Vote for your Belgian GP driver of the weekend

Debates and polls

Start, Spa-Francorchamps, 2011

Start, Spa-Francorchamps, 2011

Who was the most impressive driver throughout the Belgian Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the Belgian Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the Belgian Grand Prix weekend:

Sebastian Vettel – Typically dominant, unfazed by concerns over tyre wear, and made some excellent passes.

Mark Webber – Made the pass of the year so far on Fernando Alonso at Eau Rouge.

Jenson Button – A superb recovery after a tactical error in qualifying and picking up damage on the first lap.

Michael Schumacher – Another driver who made a strong recovery, rising from last on the grid to fifth place.

Adrian Sutil – Aside from a costly mistake in qualifying, this was another impressive performance from Sutil who’s upped his game of late.

Compare all the drivers

Review what happened to each driver over the race weekend and compare their performances with their team mates using the links below:

Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Renault: Nick Heidfeld and Vitaly Petrov
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Pastor Maldonado
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen
HRT: Daniel Ricciardo and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Virgin: Timo Glock and Jerome d’Ambrosio

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most throughout the Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

[poll id="277"]

Rate the Race: Belgian Grand Prix

Don’t forget to cast your vote in the ‘rate the race’ poll as well:

Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images

161 comments on Vote for your Belgian GP driver of the weekend

1. Vettel was very good today, as was Webber, with his stunning pass on Fernando into Eau Rouge my highlight of the race (closely beating Nico Rosberg’s electric start). Button from 13th also deserves a massive shout out. But for me, driver of the weekend has to go to Schumi. He had been quick in the changeable weather, and is of course a master of Spa. I had tipped him to do well in quali on saturday before qualifying last through no fault of his own. To then go from 24th to 5th in a car which is nowhere near the fastest in the feild was a brilliant achievement. His first lap, as i have seen mentioned in other comments on this topic, was incredible. I hear you ask why was Button’s 13th to 3rd not better? Well, I think the McLaren was the fastest race car yesterday, or at least a very close second. I also look at this as driver of the weekend. Button and his team messed up on Saturday. I also didn’t vote for Webber in China for this reason. Back to Schumacher anyway, my childhood idol, what a fitting way to mark 20 years in F1.

• Also a quick shout out for Ricciardo in the HRT, promising performance before his retirement, staying out of trouble, although until we see him in the STR next year I will not form a view on him.

2. Younger Hamii said on 30th August 2011, 2:01

Die Hard Vettel(55 Votes) & Hamii(6 Votes) Fans

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGOZ0SVEtHo&feature=related
    Schumachers first and a half lap at spa.

If he hadn’t overtaken those 10 cars in the first lap and let’s be honest they weren’t exactly going places, then I think Norbert would have had to have had a big word regarding his motivation.

He goes on to take Paul Di Resta at the top of the hill, and overshoots the corner, but not a hint of giving the place back despite the huge advantage gained not having to take the correct line!!!!

Tsk tsk. If that had been Lewis he’d have had to give it back or face a penalty.

• gwenouille (@gwenouille) said on 30th August 2011, 11:11

Very true: I didn’t see that.

It would be interesting to see if DiResta complained about that on the radio…

• snowman (@snowman) said on 30th August 2011, 12:32

Schmacher was already passed Di Resta at the 100 meter marker board on left side of video. He was already in the racing line at the corner with the pass done and dusted.

Really need an overhead shot. If Di Resta was glued right on his back when cut the corner a penalty would have been needed other wise it is just cutting the corner which is allowed as long as doesn’t happen couple of times.

As for Lewis getting penalty if happened, if you look at penalties dished out in past 2 years it will be hard to find anyone who has been punished any harsher than Schumacher. It seems they are tying to make up for his first career let offs!

4. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 30th August 2011, 4:17

Both Schumacher & Button deserve but I voted the later as he showed that he can be a aggressive driver when required & unlike his teammate he is calm & cool.

5. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 30th August 2011, 7:58

I would go with Vettel this time. Unlike some other of his wins, this one he really had to fight for, making some good passes in the process and despite abnormal amount of blistering on his front tires.

6. Cristian (@cristian) said on 30th August 2011, 8:30

If we go on like this, at the end of the year we will have a dominant world champion that never won the driver of the weekend. This shows that voters usually nominate their favourite drivers and don’t vote for the one’s they dislike, so their vote kind of loses it’s value. It’s not fair but that’s the way it goes. Vettel should have had the most wins in here too!

• Mads (@mads) said on 30th August 2011, 8:46

Well that depends on how you look at it. I think it has more to do with drivers moving up the field is seen as being better drivers because they show their skill in overtaking. The skill of controlling the race is not very appreciated. Only when it comes as a surprise from “the underdog”.

7. Gill said on 30th August 2011, 9:09

I think “drive thru the pack” drives this year have becomme very easy coz of easy DRS overtakes and Pirreli tyres. So this discounts Mark Webber and Button from the fight of the best driver since they are driving the best cars. Webber cant be given coz of his habbit of making bad starts( he cant be this unlucky, he must be doing something wrong ). I think Schumi is the best this weekend. 2nd comes Fernando, his drive in the first half was breathtaking and he lived up to his calibre. He was ruthless as well patient and didnot make even 1 mistake. He could have easily taken Webber, Vettel and Button out if he had been as impetous as Hamilton but kudos to him for that. He again showed where Massa belonged.

• If cars are evenly matched on pace several things are worth consideration, firstly you won’t catch the car in front to put yourself in contention for an overtake, secondly if you are in a position to over take, they will be in contention to attack and retake. So an overtake is an over take DRS or not. If you catch over take and pull away, it means you are genuinely faster. Not just lucky to be close enough to activate your DRS.

• I m not talking abt a car being genuienly faster or not. If a car is GENUINELY faster, it should be able to overtake without the DRS, isnt it ?

8. Tiffoc (@tiffoc) said on 30th August 2011, 9:57

Michael was the Driver of the day that’s for sure. But Fernando was a very close 2nd as I believe had he had the right tyres in his last pit stop, he could have won the race. He clearly had the fastest car, it was tyres that let him down. Lewis Whamilton was my choice of worst steering wheel operator, he was definitely not what I consider a Driver in this race!!!…

9. MW (@) said on 30th August 2011, 11:20

Possibly this is stating the obvious but I’ll state it anyway :)
    When you pick your DOTW what you’re trying to do is strip away all other influencing factors (Car, team mess ups, racing incidents, mechanical issues)and judge the driver on his performance alone. Therefore drivers with a huge mountain to climb due to negative influences are seen to perform excellently in order to overcome these adverse conditions.
    With this in mind I think alot of people have come to the conclusion that the higher the mountain of adverse conditions is to climb the better the driver performance.
    That’s fine but there is an increasingly obvious flaw with the weighting people put on a driver who makes his way through the field. And that is that the rules as they are set now dictate that drivers at the back have a distinct advantage over drivers at the front. This has had such a severe impact that it’s almost advantagous to qualify poorly and reap the rewards of these rulings. SO you are allowed to run on the fresher tyre while front runners run on a tyre they have scorched around the track on, possibly multiple times, you may also have a greater reserve of tyres in your arsenel during the race. Plus with DRS the backmarkers won’t hold you up like they used to, this makes the gap from first to last on the grid seem very small.
    With this in mind I say sorry Schumi and Button I’m much more impressed with a guy who can put his car on pole and battle with the front runners than a recovery drive aided by a contrived system.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 30th August 2011, 11:25

I think that applies to some past instances this year – Webber in China springs to mind.

But in Spa only the drivers who reached Q3 used any slick tyres before the race, and even then only one set of softs, so I don’t think it made that big a difference here.

As you say, you have to consider the individual circumstances of each driver. Button, for example, was badly delayed by his front wing damage early on, and dropped behind Schumacher because of it.

• It’s an opinion poll. No one is going to get a medal.

I vote for whoever I think deserved a little credit everynow and then, if it happens to be my favourite driver, it means I will hang around the forums and argue the point, if not, it’s just a tick in a box.

I voted D’ambrosi, because I loved rice pudding.

Someone said that it’s likely that this years title winner won’t have been driver of the weekend. I am sure he’ll be really really bothered by that.

• MW (@) said on 30th August 2011, 11:36

I think it’s worth a bit of discussion Carl this website is called F1 Fanatic after all not F1 Enthusiast :)

Also, this logic is the exact same logic team management will have to go through when selecting drivers for their team. T

They can’t all sign the WDC and possibly they wouldn’t want to.

• ‘I voted D’ambrosi, because I loved rice pudding’

10. Kiril Varbanov (@kiril-varbanov) said on 30th August 2011, 11:32

My heart says: Alonso, but it has to be divided between MSC and Button, I think,

Alonso did a great start, overtook number of people under similar conditions, but the SC and the medium tires put him out of the podium. He hasn’t had a good chance to do a clean lap @Q3, so he might have even been at better position at the start. Well, it didn’t happen, that’s life.

Button and MSC both carried great performance, I watched the onboard start from MSC’s lap, and it was excellent, it was great to see him progressing rapidly.

11. xtophe (@xtophe) said on 30th August 2011, 12:01

My vote goes to Vettel. He put his car on pole. He made some non-DRS assisted overtakes at the front of the field. He overcame tyre-issues and he won a GP on what is considered a ‘drivercircuit’.

Unless he starts lapping the top-5 or something, it’s starting to look like Vettel won’t be the DotW for a long time.

12. StrFerrari4Ever (@strferrari4ever) said on 30th August 2011, 13:20

I picked Alguersuari he was on it the whole weekend and he would’ve been on for some good points if it wasn’t for Senna clouting into him. Hopefully in Monza there won’t be any problems like in the race at Spa.

13. themagicofspeed (@) said on 30th August 2011, 13:23

Has to be Michael. Just as i was thinking he’s past it, he shows us the magic isnt dead. That was beyond doubt the best race of his comeback (not his whole career), in my opinion. Imagine what he might have been capable of in Massa’s Ferrari (i would love to see useless Massa get the boot, and Ross & Michael return to Ferrari to claim the 8th title he so cruelly lost in 2006, and maybe 2 more for the ones he should have won in 1997 and 98). What a drive, i love how he came out of the woodwork to show all the new boys (Vettel, Hamilton, etc) he’s still the boss and would have blown them away into the weeds on Sunday given a better car and a few more laps.

14. John H said on 30th August 2011, 13:26

It has to be Vettel but I voted Schumacher.

I think that sums it up.

15. cad1atz (@cad1atz) said on 30th August 2011, 14:14

how can it be anyone but button, schumacher had a great race no doubt but the mercedes pace advantage over the lower teams meant schumacher didnt have to work that hard to overtake the lower order cars whereas button was pulling stunning overtake after stunning overtake on cars of a similar pace. he was absolutely incredible and deserves the driver of the weekend by a mile.