2014 Australian Grand Prix grid

20. Romain Grosjean 1’36.993
Lotus
Row 11 21. Pastor Maldonado No time
Lotus
22. Esteban Gutierrez* 1’35.117
Sauber

*Five-place penalty for gearbox change

Image © Daimler/Hoch Zwei

172 comments on 2014 Australian Grand Prix grid

1. Alfie (@alfie) said on 15th March 2014, 7:08

I’m rather hoping Maldonado doesn’t start to be honest, there was more enough dry running

2. xjr15jaaag (@xjr15jaaag) said on 15th March 2014, 7:08

I have a feeling Vettel will be fired up for the race and go on to win

3. smokinjoe (@smokinjoe) said on 15th March 2014, 7:09

What a amazing end to the qualifying with lewis snatching the pole.Really wondering what happened to Vettel and Kimi they just look slower then their team mates during whole session.Daniel will definitely
    give run for the money to vettel

4. Eric Morman (@lethalnz) said on 15th March 2014, 7:09

well that just shows when the real drivers have to drive the pants off the car who comes to the top of the grid.

5. Franz said on 15th March 2014, 7:10

Wow… who could argue with that session!?!? Absolutely awesome. Pleasantly surprised by all the rookies… Kvyat especially! Super Seb looking a little pedestrian without his black ho!e diffuser… Daniel: just awesome.

6. runforitscooby (@runforitscooby) said on 15th March 2014, 7:10

Haha not sure which roar was louder when Vettel missed out on Q3 or Ricciardo nearly getting pole~! Gotta love the Aussie crowds

• quads said on 15th March 2014, 11:47

I am sure it was not only the Aussies.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 15th March 2014, 12:47

Yeah I’m only just now reading the comments having just watched the quali, and I’m looking for the outrage at the cheers when SV didn’t make it into Q3. Far more cheers than there were boos last year which got huge attention.

7. Joshua Mesh (@joshua-mesh) said on 15th March 2014, 7:11

Alonso already destroying Kimi. A full second quicker throughout the weekend.

• OOliver said on 15th March 2014, 7:46

I just hope Ferrari in trying to replace Massa, didn’t replace Massa with Massa.
      But in all, I think the Ferrari in recent times, is not a straight forward car to drive, hence new drivers always tend to suffer.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 15th March 2014, 12:48

It’s early days and they may be running the race with different strategies so they may be pretty close in the end.

8. JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 15th March 2014, 7:12

I was hoping that Red Bull would hold off their inevitable recovery until later in the season, but I must admit I was cheering on Daniel at the end. I think I know who I’ll be voting driver of the weekend this time tomorrow! Brilliant way to start the season. Props to Kevin Magnussen and the Toro Rosso boys, too.

9. hzh (@hzh00) said on 15th March 2014, 7:14

So in the end it was the wrong call of the Williams to go on the inters.

10. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 15th March 2014, 7:16

To be honest very happy for both Red Bull drivers !!!!! No Vettel in Q3 didn’t happen if i’m not wrong since Spa 2012, As for Ferrari Alonso suck with his usual 5th place and Kimi ….

11. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 15th March 2014, 7:18

“You’d take a bite out of your seat, you’re clenching that hard.” – MB

Best Brundle-ism of the day!

12. Roald (@roald) said on 15th March 2014, 7:19

I’m not sure if it’s a coincidence that this was probably one of, if not THE most exciting qualifying session I’ve ever seen with the new regulations and all. I love the behaviour of the new cars though, lots of power and too little downforce, sliding guaranteed! They look genuinly hard to control, especially in the wet. Didn’t expect a Red Bull on p2, especially not Ricciardo. This was fantastic, I’m really fired up for this season now.

13. Aced (@aced) said on 15th March 2014, 7:21

MAGNUSSEN! I love this guy already!

• The Blade Runner (@thebladerunner) said on 15th March 2014, 7:47

I’m with you brother!

• Palle (@palle) said on 15th March 2014, 22:56

+1, shared 2. best qualifying of a Rookie in his first GP ever as far as I know. Last time a rookie was P4 in Qualifying in his first race was Hamilton back in 2007. The best qualifying rookie in his first race was Villeneuve on pole in 1996. I just hope he gets a fine race also.

14. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 15th March 2014, 7:23

The prediction championship washed away with the rain.

I went with Rosberg – Pole

1. Rosberg
    2. Lewis
    3. Button
    4. Massa
    5. Vettel

15. Yobo01 (@yobo01) said on 15th March 2014, 7:25

Vettel’s situation is a bit weird. He was very quick yesterday, today he struggled a lot. Before quali I saw a tweet that said that Red Bull had installed a software overnight that didn’t quite work, so I guess that’s it. Horner said that Seb had a loss of power, so I think it could be related to it.

Anyway, exciting qualifying, exciting grid. Impressive job by Ricciardo, Magnussen and Kvyat (even if he crashed in q3).