Vote for the best F1 driver of 2012

2012 F1 season review

Fernando Alonso was my pick of the best drivers of 2012.

But now it’s time for find out who F1 Fanatic readers’ driver of the year was. Review the rankings in full, cast your vote for the best driver of 2012 below, and tell us who you picked in the comments.

F1 Fanatic 2012 Driver Rankings

Read the rankings in full here:

Cast your vote for Driver of the Year below. The results will be announced later on in the 2012 season review.

Who was the best driver of 2012?

• Sebastian Vettel (13%)
  • Mark Webber (0%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (21%)
  • Jenson Button (0%)
  • Fernando Alonso (50%)
  • Felipe Massa (0%)
  • Michael Schumacher (1%)
  • Nico Rosberg (0%)
  • Kimi Raikkonen (11%)
  • Romain Grosjean (0%)
  • Paul di Resta (0%)
  • Nico Hulkenberg (0%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (0%)
  • Sergio Perez (0%)
  • Daniel Ricciardo (0%)
  • Jean-Eric Vergne (0%)
  • Pastor Maldonado (0%)
  • Bruno Senna (0%)
  • Heikki Kovalainen (0%)
  • Vitaly Petrov (1%)
  • Narain Karthikeyan (0%)
  • Pedro de la Rosa (0%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Charles Pic (0%)
  • Jerome d'Ambrosio (0%)

Total Voters: 709

Loading ... Loading ...

Pass of the Year and Overtaker of the Year

The polls for Pass of the Year and Overtaker of the Year are still open so be sure to vote here as well:

2012 F1 season review

Browse all 2012 F1 season review articles

111 comments on Vote for the best F1 driver of 2012

1. Jason (@jason12) said on 14th December 2012, 20:40

After 2012, I’m now even more confident that (in the same car) Lewis would beat Alonso again..
    Both in qualifying and the race.

2. Perhaps I should’ve voted Vettel to contribute to him beating Räikkönen! Seriously though, Räikkönen the best? He was good, but the best? That title belongs to either Hamilton, Alonso or Vettel (and just for reference I voted for Alonso).

• M Dickens (@sgt-pepper) said on 19th February 2013, 19:49

(@vettel1)
      1. Alonso
      2. Hamilton
      3. Raikkonnen

Then maybe Vettel.

• @sgt-pepper – you are rather late in replying, but nonetheless I shall take up the argument. Vettel is the world champion, which immediately gives him one over the rest. Then we go into the details: Räikkönen won one race, despite the fact his car was clearly capable of winning in many more (Bahrain for a start). He often qualified below expectations, frequently behind Grosjean. Sure, he made up for this with superb racecraft and in that respect he was the best driver of the season in my opinion but he wasn’t 3rd best.

I’d say Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton. Those three were much more consistently good and made very few mistakes: each had their strengths (Hamilton’s outright pace, Alonso’s relentless podiums and Vettel’s domination of the latter part of the season), so you would be refectory justified to place any of them at the top in my mind. But again I will stress that Vettel won the title and fought through adversity in Abu Dhabi & Brazil to put on drives which justified his championship.

3. Hallard (@hallard) said on 14th December 2012, 23:58

The top 3 this year (VET, ALO & HAM) were so agonizingly close in their performances this year (twitter and team radio idiocy notwithstanding), that I can only come to a ranking by comparing their mistakes.

Vettel made a mistake not leaving Karthikeyan enough room in the tricky conditions in Malaysia, even if the steward’s dont agree with me. He earned a penalty for overtaking Button off-track in Germany. He had a bizzarre mistake in Abu Dhabi where he picked up that braking marking marker and damaged his car during the safety car period, and he took out Senna (and nearly himself too) in Brazil on the first lap.

Hamilton made a poor start in Australia, as well as a poor set-up decision choosing a different front wing than Button. He made another poor set-up decision in Belgium, for which he paid heavily with a DNF. He also made the wrong call on tires in Brazil, even though he might still have gotten away with it thanks to the subsequent safety car.

Alonso made a big mistake squeezing Raikkonen off the track at the start in Japan, and the consequence was a DNF. He was also overly ambitious with Maldonado in China, perhaps. Strangely enough, he actually needed some help from his team mate in a couple of the final Grands Prix of the season as well.

On the whole I would say Vettel made the most errors, so I’d rank him third, with Alonso and Hamilton more or less equal. I can see a reasonable case being made for either as #1, but I voted for Hamilton here, largely out of sympathy for his unfathomably horrid luck. One thing is certain though: all 3 drivers put in a championship-worthy effort this year.

• kbdavies (@kbdavies) said on 15th December 2012, 22:26

If Hamilton made the wrong tyre call in Brazil, how come you dont attribute the same mistake to Alonso and Vettel? As they made the same call.

Also, why aren’t the set-up issues Ferrari and RBR face attributed to their drivers, but Hamilton’s is? Even Buttons set-up issues are attibuted to McLaren’s inability to “get on top” of their tyre issues.

• Hallard (@hallard) said on 21st December 2012, 0:04

Fair question… really I’ve only counted these examples against Hamilton because they are instances in which Button did differently, and as a result outperformed Hamilton in some respect.

Hamilton made the wrong tire call in Brazil because Button stayed out on slicks and made it work with the same car, whereas both Ferrari teammates and both Red Bull teammates made the same call as one another.

Also, in the instances I’ve referenced where Hamilton ran different parts on his car than Button, these were widely reported to be Hamilton’s decision, which I am calling a mistake on his part accordingly. My $0.02.

4. Joey Zyla (@) said on 15th December 2012, 10:50

I voted for Alonso, with Kimi, Hamilton, and Glock all very close.

5. AlokIn (@) said on 15th December 2012, 12:06

Lewis was his best this year lost championship because of reliability and team issues.
    Alonso was more lucky this year and all his credibility lost because of team orders and most of the points earned at the sacrifice of Massa’s points.

6. Francuis (@francuis) said on 15th December 2012, 12:08

Alonso. I am a fan. I am not alone.

Most sites over the world (apart for Germany) choose Alonso.
    At autosport.com all the team bosses choose Alonso. Check http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104812.
    Most of the current F1 driver choose Alonso.
    Nearly all the journalist choose Alonso.
    Twitter fans follow Alonso.
    “Money” choose Alonso as he is the highest paid driver.
    Ferrari choose Alonso even on the track with team orders.
    Massa chose Alonso before himself.
    Marshals on track choose Alonso as they won’t give him any penalties.
    Hell, even Keith choose Alonso.

Now I am just waiting for Bernie.

• Deb Luhi (@debeluhi) said on 18th December 2012, 2:42

His PR machine must be working much better than his car. Oh, it looks like I fell victim of his PR too, his car wasn’t that bad after all, but saying something over and over again makes it true.

• davidnotcoulthard said on 22nd December 2012, 9:04

I disagree on the Twitter and Massa (He chose Alonso Ferrari ove himself – Irvine/Rubens-esque).

7. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 15th December 2012, 13:00

Very close for me between Ham and Alo. But I gave the edge to Alonso because of how he performed with a relatively underperforming car. His starts at every race were just manic.

IMO Lewis should definitely have won the C’ship by a mile, but Mclaren really shot themselves in the foot.

8. It has to be Alonso, to be so close to the title despite the Ferrari only being about the third best car.

I normally have trouble selecting an order for the best drivers of the year, but this year the top driver position was one of the easiest it has been.

In the end my final top five matched Keith’s, I was debating about the order of Hamilton, Vettel and Raikkonen initially but settled on that order. I wasn’t sure about fifth but choose Hulkenberg as some of the other drivers I considered did not perform consistently throughout the season, such as Perez.

I have no idea how I would rank the rest of the grid though.

9. Gabriel (@naylamp) said on 15th December 2012, 16:05

My vote goes to ALO. But you should be able to choice P1, P2 and P3. With only one choice the poll is more subjective, I think.

10. Bosley (@bosley) said on 15th December 2012, 17:47

As i’m writing this, the current scores are:
    1. Fernando Alonso (50%)
    2. Lewis Hamilton (21%)
    =3. Sebastian Vettel (12%)
    =3. Kimi Raikkonen (12%)
    5. Jerome d’Ambrosio (3%)
    =6. Vitaly Petrov (1%)
    =6. Michael Schumacher (1%)
    7+. No one else has a percentage

Obviously from all of that, Alonso has got the win unless a mass haul of Hamilton fans show up who haven’t voted yet. Too be honest I wouldn’t mind if either of the 2 won it or Vettel.
    But well done D’Ambrosio for somehow holding 5th right now.

11. Sebastian Vettel is the best driver for 2012 and that’s why he’s the Champion.

12. TMF (@tmf42) said on 15th December 2012, 19:38

Voted for Vettel – with Hamilton as close #2 and #3 Alonso. Totally biased, it would have been Alonso if he would stop trashing his own teams for his personal gain.

13. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 15th December 2012, 19:57

The differences are little between the top 4. You can point out strenghts and weaknesses from all of them, so in the end I voted for Kimi’s consistency after 2 years off.

14. HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 15th December 2012, 21:03

This poll shows well how overrated driver Alonso is. Made various mistakes, underperfomed in qualifyings and was slower than his team mate in last few races. How he gets rated as the best driver in the grid is beyond me.

I voted Hamilton – with even a slightly better luck he would’ve won the title this year.

• Nickpkr said on 15th December 2012, 22:44

If Alonso was English not more doubts in this site, but Vettel despite of making most mistakes of them, pull it off and IS the winner, Redbull car was as good for as long as Mc laren thru the season, Vettel capitalize more.

15. Joey Zyla (@) said on 16th December 2012, 0:11

1. Fernando Alonso (49%)
    2. Lewis Hamilton (22%)
    3. Sebastian Vettel (12%)
    4. Kimi Raikkonen (11%)
    5. Jerome d’Ambrosio (3%)
    6. Schumacher, Hulkenburg, Petrov (1%)

Congratulations to those who voted for Petrov/Hulkenburg/Schumacher for remembering to take car performance in to account.

16. Matty No 2 (@mattynotwo) said on 16th December 2012, 3:20

I voted foe Vettel. I think the entertaining way he won the title this year made him deserving of my vote. Brazil comes to mind.

17. bull mello (@bullmello) said on 16th December 2012, 7:55

Alonso, but it was close. Alonso did more with less and was very consistent through a long season with many twists and turns. Hamilton had the most mature season of driving in his career. With more consistency from his team he would have won WDC. He often had the fastest car and got a lot out of it. Vettel does not always get the respect he deserves. Good job of coming from behind and he survived through some reliability problems as well as a few less than mature moves of his own. He is still developing as a driver and he will get even better than he is now. Kimi is my favorite driver and personality too. His comeback did not disappoint and his level of driving was very close to the top three drivers. Great season!

18. JaegerGolf (@jaegergolf) said on 16th December 2012, 9:55

Alonso, without any doubt.

Did no mistake which costs him points!

19. Kimi4WDC said on 17th December 2012, 0:09

Vettel had an exceptional season, he will only be stronger next year. He pushed and conquered.

Typical season for Alonso, made the best of not doing many mistakes and grabbed most advantage from front running cars misfortunes, but then again, this seems to be Alonso’s strongest points.

20. chemakal said on 21st December 2012, 20:04