Vote for your Singapore GP driver of the weekend

2011 Singapore Grand Prix

Start, Singapore, 2011

Start, Singapore, 2011

Who was the most impressive driver throughout the Singapore Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the Singapore Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the Singapore Grand Prix weekend:

Sebastian Vettel – Continues to build momentum, in this kind of form the opposition simply can’t get a look in.

Jenson Button – Didn’t look like getting on terms with Vettel until the last stint, but threw everything at it despite being unwell.

Paul di Resta – An especially impressive performance at a tough track for a rookie, though his path to sixth was eased by his team mate.

Sergio Perez – Snatched a point after a bruising race which saw him going wheel-to-wheel with Nico Rosberg and being hit by Michael Schumacher and Bruno Senna.

Heikki Kovalainen – Opportunities for Lotus to beat a car from the midfield are rare but Kovalainen nailed this one.

Compare all the drivers

Review what happened to each driver over the race weekend and compare their performances with their team mates using the links below:

Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Renault: Bruno Senna and Vitaly Petrov
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Pastor Maldonado
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen
HRT: Daniel Ricciardo and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Virgin: Timo Glock and Jerome d’Ambrosio

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most throughout the Singapore Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the Singapore Grand Prix weekend?

• Sebastian Vettel (42%)
  • Mark Webber (1%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (5%)
  • Jenson Button (16%)
  • Fernando Alonso (1%)
  • Felipe Massa (0%)
  • Michael Schumacher (1%)
  • Nico Rosberg (0%)
  • Bruno Senna (0%)
  • Vitaly Petrov (0%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Pastor Maldonado (0%)
  • Vitantonio Liuzzi (0%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Jerome d'Ambrosio (0%)

Total Voters: 423

Loading ... Loading ...

Rate the Race: Singapore Grand Prix

Don’t forget to cast your vote in the ‘rate the race’ poll as well:

2011 Singapore Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Singapore Grand Prix articles

99 comments on Vote for your Singapore GP driver of the weekend

1 2 3
  1. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 26th September 2011, 21:24

Got to be Vettel again. That’s the third time I’ve voted for him this year and the third race in a row, as it happens. Someone needs to do something soon, because Sebastian Vettel + the RB7 is just demoralising.

• bananarama (@bananarama) said on 26th September 2011, 21:30

I guess I’ll have to vote for him too. I really don’t know another driver right now. Button and Alonso were flawless aswell so if we take car performance out of it there are a couple of drivers to consider. Still Vettel was impressive and he’ll probably do it again in two weeks since its another of his favourite tracks and the RBR should be good.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 26th September 2011, 21:42

I think the decision was easier for me after Spa and Monza, but you still can’t look past him after this weekend. Button, Alonso and di Resta all get honourable mentions, but you can’t say they drove better than the man that was flawless all weekend.

• TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 27th September 2011, 2:28

Voted for Di Resta, great drive from him.

Vettel was brilliant as usual and Button also drove well. In a time where it is often sensible to ‘save your engine’, it was great to see him push for the win till the flag.

• TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 27th September 2011, 2:33

Wow I really expected Button to be topping the list.

Funny as this time I feel like he actually deserves it, unlike Monaco when he made no attempt of trying to win the race, this time he pushed for it.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 27th September 2011, 5:56

Looks like its between Vettel and DiResta this time.

I went with Perez, as he really had a lot of opportunities to get damaged, but somehow managed to hold it on track and without damage to finish in the points again.

Di Resta was fine, but a lot of it was strategy, not that impressive. Button was really nice to see but mainly in the last stint.
          Vettel – what to say other than that he’s got it under control. But we can vote him driver of the weekend, when he clinches the WDC next GP.

• I voted for Vettel but thought as well Button would have had more votes. I enjoyed his progress a lot but Vettel was awesome and missin on the Grand Slam by so little testifies this.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 28th September 2011, 0:29

Agreed, Button definitely deserves more votes here than he did for Monaco, where Vettel was unfairly overlooked after the near miracle he pulled off with tires after his team botched the pitstop so badly for him.

• For me Button left it too late in the race to push for the win, and Vettel was probably just managing his pace at that stage and could have gone faster if he felt threatened by Button.

2. Carlitox (@carlitox) said on 26th September 2011, 21:27

My vote goes to Paul di Resta, a great performance in an unknown track and don’t forget his team, they provided an outstanding strategy for him. This year IMO it’ll be difficult to choose a “rookie of the year” between him and Sergio Perez.

• Sergio Perez (@sergio-perez) said on 28th September 2011, 6:30

Exactly. The most impressive part was his complete lack of experience on the track as well as the problems he had in practice. I knew this kid had promise when I saw him in F3 over here, but that was truly impressive stuff. In other news, Edoardo Mortara just clinched another podium in DTM. He’s the best rookie currently over there. If any F1 teams had eyes and wanted a true talent, they should really take a look at that guy.

3. No other than Vettel deserves it this time.

• Adam Tate (@adam-tate) said on 27th September 2011, 5:11

Agreed, I like Di Resta and all, but Vettel once again proved he is in a class of his own. Button is proving to be the man to beat for 2nd in the championship however, and with he, Alonso, Webber and Hamilton all close on points, I can’t understand why people say the season is boring.

Vettel is truly something special, this is something we can all look back on with awe, but we still have a lot of really good drivers duking it out for the best of the rest moniker.

4. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 26th September 2011, 21:35

Both Vettel and Di Resta did a brilliant job, but Vettel’s dominance was just sublime.

5. AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 26th September 2011, 21:37

My vote went to the Tearful Champion as well. He was on superb form the entire weekend, yet again.

• Tearful Champion I liked it. BTW He said he had something in his eyes. I must admit though, Vettel was the Driver of the weekend.Just narrowly missed the grand slam. Although Lewis did a great job of climbing up to 5th from almost the last.

6. djdaveyp85 (@djdaveyp87) said on 26th September 2011, 21:50

I voted for Lewis Hamilton, because Felipe Massa said he did a good job.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 26th September 2011, 21:57

Had to laugh at that :-)

• Mr draw said on 26th September 2011, 22:13

Lol. I was wondering why anyone would vote for Hamilton, but this is certainly a good point.

• I agree Vettel was the Driver of the weekend. But Lewis did quite a good job if we forget for a moment the minor mistake and the big drama around the Massa Crash.

• MaroonJack (@maroonjack) said on 27th September 2011, 12:35

The problem with his minor mistakes is that they happen way too often. Lewis lost 2010 championship because of that. He finished 16 points behind Vettel. 16 easy points, if it wasn’t for his minor mistakes: a contact with Massa in Italy and if his clash with Webber in Singapore.

• almanac said on 28th September 2011, 5:13

minor mistake? what is a major mistake? could you explain what is a major mistake in F1? the dumb crash is doing that every race is not called anymore mistake minor or major.is called being absolutely careless.
          you are on my way . I can’t overtake you I will crash you.

• MaroonJack (@maroonjack) said on 28th September 2011, 7:48

“You are on my way. I can’t overtake you I will crash you.”

Come on, let’s be serious. I think we can safely say that it wasn’t his thought process. That’s why I can’t take most people who criticize Lewis seriously, even though I’m one of them.

It was a minor mistake. The thing is, that all of his minor mistakes are becoming a major problem, not only for him, but also for his team.

• HounslowBusGarage (@hounslowbusgarage) said on 27th September 2011, 13:23

Maybe the poll should have been for ‘The Most Entertaining Driver’, Hamilton would have won that!

• I guess we can say that Hamilton has been one of the most consistent drivers this season…

• I voted for Lewis Hamilton, because Felipe Massa said he did a good job.

This really made me laugh!! Awesome..

7. Massa for the most hilarious moment of the weekend. Just kidding :)

Vettel. He was perfect. I was so close to picking Paul di Resta though. He was phenomenal and smart on the Sunday. He kept up with Sutil when he was on the harder tyre despite never having raced at this track before. He was just brilliant.

8. Vettel was dominant,again…..

Who voted for Shumacher’s crash?

9. montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 26th September 2011, 22:19

My fourth vote for Vettel.A few others had a good performance but his was a Fantastic performance!

Seriously, MW should get his act together and start challenging him, he’s the only one with a chance. Otherwise, the 5 races remaining will all be like this one, no fight for the lead. And if you think Vettel will ease up after winning the title in Japan, you better think again.

10. MW needs to get back his confidence and aggression that he had last year. Somehow he has resigned to the fact to the fact he is happy with second. Hope he does not end up like Barichello and Massa.

• But Webber has to maintain the gap

• David-A (@david-a) said on 26th September 2011, 23:15

Because he’s incapable of closing it.

• MW (@) said on 27th September 2011, 9:04

You really can’t assume that Mark is on an equal footing when it comes to car performance..
          Both Webber and Massa have been superb drivers in the past and both within a hair’s breath of taking the title.

I find it hard to belive that Redbull and Ferrari aren’t spear heading their efforts into the number 1 driver.

This makes it impossible to judge their efforts over any race weekend.

BTW my username “MW” stands for my own initials not Mark Webber :)

• streetfightingman said on 27th September 2011, 11:40

facepalm

• Look at Webber’s starts to see where he loses out the most. In Singapore he got on the podium because of Hamilton’s qualifying snafu and clipping Massas wing. Webber isn’t exactly well known for his great starts.

Only a conspiracy theorist would failed to see that since 2008 in the Toro Rosso Vettel has outscored MW every year. He was on a pace to outscore him in 2007 if he raced a full year.

• Vettel has actually forced Webber to raise his game, and in 2010 you saw the results of that. Now Webber has sunk back to the level he was at before Vettel came along.

I have to say that does make sense uan.
            However, no more than my argument it’s very speculative. I would ask, why has Webber suddenly dropped back from 2010?
            It seems logical to me that after the 2010 season where he obviously fell out with the team over being considered the “No. 2 driver” he might have made a deal with the team which divided resources in a way that ultimately didn’t work out for him.

If we go with your theory above a logical explanation might be that Vettel just upped his game from 2010 which demoralized Mark Webber and forced him into his 2011 slump.

I don’t think I quite buy that, MW seems like a pretty tough guy mentally to me. But that’s just my opinion.

• well he closed it in Silverstone, didn’t he?

• David-A (@david-a) said on 27th September 2011, 21:32

Yes, one example. Maybe three examples this season in total. Big whoop.

• MaroonJack (@maroonjack) said on 28th September 2011, 8:27

He totally did! In fact I think that Mark had more than one good race this year, therefore we should conclude that both Red Bull drivers are almost equal. Let’s be “fair and balanced”, just like Fox News ;)

In fact, if Mark improves only three things, he will be beating Sebastian on regular basis. These are: his starts, qualifying performance and race pace.

Now seriously. I’m sure Mark contributes tremendously to the development of the car and despite his poor performance this year he seems to be really valued by his team… but man, he really needs to up his game.

It pains me to see Mark like this, because I think he can do much better. I like him and I think most people do. He’s not afraid to show his character and when he does, he has nothing to be ashamed of. It isn’t always the case with other drivers. For example the bits of character recently shown by Massa aren’t particularly pleasing… Right, I’m rambling now, so I’ll stop before I jump on another tangent.

11. Sebastian Vettel by a trillion miles.

He was nothing short of sublime (again) as well as dominating all of practice, qualifying and leading every lap.

Yes, I thnk di Resta, Button and Alonso did well, but Vettel did very well.

This lad just gets better.

12. The in form drivers at Singapore were Vettel, Button, Alonso and di Resta, and they make up my semi-final! From them, I think Vettel and di Resta make the final of my Driver of the Weekend vote, and in the end, I had to go for Vettel.

di Resta was superb, but Vettel, again, outclassed the field. He had a solid lead slashed and then built it again. He lead every lap, and I can’t fault him, even if I wanted to. I have literally no criticism. A deserved double WDC.

13. RumFRESH (@rumfresh) said on 26th September 2011, 23:21

Di Resta. Honorable mention to Sebastian Vettel, both kids just keep getting better and better.

14. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 26th September 2011, 23:39

I guess it “should” be Vettel but di Resta impressed me a lot and it looks like he has a good chance to win this. Kind of a fudge considering he didn’t even set a Q3 lap!

15. Vettel by a mile. Several other drivers did well but my god. Vettel just can’t be touched at the moment.

1 2 3