Which other racing series are you following this year?

Debates and polls

The Formula One season is up and running but there’s a who world of other motor racing action to enjoy during the year.

With major new international championships being launched, more manufacturers returning to racing, current F1 teams blooding new talent in junior categories and former F1 stars plying their trade in new series there’s almost too much racing action to take in during the year ahead.

F1 Fanatic Live will follow an increased number of selected championships this year and F1 Fanatic’s groups are getting new content and functionality for different racing categories ahead of the new season.

But what will you be watching? Have your say below.

IndyCar

Juan Pablo Montoya, Penske, Barber Motorsport Park, 2014Two former Indianapolis 500 winners and F1 stars return: Juan Pablo Montoya for a full season with Penske and Jacques Villeneuve just for the big race – where NASCAR’s Kurt Busch will also appear. The 18 races in three months now include three double points rounds and a race on the Indianapolis road course.

Follow on F1 Fanatic live

World Endurance Championship

Porsche 919 Hybrid, Geneva Motor Show, 2014Porsche arrive to make it a three-way fight between their V4-engined 919, the Audi R18 e-tron quattro with its turbodiesel V6 and Toyota’s TS040 V8 – all bristling with cutting edge energy recovery technology. And there’s the added intrigue of how Mark Webber will enjoy his return to sports car racing.

Follow on F1 Fanatic live

World Rally Championship

Andreas Mikkelsen, Volkswagen Polo, WRC, Mexico, 2014Three of the 13 events are already in the books and Sebastien Ogier is leading the way as expected, though team mate Jari-Matti Latvala has also started the season well. Hyundai have returned to join Citroen and Ford’s attempt to catch the flying Volkswagens.

Moto GP

Marc Marquez, Honda, Sepang, Moto GP, 2014A turbulent winter which included some very dubious rule making was finally left behind yesterday as the new season began in spectacular fashion. Jorge Lorenzo stole the lead on the first lap then threw it away, leaving Marc Marquez and Valentino Rossi to a gripping duel for victory. Seventeen more races like that one, please.

GP2

Raffaele Marciello, Racing Engineering, GP2, Bahrain, 2014Ferrari, McLaren, Williams and Caterham all have junior drivers in the field in the shape of Raffaele Marciello, Stoffel Vandoorne, Felipe Nasr and Alexander Rossi respectively. Force India are also backing the Hilmer team as F1′s foremost feeder series has one of its bet line-ups for years.

Follow on F1 Fanatic live

Formula Renault 3.5

Beitske Visser, Formula Renault 3.5, Motorland Aragon, 2014The uprated cars introduced two years ago, boasting more power plus a better implementation of DRS than F1, have helped make this a credible rival to GP2. For proof of that, look no further than reigning champion Kevin Magnussen who scored a podium on his F1 debut last week.

Follow on F1 Fanatic live

Formula Three

Jordan King, Carlin, British Formula Three, Nurburgring, 2014Still a valuable and relevant stepping-stone on the path to Formula One despite the emergence of GP3 as a competitor. While the FIA-backed European series goes from strength to strength the British championship is rebuilding after being forced to cut back to just four rounds last year.

GP3

Daniil Kvyat, GP3, Yas Marina, 2013Three of the four GP3 champions are already in F1 and the fourth – 2012 victor Mitch Evans – is plugging away in GP2. Last year’s car upgrade has strengthened its place on the ladder to F1, and in a further boost this year every round will support a grand prix.

Follow on F1 Fanatic live

DTM

Paul di Resta, Mercedes C-Class, DTMGreat cars and great drivers though the over-engineered racing (mandatory pit stops and DRS) too often fails to impress. The class of the field shines through, however, with young talent like Antonio Felix da Costa, Daniel Juncadella and Edoardo Mortara up against ex-F1 racers such as Paul di Resta and Timo Glock.

BTCC

2014 BTCC fieldA humongous 31-car field should ensure the British Touring Car Championship remains a crowd-pleaser. The welcome return of international talent to the series in the shape of Fabrizio Giovanardi and Alain Menu means there will be no fewer than seven champions on the grid.

Follow on F1 Fanatic live

WTCC

Citroen C-Elysee, WTCC, 2014The manufacturer contest will be between Honda and Citroen in cars built to new rules which should make for more exciting cars whether or not they’re moving. All eyes will be on multiple WRC champion Sebastien Loeb following his latest change of codes.

Australian V8 Supercars

Jamie Whincup, Holden, Melbourne, Australian V8 Supercars, 2014The new V8 Supercars championship got off to a thrilling start in Adelaide with new arrivals Volvo proving competitive right from the first round. The non-points F1 support races in Melbourne gave further indication that this year’s series won’t fail to excite.

NASCAR

Brad Keselowski, Denny Hamlin, Bristol, NASCAR, 2014Five races down, thirty-one still to go in NASCAR’s dauntingly long calendar. To keep the championship alive until the final rounds the organisers have introduced a complicated new points system. But finding tyres that could go the distance was more of a problem in yesterday’s race.

Formula E

Virgin Formula E car liveryA fascinating new addition the the international motor racing scene pits all-electric cars against each other on city-centre race tracks. But will it sustain interest once the novelty has worn off, and are they really serious about their naff ‘fanboost’ idea? All we be revealed in September.

Follow on F1 Fanatic live

World Rallycross Championship

Jacques Villeneuve, Albatec Peugeot 208, Lydden Hill, 2014Another new championship featuring explosively powerful cars racing on short, mixed-surface tracks in a series of heats. Top names including Jacques Villeneuve and Petter Solberg are already slated to feature in the inaugural 12-round series. Look out for a dedicated F1 Fanatic group soon.

Acceleration FA1

Acceleration FA1The new racing series just keep coming but the cars and premise of this one are familiar. The original generation A1 Grand Prix cars – which first saw action in 2005 – will be back for more nation-vs-nation action in a new ten-round European championship.

Over to you

Are you following any of these championships besides F1? What races do you always attend each year? And what about other series like Auto GP and Japan’s Super Formula?

Cast your votes below and tell us about your motor racing tastes beyond F1 in the comments.

Which other racing series are you following this year?

• IndyCar (38%)
  • World Endurance Championship (47%)
  • World Rally Championship (29%)
  • Moto GP (45%)
  • GP2 (38%)
  • Formula Renault 3.5 (20%)
  • Formula Three (9%)
  • GP3 (22%)
  • DTM (22%)
  • BTCC (23%)
  • WTCC (16%)
  • Australian V8 Supercars (21%)
  • NASCAR (14%)
  • Formula E (40%)
  • World Rallycross Championship (7%)
  • Acceleration FA1 (3%)
  • Other (Describe below) (8%)
  • None (6%)

Total Voters: 439

Loading ... Loading ...

An F1 Fanatic account is required in order to vote. If you do not have one, register an account here or read more about registering here. When this poll is closed the result will be displayed in stead of the voting form.

Debates and polls

Browse all debates and polls

Images © IndyCar/Chris Owens, Porsche, Volkswagen/McKlien, Red Bull/GEPA, GP2/LAT, Renault/Charlez, Mercedes, BTCC, British F3/Ebrey, GP3/LAT, Citroen, NASCAR/Getty, Gary Hawkins, Acceleration FA1

126 comments on Which other racing series are you following this year?

1. Tiomkin said on 24th March 2014, 15:08

None. switched to following Wrestling, the rules make more sense.

2. Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 24th March 2014, 15:21

Well, some of you can judge by my comments that I really dig NASCAR besides F1.

Other than that I will rather follow certain events than whole seasons of categories. I’m more like an event- and track-based guy.

So I’ll definitely root for Mark Webber and Porsche during the 24hrs of Le Mans, but I’ll probably not watch any other WEC round.

I’ll try to watch classics such as the GP of Long Beach and the Sonoma rounds of IndyCar (and for the latter, WTCC as well), but I’ll not follow their whole season.

I want to catch some hours of the Bathurst 1000, but no other rounds of the V8s.

I will watch a lot of BTCC around the classic tracks of Brands Indy and GP, Donington, Oulton Park (back to the Intl circuit, woo), and Knockhill, but I won’t be bother by the flat airfield tracks of Snetterton, Croft and indeed Silverstone.

3. Dan_the_McLaren_fan (@dan_the_mclaren_fan) said on 24th March 2014, 15:23

I voted Moto Gp and Formula 3.5, because I will try to watch all the races of these series. But I will definitely watch the Indy 500, and I might watch the Formula E, because I am curious.

4. David not Coulthard (@davidnotcoulthard) said on 24th March 2014, 15:25

I might follow WEC so I picked that, and I’ll probably watch MotoGP.

5. thetobs (@thetobs) said on 24th March 2014, 15:34

Moto GP, Formula E and WEC.

6. Jack (@jmc200) said on 24th March 2014, 15:38

I can’t get enough of DTM, the field is superb, the cars look and sound great, although sometimes the mandatory pit-stop rule seems a bit stupid, overall it’s my favourite racing series. Also, every race is streamed live on YouTube! I can’t recommend it enough! Obviously WEC is unbelievably good, P1 cars are as fast as F1 cars, and look cooler, but sometimes the race for the lead can be a dull. GP2 and 3 are always fun, and with a great feild this year. I hope someone really experienced doesn’t win again, like the last 2 years, it devalues the championship (though I do rate Leimer, Valsecchi less so). Might try and watch the Indy 500 this year, I never have…

7. Ciaran (@ciaran) said on 24th March 2014, 15:48

IndyCar never really enticed me, I’ve tried to watch it before but it seems a bit too… American. Anyway, I’m keeping an eye on FR3.5 and GP3 for watching new drivers, WEC since I’m getting more into endurance racing, and Formula E because it could go either really well or horribly wrong!

8. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 24th March 2014, 16:09

What do I watch? Well…

Formula 1, DTM, World Endurance Championship, British Touring Car Championship, World Touring Car Championship, World Rally Championship, European Rally Championship, Indycar, MotoGP, Moto2, Moto3, GP2, GP3, European FIA Formula 3, British Formula 3, Auto GP World Series, Formula Renault 3.5 World Series, Eurocup Formula Renault 2.0, Formula Renault 2.0 NEC, Formula Renault 2.0 Alps, ADAC Formel Masters, BRDC Formula 4, Blancpain GT Sprint, British GT, Porsche Supercup, British Porsche Carrera Cup, British Renault Clio Cup, British Ginetta Junior Cup, British Ginetta GT Cup, British Formula Ford.

…note the lack of NASCAR and Formula E?

9. Arnold Triyudho Wardono (@ernietheracefan) said on 24th March 2014, 16:12

My series list : WRC, Touring Car, GT, and endurance..

10. andae23 (@andae23) said on 24th March 2014, 16:15

WEC, GP2, GP3, FR3.5 and Formula E are the ones I will follow closely; Indycar, WRC, WTCC, MotoGP and (perhaps) DTM occasionally. In addition to that I am very much looking forward to the new season of the GT Series. I am very, very pleased to see F1F Live will be covering FR3.5 as well: always felt a bit awkward talking about it over the forums.

The series I’m most curious about is Formula E: it’s really going to be something completely different on all levels, from cars to organization. I can’t wait to see how that will unfold (although the Vote to Pass and the Beijing circuit aren’t very promising).

11. Steven (@steevkay) said on 24th March 2014, 16:21

The one’s I’ll try to catch on a consistent basis: WRC, V8 Supercars, World RallyCross, TUSCC, WEC and DTM. I love GP2/GP3 races but they’re a lot harder to find on a consistent basis.

I love DTM since all their races are free on YouTube. F1 can learn a lot from how other series display their content…

12. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 24th March 2014, 16:32

I voted on what I’ll be watching this season, which is the BTCC (I can’t wait for Sunday!), DTM, the WRC, Formula E (the grid looks impressive) and British Formula 3, but I forgot to vote for that!
    I’ll also be following the results and perhaps highlights of GP2, FR3.5 and the WEC.

But for anyone who hasn’t watched the BTCC, I can’t recommend it highly enough! It is thrill-a-minute racing, and that wasn’t with a 31-strong grid!

13. Sharon H (@sharoncom) said on 24th March 2014, 16:49

Various karting series.

14. Fixy (@fixy) said on 24th March 2014, 16:51

The feeder series and MotoGP definitely, hopefully Formula E as well.

15. Yobo01 (@yobo01) said on 24th March 2014, 17:06

The plan is to watch Indycar, WEC, GP2, GP3, Formula Renault 3.5, DTM, Formula E and MXGP, but I doubt I’m going to watch every single race.

I follow MXGP mainly because of Antonio Cairoli. I’m not really the patriotic guy, I don’t care if a driver or team is from my home country or not (as a matter of fact I am Italian and not a Ferrari supporter!), but I make an exception for Cairoli. He was born in the same city I was, so it’s pretty cool to see him dominating. It’s a bit boring because he wins a lot, but I like watching a race from time to time.