Vote for your British Grand Prix driver of the weekend

Debates and Polls

Start, Silverstone, 2011

Start, Silverstone, 2011

Who was the most impressive driver throughout the British Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the British Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the British Grand Prix weekend:

Fernando Alonso – Had the pace to challenge Vettel even without Red Bull’s pit stop problem.

Mark Webber – Put one over Vettel in qualifying and ignored Red Bull’s instructions not to race him.

Lewis Hamilton – Back to his best: great overtaking moves early on and brilliantly rebuffed Massa’s late attack.

Nico Rosberg – Did his usual quiet but solid job.

Sergio Perez – An excellent drive by the rookie for his best result yet.

Compare all the drivers

Review what happened to each driver over the race weekend and compare their performances with their team mates using the links below:

Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Renault: Nick Heidfeld and Vitaly Petrov
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Pastor Maldonado
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen
HRT: Daniel Ricciardo and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Virgin: Timo Glock and Jerome d’Ambrosio

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most throughout the British Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the British Grand Prix weekend?

• Sebastian Vettel (2%)
  • Mark Webber (8%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (22%)
  • Jenson Button (1%)
  • Fernando Alonso (53%)
  • Felipe Massa (1%)
  • Michael Schumacher (5%)
  • Nico Rosberg (0%)
  • Nick Heidfeld (0%)
  • Vitaly Petrov (0%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Pastor Maldonado (0%)

European Grand Prix result

Fernando Alonso was voted the best driver of the European Grand Prix weekend:

1. Fernando Alonso – 32.6%
2. Sebastian Vettel – 27.6%
3. Jaime Alguersuari – 25.7%

Rate the Race: British Grand Prix

Don’t forget to cast your vote in the ‘rate the race’ poll as well:

2011 British Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 British Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images

156 comments on Vote for your British Grand Prix driver of the weekend

1 2 3
  1. James (@jamesf1) said on 11th July 2011, 18:00

Narain Karthikeyan had a storming race this weekend… ;) Cant believe the overtakes he made!

2. mantolwen (@mantolwen) said on 11th July 2011, 18:04

Alonso for me. Previous victories against Vettel haven’t been as dominant as this. He was helped by the pit stop, but he kept pulling away. With Ferrari improving in previous races, I expect to see more from him in the remainder of the season.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 11th July 2011, 18:43

Agreed. Webber was great over the weekend as well, but a terrible start and not being able to make the move on Vettel lost my vote. Has to be Alonso.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 11th July 2011, 20:31

Yeah, easy choise this time. Webber beat Vettel to pole and called Horners bluf. Vettel snatched the lead at the start and kept Webber behind in the end and kept them both on track.

Maldonado had a stunning qualification but his Williams faded away after that. DiResta’s cool crashed with Sutils tyres being prepared.
        Kobayashi had some nice moves, but it was a bit rough today. Perez did a very good job again to pop up in 7th. Both Mercedes cars look less hopeless. Massa had some solid moves and a very nice scrap at the end. Shame about the pitstop and debris wreaking his floor.
        It goes to Alonso, who got most out of qualifying the car would allow and won convincingly.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 11th July 2011, 21:20

I agree with what all of you have said, Alonso for me too.

Hamilton by the way had a great race, did all he could there, but he didn’t do it on Saturday. I think that actually Button did a really good job getting 4th on the grid on Saturday; his race was also solid until his team let him down. But compared to Alonso, this weekend, he loses out.

• Dan Smith said on 11th July 2011, 19:17

I say this as a Hamilton fan: Alonso’s drive was stunning and it reminded me of some of the all-time F1 greats. I was in complete shock at what he was able to do once he took the lead, and at a circuit with several high speed corners nonetheless. This was arguably the drive of the season.

He benefited from Vettel’s pit stop, but that shouldn’t go against him when considering who the best driver was. Alonso’s pace was so impressive that Horner believed Alonso would have won regardless of Vettel’s pit stop (BBC F1 Forum).

There were some good drives today, notably Hamilton’s, but Alonso was by far the best driver of the day.

• bananarama said on 11th July 2011, 20:27

Alonso is in an impressive shape for quite a while now. Just look at the drivers of the weekend votes for the last I don’t know, 20 races or so and Alonso is the name that (almost) always comes up. Really hope he will get another one or two titles before he retires.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 11th July 2011, 20:37

Alonso. Ferrari ain’t Red Bull but he kept their pace.

• Pink Peril (@pink-peril) said on 13th July 2011, 3:32

Alonso’s drive was awesome, when he is on form no one can touch him. Agree with all the statements above. In any other circumstance I would have voted for him without even thinking about it, but I voted for Webber just for having the cojones to ignore team orders. Oh, and for getting pole of course, and keeping Vettel honest.

3. robbiepblake (@driftin) said on 11th July 2011, 18:06

Alonso, but I voted Hamilton because I’m feeling biased today.

• Laranja Mecanica said on 11th July 2011, 21:15

Who “brilliantly rebuffed Massa’s late attack” by ramming him out of the track, I guess with an onboard bazooka he would have been even more brilliant. Yup, my vote is also for Hamilton as the best demolition derby pilot. I would vote him as the worst F1 pilot ever if only he was one of them.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 11th July 2011, 21:34

Like Stefano Domenicali said, that’s racing.

• Bleeps_and_Tweaks (@bleeps_and_tweaks) said on 11th July 2011, 23:07

• Puffy (@puffy) said on 12th July 2011, 8:34

I agree that it’s racing and was fantastic to see such great wheel-to-wheel racing from both those drivers. But I still certainly wouldn’t characterise breaking too late and sliding into the side of the car trying to get passed as a “brilliant rebuff”. A great drive from Hamilton none the less.

For me though, the race has to go to Alonso, fantastic drive from him, even without the mistake made by the redbull pit crew I feel he would have probably taken it, we were robbed of an interesting battle *sigh*. Now if only Ferrari can find a way to not compromise Massa’s strategy at the same time.

• Andy G (@toothpickbandit) said on 12th July 2011, 9:03

How did he brake too late? He braked before Massa. If Massa wanted to get past him he should have recognised Hamilton was going to go wide and undercut him, rather than cut across him at the corner leaving Hamilton with nowhere to go. Complete racing incident.

• Puffy (@puffy) said on 12th July 2011, 9:16

Certainly it was a racing incident, just saying I wouldn’t have categorised it as a “brilliant rebuff”. Not to say it wasn’t good and exciting racing.

Looking at the incident, Massa leaves plenty of room for Hamilton, Hamilton slides into Massa. This indicates to me, that Hamilton braked too late, had to break too hard in order to make the corner and locks up as a result. You can clearly see the lock up on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL9MKP_1GX0 starting at a bout 0:48

• SkinBintin (@skinbintin) said on 12th July 2011, 9:54

All I saw was a car that was low on fuel, having to come of the throttle early in to corners for several laps, having lost a LOT of tire temperature having an inside front wheel lock up on the kerb. Something that had been happening every lap for a few laps before hand too. Something, no doubt, Massa would have been aware of before making the move to pass.

For me, it’s a plain and simple racing incident. No need for ‘but Hamilton clearly braked too late blah blah’.

As Keith put it, a “brilliant rebuff”.

• Puffy (@puffy) said on 12th July 2011, 10:35

Thanks for the response, as you say, his tyres were probably quite cold by then, you certainly can’t fault him for pushing as hard as he can to defend his position. Let me state very clearly that this is not about assigning blame to anyone.

I’m confused though as to why everyone insists on stating that it was a racing incident as if I was arguing the fact, clearly it was a racing incident. But stating that it was a racing incident and then concluding that therefore it was a “brilliant rebuff” does not follow. I’m quite happy for someone to disagree with me and argue that it was in fact “brilliant” but at least argue that point instead of the strawman argument that I’m trying to put it down to anything but a racing incident.

• rob said on 12th July 2011, 10:22

Racing can be done without driving into a Ferrari too. Not the first time.

• Pink Peril (@pink-peril) said on 13th July 2011, 3:37

Interestingly, this reminded me of Kubica & Massa shoving each other off the track at China two years ago, I think it was. Most people at that time loved it & thought it was great racing, but now that Hamilton is involved the tables have turned somewhat. Not a criticism, just an observation.

• leotef (@leotef) said on 13th July 2011, 9:27

Haha, why don’t you say simply “I hate him”? No need to explain your hatred or despise on him.
        I don’t mean to take side though sort of Hammy fan. But the first thing I envisaged after the race was Alonso fan’s fever about how GREAT ALONSO was kind of floods of words which exactly happened.
        Interesting to hear that when he was fell behind earlier rounds, it was all to blame the car, I agree. Now with his first win, it’s not at all by virtue of its performance upgrade but all his almighty skill? Come on, then please explain his past performance with his almighty skill and gut with the same car level performance of Massa.
        I went for Hammy not b/c I’m his fan but b/c he showed more than some scenes- early on overtaking up to Almighty Alonso, two spin offs followed by quick recover, Holding off faster RBR by Vettel, and last show with Massa.
        Alonso showed his skill but it’s close to Vettel’s cruising when his car dominated the race.

4. George (@george) said on 11th July 2011, 18:08

I’m going for Hamilton, it was pretty close but Alonso having the win handed to him on a plate by Red Bull sways the balance. Hamilton had probably the hardest job to keep faster cars behind him and did very well, plus he fulfilled my prediction after qualifying :D.

Oh, and I know his qualifying was rubbish, but being a wet-dry one I’m willing to forgive him that.

• sam3110 (@sam3110) said on 11th July 2011, 18:12

So his quali was rubbish, he fell off the track at Brooklands more times than most, and didn’t finish on the podium, compared to Alonso who finished 20 seconds ahead of, and therefore dominated, the Red Bulls? Whether they made a pitstop error or not, Alonso was simply faster than anybody else, and only made two mistakes all weekend, going wide at Luffield, and being a Ferrari driver, as this clearly rubs many people up the wrong way!

• George (@george) said on 11th July 2011, 18:23

I’ve voted for Alonso plenty of times before, fact is he won because he had the fastest car (as he showed by pulling away from Vettel). They both did very well, I just feel Hamilton had to work harder to finish where he did.

• Todfod (@todfod) said on 11th July 2011, 18:53

No he didn’t. Always look at Felipe’s performance to get a more balanced potential of the car’s pace.

• Mike (@mike) said on 12th July 2011, 5:36

By that logic Liuzzi must be the greatest driver to ever hit the track… Neither his team mates could touch him.

• George (@george) said on 11th July 2011, 19:35

I’d be more inclined to believe Alonso is getting consistently close to 100% of the car’s potential than Massa.

• truep1 (@truep1) said on 12th July 2011, 0:41

Do you really think the Ferrari is faster than the Red Bull? I wonder what Alonso would have done in the Red Bull.

• rob said on 12th July 2011, 10:24

Massa can’t get 100% out of the Ferrari if his strategy sucks.

• Klaas said on 11th July 2011, 21:08

Interesting this logic:
          1. The driver with the fastest car wins – nah, he doesn’t deserve it because he simply had the fastest car.
          2. A driver with a slower car wins – nah, he doesn’t deserve it because the guy with the faster car got unlucky and handed him the victory.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 11th July 2011, 21:30

Yep, as evidenced by 7 of the 9 races this year, to some people the winner can’t win.

• George (@george) said on 11th July 2011, 22:59

Well I didn’t say that, but it would still be possible.

1. It doesn’t take much thought to see why the fastest guy in the fastest car might not get the driver of the day award. Obviously someone behind him could do an amazing race, in which case the guy that should win winning isn’t a great achievement.

2. If the guy with the slower car is just tootling along in 3rd and the two in front of him crash then he’s getting a win for what would otherwise be a 3rd position, once again it’s possible somebody could have driven a better race than them.

Having said that, I have voted for Vettel a couple of times when he’s won this season, although it’s usually out of pity because no one else will.

• DVC said on 12th July 2011, 6:15

He could have made less hard work of it by not running off the track so many times.

Schumacher also did well to finish where he did, also duffed qualifying in tricky conditions, and also handicapped himself with a driving error.

I voted for neither of them.

• jake said on 12th July 2011, 22:31

For me, Silverstone showed one thing very clearly:

Hamilton and Alonso are the class of the field!

5. Hynee (@hynee) said on 11th July 2011, 18:09

It was a dominant win by Alonso in difficult conditions. He only gained about five seconds from Vettel’s pit stop error, and used the advantage gained well.

6. Stefanauss (@stefanauss) said on 11th July 2011, 18:15

Sebastien Vettel, because he didn’t win this time and F1F DOTD poll needs to make up to him for the previous episodes.

• 1 of the 3 said on 11th July 2011, 18:50

It was nice to see Pino Allievi on Rai Uno ask Domenicalli if the win was only down to the rules change. So my vote to Allievi for being a good journalist and asking the right questions.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 11th July 2011, 19:02

Good point. If Seb recovers from this weekend to win in front of his home crowd, he gets my vote automatically.

7. sw6569 (@sw6569) said on 11th July 2011, 18:16

Schumacher had a storming race despite his (in my opinion, unnecessary) penalty

8. Eggry (@eggry) said on 11th July 2011, 18:19

Ni brainer. Fernando Alonso.

9. Hallard said on 11th July 2011, 18:39

I want to say webber, for outqualifying Vettel; and for ignoring Red Bulls unnecessary team orders and having a go at his teammate towards the end. But he fumbled the start and made it easy for vettel to start dissapearing into the horizon, and vettel ultimately did get the best of him.

I want to say vettel, for driving an impressive race that he surely would have won if it had not been for the slow pit stop. But he did very little to prove his wheel-to-wheel skills in failing to pass the much slower Hamilton on-track. Also, having confirmation that he gets preferential treatment from the team takes some of the shine away from his performance.

I want to say Hamilton, for really outdriving his car in the race, making some great overtakes, defending firmly but fairly from Massa (even Massa agreed), and bringing a decent haul of points in spite of a poor showing from the McLaren team (really? You thought lewis would get stuck in traffic in mixed conditions, so you short-fuelled him? Really?!). But he really shouldn’t have qualified 10th to begin with, even if it was more of a team error than driver error; and he had too many off-track excursions this time out.

I guess that leaves me with Alonso. Yes, red bull gave him this win on a platter with their pit stop error. And yes, lewis really did him a big favor by neutralizing the threat from vettel (although I’m not convinced Vettel could have been a threat at that point even if he had caught alonso). But alonso really did the maximum this weekend, both in Q and the race, to put himself in a position to benefit from red bull’s error, and he didn’t really make any mistakes. Credit where credit’s due.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 11th July 2011, 18:54

I entirely agree with the first 3 paragraphs and although undecided can’t see a fault with the fourth so: +1

• dfketr said on 11th July 2011, 19:38

i dont think hamilton outdrove his car, he went off the race track a couple of times unlike other drivers, and in the first part of the race he was running with an engine set to maximum performance mode, which he paid for later in the race. also i dont think he defended fairly on massa, only massa doesnt want to start a media frenzy so was diplomatic at the end, hamiltons move to regain the position was just like the moves he has been penalised for earlier in the year, ie not halfway up the inside of the opposing car, but still going for the closing gap – the collision made massa lose momentum for the next part of the chicane. on the replay you could see hamilton locking his brakes, and he still couldnt slow the car down to avoid hitting massa, hitting massas car helped him slow down, and then was able to straighten his car quicker then massa who was pushed wide for the next apex. also massa gave hamilton enough room, it only looks to some people like he didnt because they collided, but it is hamilton that does the colliding not massa.

• Simon said on 11th July 2011, 19:52

Massa made the late brave overtaking attempt, Hamilton had cold brakes from having to coast.

Even Massa himself saw no wrong in what happened, so I think on this occasion it’s pretty clear cut. Sometimes racing incidents are just that, and the racing is better for them.

• AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 11th July 2011, 20:00

Hamilton didn’t try to repass him, he was on the inside line defending. He was already on the brakes when Massa went around the outside of him. I know this is an over-used expression, but here he really could not make his car disappear. Finally, I don’t think Massa losing out to Hamilton in the final corner can be attributed to the wheel banging they did. Massa had already straightened out from their touch, and just got massive oversteer after he seemed to have misjudged the final corner.

• Hallard (@hallard) said on 12th July 2011, 0:10

Wrong. The team short fuelled him because they didnt think he’d be able to maintain the pace he did. Whitmarsh said so. And even if you dont believe whitmarsh, what makes you think Hamilton has some kind of extra-thirsty-mega-boost engine mode that only he uses, and the other drivers simply let him past because they know he’ll “pay for it later”?

Massa hadnt seem too worried about causing a “media frenzy” with his criticisms of Lewis’ driving in the previous few weeks, had he? While you’re entitled to your opinion on whether or not you think his defense was fair, I think you’re being unreasonable. Watch the onboard again. Massa tried to overtake on the outside and turned in very sharply and left Lewis very little room. Lewis locked up under braking trying to avoid hitting him, but was unsuccesful. On top of that nobody – be it Domenicalli, the race stewards, or Massa himself – seems to share your opinion. It was a racing incident, full stop.

• rob said on 12th July 2011, 10:32

Massa is not the driver to make a big fuss out of it. Or to call his opponents stupid, like others do.

• Hallard said on 12th July 2011, 18:34

Like I said, Massa has been highly critical of Lewis’ driving in recent weeks (to the media), so if he felt that he was done wrong in silverstone, it stands to reason that he would have said so. You guys dont need to fight his battles for him.

• Jeffrey Powell said on 13th July 2011, 16:00

Quite correct racing drivers should not drive their cars so hard it is unsporting and causes constertnation amongst the tacticians.All drivers should drive at the prescribed speeds as failure to do so can result in genuine excitement,which god forbid might cause older viewers hearts to race,this is of course contrary to health and safety, and I for one am totally against this sought of behaviour.Drivers putting undue strain on the superbly crafted Pirelli tyres should be castigated and made to stand in the corner with a Dunce hat on for the next two races allowing more carefull and responsible drivers to find their rightfull position in the World Championship.

• jasonpoly said on 11th July 2011, 19:47

Excellent post, this is a close one, but I have to put it as

1. Hamilton
      2. Vettel
      3. Alonso

Alonso had the fastest car and won. Most of Hamilton’s errors were actually team errors, including the choice to go out with used soft tires in quali 3 having run with them in quali 1.

Just to make Alonso look even better, Ferrari completely screwed Massa on strategy.

Vettel was just edged by Webber in qualifying, but dominated him during the race despite a kers issue and Webber getting the better pit stop calls.

Hamilton did run off the road a couple of times, but it was at a time when he was driving at the absolute limit (look at his speed compared to Button) and a corner where it didn’t actually matter that much. He lost less time going off than he gained by lapping faster than his team mate. He also made the most overtakes of any driver I saw in the top 10, and possibly of any driver in the race.

• Hallard (@hallard) said on 12th July 2011, 0:13

I dont blame you for voting for Hamilton, especially considering that I loathe Alonso, and you make good points there. I just felt like I couldnt vote for anybody other than Fernando without showing bias.

10. Olivier42 (@olivier42) said on 11th July 2011, 18:51

Alonso didn’t do anything special. His team beat Red Bull in the pits. Give Ferrari the “team of the weekend” award – very well deserved. They accomplished what Mclaren and Red Bull couldn’t. Vettel also was able to build a cushion (on the inters) – nothing special there. Going by all the previous Driver of the Weekend Polls where Vettel didn’t win the award even if he was “flawless” and won the race, Alonso shouldn’t win here either. Without the pit stop issues, I expect Vettel would have won.
    My vote for this race would have to go to Hamilton – gutsy moves to come back to the front after a bad qualifying session and a smart race considering his fuel load issues.
    Slow clap for Webber for not managing to pass Vettel at the end. Way to show you’re the #2 driver!

11. David-A (@david-a) said on 11th July 2011, 18:52

Fernando Alonso for me. Once again dragging his car into positions it probably shouldn’t have been in. Yes, the Red Bull pit error gave him the lead, but after that, he pulled away from Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel at a second a lap. That’s why he’s got as many wins as Sir Jackie Stewart.

12. Todfod (@todfod) said on 11th July 2011, 18:58

Fernando Alonso. No doubt about it.

I’m actually ticked off that Red Bull botched Vettel’s pitstop, as I’m pretty sure Fernando would have overtaken him anyway.

13. baldgye (@baldgye) said on 11th July 2011, 19:09

Alonso should and will win, but I had to vote for Hammy, he gave it his all and still managed to get 4th despite massive fuel problems

14. Saimonix (@saimonix) said on 11th July 2011, 19:16

I voted for MSC because I wanted him to be noticed, look how fast he was, despite starting behing Rosberg and stop – and – go penalty he finished in points only about 16 seconds behind. Hope he maintains the form for Germany and avoids mistakes like that collision.

• BBT (@bbt) said on 11th July 2011, 19:44

or is that…
      ‘I voted MSC because I like to see crashes and he keeps providing satisfaction in that area’.

Only joking, but I don’t know how anyone can vote for someone that makes a big error resulting crashing into someone. Although his overall pace was good but so was Di Restas in a worse car.

• Saimonix (@saimonix) said on 11th July 2011, 23:05

Nah, don’t worry, crashes aren’t something I like seeing :-)
        I explained my choice, and for best drive overall I would pick Perez or Alonso. I think Heidfeld also earned a notice, but his performance wasn’t good enough at Saturday.

• RIISE (@riise) said on 11th July 2011, 21:52

Michael did have a great race, his pace was good and like I said in another article the crash with Kobayashi could’ve happened to anyone.

Still went for Fernando though. =D

15. dyslexicbunny (@dyslexicbunny) said on 11th July 2011, 19:21

I voted Webber. I don’t think (or expect) he’ll be a crowd favorite though. But I think he deserves credit for his qualifying performance and his push at the end against orders.

Nods to Alonso as well. Did well in changing quali conditions and to pull away from Vettel.

1 2 3