2014 Australian Grand Prix grid

20. Romain Grosjean 1’36.993
Lotus
Row 11 21. Pastor Maldonado No time
Lotus
22. Esteban Gutierrez* 1’35.117
Sauber

*Five-place penalty for gearbox change

Image © Daimler/Hoch Zwei

172 comments on 2014 Australian Grand Prix grid

1. runforitscooby (@runforitscooby) said on 15th March 2014, 7:10

Haha not sure which roar was louder when Vettel missed out on Q3 or Ricciardo nearly getting pole~! Gotta love the Aussie crowds

• quads said on 15th March 2014, 11:47

I am sure it was not only the Aussies.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 15th March 2014, 12:47

Yeah I’m only just now reading the comments having just watched the quali, and I’m looking for the outrage at the cheers when SV didn’t make it into Q3. Far more cheers than there were boos last year which got huge attention.

2. Joshua Mesh (@joshua-mesh) said on 15th March 2014, 7:11

Alonso already destroying Kimi. A full second quicker throughout the weekend.

• OOliver said on 15th March 2014, 7:46

I just hope Ferrari in trying to replace Massa, didn’t replace Massa with Massa.
      But in all, I think the Ferrari in recent times, is not a straight forward car to drive, hence new drivers always tend to suffer.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 15th March 2014, 12:48

It’s early days and they may be running the race with different strategies so they may be pretty close in the end.

3. JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 15th March 2014, 7:12

I was hoping that Red Bull would hold off their inevitable recovery until later in the season, but I must admit I was cheering on Daniel at the end. I think I know who I’ll be voting driver of the weekend this time tomorrow! Brilliant way to start the season. Props to Kevin Magnussen and the Toro Rosso boys, too.

4. hzh (@hzh00) said on 15th March 2014, 7:14

So in the end it was the wrong call of the Williams to go on the inters.

5. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 15th March 2014, 7:16

To be honest very happy for both Red Bull drivers !!!!! No Vettel in Q3 didn’t happen if i’m not wrong since Spa 2012, As for Ferrari Alonso suck with his usual 5th place and Kimi ….

6. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 15th March 2014, 7:18

“You’d take a bite out of your seat, you’re clenching that hard.” – MB

Best Brundle-ism of the day!

7. Roald (@roald) said on 15th March 2014, 7:19

I’m not sure if it’s a coincidence that this was probably one of, if not THE most exciting qualifying session I’ve ever seen with the new regulations and all. I love the behaviour of the new cars though, lots of power and too little downforce, sliding guaranteed! They look genuinly hard to control, especially in the wet. Didn’t expect a Red Bull on p2, especially not Ricciardo. This was fantastic, I’m really fired up for this season now.

8. Aced (@aced) said on 15th March 2014, 7:21

MAGNUSSEN! I love this guy already!

• The Blade Runner (@thebladerunner) said on 15th March 2014, 7:47

I’m with you brother!

• Palle (@palle) said on 15th March 2014, 22:56

+1, shared 2. best qualifying of a Rookie in his first GP ever as far as I know. Last time a rookie was P4 in Qualifying in his first race was Hamilton back in 2007. The best qualifying rookie in his first race was Villeneuve on pole in 1996. I just hope he gets a fine race also.

9. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 15th March 2014, 7:23

The prediction championship washed away with the rain.

I went with Rosberg – Pole

1. Rosberg
    2. Lewis
    3. Button
    4. Massa
    5. Vettel

10. Yoshisune (@yobo01) said on 15th March 2014, 7:25

Vettel’s situation is a bit weird. He was very quick yesterday, today he struggled a lot. Before quali I saw a tweet that said that Red Bull had installed a software overnight that didn’t quite work, so I guess that’s it. Horner said that Seb had a loss of power, so I think it could be related to it.

Anyway, exciting qualifying, exciting grid. Impressive job by Ricciardo, Magnussen and Kvyat (even if he crashed in q3).

11. Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 15th March 2014, 7:27

Anybody has RIC in top 5 in predictions?

12. mark p said on 15th March 2014, 7:28

Loved the cars moving and drivers fighting them. Like 70’s F1 or Motp GP you can see them working more. Shame about the noise it didn’t go with what I was watching. It was like a rock concert but with Britney Spears overdubbed. I am all for these new engines but the sound on tv….but in a few races I won’t pay much attention to it.

13. Yusha (@freebird78) said on 15th March 2014, 7:30

Daniel Ricciardo’s P2 has surprised me a bit. RBR seem to have covered a lot of ground since the testing ended. Their FP running was also fraught with issues. I think RBR is going to be right there this year too and will probably fight hard for the championship. They might even win it. This is going to be an exciting year!

14. SennaPart2 said on 15th March 2014, 7:32

At the end of the season Lewis will be standing with 44 pole positions!!!!!

15. raj said on 15th March 2014, 7:37

what is happening to alonso and ferrari . i thought ferrari had the pace to be in the top 4 yet they blowed their chances up once again . hope they have a better race speed than mercedes . i think mercedes is like what they were last year . good qualification pace but bad race speed . hope alonso blow away ham-berg from taking the titles

16. SennaPart2 said on 15th March 2014, 7:45

Lewis Hamilton, at end of 2014 season, 44 pole positions!!!!!

17. Well I predicted pole, but the rest of the grid is surprising.

18. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 15th March 2014, 7:46

It’s utterly disgusting to read comments here about people mocking at Vettel. This is the sort of attitude one needs to change, I mean guys common! Just the 1st qualifying of the new season and most people have even concluded a lot things. It was a fascinating session with timing of the lap playing a crucial role as well as the weather and drivability of cars.

Ricciardo did a stellar job and so did many drivers up and down the field. An enjoyable start to the season.

• James said on 15th March 2014, 8:09

I’m with you, I’m approaching this season with an open mind. Having said that I disagree with those saying he will move all the way up the grid. Ricciardo got P2 on inters, which should be a quicker tyre than the fill wets, I think the rain has hidden the pace of the Mercedes and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them run away from the red bull at the start (should the race be dry)

• Alan Miller (@alanmiller) said on 15th March 2014, 8:55

Well if your looking for those to change their tune I think your going to be sorely disappointed. We F1 fans are known for our temporary amnesia and predicting entire championships with little data. That being said if this trend were to continue for the next five races or so then the predictions would have some clout. The best explanation so far is that even the best drivers have car issues.

I have to agree with you about RIC he had a stonking good performance! If the car holds up RBR look like serious contenders for the WCC. (See! I’m making championship predictions with little data!)

• David Margono (@woshidavid95) said on 15th March 2014, 10:02

@neelv27

I totally see where you’re coming from and I agree with your sentiments… unfortunately Vettel is not exactly popular and on other websites, the bashing gets a lot worse; F1Fanatic has one of the most open-minded and rational members in general… it’d be ideal if the world was free of boneheaded fanboys/girls whom in their eyes their favourite driver (Usually Alonso/Hamilton/Raikkonen) can do wrong while their target of bashing (Usually Vettel) is the personification of evil but hey, this is the Internet so we just have to put up with it…

• Palle (@palle) said on 15th March 2014, 23:05

I agree and I think we also have a job to do to remind ourselves keep it fair. I mean its ok to utter some criticism, if the arguments why, is put forward. But just to claim someone is the enemy or just defining that on this forum we don’t like driver x and team y etc. gets very tiring to read.

19. F1Rollout (@f1rollout) said on 15th March 2014, 7:47

2014 hasn’t really brought anything new in the pecking order. Its Mercedes and Redbull who are leading with Ferrari behind. Expect Vettel to take his usual position by the end of the season otherwise you will be disappointed. Expect Fernando to stuck with his 5th place and Ferrari to no challenge the top two. I really don’t understand how come all these regulation changes didn’t make any difference?

• To be honest will still don’t know the order, wait ’till China at least. Looking at dry pace I think we have Merc >>>>Williams>> Ferrari>>> Red Bull> Mclaren. Quite a turn around from last year.

20. Chad (@chaddy) said on 15th March 2014, 7:49

I really think Marussia or Caterham will get their first ever points tomorrow.

I’ve figured it out.