Who will win the battle of the team mates in 2014?

2014 F1 season preview

Almost every driver on the grid has a new team mate to measure himself against this year.

Which driver will come out on top at each team? Cast your vote below.

Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel vs Daniel Ricciardo

Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, Bahrain, 2014After five years alongisde Mark Webber, during which time he comfortably had the beating of his team mate, Vettel is now sharing his team with another Australian.

Ricciardo is only the second Red Bull development driver to be promoted to their ‘A’ team since Vettel himself, so this will make for a barometer of the team’s talent-spotting abilities.

But the four-times champion will surely be expected to hold the upper hand over the newcomer.

[poll id="460"]

Mercedes: Lewis Hamilton vs Nico Rosberg

Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, Bahrain, 2014One of only two unchanged driver pairings in the field this year. There wasn’t much to choose between them last year: Rosberg won two races to Hamilton’s one, though Hamilton scored more points.

Hamilton’s ultimate one-lap pace is a lot to deal with but Rosberg has the opportunity to turn the ever-increasing complexity of F1 races to his advantage.

Given Mercedes’ testing performance there could be a world championship riding on the outcome of this contest.

[poll id="461"]

Ferrari: Fernando Alonso vs Kimi Raikkonen

Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, Bahrain, 2014Ferrari’s strongest and most exciting driver line-up since Alain Prost and Nigel Mansell faced off against each other in 1990.

The dynamics of this contest are fascinating, and not just because it pits two world championships against each other at a team which has historically avoided having what its president refers to as “two roosters in the same hen house”.

Ferrari has been Alonso’s team since he arrived in 2010, but the re-hiring of the same driver he was brought in to replace sends a clear message about his position.

[poll id="462"]

Lotus: Romain Grosjean vs Pastor Maldonado

Pastor Maldonado, Lotus, Bahrain, 2014Two drivers who have reputations for being quick but somewhat reckless. Grosjean seriously raised his game in the second half of last year with some superb drives.

Maldonado, meanwhile, already has his first win under his belt but didn’t seem to offer anything constructive at the struggling Williams team last year. It would be wrong to see his PDVSA funding as the only reason he’s joined Lotus, but more promising and less well-heeled drivers were passed over for him.

[poll id="463"]

McLaren: Jenson Button vs Kevin Magnussen

Kevin Magnussen, McLaren, Jerez, 2014McLaren’s decision to drop Sergio Perez after a single season was one of the biggest surprises of last year’s ‘silly season’.

It would be too much to expect Magnussen, who steps up from Formula Renault 3.5, to get on terms with world champion Button in his first season. But wasn’t the same also said about Hamilton and Alonso the last time McLaren put a rookie in one of their cars?

[poll id="464"]

Force India: Nico Hulkenberg vs Sergio Perez

Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, Bahrain, 2014Perez will need to produce more of the kind of performances that made him stand out at Sauber in 2012 as he goes up against the highly-rated Hulkenberg, whom many believe is overdue a chance in a front-running car.

[poll id="465"]

Sauber: Esteban Gutierrez vs Adrian Sutil

Adrian Sutil, Sauber, Bahrain, 2014Both these drivers both lost out to their team mates last year: Gutierrez was comprehensively routed by Hulkenberg while Sutil was somewhat closer to Paul di Resta.

[poll id="466"]

Toro Rosso: Jean-Eric Vergne vs Daniil Kvyat

Daniil Kvyat, Toro Rosso, Bahrain, 2014Vergne has put a brave face on being passed over for the Red Bull seat for Ricciardo. Now his role is to be the benchmark for GP3 champion Kvyat.

[poll id="467"]

Williams: Valtteri Bottas vs Felipe Massa

Felipe Massa, Williams, Jerez, 2014A fascinating pairing of old hand with a sophomore driver considered a future star by some.

Given how emphatically Alonso beat Massa during their time as team mates, it won’t escape attention if Bottas can do the same. Having been part of the Williams family for several years, he has a sporting chance.

[poll id="468"]

Marussia: Jules Bianchi vs Max Chilton

Jules Bianchi, Marussia, Bahrain, 2014The other unchanged driver pairing from last year. Unlike Rosberg and Hamilton, it was a one-sided contest between these two last year, and it’s hard to imagine it ending any differently this time.

[poll id="469"]

Caterham: Kamui Kobayashi vs Marcus Ericsson

Marcus Ericsson, Kamui Kobayashi, Caterham, Bahrain, 2014Ericsson’s GP2 record may be somewhat underwhelming but it’s no worse than that of Kobayashi, who never achieved the kind of success in the main series which he enjoyed in GP2 Asia.

Kobayashi has much more F1 experience, of course, and you’d expect that to tell over the course of a season, but he should prove a fair benchmark for Sweden’s new F1 driver.

[poll id="470"]

2014 F1 season preview

Browse all 2014 F1 season preview articles

Images © Red Bull/Getty, Red Bull/Getty, Ferrari/Ercole Colombo, Lotus/LAT, McLaren/Hoch Zwei, Sauber, Williams/LAT, Caterham/LAT

196 comments on Who will win the battle of the team mates in 2014?

1. GB (@bgp001ruled) said on 9th March 2014, 2:33

very obvious to me: vettel, vergne, hulk, bianchi, koba and sutil. more out of liking one way more then the other: kimi, grojean, bottas. difficult to me: merc and mclaren. i think hamilton is better, but hope roseberg beats him. and button is not as good as generally believed: if kev is as good as everybody says he is he might have a chance to beat button and i hope he does.

2. Arki (@arki19) said on 9th March 2014, 9:52

Weighing into the Hamilton/Rosberg debate; I get the impression that Mercedes would favour Hamilton as WDC. They took so much effort to get him on their team and I am sure they think he is quicker than Rosberg. Maybe that will be the deciding factor between the two drivers fates this year?

3. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 9th March 2014, 10:14

The only one I had difficulty in deciding was Alonso/Raikkonen, I had to resort to an “eny meeny miney mo” to split them as I honestly can see it going either way. For all the rest, my views are the same as in the forum thread on this topic.

4. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 9th March 2014, 12:28

Vettel
    Rosberg
    Alonso
    Grosjean
    Button
    Hulkenburg
    Sutil
    Vergne
    Massa
    Bianchi
    Kobayashi

I’ve gone for experience on pretty much all of them, although I did think quite seriously about Williams and Sauber. Ferrari has just been a gut instinct that although I like Raikkonen a lot, I think Alonso will have the edge

5. Fixy (@fixy) said on 9th March 2014, 19:44

S Vettel
    L Hamilton
    F Alonso
    R Grosjean
    K Magnussen
    N Hulkenberg
    A Sutil
    J Vergne
    F Massa
    J Bianchi
    K Kobayashi

Whilst with Marussia and Caterham (who I predict will continue their trend of not scoring points) the competition will be fair, with other teams it can all be up to a single positive performance. For example, Magnussen might get a win while Button may not and that may put the former ahead in the battle if during the rest of the season they are well-paired. I made this reasoning with Magnussen, Sutil, Vergne and perhaps Massa.

6. PaulK (@paulk) said on 9th March 2014, 21:22

So more people expect Ricciardo to beat Vettel than Maldonado to beat Grosjean?

Now, as much as I’m not a Vettel’s fan and don’t like Maldonado this is ridiculous. One is a 4 times world champion facing a guy who is really only there to validate the money spent in the program that brought him there, while the other is one guy who is fast, could be a champion one day but hasn’t win anything yet against a crash-prone driver it’s true, but a race winner who can be fast when he’s up to.

Is this critical reasoning or wishful thinking?

7. Bleu (@bleu) said on 10th March 2014, 6:55

As of the current voting standings, I voted for nine drivers who lead their respective battles. Of the current underdogs I voted for Kvyat and Bottas.

8. timi (@timi) said on 10th March 2014, 10:12

I’m surprised so many people think Massa will beat Bottas! I wonder what they base that on? Maybe it’s him being about a second off Alonso the last five years, and Valterri having a great debut year… haha makes perfect sense.

Makes even more sense when Bottas has already been at Williams for a little while, Massa on the other hand has his maiden season with them. The smart money is on Bottas, the guy is a future world-beater.

9. Malc said on 10th March 2014, 13:52

Bottas wasn’t able to beat Maldonado much so I REALLY can’t see him beating Massa. Am I the only person here that recalls Alonso apparently never being able to pass Massa unless the inestimable Rob Smedley told Massa to let him past?

10. PJA (@pja) said on 14th March 2014, 19:02

Battle of the teammates 2014

Red Bull
    I think this is the one of the more straight forward choices, Vettel should easily have the beating of Ricciardo, not because I don’t rate Ricciardo but because Vettel is so good.

Mercedes
    I think this will be close like last year and it could be decided by who has the luck with reliability, but I will choose Hamilton.

Ferrari
    Raikkonen will push Alonso more than Massa but I expect Alonso to come out on top in the end.

Lotus
    I think the team as a whole will struggle this year so I doubt they will match last years results.
    Regarding the teammate battle, both have the potential to be fast but have reputations for crashing. Although Maldonado is the only one with a race win under his belt I think that Grosjean has shown more signs of maturity and consistency so I voted for him.

McLaren
    I expect Magnussen to be fast and have a big impact in his debut season, however over the course of the season I think Button will come out on top.

Force India
    Hopefully Perez will be able to find the form he showed at Sauber in 2012 now he has left McLaren, but even if he does I predict Hulkenberg will still finish ahead of him in the championship.

Sauber
    I think Sutil should beat Gutierrez this season.

Toro Rosso
    Vergne should outperform Kvyat and if he doesn’t this will be his last season in F1. But I fully expect Kvyat to do well this year and to get better as the season goes on.

Williams
    This is Massa’s chance to show that his disappointing performances over the last few seasons were down to having to play second fiddle to Alonso. While I think he will perform better at Williams I think Bottas can finish ahead of him, although it might be another close call.

Marussia
    I fully expect Bianchi to out perform Chilton just as last year, however depending on the competitiveness of the team and the overall reliability of the whole field, whoever finishes ahead in the championship may just be down to who has the best reliability record and a fluke result or two.

Caterham
    Kobayahi should do better than Ericcson but again reliability and fluke result could mean the final championship standings do not accurately reflect the drivers relative performance against each other over the course of the season.