Rate the race: 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix

2012 Brazilian Grand Prix

Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, Interlagos, 2012What did you think of the Brazilian Grand Prix? Share your verdict on today’s race.

Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (1%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (0%)
  • 4 (0%)
  • 5 (0%)
  • 6 (0%)
  • 7 (2%)
  • 8 (8%)
  • 9 (25%)
  • 10 (64%)

Total Voters: 835

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2012 Brazilian Grand Prix

Browse all 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Sahara Force India F1 Team

240 comments on Rate the race: 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix

1. Maciek (@maciek) said on 25th November 2012, 21:08

What a great end to the season.

2. Gabriel (@naylamp) said on 25th November 2012, 21:13

I’m going to create another account to rate the race higher than 10. EPIC!!! My heart was jumping all over my chest during the first laps.

3. Zagal (@zagal) said on 25th November 2012, 21:13

10/10
    We will be remembering this for years and Im sure that this race has made a lot of new F1 fans.
    Epic

4. I’m not sure why it isn’t an option, but…

This one goes to 11.

5. pjrwallis (@pjrwallis) said on 25th November 2012, 21:34

9/10. Brilliantly exciting, entertaining and most memorable … but I can’t bring myself to give a 10 for a race that ended behind the safety car.

6. Hydro (@hydrouk) said on 25th November 2012, 21:39

I’m surprised to see so many people saying the penalty for Hulkenburg was unfair or harsh. It was straightforward and fair in my opinion, he caused an avoidable collision, and the penalty for that is a drive through.

7. matt90 (@matt90) said on 25th November 2012, 22:03

Gutted that Hamilton didn’t win his final race McLaren (or more importantly, being taken out in such a manner), and also that Alonso didn’t win the title.

But it was undoubtedly a 10. The first 10 laps had an entire grand prix worth of narrative and excitement alone. The only slight disappointment was the final 10 laps being a bit too depressing due to the near-certain, looming outcome, but overall it was so good that it couldn’t possibly detract much.

8. Nimba (@nimba) said on 25th November 2012, 22:15

My First 10/10 to any race this season. Just because I am now not in talking terms with most of my family coz I never left the TV screens once, because I was not able to.

9. ManjuBoy (@manjuboy) said on 25th November 2012, 22:19

I couldn’t even watch it because my satellite hasn’t worked in two weeks, but the F1 Fanatic race feed had me on the edge of seat. From what I was following it seemed like possibly the best race in years!

I couldn’t watch Austin the previous week either, but at least I was at the race and got to briefly meet Kamui and Checo.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 25th November 2012, 23:08

Really sorry you weren’t able to watch such a classic race – hope I managed to transmit some of the fever to you. It was a cracker.

• ManjuBoy (@manjuboy) said on 26th November 2012, 0:00

Keith, you absolutely did! The live feed was great. I’m afraid if I was able to watch it, my brain would have jumped out of my head.

As always, you produce the best F1 site on the internet. Looking forward to next season when I’ll have upgraded my system at home. I’ll be following you during the silly season to get the news and signings before March. I’m also glad that NBC here in the States has nabbed most of the Speed broadcasting team for the 2013 season. It seems they’re taking F1 seriously. Let’s hope!

No more Schumi, and sadly possibly no Kobayashi either next year, but at least we have F1 Fanatic and a solid broadcasting team for the US market. Thanks for your had work and dedication to F1, Keith!

10. A couple of random thoughts:-

1. It had been said in the lead up to the race that, if Caterham could regain 10th place and win the prize money which goes with it, they might be able to retain Heikki rather then replace him with a pay driver. My question is, given his apparently dis-spirited performance in the last 6 or 7 races, will they actually want to keep him?

2. The commentators on Channel 10 (Australia) made an interesting point about Kimi’s off course venture. Had he bothered to do the track walk on Thursday, he probably would have known that the gate was closed. I like Kimi a lot, but perhaps he’s taking the laid back thing just a bit far?

• Kimi4WDC said on 25th November 2012, 23:26

Doubt any driver would have looked out for that, or even bother with that road, Kimi just happen to have a similar incident back in 2001.

His drive this season should be a studied by all rookies before they start racing in F1. The way he avoids the incidents (pre-emptively and reacting) together with his close wheel to wheel action is exceptional.

There are plenty “wannabe” perfect drivers on the grid, we need Kimi to be Kimi!!!

• Geoff332 (@geoff332) said on 26th November 2012, 10:12

It looked rather like Raikkonen overshot the corner and went onto the access road rather than run over the grass. He then drove down the access road expecting to rejoin the track proper – until he realised it wasn’t going to rejoin the track. I’m not sure how a track walk would have helped him to remember every access road on the track.

11. Phillip Jones (@phil18wales) said on 25th November 2012, 22:28

I never thought I would rate a race 10/10, but this race was incredible and fully deserves a 10. It’s the best race I have ever seen since I started watching F1 in 2007 thanks to Hamilton

12. they might be able to retain Heikki rather than replace him with a pay driver

13. looseasagoose (@looseasagoose) said on 25th November 2012, 23:03

Easily a 10/10 for mine. Would have been a great race anyway, but throw in the changing championship implications throughout the race, and it becomes one of the best races of all time. And just imagine if Murray Walker was commentating this one ;)

14. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 25th November 2012, 23:03

Looking back at my previous comment on an earlier article, I realise that if I don’t give this race a 10, then I’m obviously missing something big… A race truly deserving of being the finale to an incredible season…

15. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 25th November 2012, 23:05

0/10

Bitterly disappointed with the result. Sebastian Vettel did not deserve to be World Champion.

• This comment is sad on several levels.

• Palle (@palle) said on 25th November 2012, 23:21

A true F1fanatic is able to appreciate a good F1 race, even if the favorite driver is perhaps taken out at the start of a race. But You have to live with the fact that one of the all times F1 most epic races, which we will be talking eagerly about and using as a reference to measure all future races against, You gave a 0/10. I feel sorry for You and I hope You get over it soon and that You will try to watch the race again and appreciate all the action and drama. I’m sure Alonso will be back as a formidable competitor again in 2013, but it will be a looong wait to first race in march.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 25th November 2012, 23:45

Actually, I would also argue that the race was bad because there was far too much going on. I spent more time looking at the timing splits at the bottom of the page, trying to figure out who was where at any given moment, than I did at the actual racing. If I need to rewind parts of the race just to figure out what is going on, then I’d say there is too much going on. It stops being “action and drama” and starts being randomness.

• Kimi4WDC said on 26th November 2012, 6:22

I have formula1.com live timing running along side.

Hulkenberg vs Hamilton vs Button was amazing. Sector by sector was intense, even more impressed by Hulkenberg now, sad it’s Perez going to McLaren and not him. I bet Lewis was going in the car: “Gee he is fast”. Too bad they collided, but hard to call, Nico saw the opportunity, maybe if Caterham was not there he would waited another lap, this was a too much of an opportunity for any driver.

• Jonny C (@loomx92) said on 26th November 2012, 9:37

I disagree. There was action but it wasn’t all random. Watched the race with the live timing same as @Kimi4WDC you could see just through each sector time the changing conditions. Lap times would often be seconds apart from previous laps and it was whoever could constantly react to the weather. That’s not random, that’s thinking on your feet, adaptability and big big balls to know it’s gonna stick and not throw you into a wall.

And with your case against Vettel, I’m not a fan and I would’ve preferred Alonso to win. But I have gained a lot more respect for him (in the cockpit at least) this year. Not a huge fan of his personality but it’s what they do on the track that matters isn’t it? Once again he had the misfortune of having the fastest car (generally) in the latter half of the season, but did exactly what was needed of him to claw back points and eventually come out on top. All his comeback drives this year were kinda lucky, but only as lucky as Alonso was for pretty much every race this season, and when he got the chance to win there was only ever going to be bad luck to take that away from him.

In my eyes, Ferrari were less deserving of 2nd place in the WCC than Vettel was of the WDC after the pile of bolts they brought to Melbourne and barely improved through the end stages of the championship.

But none of this should even come close to tarnishing what was a great race of this generation. Brazil ’08 was a fantastic championship decider, but while the tension was there this weekend it didn’t need it, this could’ve happened early in the season like Brazil ’03 and would still be remembered as a great.

You’re just lacking a bit of perspective between being a racing fan and a solo driver fan/hater. Being a Hamilton and Alonso fan I was disappointed with how the race finished, but in my preferred stance as a racing fan I was immensely proud of all of them for the race they put on, everyone was fighting tooth and nail and that’s what F1 should be, not just some petty rivalry between drivers and fans.

• Geoff332 (@geoff332) said on 26th November 2012, 10:23

Yeah – Alonso deserved it. I mean, who else could cause two drivers 20 seconds in front of him to crash so he got gifted a second place finish.

And he made Vettel and Grojean’s alternators blow up in Valencia – because the 35 points net points difference from that result wouldn’t have put Alonso out of the title race.

Or, perhaps, it wasn’t just Vettel who benefited from luck today. Or all season.

• Mustalainen (@mustalainen) said on 26th November 2012, 12:03

I think the term “butthurt” is what describes your comment the best PM

• Mark Hitchcock (@mark-hitchcock) said on 26th November 2012, 12:38

Prisoner Monkeys’ reason for commenting on this site seems to be to go against popular opinion in every single instance so this doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.