Who was the best driver of the Singapore Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)

Which driver did the best job during the Singapore Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the Singapore Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the Singapore Grand Prix weekend:

Fernando Alonso – Took an unexpected pole position and soaked up two hours of pressure from Vettel.

Sebastian Vettel – Unrelenting in his pursuit of Alonso and by far the quicker of the two Red Bulls.

Mark Webber – Aggressive strategy looked like a mistake at first but he made the crucial passes that made it work.

Robert Kubica – Bounced back magnificently after a puncture with some perfectly-judged passes (albeit executed with a considerable tyre advantage).

Timo Glock – Quick all weekend and somehow kept Adrian Sutil’s Force India behind for the best part of ten laps. Race ruined by appalling luck with the safety car.

Compare all the drivers

You can review what happened to each driver in the race and compare their race data with their team mates using the links below:

McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Nico H?â??lkenberg
Renault: Robert Kubica and Vitaly Petrov
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen
HRT: Christian Klien and Bruno Senna
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Nick Heidfeld
Virgin: Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most in the Singapore Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the Singapore Grand Prix weekend?

• Jenson Button (1%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (3%)
  • Michael Schumacher (0%)
  • Nico Rosberg (0%)
  • Sebastian Vettel (3%)
  • Mark Webber (10%)
  • Felipe Massa (1%)
  • Fernando Alonso (43%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (1%)
  • Nico H?â??lkenberg (0%)
  • Robert Kubica (31%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (0%)
  • Timo Glock (2%)
  • Lucas di Grassi (3%)

Total Voters: 2,951

Loading ... Loading ...

Italian Grand Prix result

Here are the top three drivers of the Italian Grand Prix weekend as voted for by over 2,000 F1 Fanatic readers:

1. Fernando Alonso, 40%
2. Jenson Button, 33%
3. Sebastian Vettel, 8%

2010 Singapore Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Singapore Grand Prix articles

120 comments on Who was the best driver of the Singapore Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)

1. dragon said on 28th September 2010, 0:19

It’s gotta be Hamilton, hasn’t it? :)

Alonso was flawless. The man is now showing (took his time about it this season, true) exactly why he’s a 2 time WDC. Funnily enough, the past two races it’s been his first hotlap in Q3 which has secured him pole, something that doesn’t happen too often considering that each bit of rubber that goes down on track can change times by hundreths or even tenths. As good as his quali was though, his race was something else, he had to be precise with a very fast Vettel (who also drove superbly) always within striking distance.

Webber seems to be riding his luck at the moment (about damn time his fortunes changed) but he also drove the wheels off that car (almost literally in the end) to keep the frontrunners in calculation when the hard tyres were underperforming. Again, pulled out some awesome passes, which he had to, to make the strategy work.

• Hehe agree with your comment.

Wish I could say Hamilton *sob*, but I went with Alonso after trying to decide between him and Webber. As you said Alonso drove flawlessly and managed to give 100% all weekend. While Webber’s overtaking was impressive, Alonso accomplished more on the weekend as a whole from pole to FLAPs to P1. “Grande 1″ as his team wrote on his pitboard as he took the checkered flag.

2. MouseNightshirt said on 28th September 2010, 0:47

Although the guy makes me sick to the pit of my stomach every time I see him on TV, you gotta hand it to him. Alonso simply had an uninterrupted, faultless, sublime weekend.

He has skills behind the wheel that man.

3. MouseNightshirt said on 28th September 2010, 0:49

Also, I feel I should point out that I’m surprised Alguesuari didn’t get more votes – he was super unlucky with that water leak pre-race, he had been phenomenal before that point – he got lumped in traffic yet finished with Buemi at the end of the race.

Reliability woes here could have damaged his career big time.

4. I don’t know that a Grand Chelem is what it used to be…these days the quickest time list has many mid-pack guys up there, because they are the ones still fighting to the line while usually the front runners have toned it down to save the car.

I think we could have easily seen more Grand Chalem’s this season had the leading driver pushed to the line on the final lap instead of backing off. Alonso just didn’t have that luxury here as Vettel was right behind him.

5. Joey-Poey (@joey-poey) said on 28th September 2010, 2:06

Kubica, hands down for me.

6. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 28th September 2010, 2:43

I say Webber for overtaking two aggressive driver Kobayashi & Schumacher is grand style when he needed to clinch his third position. Kubica’s provided us with the entertainment that was missing in the tail end of the race & I want to see more teams trying that two stop strategy which should help them to run faster in the latter part of the race.

7. Kubica for all the entertaining passes, Alonso for showing nerves of steel under pressure, Vettel for not letting the pressure down for a second….

8. Alex Bkk said on 28th September 2010, 2:58

My vote was for Alonso… I suppose he did everything he needed to do to win the race. Sadly I was on the phone for a good bit of the race so I missed some of Kubica’s moves.

9. codesurge said on 28th September 2010, 3:40

My vote will have to be for Alonso. He was inch-perfect all weekend (apart from that stall in FP2) and showed why he is a true contender for the title this season.

Consolation prize goes to Kubica for showing that you CAN overtake on a street circuit like Singapore, albeit with the advantage of a fresh set of tires.

10. Florida Mike said on 28th September 2010, 5:23

A vote for Alonso, with an honorable mention to Kubica.

Where does the term “Grand Chelem” come from? In the States we call it a Grand Slam, a bases-loaded home run, the most you can score in one play.

11. Brendan said on 28th September 2010, 5:24

How can anyone who claims that Lewis Hamilton was the best driver of the weekend be taken seriously. He lacked speed all weekend and made a hash of his one and only overtaking opportunity, potentially taking out both leaders of the championship. Perhaps he was trying to make some sort of statement but it was a crass passing manoeuvre. Vettel’s drive was unremarkable. He was probably in the fastest car and feeling comfortable. While it kills me to say it, Alonso’s drive was probably the drive of the meet. He got pole against the odds and kept Vettel behind him for the full race.

12. Alonso really didn’t make any mistakes this weekend, did he? Even with that gearbox software scare, he would still have been guaranteed of a front row start, if Vettel didn’t brush the barriers during Q3.

I would consider this his first proper win at Singapore and hope that the five way title battle goes into South Korea…

13. Christian Briddon said on 28th September 2010, 8:10

As much as I hate to do it I have to give this one to Alonso, even though I can’t stand the childish petulant twonk!

Fingers crosed that he fails to win the championship.

14. Melchior (@melchior) said on 28th September 2010, 8:11

Alonso got my vote.He qualified on pole and drove a near flawless race.
    Kubica impressed me as well with his overtaking in the latter parts of the race.

15. Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 28th September 2010, 8:22

Has to be Alonso. A Grand Chelem with the second fastest car was a mighty effort.