2014 Spanish Grand Prix grid

20. Kamui Kobayashi 1’30.375
Caterham
Row 11 21. Pastor Maldonado** No time
Lotus
22. Jean-Eric Vergne*** No time
Toro Rosso

*Five-place penalty for gearbox change
**Did not set a time in Q1 but granted permission to start by the stewards as he set representative times during practice
***Ten-place penalty for unsafe release

Image © Daimler/Hoch Zwei

88 comments on 2014 Spanish Grand Prix grid

1. Pennyroyal tea (@peartree) said on 10th May 2014, 14:35

Never saw this track limiting rear grip, not to mention that the degradation is small. I think we can clearly see who enjoys slippy hot conditions. Ferrari and FI can’t heat up the tyres and can’t enjoy their usual benefits on tyre preservation therefore I can’t see them improving that much on the race, at least their competition is error prone, in Lotus and Williams. The rest of the grid should stay quite static unless there’s reliability problems. A shout out to Max Chilton that after 24 races or so has beaten his teammate for the 1st time in his career, this is if Bianchi hasn’t suffered any mechanical fault.

2. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 10th May 2014, 14:38

Very good quali session and what a blow to Rosberg by Lewis. He is clearly rattled and few more blows by Lewis and we’ll see a knockout!

Strange incident for Pastor. I’ve seen so many drivers go wide but none of them had lost it. All weekend his rear has been too loose. Anyway we all knew that Romain would have the measure of him. I sense from the facial expressions of the Lotus guys that Pastor isn’t liked by the team and is only being tolerated because of the money bags.

Another thing I’ve observed is that when the pressure is on, Massa know how to blow it up.

Finally, I really feel sorry for Seb. That’s not the way to loose your title defense. What goes around, comes around!!

3. pH (@ph) said on 10th May 2014, 14:45

Given that psychological warfare is an integral part of F1, I wonder whether perhaps Hamilton held back a bit in Q1 and Q2 intentionally. Today’s scenario was the most devastating for Rosberg, and it would have been a no-risk strategy for Hamilton.

Anyway, looks like Rosberg is the Webber of Mercedes. Patiently waiting while the team and car were developed, only to be upstaged by a newcomer to the team. I actually hope I am wrong here, I’d like him to raise his game and keep the WCD standings close till the end of the season..

• Klaas (@klaas) said on 10th May 2014, 15:29

@

Perhaps Hamilton held back a bit in Q1 and Q2 intentionally.

It’s hard to think he would take such a risk, when he cand devastate Rosberg by simply winning another race. It was obvious that Lewis wasn’t very comfortable with the car in Q1 and Q2. I don’t know weather they changed anything in between sessions, but it was a whole different drive form HAM in Q3.

Anyway, looks like Rosberg is the Webber of Mercedes.

I think he’s more like Dani Pedrosa in MotoGP. He has the best machine by far but there’s another guy up there (Marquez) who’s brutally faster and he just can’t do anything about it.
      As I once mentioned in one comment here, it will take Lewis to stretch his wins to Monaco GP for Rosberg to crack definitively. For now ROS has only his team-mate to battle with, but if RBR finally get their act together and surmount a challenge, Nico might start to ‘enjoy coming second to Lewis’.

• pH (@ph) said on 10th May 2014, 15:53

It’s hard to think he would take such a risk

That’s actually the point, he would take no risk at all. There are no points nor track position for winning Q1 and Q2, you only have to be in top 16 and top 10, and given the dominance of Mercedes, Hamilton did not have to worry about it. Anyway, I am not claiming Hamilton did it, only raising it as an interesting possibility. To be frank, I would expect such premeditated tactics rather from Alonso than Hamilton :-).

4. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 10th May 2014, 14:46

An interesting fact I saw: Alonso has been out-qualified by his team-mate at the Spanish Grand Prix for the first time since 2004 (Trulli).

5. TMF (@tmf42) said on 10th May 2014, 15:02

I hope the FIA doesn’t get the same ideas as in 2011 and starts interfering with the pecking order. I’m a RBR fan and I’m still annoyed how they handled the EBD saga. Mercedes deserves it and no one should try to take it away from them just because the rest didn’t do a good job.
    Other than that I just hope the rest of the field moves closer together – 2011 and the second half of 2013 was bearable because of lots of fights for positions.

6. SteveR said on 10th May 2014, 15:34

Six GP2 cars would have made it into the F1 grid this year. Pole position is 4.514 sec. slower than last year. Pic in the Caterham-Renault, qualifying 22nd in 2013, did a 1:25.070 that would have put him on pole this year. What a joke.

• craig-o (@craig-o) said on 10th May 2014, 16:19

Well, no they wouldn’t. They probably would have been excluded from the session for not running within the regulations.

• macrob said on 10th May 2014, 17:39

The circuit of Catalunya is very technical, one of the most challenging of all championship, if a car’s design has more areas of improvement on optimizing a good combination of balance-downforce-speed, they would most certainly show up precisely here, in Barcelona (that is one of the reasons why it is the venue of excellence for testing). Have some faith, I believe is also positive for everyone involved in the sport to see that this 2014 cars still have a lot of room for improvement, they have big potential in performance, in the first 3 races the teams seemed to be focused more on reliability and getting more speed out of the cars, Barcelona will now remind them that they need to start pushing greatly on aerodynamics too and getting the suspension configuration right. By the end of the season, the car performance will be close to those V8 from 2013. Kind regards!

7. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 10th May 2014, 17:39

It needs to be updated, Vettel starts 15th.

8. Uzair Syed (@ultimateuzair) said on 10th May 2014, 17:46

If Vettel gets a gearbox penalty, he will start 15th.

9. Andrei (@crandreico) said on 10th May 2014, 22:08

I’m no superstitious person but I think Maldonado should ask FIA to be able to change it’s car number, to another one than 13. This is getting more and more embarassing for Lotus – Renault.