Who was the best driver of the Italian Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)

Start, Monza, 2010

Which driver did the best job during the Italian Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the Italian Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the Italian Grand Prix weekend:

Fernando Alonso – Great lap to clinch pole position in a tight session. Lost the lead at the start but kept the pressure on Button and took it back after a quick pit stop.

Jenson Button – Opting to run a set-up which left him 14kph slower than Alonso on the straights was a risky choice. But he came impressively close to pulling it off after a great start and unblinking performance under pressure.

Sebastian Vettel – His race looked to be over on lap 19 but nursing his soft tyres for 51 laps allowed him to vault back into fourth place.

Mark Webber – Out-qualified Vettel despite losing time in two practice sessions with car problems. Lost ground at the start but made passes on Michael Schumacher, Robert Kubica and Nico H???lkenberg to take sixth.

Nico H???lkenberg – Looked faster than Rubens Barrichello all weekend. Out-qualified his team mate and beat him home. Only blot was a few mistakes at the chicanes precipitated by a dodgy brake pedal – Webber might have thought he deserved a penalty but race control didn’t agree.

Compare all the drivers

You can review what happened to each driver in the race and compare their race data with their team mates using the links below:

McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Nico H???lkenberg
Renault: Robert Kubica and Vitaly Petrov
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen
HRT: Sakon Yamamoto and Bruno Senna
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Pedro de la Rosa
Virgin: Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most in the Italian Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the Italian Grand Prix weekend?

• Jenson Button (33%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (3%)
  • Michael Schumacher (1%)
  • Nico Rosberg (2%)
  • Sebastian Vettel (8%)
  • Mark Webber (5%)
  • Felipe Massa (2%)
  • Fernando Alonso (40%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Nico H???lkenberg (4%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (0%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Lucas di Grassi (0%)

Total Voters: 2,033

Loading ... Loading ...

Belgian Grand Prix result

Lewis Hamilton was voted the best driver of the Belgian Grand Prix weekend.

2010 Italian Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 Italian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Bridgestone/Ercole Colombo

115 comments on Who was the best driver of the Italian Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)

1 2 3 4
  1. Wow first Vote! And for Vettel, pretty unusually for a british blog :-)

• TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 14th September 2010, 12:34

For me it’s between Alonso, Button and Vettel.

Alonso drove a solid race and took the victory.

Button drove well with damage and an unheard of setup for Monza.

Vettel went from looking like his title fight was over to saving it with a brilliant 4th place.

A little bit of bias makes me want to say Vettel.

• Alonso and Button both did a great job! Great to see a fight for almost every single lap!
        Vettel was quick when it mattered. But Webber was the only man to pass three drivers on the track.

• magnafw07 said on 15th September 2010, 16:22

If he had actually managed a pass, then definitely Vettel.

But instead it confirms what everyone already thinks about him: He can’t pass.

• sodhal said on 15th September 2010, 2:33

speaking of British blog how can hamilton have MORE VOTES than massa? hamilton was out on lap 1 and massa finished on the podium!

2. I was going to say Hulkenberg would warrant a comedy vote with his chicane shenanigans, but you’ve gone and put him in the list of contenders!

• Hamish said on 14th September 2010, 0:05

You want comedy….two people have voted for Yamamoto and di Grassi currently has -1% of the votes

• Button should get a vote for comedy, too – his quote about the Spa incident was gold: “I’m not sure how you t-bone someone when you’re both going the same direction…”

• Daniel said on 14th September 2010, 2:21

Yeah, I can’t vote for anyone who can’t keep their car in between the white lines.

3. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 13th September 2010, 23:03

I think I’d have to give it to Alonso. While Button kept him at bay ’til the stop, I think Alonso’s pace afterwards proved he was simply biding his time.

• Hairs (@hairs) said on 14th September 2010, 1:04

I think this poll is 50/50 Button/Alonso. Alonso gets it for the flawless inlap/outlap that won him the first place back. Too close to call, really.

• I went Alonso as well, Button drove flawlessly to keep him behind, but in the end, Alonso was pushing his car to the limit (hence a few mistakes), and that’s what won him the race.

• I went for Button, it was a risky choice but he made it work as far as it went.

Sure the pitstop might not have been optimal in timing and speed. Ferrari did a great job with the pitstop and Alonso did the laps to nail him with his greater speed.

• Christian said on 14th September 2010, 13:34

I went for Button too. It was close between him and Alonso.

It was this quote that made me choose Button: “Jenson drove superb,” Alonso said. “He made not a single mistake for the whole lap in every lap. He did a fantastic drive.”

4. Who voted for Hamilton???

5. Marc Mattingshaw said on 13th September 2010, 23:05

The HULK for me

6. Jenson without a doubt, Did anyone else notice how far Alonso pushed Button over the white line that Charlie Whiting said no pushing over. I suppose it was 2/3 of the wheels over the dashed pit exit line. Not technically a line I suppose :-)

• I agree. I think Jenson was the best driver of the weekend. His setup choice worked well for him, and he should congratulated for thinking through an alternative strategy.

I wanted to vote for Webber for his passes, but he wouldn’t have needed to make those passes if he hadn’t of lost so many places off the start. Having said that I suppose it could be argued that Webber was playing it safe off the line and through the first chicane and therefore that demonstrates that he was the best driver because he was sensible enough to know when to attack, and when to play it safe.

As for Alonso, even though he won, I didn’t think his drive was particularly impressive. He had the fastest car, and a big advantage in straight line speed over Button, but he wasn’t able to regain the lead until Button pitted. Qualifying demonstrated that Alonso was able to set a faster lap time then Button, and in my mind Alonso should of been able to close up the gap to Button, and then fly straight past on him on the straights. Maybe that was the plan if the pit stop strategy didn’t work the way it did.

I always find it a little bit disappointing when races are won and lost purely on the speed of the pit stop, and in lap / out lap times. I prefer to see the results of races based on legitimate racing and / or innovative strategy choices. I think the rule requiring each car to change tyres during the race should go as should the banning on refuelling. With no specified requirements on tyre changes, and refuelling, teams would be free to choose whether they pit at all, which would mix the strategies up, and it make more interesting.

• Jay Menon said on 14th September 2010, 11:33

I voted Button being an Alonso fan!

He drove really well.

Alonso couldn’t get passed Button even though he was faster because Ferrari we running low downforce. When you’re stuck behind a car in all that turbulence, grip is not as readily available even on a normal setup.

You could see Alonso sliding a few times when he got up close to Button. Plus Button’s setup allowed him to brake later and he could get on the gas out of corners faster.

So, its probably unfair to say that the 14 kph straightline speed advantange was the only factor.

Jenson drove well all weekend. I would still like to think that Alonso would have passed him even if Jenson stayed ahead after the stops.

Good weekend of racing in my opinion. I would have been a lot better if Hamilton was up there fighting Alonso and Button, that would have been intense!

• spankythewondermonkey (@spankythewondermonkey) said on 14th September 2010, 9:03

i thought the ‘charlie whiting line’ was the one as you exit parabolica and enter the start / finish straight. cutting that shortens the track. where button was pushed over the line would lengthen it by a few cm.

• I thought He was refering to the white line that runs from pit entry pass the pit wall down to the pit exit, to avoid any Sch/Bar driving, I caught the last ten laps on the F1 Fanatic live blog an there were cries of ” Alonso over the white line ” (All tounge in cheek) when He weaved past the finish line. But you have to admit that was a very aggressive, but fair start.

7. TrueF1Grit (@truef1grit) said on 13th September 2010, 23:10

Sorry, Has to vote for Hamilton, but someone else decided to join me? :P

8. Bob Loblaw said on 13th September 2010, 23:21

Alonso hands down. He put together brilliant drives in qualifying and the race. Aside from a momentary lapse of judgment at the start, he was absolutely perfect. I cannot imagine the concentration it takes to pull that off. Hats off to Button for a job well done, but Alonso takes the prize for keeping his head in it 100% from (just after the) start to finish.

Silly Lewis – I know how I feel when I completely screw something up! Sucks.

9. Its so funny, before i entered this page i thought: i bet a lot of people are going to vote Hamilton.

Its already up to five, you guys are hilarious !

10. Button and Alonso were both flawless all weekend, but my vote goes with Jenson for yet another bold but well judged call on strategy.

Honourable mentions for Vettel, Webber, Hulkenberg and Rosberg, who I’m surprised has only one vote!

11. That was a weekend of a Champion by Button, brave but ultimately clever and correct decision made by him and his side of the garage to go with the high down force / F- duct package, excellent quali followed by a sublime & ballsy start / first corner and a faultless drive in what was quite obviously a slower car than the Ferraris – with the intense pressure of Alonso up his backside for much of the race – If that drive doesn’t persuade the few doubters left that Button is a worthy World Champion I don’t know what will, the guy just doesn’t seem to make mistakes during a race that loses him position – in fact I’m having trouble remembering his last one that did …. anyone ?

12. Button, this ig going down as a massive underapreciated drive, the man was essentially undone by his pit crew, an team, if they left him out this race was his. Driving with a car on which the main downforce generating componant was compromised.

Massive drive in the inferior drive, certainly did better then Alo alo in that race.

• Jack Peekoc said on 14th September 2010, 9:01

I thought McLarens were the faster car? I think people forget that out of the top 3 cars on the track, Ferrari have been the slowest overall in 2010.

If Alonso was not where he was, I doubt Massa would have had the pace to beat Button.

• Geordie Porker said on 14th September 2010, 10:57

Jack, not sure that’s correct. Ferrari have been pretty quick for most ofthe season and were certainly the fastest car in Italy. They have looked slow because (in my humble opinion) Alonso has made too many mistakes and Massa doesn’t seem up for it often enough.

McLaren have looked faster mostly because until this weekend they seemed to keep their heads when all about them were losing theirs.

This weekend they lost a race win because of the strategy call and because Jenson’s car simply wasn’t as quick as Alonsos.

As for driver of the weekend, for me Jenson – driving a compromised car (both setup choice and damage) to within a whisker of taking the win off a car which should (based on straight line speed if nothing else) have sailed past him.

Don’t get me wrong, Alonso did well, but I always think driver of the weekend should go to the guy who got the best possible result out of his car.

Still, it’s all opinions, isn’t it?! :-)

• Jack Peekoc said on 14th September 2010, 16:10

Fair points.

Seeing as its much easier (to drive close to the limit) with a higher downforce car, in my opinion Buttons setup was nothing impressive.

Higher downforce means you have more consistent braking patterns, better rear grip through the corners (less drifting) and overall the drive is way more consistent.

I give the guys who went with the low down-force setups much more respect, as it really is a pain (trust me).

13. Stephen said on 13th September 2010, 23:41

Button and Alonso were both excellent all weekend but my vote has to go to Button. He nailed the start and had the balls to run that “barn door” rear wing around Monza.

I don’t know how why people are voting for Hamilton, he was useless.

• I think Alonso was the best, but Button was really close.

How come Hamilton has more votes than Massa???

• Jack Peekoc said on 14th September 2010, 9:05

Over a third of the viewers of this site are British, and I think its pretty safe to say most of them support Lewis. Out of that lot, you are bound to have some die-hard fans.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 14th September 2010, 9:09

Actually it’s less than a third.

• Sure Jack, but even as a “die-hard” fan of Massa, I know he wasn’t as good as Alonso this weekend (either) – and I dislike Alonso! To say Hamilton was the driver of the weekend when all he did was qualify bad (with the wrongly set-up car) and then crash out of the race in the 4:th corner, well, that’s just silly, even Hamilton knows he was far, far from the driver of the weekend.

14. button and alonso were so close for me. i voted alonso simply because he won. i was really impressed by webber’s overtakes, especially the schumacher one. but he really shouldn’t have needed to do them given his start should have been much better.

15. US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 13th September 2010, 23:47

Given that it’s a vote for the driver of the WEEKEND, and not just the race, there are arguments for all the top drivers. Button and Alonso were both fantastic, but I voted for Vettel. He was ridiculously fast in all the practice sessions in a car that wasn’t supposed to be competitive at Monza. He qualified poorly, but then made up for it in the race with a risky strategy after his brake problem, that brought him home with more points than his team mate and kept him in the hunt for the championship.

• Being fastest in practice doesnt mean anything. Do you know what fuel were Ferrari and MClaren running in practice.
      THe best judgement can be infered from quali and race.

1 2 3 4