Who was the best driver of the Belgian Grand Prix weekend?

Start, Spa-Francorchamps, 2010

Which driver did the best job during the Belgian Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the Belgian Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the Belgian Grand Prix weekend:

Lewis Hamilton – Always seemed to get a bit more out of the car in the wet conditions than anyone else.

Mark Webber – Stayed cool after a poor start, put a handy pass on Massa and kept the pressure on Kubica.

Robert Kubica – Revelled in the updated Renault and was unlucky to miss out on a front row start.

Adrian Sutil – Passes on Kobayashi, Schumacher and Rosberg set him up for a season-best-equalling fifth.

Nico Rosberg – Used his wet set-up to great effect to pass Schumacher and Kobayashi at the final restart.

Compare all the drivers

You can review what happened to each driver in the race and compare their race data with their team mates using the links below:

McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Nico H?â??lkenberg
Renault: Robert Kubica and Vitaly Petrov
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Koalainen
HRT: Sakon Yamamoto and Bruno Senna
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Pedro de la Rosa
Virgin: Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most in the Belgian Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the Belgian Grand Prix weekend?

• Jenson Button (2%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (51%)
  • Michael Schumacher (7%)
  • Nico Rosberg (1%)
  • Sebastian Vettel (1%)
  • Mark Webber (8%)
  • Felipe Massa (1%)
  • Fernando Alonso (2%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Nico H?â??lkenberg (0%)
  • Robert Kubica (12%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (2%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Lucas di Grassi (2%)

Total Voters: 2,581

Loading ... Loading ...

Hungarian Grand Prix result

Mark Webber was voted the best driver of the Hungarian Grand Prix weekend.

2010 Belgian Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Belgian Grand Prix articles

126 comments on Who was the best driver of the Belgian Grand Prix weekend?

1 2 3 5
  1. I don’t know. The Mclaren looks so good in the wet comapred to everyone one else. Button and Ham were the only ones who could improve their times in quali when the rain came but Ham was comfortably ahead of But for most of the weekend. He did everything he needed to I guess.

Webber bad start which wasn’t his fault. Got lead lead of his teammate this weekend and salvaged a podium at a track RBR were meant to fail at.

Kubica- number 1 in the team still so I dfon’t know just how much he’s getting out of it. Cracker of a weekend but made a mistake at a crucial moment.

I’d say Ham or Web. I was really impressed with Button’s race though.

• nik (@nik) said on 31st August 2010, 6:07

I would also go for Hamilton if it wasn’t for his excursion into the kitty litter – if he hit the barrier, all the post-race talk would have been about how he has yet to mature as a racer. He was an inch away from the entire perception about him taking a radical 180 degree shift.

The only drivers who didn’t make mistakes in the unique conditions were Webber, Button and Sutil (from what I saw of Sutil). Button didn’t finish the race, so that leaves Webber and Sutil. To become world champion, a driver has to perform like Webber did during the race – keeping his cool after a fault and maximizing his position based on mistakes that others make. He also paced himself well, kept out of trouble, and was on the mark during the pit stop.

Sutil and Massa drove good, although anonymous, races.

• BasCB said on 31st August 2010, 8:37

In the end i went with Hamilton. Button migh have been there, if Seb hadn’t got impatient as well.
      Webber drove very well this weekend, the start was not his fault, but it was lacking the exitement for me.

• spectator said on 31st August 2010, 10:48

i would say web, because voting on ham wouldnt be suprising cause he had a great car on straight line but more important he had much more downforce, which is crucial on wet conditions. Looking under those prospects i believe that web was the best driver vet and alo were unlucky again massa wasnt good enough but seeing him up there is a clear demonstration that alo was on of the fav

2. Zibit said on 30th August 2010, 21:15

You didn’t even mention Kobayashi or Petrov. The only 2 worth consideration really.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 30th August 2010, 21:23

In your opinion. Why did you think they were better? Hard to give them much credit for their qualifying performances.

• Zibit said on 30th August 2010, 21:27

I guess I read the question differently. I think a driver who goes from near last to points had a hell of a day. Especially in a car that doesn’t regularly get points. To me that’s impressive.

1st to win or 2nd to win is great! But it doesn’t impress me as much.. Especially in a car that is nearly guaranteed points(minus collisions).

Just a different perspective I guess.

The Mercedes’ had a good race to. But that was kind of expected, from me anyways.

Cheers!

• Fer no 65 said on 30th August 2010, 22:03

“Especially in a car that doesn’t regularly get points”

Mind you, Petrov drives for Renault… a team that could’ve won the race…

• Zibit said on 30th August 2010, 22:18

I was leaning towards Kobayashi but Petrov went from 23rd to 9th. Clearly he didn’t win the race but an impressive showing. Yeah his Teammate scores points nearly every race. But he’s a rookie and is just starting to come into his own. Hope Renault keeps him next year! (I wouldn’t have said that just 3 or 4 races ago)

I know the question is best driver of the weekend and that I would say should go to Hamilton, excellent all weekend. But driver of the race, I have a different opinion.

• mateuss said on 31st August 2010, 12:48

Yes, the car doesn’t often get points because Petrov is driving it, while Kubica has scored more than all Williams and Force India cars combined.

Is having scored 15% for the team impressive? Is finishing ninth in a car capable to challenge for a win, in opportunistic circumstances impressive? Not by my standards, I think another poor performance from Petrov trough the whole weekend.

• To me, it was really the way Hamilton was able to jump up to second in Q3 when everyone else had fallen off. That set him up for the win and he really had to work to get up to second in Q3. I don’t remember the time on the clock, but he was the last one to set a real time and he went up from 6th? to 2nd.

• dragon said on 31st August 2010, 2:10

Kamui and Vitaly had great drives, but I’m not going to credit them simply for qualifying poorly then slashing their way through a much slower field. If you can’t get it together on Saturday, you don’t deserve the maximum plaudits on Sunday. Lewis, Mark and Robert all had brilliant drives, as usual putting in the fast laps when they needed, and keeping a cool head through all the changing conditions.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 31st August 2010, 9:02

Fair enough.

The way I see it, Kobayashi and Petrov messed up in qualifying which partly flattered their race performances. Petrov in particular started behind all the new teams’ cars which he was inevitably going to get ahead of. His pass on Rosberg was very good, but he was on soft tyres at the time which would have helped.

They deserve credit for not sticking their cars in the hedge on a difficult day, but so do a lot of other drivers.

• Daniel said on 31st August 2010, 12:23

What about Schumacher then? He went from 21st to 7th. Sure, he was passed by Sutil at one point but Sutil was flying past everyone then and Schumacher was on old hard tyres in cold conditions. Sure he was passed by Rosberg at the end but Rosberg was on a wet set-up that he used to pass another driver too, and Schumacher passed Rosberg earlier in the race, so you could say it was 1 all there.

You can’t say Schumacher messed up in qualifying. He qualified 11th which is about typical for Mercedes at the moment, and that after Mercedes screwed up and managed to have Rosberg on a wet set-up blocking him on his last flying lap.

Plus, the moment of the whole Weekend for me was Schumacher going past 5 drivers who all fell off the road at the start of Q1 – that was absolutely awesome!

Surely Schumacher deserved a mention at least?

• bosyber said on 31st August 2010, 15:14

All good reasons to in the end not go for those two, they had a great race, but need to do better on Saturday.

Schumacher did about equal with Rosberg. Their team had mediocre car, looking for a not great weekend, but they both made the best of it to get well into the points. I hope Schumacher is bolstered by it and will continue this line. And it bodes well for next year that Rosberg overtook him at the end of the race, especially if Schumacher does get back to old form.

I went with Hamilton mainly for his great qualifying and first lap work; Webber did good, but in a way he was as uninspiring in the race as Massa was: solid, doing the best he could, but not better. Sutil did well to get fifth in the race, and managed okay, given his car, on Saturday. Button had a great start and could have been, if not for Vettel (well, and him clipping his wing, I suppose).

• sato113 (@sato113) said on 30th August 2010, 23:00

yes but they made up for it in the race, under huge pressure from their teams.

• benacre said on 31st August 2010, 20:17

Schumacher did have a good race, but the only reason he passed Rosberg was because Rosberg was busy battling and got forced off the road. Schumacher even almost ended Rosberg’s chance of good points when he took off part of his front wing!

For me it was Hamilton who was the best driver. I agree he was fortunate off the start after a bad start from Webber, but even if that hadn’t happened you could bet he would have passed him down the straight due to the f-duct. He drove brilliantly in changing conditions, even if he did make one mistake. I also think Sutil deserves a mention as he was blisteringly quick, and I believe Button would have been up there if it weren’t for Vettel’s mistake. Webber also drove very well despite his poor start.

• Goodtimes said on 31st August 2010, 4:10

I agree…I think it was a pretty damn impressive performance by Petrov. His qualifying mistake came at a bad time..sure…but it’s not like he was the only one who spun this weekend.

3. YeaMon said on 30th August 2010, 21:17

I am by no mean a Hamilton fan, but he led flag to flag. Whether it was dry or wet Hamilton was the one to beat. Just missing pole was the only thing keeping him from getting a clean sweep of the weekend. Hands down the best driver of the weekend.

Hats off to Kubica though. With that fuel pick-up problem in Qualifying he was only able to get one flying lap. Credit to him for making it pay off with 3rd on the grid, and eventually 3rd in the race as well. Great drive by him.

4. slicecom said on 30th August 2010, 21:22

It’s gotta be Hamilton.

• Speed Damon said on 1st September 2010, 10:14

No doubt about it Lewis was the best. I was in France for the race nad the newspapers all had cartoons of him saying,”Rain, What rain?”. Unbelievably good. Kubica did well too and Webber fought back from his bad start. This is gonna be close in Brazil etc

5. Oh just checked JA’s blog and just because he gave Massa as an option he is now my hero. Sorry Keith! Just kidding, even I couldn’t vote for Felipe but it was a good weekend from him to some extent.

Yamamoto was the worst driver for me this weekend. He actually did alrightn at some points but that just means he isn’t entertaining anymore.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 30th August 2010, 22:42

Massa is an option… am I missing something?

• Cornflakes said on 31st August 2010, 3:05

I think Steph is saying that JA’s blog has Massa as an option (JA only has 5 or 6 drivers to choose from) which is suprising as he wasn’t really a contender for driver of the weekend. I’m guessing she’s a Massa fan, as she said ‘even I couldn’t vote for Massa’ and this would suggest why James Allen is now her hero (for making him an option in his driver of the day poll).

basically, Massa is an option, don’t worry :D

6. John H said on 30th August 2010, 21:38

Wouldn’t always go with the obvious choice, but after that qualification lap (one of the best in recent times perhaps), Hamilton has to be driver of the weekend.

• Keep it in perspective though – the McLaren clearly had the edge in the wet, and Hamilton messed up his first lap (and blamed the team for it post-quali).

Over the whole weekend, I’d have to vote Hamilton – some of the other drivers put in a good performance on the Sunday, but it’s all about the whole weekend.

7. Herman A said on 30th August 2010, 21:39

For me, it has to be Hamilton. Sure, he did ride his luck when he went off the track into the gravel when the rain came, but apart from that he had the race well under his control. Led virtually from the start to the finish, despite 2 SC periods and 2 rain periods and got a fastest lap in the process. Definitely deserved the win.

8. schooner said on 30th August 2010, 21:41

I’d have to say Hamilton. Even though he was not really put under much pressure by any of those behind him, this was a direct result of his (mostly)very tidy drive in very tricky conditions. Well done. I’d also give honorable mentions to Rosberg and MS, keeping their noses clean, and recovering from poor grid positions to get well into the points. Fun race!

• Tango said on 31st August 2010, 8:54

Keeping their noises clean, except between themselves (MS clipped on Ros at the beginning, and Ros had a nice brush on his last overtake against MS). Great fun watching them at it.

9. Calum said on 30th August 2010, 21:46

It has got to be Hamilton doesn’t it?
    You can argue Mark Webber had a great race, by battling from the midfield up to second position, but he let himself down by a terrible start, similarly, Robert Kubica was cruising to a comfortable second place but in his second pit stop braking error was uncharacteristic and stopped him becoming driver of the race. Lewis one the race, end of.

10. Calum said on 30th August 2010, 21:47

Woops “one” when I clearly meant “won” I’m claiming that as an uncharacteristic grammatical error :P

11. sumedh said on 30th August 2010, 21:58

Hard to see anything beyond Hamilton. Even though the Mclaren is a better car in the wet, the kind of gap he was pulling over his team-mate was amazing. Except for that moment at Rivage, he did absolutely nothing wrong.

He said after the interview that he was ‘blessed’ to win this race, but honestly, he wasn’t lucky at all, it was his sublime driving which allowed him to win this race.

12. Alexi said on 30th August 2010, 22:02

Either Rosberg or Kubica for me. Put them on the top teams and Alonso, Hamilton, Webber etc. would have to watch their backs.

• Could not agree more. Ferrari have made a mistake not employing Kub rather than Alonso at half the price and twice the talent.

• rayan said on 31st August 2010, 3:58

ya i really agree with u nick,,,nice quote….

• nik (@nik) said on 31st August 2010, 6:20

That’s pretty funny, and hard to disagree with. Though Alonso has a lot more commercial appeal than Kubica.

I think they should have bought Robert in for Felipe, it would have been a great team – one of those two drivers in a Ferrari would almost always be finishing in top places and would give them consistency, and in-turn, points.

• I can’t imagine Alonso would have liked being beaten regularly, and Kubica would not like being told he is number 2. Ferrari would have imploded!

So, yeah, I think it would have been a great idea. :)

13. Fer no 65 said on 30th August 2010, 22:06

Hamilton, Webber and Kubica all had great races.

But Hamilton was definetly the star of the race. On such bad conditions, the leader is the first candidate to ruin it completely missing his braking point or spinning in the damp track. But appart from the Rivage moment, he got everything together and won an incredible race.

In my opinion, this was the best race we’ve seen from him in a long time.

14. Hamilton because he is a beast of a man.

Webber still salvaged some respect for getting back up to second.

15. Felipe Bomeny (@portugoose) said on 30th August 2010, 22:10

Honestky, Sutil. Fast all weekend, pulled off some nice passes.

1 2 3 5