2013 Malaysian Grand Prix grid

Caterham

*Three-place penalty for impeding Nico Rosberg

2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

Browse all 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix articles

109 comments on 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix grid

1. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:06

Ferrari’s best average position on the grid since Monza 2010.

2. David-A (@david-a) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:07

Err, wow.

Very good job from Massa too.

3. Aditya F. Yahya (@adityafakhri) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:07

Vettel 1st, Raikkonen 7th. dejavu?

4. zicasso (@zicasso) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:07

Vettel’s made a good call. The fresh tyres made the difference!

• Adam86 said on 23rd March 2013, 9:11

Shame for him about the Ferrari’s making the same call – only question is if both can pass him or just 1.

5. AldoG said on 23rd March 2013, 9:08

I am massively happy to see Massa on the front row, and ahead of Fernando for the fifth race in a row. That was massive, for sure, I kid you not.

6. Adam86 said on 23rd March 2013, 9:09

Hamilton ran out of tyres there in the end, but the Merc definately looks the 2nd quickest in qualy spec the way Rosberg was getting it round earlier – be interested to see how much the race pace moves on this week now they’ll be on a standard strategy from the start.

Should be a nice clear track for Lewis at the start anyway with Ferrari shooting off in front and Webber playing road block again.

7. Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:10

From the looks of it Vettel was struggling in Q1 & 2, so to get pole may have been purely a result of his wet weather driving and the great decision on his side of the garage to jump to a new set of inters. Either way, fantastic lap – 9 tenths ahead of Massa!

• Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:11

@vettel1
      I have to say, I don’t like this guy, but 1 second/lap faster than anyone else in a wet qualy session is very impressive. Props to Seb.

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:12

I think VET was saving tires in Q1 and Q2.

• K0V4LA1NEN said on 23rd March 2013, 9:18

yeah i think he, sutil, raikkonen and someone else in the top 10 have an extra pair of tyres.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:23

@mike-dee – it was said that in Q2 he went out on a used set of mediums that is very true.

@jleigh – interesting proposal: usually it works that downforce prevents the tyre from sliding across the track so actually conserving them, but since graining is more of a factor now perhaps the tyre is literally being pulled apart due to the sheer force going through it when it corners.

• Jake (@jleigh) said on 23rd March 2013, 12:07

@vettel1 Seb has said that he feels there car is a lot faster than the tyres. So much so that apparently RB are asking for Pirelli to reintroduce the 2012 tyres. (Apparently Merc are too which I find odd)

• @jleigh – if it continues I can see them reverting to an Abu Dhabi 2012-esque set-up; that worked very well with the tyres and was great for overtaking if Red Bull lost qualifying pace because of it, but I do think Pirelli have overstepped the mark this year – I like the extra challenge, but it shouldn’t have such a big influence as they have now.

• Jake (@jleigh) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:19

For me it shows that the RB has too much downforce for the tyres. All through winter and practice sessions all I’ve heard is how incredibly planted the RB looks, but due to the tyres, they haven’t necessarily been able to get the full potential of their car. In the wet however, the tyres are no longer a limit and all the downforce makes them mega quick. If Webber had changed as well, I feel we would be seeing a dominant RB front row.

• Eggry (@eggry) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:28

I heard sort of downforce saturation last year. If that’s true in Red bull’s case. then dry session would be headache for them. I don’t know the race would be wet or dry though.

• @vettel1 and the cars working range makes it pretty favourable in colder conditions as Mark told earlier, they could both be leading again the pack and Raikkonen could had started 7th again. Strange patterns early days, even in very differing scenarios, coincidence.

8. Eggry (@eggry) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:10

Very promising grid for great race considering their race pace. Good.

9. Aimal (@aimalkhan) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:11

Alonso for the win tomorrow.

10. Daniel Fidelis (@d-f1delis) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:13

“So Fernando, Felipe is faster than YOU!” =x

• nidzovski (@nidzovski) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:16

:))) +1

• Shreyas Mohanty (@) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:20

@d-f1delis : I don’t understand why some people are so “anti-Alonso”. He is a great racer – better than Massa – and he will finish the race ahead of Massa.

• Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:23

I don’t understand why some people are so “anti-Alonso”.

Mostly bitterness, people still like using the old Germany 2010 joke; even though the exact same happened in Hockenheim back in 2008, yet you didn’t hear anyone prancing around in their panties when Heikki let Lewis by.

Yes, I also believe that Alonso is going to finish ahead tomorrow in the race, as usual.

• John H (@john-h) said on 23rd March 2013, 13:13

I’m sorry, but you wheel this Heikki example everytime this comes up. The difference is that he was not told on the radio to move over, unless you have some other evidence? I also don’t remember Hamilton coming on the radio saying “this is ridiculous” at any point before the move – so no – it is not the same thing and that is why people are not ‘prancing around in their panties’ at this point in time, or never have done in the past (or at least, not in relation to this issue).

I have actually really warmed to your favourite driver these last few years, but it’s not bitterness that people wheel out the joke – it’s the fact that a blatant and illegal team order was given over the radio after Alonso had complained which shattered Massa’s confidence for the rest of the season and resigned him to permanent number 2 status.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 23rd March 2013, 14:41

Also, that Hamilton went on to overtake 2 (?) other drivers and win the race while Kovalainen was capable of sod all in the same race shows that the circumstances were hugely different. Before the team-orders rule was dropped there was 2 ways for drivers to swap positions- common sense, barely even requiring prodding from the team, and unnecessary, obviously against the entire intention of the rule race-fixing. At that point in the season there was no reason for Ferrari to blatantly fiddle with the order of the 2 leading cars.

• Daniel Fidelis (@d-f1delis) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:25

I’m not “Anti-Alonso”. I just hate this political(“part of the game”/”team work”/whatever)… Is he better than Massa ? Definitely. But let he show it on the track.

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:27

He is very much a great racer, but you cannot say he will finish ahead of Massa – that implies there is a 100% chance he will, which is far from reality. Sure, he likely will but Massa was very good in the first two stints of the race in Australia remember and was keeping Alonso at bay…

• Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:32

@vettel1
            Unless something very strange happens, I think it’s safe to say Alonso will very likely finish ahead tomorrow. He’ll have better long-run pace, and will be given the optimal strategy.

• Arrrang (@arrrang) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:39

@vettel1 Max do you think Vettel can keep Hamilton behind tomorrow for the whole race?;)

• puneeth Bharath (@puneethvb) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:45

@Vettel1

You are absolutely right that there is no way we can guarantee that Alonso will finish ahead of Massa,… Having said that I expect him to finish ahead of Massa though… But you never know.. Fernando could run into trouble or Felipe might have one hell of a race.. If Alonso cant win it .. I would be really happy to see Massa or Hamilton winning..

And the first two stints in Australia… not sure why people keep saying Massa was outpacing Alonso… As far as I can remember Alonso was only about a sec behind Massa and that gap never increased… and we all saw once Alonso got ahead he was quite a bit faster than Massa..

• Max Jacobson (@vettel1) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:51

@kingshark

and will be given the optimal strategy.

I’d like to hope Ferrari won’t shoot their own driver in the foot so early on, especially considering Massa seems to be a match for Alonso for now. Indeed though, as I’ve said it is likely Alonso will finish ahead but far from a foregone conclusion.

• @arrrang – I think he has more pressing concerns than Hamilton honestly! ;)

• zicasso (@zicasso) said on 23rd March 2013, 10:46

@arrang – Hamilton ruined his changes of having a good start tomorrow by trying too hard to get the pole. His tyres are most likely the worst out the front runners.

• Arrrang (@arrrang) said on 23rd March 2013, 10:58

@vettel1 – you know I was reffering more to the race situation- AFTER the first corner;) but with all honesty we will have a great fight for the win tomorrow!

• Arrrang (@arrrang) said on 23rd March 2013, 11:01

@ziccaso they will probably all start on fresh hard tires.

• @arrrang – as was I – I think Ferrari are still a greater threat! ;) Here’s hoping, and I would like to see tyres not being the influential factor also.

• Pamphlet (@pamphlet) said on 23rd March 2013, 10:12

Because he may very well not do it. Do remember that Massa was better than him from the second half of 2006 to the middle of 2009, as well as in the second half of last year.

11. robfff said on 23rd March 2013, 9:15

Good strategy call from Massa to cross the line after Alonso on a quickly evolving track.

12. Diceman (@diceman) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:16

Really glad for Felipe, I hope he can fight for the win in the race. Also very great job from Bianchi, There’s no doubt who is the king of the backmarkers.

13. Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:22

Dang it ! I wanted to have an aggressive prediction and went with HAM for pole . Got my hopes up when he had provisional pole and then I lost it when he was beaten by red bull and the ferraris . My mistake .should have gone with VET and made a safe prediction. Congrats Vettel , but you will get beaten tomorrow :P

14. wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:24

Alonso underperforms again… if I were Domenicali I would elevate Massa to no.1 status..

15. JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 23rd March 2013, 9:32

I will be genuinly happy to see Felipe win tomorrow. Ferrari have been very quick off the line recently, so I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see one of them leading after T1. But it would be very good news for F1 if it was Massa.