2014 Monaco Grand Prix result

1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 5 73 laps 5 laps Turbo
13 Pastor Maldonado Lotus-Renault 0 78 laps 5 laps Fuel pump
11 Sergio Perez Force India-Mercedes 0 78 laps Accident

Image © Daimler/Hoch Zwei

95 comments on 2014 Monaco Grand Prix result

1. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 25th May 2014, 14:57

So 9th is factoring in the penalty?

2. Osvaldas31 (@osvaldas31) said on 25th May 2014, 14:57

Hunger can sometimes exhaust you.

3. Nick (@npf1) said on 25th May 2014, 14:59

Great drive from Bianchi, really happy for him and Marussia! Great drive from both Nico’s, Danny.. Really starting to think Kimi’s 2005 win around here was a fluke, though..

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 25th May 2014, 15:06

Why? He did fairly well besides the move on Magnussen. I don’t think it was his fault that he lost 3rd at the first safety car.

• Hotbottoms (@hotbottoms) said on 25th May 2014, 15:08

Kimi probably would’ve finished on the podium without the extra pit stop, so I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

• Lari (@lari) said on 25th May 2014, 15:08

Tell me what he did wrong to have to pit in 2nd time within a few laps during SC which effectively ruined his race. At the end he was just desperate and tried all or nothing move, since his race was already ruined (8th isn’t any comfort when he was well on going for 3rd).

• Iestyn Davies (@fastiesty) said on 25th May 2014, 15:14

Kimi was 3rd without Chilton giving him a puncture.

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 25th May 2014, 15:22

Why? He almost finished third …

• Nick (@npf1) said on 25th May 2014, 15:44

‘If’s’ don’t amount to anything; he’s had dodgy moves around Monaco before, I wasn’t that surprised when he collected Magnussen at the end. Finishing high up does involve keeping the car together for the entire race.

Not to mention, Ricciardo easily left Alonso behind at the end, while Alonso was catching both Daniel and Kimi before the SC. I highly doubt Kimi would have kept Daniel behind.

I find his do-or-die moves around this track to be unimpressive; my appreciation of Kimi took a huge dent when he collided with Sutil in 2008; I’m not sure what his run-in with Magnussen today has done.

• Lari (@lari) said on 25th May 2014, 15:49

@npf1 And you conveniently leave out the Chilton incident which ruined RAI’s race. Then you contradict yourself when you say “if’s don’t amount to anything” and speculate in the very next sentence how you think RIC would’ve passed RAI and half suggesting ALO would’ve at least caught RAI if not passed.

Regarding to MAG, that was already addressed above. TL;DR Bad move from RAI, he gave up already by that time since his race was over already due to Chilton.

• Hotbottoms (@hotbottoms) said on 25th May 2014, 15:53

@npf1

‘If’s’ don’t amount to anything

That’s right, but it’s still ridiculous to blame driver for something (the extra pit stop during SC) that wasn’t his fault. Do you also think that Vettel was bad today, since he retired due to mechanical failure?

Ricciardo couldn’t pass Hamilton at the end of the race even though he was considerably faster, so I doubt he could’ve overtook Kimi either.

• Nick (@npf1) said on 25th May 2014, 16:38

@lari @hotbottoms Where exactly do I blame Raikkonen for the incident with Chilton? I’m only saying he didn’t keep it together afterwards. If you end up in the back, you still need to make it to the end to score the maximum amount of points and I lament that he didn’t do that, how is that blaming him for the Chilton incident? And I really don’t see how it’s ok he gave up on finishing in the points with Ferrari being where they are and having won his championship on a single point; he should be able to value a single point. He went for it last year too, without his moves ending in tears. I’m disgruntled he failed to do so this year.

Ricciardo and Hamilton had similar lap times; Alonso fell behind but was quicker than Raikkonen before the SC; hence it is not entirely unrealistic Ricciardo would have found a way past due to differences in laptimes being bigger than between HAM and RIC.

And if I really didn’t care about those ifs, I wouldn’t reply at all, would I?

• Lari (@lari) said on 25th May 2014, 17:20

@npf1 I quote you “if’s don’t amount to anything”, so better leave those out, yes?

1) Where did I say I think you blame Raikkonen for the incident? Please quote my post where I say it. I give you a hint, there isn’t such phrase.

2) I already said 3 times I agree with you on that Loews move, can’t you read?

3) Why did you leave the Chilton incident out in first place? I still need to repeat myself since you can’t answer it.

4) They all had new tires when SC come out, so you never know how that would’ve turned out. As you said, we leave if’s out and RAI was 3rd when Chilton hit him, period.

• Nick (@npf1) said on 25th May 2014, 17:33

@lari Have I angered you in some way?

1. I was replying to both you and hotbottoms, who stated it was “ridiculous to blame driver for something (the extra pit stop during SC) that wasn’t his fault”.

2. Again, not only replying to you. At that; I do not read comments online with the same level of concentration that I read usually.

3. I left it out because it wasn’t Kimi’s fault.

4. Hamilton’s, Ricciardo’s and Alonso’s laptimes aren’t ifs. But sure, he could have finished 3d. I however remain upset by Raikkonen’s approach to the end of the race.

• Lari (@lari) said on 25th May 2014, 17:40

@nfp1 “3. I left it out because it wasn’t Kimi’s fault.” So you only comment what is Kimi’s fault and not whole situation that led to it? Well, now we see your reasoning with comments.

Laptimes are not ifs, yes. Hence we gotta remember they just got new tires and what did Raikkonen do at the start of the race? Get 4-5sec gap to RIC, who himself got 3sec gap to ALO. Also, when pushed, RAI did get the fastest lap of the race. Doesn’t matter if it’s new tires, all of them had, but it shows what the speed was there to clinch 3rd place, more likely than not.

• Droid Damudi (@droiddamudi) said on 25th May 2014, 16:00

so i blame kimi for trying? what you think of alonso move on heidfield in monaco 2008 race? same corner?

I think i’d rather have driver try an optimistic move than boring train which is what monaco always provide. again, i say optimistic, not idiotic. Kimi move on kmag was not idiotic.

Regarding sutil incident, you do realize he didn’t even try to pass sutil that time around, he simply lock rear brake on bumps which is common in that part of circuit(DC crashing out that year i think or 2007). and because of rain, to avoid wet patch kimi had to brake early. He didn’t make a move, he simply lost control.

• Droid Damudi (@droiddamudi) said on 25th May 2014, 16:05

also, if you think kimi’s win in 2005 is fluke then go watch 2003, 2006 race in both race he was faster driver. in 2003, his fastest lap was just about .1 sec slower than lap record set by MS in all conquering F2004 driving year old car. he hold unofficial lap record in monaco (2006 quali). he got front start in 2009 with F60 just mis pole time by few tenth of a sec.

• Nick (@npf1) said on 25th May 2014, 16:40

I don’t think so; I’m just intensely disappointed by the majority of his races around Monaco since his 2005 win. It’s true his 2009 race was good; he wasn’t the highest point scorer in between a couple of races for nothing that year.

He just can’t seem to string together a complete race around here without some piss poor luck (2006, last year, this year) or just not doing all that well in the end (2008, the Magnussen incident this year).

• Nick (@npf1) said on 25th May 2014, 16:25

Gee, sorry for ever doubting demi-God Raikkonen, guys.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 26th May 2014, 0:22

Fastest lap!?

4. Mayank (@mjf1fan) said on 25th May 2014, 15:00

BIANCHI!!!!
    Game over for CATERHAM.

5. Aimal (@aimalkhan) said on 25th May 2014, 15:01

2007, 2011 and now 2014. What is it with Hamilton and Monaco? They dont seem to have a happy relationship do they?

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 25th May 2014, 15:25

Had it rained, Hamilton would’ve won it and Rosberg would have said that “wins in the rain don’t count”

• Lari (@lari) said on 25th May 2014, 15:55

Had, would could, if, but, etc, those words can twist every race since 1950 the way you like it.

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 25th May 2014, 16:21

I’m just saying that given Hamiltons problems (engine failure at Melbourne, being on the slower tyre at Bahrein and now something stuck in his eye at Monaco) and the lack of problems on the other side of the garage, Hamilton is doing a great job.

Also, the people who tought that he was going to crash into Rosberg at the start were proven wrong, which proves he is maybe more mature than Senna ever was.

• Lari (@lari) said on 25th May 2014, 17:27

And I’m STILL just saying with woulds, colds, ifs, but, etc, you can twist things to your own likings, whatever the case may be. All that matters is what the end result is. You either accept it or not.

• JackJ said on 25th May 2014, 19:41

What a pointless comment.

6. Albert said on 25th May 2014, 15:01

Funny race, didn’t find it too interesting though.

Shame for Vettel and Raikkonen, they had masterfully starts. Also Bottas, first time out of the points.

Good for Bianchi, it was the surprise of the race.

7. AlokIn (@) said on 25th May 2014, 15:02

German team favors the crybaby German.
    Mercedes pit stop strategy favored Nico.

8. Strontium (@strontium) said on 25th May 2014, 15:02

Feel sorry for Caterham, but I knew that Bianchi was made of the stuff. Brilliant drive by him, just a shame it’s 2 not 4 points, but still an achievement nonetheless!!

9. sozavele (@formula-1) said on 25th May 2014, 15:03

So pleased for Marussia and Bianchi. It’s been a hard few years but at least they can say they scored points now!!

10. Ean (@ean) said on 25th May 2014, 15:04

Strange that Riccardo’s car run perfectly every time while Vettel suffers misfortune race after race during qualifying and the race. Makes me think

11. Ricardo Ferreira (@yes-master) said on 25th May 2014, 15:06

“I’ve got something in my eye!!! Can’t see anything…” Hilarious!
    Ham, everything is ok, mate. It was fear you felt in your eye…It’s all right…maybe next time.

12. Ron (@rcorporon) said on 25th May 2014, 15:07

Guess Hamilton wasn’t poor enough as a youth to be hungry enough for the win today.

13. Droid Damudi (@droiddamudi) said on 25th May 2014, 15:23

as i said in AS forum, with Bianchi and marussia finishing in point, everybody forgotten about another back marker, M. Ericsson, considering He’s rookie and not much rated driver to begin with, but, He did finish his first monaco GP and finish 11.

I say excellent job ericsson.

14. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 25th May 2014, 15:37

Maybe Ericcson will score points: don’t forget Button is under investigation for throwing Sergio Pérez in the wall.

• Johnnie said on 25th May 2014, 16:15

nah i think button is to far infront. i guess button is going to get a drivethru whis is about a 20 sec on his time

15. AldoH said on 25th May 2014, 16:25

Massa going from 16 to 7 was brilliant.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 25th May 2014, 17:26

Quite a lot of retirements though ahead of him.

• AldoH said on 25th May 2014, 18:12

Probably, but he gambled successfully with the chances of yellow flags and was able to keep consistency throughthe whole race. Why is this so difficult to admit? What you say applies also to Bianchi and everyone is going wild about him.