Lewis Hamilton may be big news in the back pages of newspapers but the increasingly strange details of industrial espionage between F1′s two top teams is commanding column inches in the front pages.
Every top sport from football to NASCAR knows the importance of controversy for staying in the limelight. So might this scandal actually raise F1′s profile?
Don’t get me wrong – the allegations being made are very serious and if anyone has stolen information from one team and passed it on to another they deserve to be punished.
But “every cloud has a silver lining” and I actually think this could have positive benefits for F1.
Not only does it keep the sport in the public eye but it highlights just how cut-throat competitive it is.
So is Stepney-gate a good thing?
- Debate: Predict the champion
- Extraordinary details in Ferrari-McLaren spy case
- McLaren linked o Ferrari espionage scandal
- Ferrari technician in criminal investigation
- Debate: Should Silverstone allow track invasions?
- Debate: Will you miss Magny-Cours?
- Debate: Will Renault win a race this year?
- Debate: Where should the United States Grand Prix be held?
- Debate: Can Lewis Hamilton be world champion?
- Debate: The best ITV F1 title theme tune
- Debate: When did you start watching F1?
- Join in more debates