2014 Hungarian Grand Prix first practice
Lewis Hamilton had a margin of almost two-tenths of a second over team mate Nico Rosberg at the end of the first 90 minutes of running at the Hungaroring.
Ferrari took up their usual Friday morning position as ‘best of the rest’ – but unusually it was Kimi Raikkonen, not Fernando Alonso, who got closest to the times set to the Mercedes drivers.
Daniel Ricciardo had been the quickest non-Mercedes driver before an unspecified technical problems consigned him to the Red Bull garage.
Team mate Sebastian Vettel therefore took the fifth-fastest time, albeit almost one-and-a-half seconds slower than Hamilton, and complaining about car’s power delivery on more than one occasion.
Max Chilton’s first run came to a smoky end after an oil leak on his Marussia. That was cleared up in order for him to be able to rejoin the track just before the session came to an end.
2014 Hungarian Grand Prix
- Alonso wins close Hungary Driver of the Weekend vote
- Hungarian Grand Prix gets its highest-ever rating
- Mercedes defend Hamilton over team orders call
- 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix team radio transcript
- 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix fans’ video gallery
Image © Ferrari/Ercole Colombo