2014 German Grand Prix second practice
Lewis Hamilton edged team mate Nico Rosberg by 0.024 seconds as hot conditions pushed track temperatures up to a blistering 58C.
Drivers were repeatedly warned to cool their cars during the 90 minute session. Brakes were a particular concern – Rosberg’s smoking heavily after he pulled up behind Hamilton in the pits at one point.
Both Caterhams suffered technical problems during the session. Marcus Ericsson came to a stop early on and Kamui Kobayashi had a small fire at the rear of his car which required attention from the marshals.
The two Red Bull drivers were urged to cool the left-hand side of their cars through Hockenheim’s fast right-hand turns. But Daniel Ricciardo was able to lap within a tenth of a second of the Mercedes drivers.
Kimi Raikkonen was fourth-quickest for Ferrari followed by a trio of Mercedes-powered cars: Felipe Massa sandwiched by the two McLarens.
2014 German Grand Prix
- Mercedes explain cause of Hamilton’s brake failure
- Cause of Hamilton’s brake failure ‘still unclear’
- Three-in-a-row for Bottas in Driver of the Weekend
- Hockenheim continues 2014′s run of top races
- 2014 German Grand Prix team radio transcript
2014 F1 practice sessions
- Alonso edges Ricciardo as Mercedes keep a low profile
- Hamilton hits the top, Maldonado hits the wall
- Alonso leads Mercedes pair in first practice
- Hamilton quickest as gearbox glitch hits Rosberg
- Rosberg edges delayed Hamilton in Mercedes one-two
Image © Daimler/Hoch Zwei