Is Schumacher right to return? (Poll)

Michael Schumacher is back in F1

Michael Schumacher is back in F1

Michael Schumacher’s surprise return to F1 raises a lot of questions.

But the most telling one is this: why would the world’s most successful F1 driver risk his mammoth achievements on a comeback to a sport that has changed much in the three years since he left?

Is Schumacher right to make a comeback?

• No (25%)
  • No opinion (7%)

Total Voters: 4,070

Loading ... Loading ...

By the time the 2010 F1 season starts Schumacher will have passed his 41st birthday – old enough to be the father of several of his rivals.

Although the neck injury which kept him from returning this year has healed, will it be up to F1’s intense 19-race schedule for 2010?

He’s been away from F1 for three years so inevitably he’ll be out of practice compared to his rivals. Since he left F1 has adopted slick tyres (which he last used in 1997), severely reduced the downforce of the cars and, as of next year, banned refuelling. Four of the tracks will also be new to him.

Schumacher is staking an F1 career of unrivalled success – 40 more race wins and two more world championships than anyone else – on a return which could prove an embarrassing final chapter to his career.

Fellow multiple world champions like Jackie Stewart and Alain Prost left on a high as reigning title winners at the peak of their powers. Fernando Alonso denied Schumacher the opportunity to do that in 2006.

At worst, he could find himself in an uncompetitive car or discovering he hasn’t got the motivation to get the job done.

On the positive side, Schumacher will be re-creating his ultra-successful partnership with Ross Brawn – albeit at Mercedes instead of Ferrari. The team began development of their 2010 car early, so there’s every chance he will have a car which allows the winning machine to pick up where it left off.

Even in the latter stages of his career it rarely looked as though he had lost any of his skill. There were a few wobbles towards the end of 2004, which could be attributed to him having switched off after wrapping up the title with four races to spare. But his final race at Interlagos left us in no doubt he exited the sport at the top of his game.

Schumacher’s surprise return is a fantastic development for the sport. It’s hard not to be excited by the prospect of Schumacher in a Mercedes going up against Britain’s champions Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button in McLarens and Alonso in a Ferrari.

But is this the right move for Michael Schumacher? Cast your vote above and leave a comment below.

Schumacher and Mercedes

Image (C) Ferrari spa

92 comments on Is Schumacher right to return? (Poll)

1. philedog said on 23rd December 2009, 17:40

I voted no. The engineers are going to have to make some modifications to the car so his huge ego will fit and not cause problems with the balance. I have heard that his wife is not pleased with his decision and has threatened divorce. If his family is not important to him, he will only have himself to please. How much is enough? What has he left to prove? Why not teach his skills to the up and coming drivers?

Michael, give it a break, buy a team and try a different approach. You have done this and have the t-shirt, time for a completely different song and a new tune.

2. Pedel to the Vettel said on 23rd December 2009, 18:24

well IMO i dont think Vettel, Lewis and Rosberg in general shouldn’t consider thinking of schumacher as the 7 time world champion but a driver who has weaknesses like anybody else. They shouldn’t be scared of him of sorts because Alonso did beat him 2 years in a row before he retired so he is beatable.

I’m more scared of Alonso in His Ferrari saying “I’m now at my peak driving abilty and this Ferrari will proove it etc…..” it really does give me the ***** of him stopping vettel to win a world title next year.

I’m just not 100% sure of schumi yet and how he still fares against the young guns of F1. But he says he is mentally 100% fit again……… thats like saying “I wasn’t in a proper state of mind when i lost to Alonso etc…” so im just thinking now that he sounds he is ok and sorts will he be the same guy in 00-05.

I just dont know what hat im going to wear at silverstone next year Red Bull? or Mercedes? “bangs head on the keyboard” I know i will just wear both and look like a tit.

My old favorite driver or my new favorite driver ffs i would have a mind meltdown if it came down to those 2 winning the title on the last race.

3. He’s gonna fall flat on his germanic face.

4. I’m glad he’s back. It’s been absolutely clear for months that Schumacher is itching to get back into an F1 car and racing, and it was quite clear that he wasn’t absolutely convinced retiring was the right thing to do in the first place.

If it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work, but if he has the passion, why not?

5. José Baudaier said on 23rd December 2009, 21:08

If it’s gonna be good for him I don’t know. But it sure will be good for us. To see the old legend race against all the great younger drivers we have now, it will be great. Hope F1 is able to have like 4 or 5 competitive teams, so we can see all good drivers fighting for wins.

6. Vincent said on 23rd December 2009, 21:33

I believe michael will still win wdc with the help of ross brawn. also good for f1 because he’s popular even to those who are non f1 fans. maybe do a same ‘michael’ in nba.

7. Look, while there is something to be said for bowing out at the top of your game, if Schuey wants to make a comeback then why shouldn’t he? If he is hopelessly embarassing and blundering around at the back of the field it is not going to affect in any way his earlier acheivements. I don’t even think it will blight his reputation, except for maybe some real diehard anti-Schu fans.

But personally, I do not beleive for a second that he would even entertain a comeback if he didn’t think he was still capable of winning. None of the F1 drivers are out there to come second, and I highly doubt Schuey will prove any different. And what’s more, I beleive he is still capable of winning.

Whichever way it turns out, it’s going to be a hell of a ride !

8. F1NATIC said on 24th December 2009, 0:47

personally I think Schumi’s comeback is great and after years of political scandals hopefully now people will be talking more about the action on the track. it will be great to see him duel it out with some of the young talent and old foes at the track once again. all the changes that f1 has undergone will now truly demonstrate his talent in comparison to the rest. I doubt he will dominate, but after a couple of races he should be well in the pace of the front runners.
    Yet my Ferrari fan side cant approve his comeback with Mercedes. but that aside, it is the part of the dream team, him, ross brawn…hmmm, but look out John Todt is now FIA president jaja

9. I think its not only fun and excitement that led him race again but also its something that risk takers do and eventually most of the time they succeed…Schumacher is that kinda a person

10. wasiF1 said on 24th December 2009, 1:35

Does he have a three years contract with the team?
    I think he did this for the love of the sports,even his ‘family’ Ferrari could do nothing to keep him with them.

But look at these now we have young boys like Nico,Lewis,Vettel,another Nico,Buemi & many others with the middle aged men like Alonso,Button,Nick & again many others with the old guns of Barrichello & Schumacher what else do you need in 2010?

I wonder what Massa will be thinking now he have to go wheel to wheel with his teacher!!

11. Sabine 'No Nothing' Kehm said on 24th December 2009, 2:09

It’s awesome that Schumacher is back.

He needs to race against some serious talent, in a season when the dominant cars could be fairly mixed. This is going to be the best display of driver talent over car we’ve seen since the early 90’s :)

12. jason said on 24th December 2009, 3:26

it’s the best Christmas present i as an f1 fan could have, he was forced to retire early to bring an inferior driver that had lackluster results in 20/20 hind sight. and it’s just poetic justice for him to have a seat for the team that brought him into f1 to sub for the Jordan team up from Mercedes sports car racing, he shall now come back and put all our arguing to an end about who is the best driver between schumi, alonzo, massa, hamelton, button to bad kimi could not be shown up by schumi as well . but also schumi will show the new class of drivers that all the complaints about overtaking is bullsh#t it’s an acquired and polished skill(one that trulli has yet to even begin to learn)

13. I don’t know if anybody has already said this, but I think that Rosberg is going to cry (quietly) in the end. I think he will definitely be the second man at Merc GP

14. Todfod said on 24th December 2009, 14:16

I personally wouldn’t call it a mistake or a bad decision. From my point of view, I get the pleasure of seeing the most overrated driver in f1 history make a comeback, get his ass kicked by a new league of quick and young drivers. I cant wait for next season, just to see the expression on the faces of Schumacher’s fans

15. As it is my first time here, i just want to say that i watch F1 since my age of 12 and i am now almost 40, so a long time ago, for me Shum. has the need for speed, but regarding if his decision to be back to F1 is a good one, i have serious doubts, even knowing that i am a Ferrari fan and always liked the way Shum. drove, nevertheless i just hope the 2010 season will be more competitive and no so borring as the 2009.
    Happy Christmas for all the F1 fans around the world!