still finishes 3rd? come on Karma why you take hamilton out the race and give vettel an easy time? No this doesn’t silence the critics and button made it way to easy for him. good race though shame the circuit is still pap. Bring on USA!

7. Dan_the_McLaren_fan (@dan_the_mclaren_fan) said on 5th November 2012, 11:03

I rated the race 8/10.

The race war really interesting, with plenty of surprises, but I cannot rated it higher than that. It’s a pity that Raikkonen got his win because of Hamilton’s retirement and Vettel’s penalty. It’s also a shame we have seen so many incidents and too much cars which made contact. I think it’s because the track doesn’t leave a lot of space because it has only one racing line (despite being really wide). And having youngsters trained in GP2 doesn’t improve things : we have seen contacts from Maldonado, Perez, Grosjean and Senna : drivers graduated from GP2.
    But anyway, we have also seen many nice things, like the supreme drive from Vettel, and also some nice overtakings (when done without contact)

8. MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 5th November 2012, 12:39

10/10 for me. This race had pretty much everything; close wheel to wheel racing, spectacular crashes, a brilliant recovery drive from the back of the grid (which I think will be looked back upon as the moment that Vettel effectively won himself the championship in 2012), heartbreak in the form of Hamilton walking dejectedly away from yet another broken car, nailbiting tension as the leader was being reeled in by Alonso, plenty of Kimi-isms both on the track and the podium, and best of all, DC looking like he was about to lay a Crazy Dave smackdown on Vettel for pouring fizzy rosewater over his head.

Literally brilliant.

Only thing which I did think could have been better was the direction of the coverage. During the opening few laps, Vettel managed to make his way up to 14th, and we saw pretty much none of it. All because of this unnecessary trend of showing us 50,000 replays of the start. I really don’t understand why they do this while there’s racing going on on-track, especially when we know we’ll get to see a bazillion replays of the start in the post-race analysis. At most, I think it’s something they could play as filler when the safety car is out, but to deny us the spectacle of Vettel cutting through the field in favour of showing us people driving away from the grid for half an hour is just unforgivable.

But that doesn’t take away from the fact this was one of the most exciting races I’ve ever seen.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 5th November 2012, 12:47

@mazdachris

As far as I could tell none of the onboard feeds were showing the race from Vettel’s view at the start. In the opening laps there seemed to be one just showing Hamilton’s perspective, which was fine though not half as interesting as being able to keep an eye on Vettel’s progress.

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 5th November 2012, 13:02

Admittedly, I didn’t get to see the onboard feeds or the driver tracker because I watched the race on Sky+ in the evening (I was out looking at kittens..) but I do struggle to understand why we didn’t see any of it. We didn’t see him leaving the pits, we didn’t see him making his way through the pack, we didn’t really see anything. Considering his drive through the pack was THE story of the race during the buildup, you’d have thought that his car would have a camera jammed into every orifice and we’d be able to enjoy his overtaking from every angle in high definition digital crikey-vision.

Instead all we got to see was Webber failing to operate his clutch properly for the 95th time this season.

9. PJA (@pja) said on 6th November 2012, 18:34

I gave the race an 8, but I was surprised that the most popular ratings at the moment are a 10 (36%) and 9 (34%).

I was disappointed that Hamilton lost out on what seemed a certain victory due to another reliability problem, but I was glad that Raikkonen got the win.

Early on I thought it would be another dull race the only difference to recent races being that it would be Hamilton dominating and taking a commanding win rather than Vettel.

However as the race went on and we had various coming togethers, safety cars, Vettel charging through the field to get a podium and then Raikkonen holding on to win when it looked like Alonso may chase him down, so my personal rating steadily went up as the race went on.

What stopped me from giving it a higher rating was a real battle for the lead, and for most of the overtakes didn’t really excite me as they were too one sided.

As for the championship I think only a no score for Vettel or Ferrari somehow having the fastest car for the final races will stop Vettel making it three in a row.

10. Definitely 10.