2011 Chinese Grand Prix championship points

7 Toro Rosso 4
8 Force India 4
9 Lotus 0
10 Williams 0
11 Virgin 0
12 HRT 0

Detailed breakdown of the championship standings so far: 2011 F1 statistics: Championship points

2011 Chinese Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Chinese Grand Prix articles

36 comments on 2011 Chinese Grand Prix championship points

1. Eggry (@eggry) said on 17th April 2011, 9:55

Massa did really solid race. Alonso was also good. but 2 stop was mistake. Anyway I’m happy with no-vettel-win race!

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 17th April 2011, 10:23

As an Alonso fan, I can admit that he was terrible today. Probably one of his poorest performances since he has joined Ferrari. Massa was a whole lot better, and if the tyres had a little more life in them, I’m sure he could have finished on the podium.

Webber was the driver of the race for me. Unbelievable race pace. Congratulations to Lewis, I’m not a huge fan of his, but I’m just glad to see someone else take a win.

• Kev (@kev) said on 17th April 2011, 11:05

I can’t understand Ferrari’s pit strategy. When you have two drivers fighting for top5 positions why don’t you put them on different strategies to check its usefulness. How did they come to a conclusion that 2-stop was the way to go.

I mean they were a little faster than Rosberg n the first stint and then Rosberg pitted and took 2s of a single lap. They should have pitted Alonso when he lost two positions in a single lap to the Maccas. Also Alonso fight with Schumi cost him a lot of time to make the two stop work.

The mechanics at the pit-stop also seem lethargic. I guess Ferrari have the slowest pit-stop of the top5 teams.

Doesn’t take a genius to identify that they are losing 4-8 seconds in pit-stop issues itself.

The last time they did a brilliant pit-stop was for Alonso at Monza 2010!

• dennis (@dennis) said on 17th April 2011, 20:42

After the race Martin Whitmarsh said that McLaren was going to do a 2-stop strategy as well. So I expect that from their calculations it was the fastest way to attack the race. The tyres must have degraded a lot faster than expected, so they switched.

Back in the days it was usually a Ross Brawn thing to simply change the strategy on the fly as quick as possible. Kudos to McLaren for making this work. Ferrari apparently missed the train. I can see how they thought it might work out for Massa…

2. Sam said on 17th April 2011, 9:56

Vettel is stretching his lead

3. Trent (@perf) said on 17th April 2011, 9:58

Didn’t Alonso, at some point, use DRS at the wrong part of the track?

4. angel13aw said on 17th April 2011, 10:07

I am alonso fan.Yes and gain andvantage.i see penalty and it’s right

• Solo (@solo) said on 17th April 2011, 13:06

It depends. I don’t like the guy but if he didn’t push the button and the wing just open by itself then there is no reason for him to get a penalty. If he actually tried to take advantage of the software problem and he did press the button then yes he should get one.

• dennis (@dennis) said on 17th April 2011, 20:47

That depends as well.
        If the thing got up because of the car malfunctioning it’s a team mess up. Similar to when they run the car underweight. It’s not the driver’s fault, but he will receive a penalty.
        I seriously don’t see the need for a penalty here, though. If he overtook Schumacher… Then yes. But please stop the random penalties. The one for Hamilton in Malaysia was ridicolous and even the penalty for Alonso was way too harsh for such a little mistake.

5. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 17th April 2011, 10:13

Mercedes making progress today, I wonder if they can keep this up, especially because they now have three weeks to solve those DRS gremlins.

• Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 17th April 2011, 10:17

Mercedes seemed at least equally fast as Mclaren, and easily better than Ferrari.

The fact that Schumi nearly passed Alonso at the end says it all, hopefully they keep it up ;)

• Eggry (@eggry) said on 17th April 2011, 10:26

I don’t think they’re easily better than Ferrari. Ferrari’s 2 stop strategy was mistake.

• Kev (@kev) said on 17th April 2011, 10:31

The pecking order is not yet proven. RB are ahead by miles followed by Macca. Ferrari vs Merc vs Renault seems to be confusing. With further upgrades coming on the way to Turkish GP, things could be more clear.

I have a feeling Ferrari is just ahead of MercGP looking at their first stint with Qualifying tires and full load.

• I think pace is pretty much as per the constructors championship order.

Turkey upgrades will make big differance.
            I suppose it’s whether McLaren can make more time on their new concept to RBR’s development of their wel understood concept.

Also gremlin fixes.

6. Oliver said on 17th April 2011, 11:40

Unseen by anyone, Kobayashi did manage to score a point for Sauber again.

7. Dan Newton (@dan-newton) said on 17th April 2011, 14:54

Team Lotus have jumped Williams. Oh dear oh dear oh dear…..sad times indeed for the third most successful team in F1.

8. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 17th April 2011, 20:59

I’d like to think Mercedes were ranking higher than they are…but when I look at it I don’t see how they could do much better than at least beating Renault!