2014 Australian Grand Prix second practice
Lewis Hamilton, who was forced to sit out the earlier session after his car broke down on its first lap out of the garage, ended Friday on top of the times with a best lap of 1’29.782.
Team mate Nico Rosberg was second having led the session until Hamilton beat his lap of 1’29.625.
As in the first session several drivers experienced car problems and once again the Renault teams were chiefly affected. Neither Caterham driver managed to set a time as Kamui Kobayashi was stuck in the pits with a fuel system problem and Marcus Ericsson had a hydraulic failure on his out-lap.
Pastor Maldonado also spent the session in the garage after more problems with his Lotus. Team mate Romain Grosjean did make it onto the track, unlike in the first session.
But his day ended when his car lurched left under braking at turn six, almost hitting the barrier, and leaving him stuck in a gravel trap. “Something strange on the braking,” he reported on the radio.
At almost the same time two corners later Nico Hulkenberg spun his Force India into a gravel trap. The team’s returning driver had run onto the grass in the braking area, provoking the spin.
Having been fastest in the first practice session Fernando Alonso took third behind the two Mercedes.
The two Red Bulls were fourth and sixth, Sebastian Vettel ahead of Daniel Ricciardo, giving them further cause for encouragement after their pre-season problems. Jenson Button’s McLaren separated the pair.
2014 Australian Grand Prix
- The FIA’s verdict rejecting Red Bull’s appeal in full
- Red Bull’s own measurements showed Ricciardo’s car was illegal – FIA
- Red Bull lose appeal against Ricciardo’s Australian Grand Prix disqualification
- Magnussen wins Driver of the Weekend vote on debut
- Losing podium better than retiring – Ricciardo
2014 F1 practice sessions
- Alonso edges Ricciardo as Mercedes keep a low profile
- Hamilton hits the top, Maldonado hits the wall
- Alonso leads Mercedes pair in first practice
- Hamilton quickest as gearbox glitch hits Rosberg
- Rosberg edges delayed Hamilton in Mercedes one-two
Browse all 2014 F1 practice results
Image © Daimler/Hoch Zwei