Rate the race: 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix

2012 Brazilian Grand Prix

Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, Interlagos, 2012What did you think of the Brazilian Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (0%)
  • 6 (0%)
  • 7 (2%)
  • 8 (8%)
  • 9 (25%)
  • 10 (64%)

Total Voters: 835

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2012 Brazilian Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Sahara Force India F1 Team

240 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix

1. 23kennyboy23 said on 25th November 2012, 18:31

Button beats Hamilton on points over their 3 seasons together.

• 23kennyboy23 said on 25th November 2012, 18:52

Also, classic race. 10/10. Great drive from Massa, stunning from Vettel. Broken car, extra and slow pit stops and a ton of pressure, but pulled it off without help from his teammate. I’ve never been a fan but I now rate him on the same level as Alonso and Hamilton.

• thank you SO much for pointing that out! Jenson’s the new rain master, brilliant drive.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 25th November 2012, 22:07

Eurgh, I had a feeling that would be the case. I like Button, but that is definitely not a fair representation of their time as team mates.

• Phil1008 said on 25th November 2012, 22:34

I think this does not do any justice to how good Hamilton has been over button, this year in particular. At least 4 wins worth of points lost (he was leading here) and hence finishing only 2 points over button who has been out qualified 17-3 and outraced most of the time.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 26th November 2012, 14:34

But it might just be how good HAM could have been with this McLaren (and team mate?), hence him leaving.

It is what it is, just as the WDC winner deserved it even if someone else might have been deserving too.

2. PaulK (@paulk) said on 25th November 2012, 18:33

I don’t think I have ever being this nervous all my life. 2008 was nerve wracking, but only for 10 laps or so, this one was from start to flag. I’m still shaking and the race finished 40 minutes ago… Oh mama.

3. Bob (@bobthevulcan) said on 25th November 2012, 18:40

What else can I say? Ask any Formula One fan for his definition of a great race, and he’d probably say – battles for track position, from the lead down to the midfield, an abundance of wheel to wheel racing, drivers dancing in the rain, a healthy dose of unpredictability, and no shortage of heart stopping moments, from lights out to checkered flag.

I’d say this race delivered all the components of this golden formula, and it did so in excess. There was so much tension coming into the race, the sporadic rain only adding to the sheer madness that we saw in the opening laps. We had plenty of moments to remember – the dueling McLarens, Vettel charging back up from P22 to P6, drivers slithering in the damp, Hulkenberg having his moment in the limelight, and who could forget Raikkonen and his hilarious rally excursion. An indisputable 10/10.

On another note, I foresee many disgruntled fans voting a 1/10 because of Alonso’s championship defeat. Do remember:

• tmekt (@tmekt) said on 25th November 2012, 21:06

” Please vote based on how entertaining and exciting you thought the race was, not on how your preferred driver or team performed.”

To all people complaining about this request being obeyed: the latter part of the sentence does not exclude the first. You must vote based on your personal opinion about the race. On some people this opinion is definitely affected by the performance(s) of their favorite driver(s).

Now, if they didn’t vote honestly based on this opinion they would be in fact voting against Keith’s request.

• tmekt (@tmekt) said on 25th November 2012, 21:17

*not being obeyed

• David (@neiana) said on 26th November 2012, 4:01

Yeah it’s unfortunate. But it shows that there is a hefty weighting system of +Alonso +Hamilton -Vettel and concurrent performances for Rate the Race and Driver of the week.

To be fair, I’m 99% certain there was equal hate for Alonso when he was winning WDCs back to back and there would’ve been the same for Hamilton had he won a second and third as well. It’s just that there’s more hate for the top dog. :)

4. the_sigman (@sigman1998) said on 25th November 2012, 18:48

Τhis was thrilling. Drama until the end.

5. 10. I don’t care who won or how the championship turned out, that was a fantastic race. (OK, I do care, an awful lot, but I’m still giving it a 10)

6. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 25th November 2012, 18:54

Was there any question about this? An easy 10, and I regret giving out that score earlier this season.

The race had everything: drama, controversy, fantastic racing, amazing drives, humorous moments and a great result at the end of it. Races like this come very rarely, and will be remembered as absolute classics for decades to come. In short, the best race in years.

7. Oh, and the Caterham thing…

8. I was really hoping for a Hulkenberg win, he was driving brilliantly until he lost his car and took Hamilton out in the process. I thought the penalty was harsh, for what was a racing incident. Also gutted for Hamilton, he deserved a better finish in his last race with McLaren.

Still, what an insane race, it had anything a championship finale should have, and much more. The past races have been spectacular, I never expected this to top those. 10/10, congratulations Vettel.

9. Matty No 2 (@mattynotwo) said on 25th November 2012, 19:03

8 from me. Hulk did’nt deserve a penalty and very, very dissapointing finish under yellow. F1 really needs to look at bringing in GWC like NASCAR.

• It was slightly disappointing to see it finish under a safety car but actually I think it was a great way for all the drivers to finish, all in formation. This may be the last time for a long time that we will see 12 teams together on the grid – so it was fitting in a way that there was a slow train of cars across the finish line.

• caci99 (@caci99) said on 25th November 2012, 19:54

Same thought here. I gave it an 8 because, hmm … I was hoping for a different champion (guilty :)).

• JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 25th November 2012, 20:09

The fact that it finisehd ‘behind the safety car’ (not quite, since the safety car has to peel off before the chequered flag) wasn’t a big deal, since it was only one lap to go and I think events had reached equilibrium by that point anyway. It was a shame but it didn’t take away from the racing any more than if the race had happened to be one lap shorter.

Hulk didn’t deserve a penalty (the crash was his fault but I don’t think he did anything deserving of a penalty). Overall Hulk had bad luck, given that he should have been fighting it out with Button for the win had the first safety car not been brought out – I imagine they would have lapped the vast majority of the field with the lead they had.

• tmekt (@tmekt) said on 25th November 2012, 21:20

Usually causing an avoidable collision awards you a penalty which is deserved

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 25th November 2012, 21:40

@tmekt given the track condition, they could’ve let him go. There’s a difference between racing incident and avoidable collision.

Perez at Abu Dhabi? Avoidable collision (returned to the track recklessly)
          Hulkenberg at Interlagos? racing incident… it was just unfortunate that it ended like that.

• tmekt (@tmekt) said on 25th November 2012, 21:49

Yeah well I don’t have the same data as stewards so I can’t really comment on this precise case (I said “usually”)

You’re right obviously: it might very well be that HĂĽlkenberg couldn’t have avoided the crash. I do find it likely that if this was the case he wouldn’t have been penalised.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 25th November 2012, 21:38

F1 really needs to look at bringing in GWC like NASCAR.

You’re right, @mattynotwo . It’d be very good if F1 could find a way to avoid races finishing behind the Safety Car…

10. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 25th November 2012, 19:07

Keith, can I adjust my votes for the last three years?
    (10/10)

11. Is there an 11?! Unbelievable race, not a boring moment! Couldn’t have asked for a better way to conclude what has been an epic season!

12. Ben (@benchuiii) said on 25th November 2012, 19:12

10/10. First of all congrats to Vettel, making up 15 places in 20 laps after pointing the wrong way is truly remarkable. After watching F1 for 12 years this is probably the first time I’ve been left so confused in the middle of the race. What a fantastic way to end the season with so much drama from start to end. Bring on 2013!

13. taurus (@taurus) said on 25th November 2012, 19:13

FOM’s TV director needs to be fired, atrocious today

14. Ryan Williams (@ryanwilliams) said on 25th November 2012, 19:17

Best race of the year, hands down. Suspense from start to finish,battles up and down the field and a worthy champion at the end.

P.S. I’m a Ferrari fan!