F1 drivers’ helmets guide 2014

2014 F1 season

More and more drivers seem to change their helmet design after each race, let alone between seasons.

In a change for 2014, each driver has to display the career number each of them has chosen on their helmet so they can be identified more easily.

Here’s what the drivers of 2014 are wearing at the start of the season.

Sebastian Vettel

Where better to start than the driver who has made regular changes of helmet design his calling card? Sebastian Vettel has already sported several different styles since the season began.

Daniel Ricciardo

The new occupant of the second Red Bull tends to stick with the same design.

Lewis Hamilton

The Mercedes drivers had very similar yellow helmets last year bur they’re much easier to tell apart this season. Lewis Hamilton has gone for white…

Nico Rosberg

…while Nico Rosberg has a striking black design.

Fernando Alonso

Classic blue and yellow colours for Fernando Alonso as usual.

Kimi Raikkonen

While Kimi Raikkonen’s red, white and black design is similar to the last one he used at Ferrari in 2009.

Romain Grosjean

As well as this red, white and blue helmet Romain Grosjean also has a white one for the season’s three night races, which appeared for the first time in Bahrain last weekend.

Pastor Maldonado

Familiar colours for Pastor Maldonado but a slight reinterpretation of his design from last year.

Jenson Button

Jenson Button’s helmet incorporates a Papa Smurf graphic in memory of his father who died in January.

Kevin Magnussen

A bold ‘K’ identifies the helmet of new McLaren recruit Kevin Magnussen.

Nico Hulkenberg

Hulkenberg has a classic, simple helmet we he tends to stick to.

Sergio Perez

Sergio Perez likes vivid colours and has now added some Force India orange to go with his bright yellow and green design.

Esteban Gutierrez

Another Mexican driver with a colourful helmet – Esteban Gutierrez has substituted much of the blue on his old style for red and green.

Adrian Sutil

Aside from the darker shade of silver, Adrian Sutil’s has kept his look much the same since switched teams.

Jean-Eric Vergne

Jean-Eric Vergne also uses some slightly different variations on this style.

Daniil Kvyat

The colours of the Russian flag are prominent on Daniil Kvyat’s helmet.

Valtteri Bottas

Both Williams drivers have incorporated the stripes of the team’s new title sponsor. They work well on Valtteri Bottas’s helmet…

Felipe Massa

…but clash somewhat with Felipe Massa’s. Curiously they have orientated their numbers in opposite directions.

Jules Bianchi

Small stickers on Jules Bianchi’s helmet denote his status as a Ferrari development driver.

Max Chilton

There’s no missing Max Chilton’s choice of number.

Kamui Kobayashi

A bold change for Kamui Kobayashi on his return to F1 – his previous design was red, purple and white.

Marcus Ericsson

Marcus Ericsson may have replaced Charles Pic but his blue and yellow helmet is not that dissimilar to his predecessor’s.

Test drivers’ helmets

The helmet designs being used by three of this year’s test drivers.

2014 F1 season preview

Browse all 2014 F1 season preview articles

Images © Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo, Lotus/LAT, Williams/LAT, McLaren/LAT, Mercedes/Hoch Zwei, Daimler/Hoch Zwei, Red Bull/Getty, Force India, Sauber, Caterham/LAT, Marussia,

75 comments on F1 drivers’ helmets guide 2014

1 2 3
  1. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 11th April 2014, 12:21

You know what the biggest issue is with Vettel changing his helmet design every single race?

Nothing. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with Vettel changing his helmet design every single race.

• Deej92 (@deej92) said on 11th April 2014, 12:30

I enjoy seeing his different helmets, also.

• That’s the Comment of the day right there!

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 11th April 2014, 14:23

@magnificent-geoffrey – I know it’s an overused argument, but in a sport where the driver is utterly submarined into a car, the helmet becomes the only vessel of their identity. That said, Vettel can usually been spotted as the Red Bull driver that’s in front, although Ricciardo might have something to say about that…

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 11th April 2014, 15:51

@william-brierty can’t be seen the other way round? From the Red Bull drivers, you can recognize Ricciardo’s design, so the other, whatever design it is, surely is Vettel.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 11th April 2014, 18:45

@omarr-pepper – Well that is in essence how I identify Vettel, but call me old fashioned, but I think it is a bit of a shame that such a great champion gets identified simply as “the one that isn’t Ricciardo”…

• hugh said on 20th May 2014, 18:53

there are other ways to identify a pilot. Some people seem to struggle with identification of a pilot(s) if their helmet is different. second pilot in the team has a yellow T-bar for example and obviously the pilots have chosen special numbers for this year… it’s easier than ever really, to identify the pilots now unless you dont have an HD tv and cant see the numbers and/or T-bar .

• Jimbo Hull (@kartingjimbo) said on 11th April 2014, 16:27

I hear this argument over and over again but I really don’t heed to it, at least in present day formula 1. I respect the signature helmet, it runs true through out all levels of motorsport and history (partly due to the fact changing your helmet every race would cost an arm and a leg), I think it’s a very important thing to establish as you plod along.

But with all the coverage and information we get fed during F1 races we hardly need much visual input from the helmets. Back in the day you wouldn’t have swanky tv graphics telling you (and the commentator) who’s Mclaren that was or who’s Ferrari was in front but now we do.

Maybe Vettel thinks he doesn’t need an ‘image’ and doesn’t have much of a sentimental value to having the same look. Plus out of process of elimination you can work out it’s him in a matter of seconds, if everyone did it then yeah we may have an issue. Oh and secondly all the Red Bull sponsored drivers have very similar designs anyway, it’s good he steps away from that.

His Stratos helmet last year was one of the coolest concepts I’ve ever seen, visually represented the epic feet perfectly.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 12th April 2014, 19:13

@kartingjimbo – I’m not criticizing Vettel because of recognition issues, they are, as you say, fleeting and trivial, but I simply think it is a shame that Vettel, unlike every iconic champion of the past, doesn’t have an iconic design as part of his historic identity.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 11th April 2014, 16:17

@magnificent-geoffrey I don’t like it… a special helmet or two per season is alright, but there’s not a single Vettel helmet that stands out for me. Not even the ones with LEDs and that sort of stuff.

Look at Jenson’s one for isntance. So classy and distinctive. And he also changed it, but slightly. It sort of evolved. I like that. Even Kimi, that regularly changes his design every season. But at least he sticks to 1 design all year.

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer that.

• Jimbo Hull (@kartingjimbo) said on 11th April 2014, 16:35

Have to agree with Jenson’s helmet being majorly iconic but you never get that from a Red Bull sponsored driver. The branding always seems to drown out the drivers design, I really don’t blame Vettel for all the different things he tries even though a lot do flop (in ones opinion).

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 11th April 2014, 18:49

@fer-no65 “+1″ to that. Every great champion, Senna, Stewart, Prost, Mansell, Schumacher, had instantly recognizable, distinctive designs. It’s almost a shame that a great four-time champion like Vettel doesn’t…

• charleston said on 20th May 2014, 18:45

He has a point though. Most of the red bull drivers have similar helmets. They all resemble a red bull can in the end. It’s not really a big deal that vettel doesn’t have one helmet, it’s actually refreshing since his helmet doesn’t resemble a red bull can. Also we don’t remember all of the formula 1 greats because of simple iconic helmets. We remember them for what they achieved on the track and vettel has already made a name for himself ” one helmet design ” or not he will be remembered. It doesn’t really matter.

• Alan Miller (@alanmiller) said on 11th April 2014, 21:07

I may not be remembering this correctly but don’t most of his helmets get auctioned off for the Wings for Life charity?

• It’s possible. I saw in an interview with Nico Rosberg that the drivers change their helmet (if not the design) every couple of races on the basis of “better safe than sorry”. I guess the constantly changing design would make the helmets more valuable in Vettel’s case.

• adrian z said on 20th May 2014, 18:41

it’s mandatory to get a new helmet after a wreck I believe, as it weakens. As for changing every few races even if they dont wreck… Maybe they like the feel of a fresh helmet and it’s padding/lining. Maybe its better that way .

• Simon (@dimsim) said on 12th April 2014, 0:24

I instantly recognize all drivers from the 60s through to the 90s.

Now when i turn on the tv to watch the latest grand prix on a sunday i basically have no idea who is driving what car.

There might be nothing wrong with it, but it is annoying.

And every helmet is way over-stylized. If these people were chefs they would use every ingredient in the fridge and cupboards in every meal. It’s insane.

• Brian C (@bcracing) said on 12th April 2014, 23:11

Nobody has an issue with it. Helmet designs don’t effect anything.

• It’s all well and good to say that ever changing helmets is no problem, but try explaining that to model collectors, aside from TV watchers. For the former, once upon a time, you’d buy a single model for the season or models for each epic win or event. Then they started changing sponsors on cars depending on grand prix location. Now the bloody helmet. Imagine sportsmen and teams in other disciplines doing so for each of their game matches.

• Chadley said on 20th May 2014, 18:55

Mmm hmm. There’s nothing wrong with vettel changing his design. +1

2. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 11th April 2014, 12:26

I quite like the designs of Rosbergs and Magnussen this year.

3. QuantumForce said on 11th April 2014, 12:26

I like how Koba has put in traditional Japanese art elements into his design.

4. Wasnt there some rule to ban changing of helmet on every race from this year?

5. sumedh said on 11th April 2014, 12:33

Liking Kevin’s helmet. Clean and simple.

On the opposite ends are the Latin American drivers. They all seem to have party theme in them. Felipe has so much florescent, the Mexicans have multiple bright colors – Orange, Green, Yellow, Pastor has that weird big ‘M’ on the top!

• Sam (@) said on 11th April 2014, 12:36

I like those colours. It makes them stand out. Hülkenberg is a very good driver but his helmet is boring. Perez his helmet on the other hand.

• I like his helmet being boring. Like its saying ‘I dont need a flashy helmet, my driving is going to do the talking’. And boy does it!

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 11th April 2014, 15:54

Hey!! I’m latin…. naaah you’re right. Those helmets look like the Rio Movie characters.

6. Jueta (@eljueta) said on 11th April 2014, 12:36

Susie Wolff has the best helmet period.

7. I love Perez’s helmet! I’m known for liking bold and bright colours, and Orange is by far my favourite, so that probably explains why Sergio’s design is my favourite.

I also think it’s nice to see a driver with such a vibrant design, there’s certainly no missing him…

8. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 11th April 2014, 13:08

Perez’s is my favourite there. He’s probably been allowed more freedom with the design than when he was with McLaren, which was also quite a vibrant design!

Others I’m liking there are Rosberg’s, Bottas’ (I like helmets that blend in with the car), and usually whatever helmet Vettel is sporting in a particular session.

It’s unusual to see Hamilton with a white helmet. I thought it was going to be temporary. He’s been driving pretty well with it mind!

9. andae23 (@andae23) said on 11th April 2014, 13:39

Kobayashi’s new helmet is very cool, as is Perez’ carbon helmet from testing, but my favourite is still Hulkenberg’s helmet. Simple, elegant and recognizable.

10. Lewis McMurray (@celicadion23) said on 11th April 2014, 13:51

Alonso’s Asturias colours still do it for me, such a simple but cool colour combo, especially with some rosso corsa thrown in :) honorable mentions to Rosberg’s stealth helmet and Perez’ very not stealth helmet.

Not sure why Hamilton moved away from yellow, not a big fan of his new colour scheme. Looks like milky custard

11. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 11th April 2014, 13:57

The helmet inscribed with the word “one” is definitely Vettel’s best design so far. I would keep it if I was him, but…

Apart from the rather boring designs of Magnussen, Bianchi and Raikkonen they all look great, and I am now faced with the task of procuring as many half scale replicas of them as possible. Those replicas are like an F1 fan’s version of catnip…

12. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 11th April 2014, 14:01

Mmm…Sutil might be boring but I really like his helmet. A good mix of colors with a great shading effect.

13. AndrewT (@andrewt) said on 11th April 2014, 14:30

I really like the helmets of Rosberg and Sutil

Gutierrez’s helmet resembles a bit like the old Hamilton-one

To be honest, the fact that the numbers are on the helmets doesn’t help recognizing the drivers, different helmet colors does, and especially in night races it really helps a lot.

I also have nothing against that Vettel keeps changing his helmets from race to rae or from session to session, however only few remained remarkable for me of the many he used.

14. iFuel said on 11th April 2014, 14:41

If a kid can’t draw a helmet from memory, it’s not a good helmet in my book…
    When I was a kid, I could draw from memory the helmets of all my favorite drivers, such as Senna, Berger, Hakkinen, Frentzen (those were my favorite drivers in the 90′s).. And to this day, I can still remember clearly their helmets… can’t say the same for most drivers of current generation…

15. PMccarthy_is_a_legend (@pmccarthy_is_a_legend) said on 11th April 2014, 14:52

Kobayashi’s design is beautiful. Quite like Rosberg’s too.

1 2 3