Who was the best driver of the German Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)

Start, Hockenheimring, 2010

Which driver did the best job during the German Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the German Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the German Grand Prix weekend:

Fernando Alonso – Unrepentant victor. Most impressive in qualifying.

Felipe Massa – Moral victor. Defended his position well until he was told to hand it over.

Sebastian Vettel – Pole position and fastest lap, but lacked the speed to challenge the Ferraris.

Robert Kubica – Best of the rest, kept the Mercedes drivers behind.

Vitaly Petrov – A point and 14 seconds behind his team mate was probably his best performance yet

Pedro de la Rosa – Game effort on hard tyres, late-race fight spoiled by Heikki Kovalainen.

Compare all the drivers

You can review what happened to each driver in the race and compare their race data with their team mates using the links below:

McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Nico H???lkenberg
Renault: Robert Kubica and Vitaly Petrov
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Koalainen
HRT: Sakon Yamamoto and Bruno Senna
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Pedro de la Rosa
Virgin: Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most in the German Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the German Grand Prix weekend?

• Jenson Button (3%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (7%)
  • Michael Schumacher (1%)
  • Nico Rosberg (1%)
  • Sebastian Vettel (2%)
  • Mark Webber (1%)
  • Felipe Massa (49%)
  • Fernando Alonso (22%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Nico H???lkenberg (0%)
  • Kamui Kobayashi (1%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Lucas di Grassi (1%)

Total Voters: 2,243

Loading ... Loading ...

British Grand Prix result

Mark Webber was voted the best driver of the British Grand Prix weekend.

2010 German Grand Prix

Browse all 2010 German Grand Prix articles

Image (C) Ferrari spa

118 comments on Who was the best driver of the German Grand Prix weekend? (Poll)

1 2 3
  1. slr said on 27th July 2010, 23:32

Alonso was great early on in the weekend. But I have to give my vote to Massa. I only really care about the race, and for me Massa was the best driver in the race.

• Macca (@macca) said on 28th July 2010, 3:39

Well that would be good if the article was called “Who was the best driver of the race” but is’t for the whole weekend. For me the vote has to go to Alonso.

• Gentleman Alonso lol said on 28th July 2010, 13:12

By your logic(?), you could only choose Alonso if the article was called “Who was the best at whinging to the team”

• slr said on 28th July 2010, 20:03

My logic you mean? Alonso is my favourite driver, so what say is not true.

I rarely get a chance to watch the practice sessions, so I can only really base my choice on what I’ve seen in qualifying and the race.

• Tom L. (@tom-l) said on 28th July 2010, 20:33

I completely agree. It’s between Alonso and Massa, and over the course of the weekend, including practice and qualifying, Alonso performed better.

• Spectator said on 29th July 2010, 0:04

and de la rosa whos race was spoiled aswell but heikkis fault who lost a lot of ground to the unlucky trulli who is showing to be the best of the “others” on qually but unreliable

2. Electrolite said on 27th July 2010, 23:33

I said Pedro, he seemed to be really battling with those Williams cars even if it wasn’t for points scoring positions and outshined Kamui for me, for the first time this season.

• Electrolite said on 27th July 2010, 23:38

Actually I think Liuzzi, changed my mind. ;)

• John H said on 28th July 2010, 9:03

I voted Pedro. Good feedback to the team (although my judgment made from one radio message!) and some good passing maneuvers (Legard awful commentary aside).

3. US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 27th July 2010, 23:37

It’s got to be Massa, and not as a sympathy vote, but because he made a massive start and got the jump on Vettel and Alonso both of whom had been consistently outpacing him up to that point in the weekend. If it hadn’t been for his team’s manipulation of the race he’d have clinched a well earned and properly raced win, a year to the day after he was shot in the head by an errant Brawn GP spring.

• jbstans said on 27th July 2010, 23:46

Agree 100% with this.

I was about to vote for Robert Kubica because I thought everyone would be sympathy voting for Felipe but fact is he drove the best race IMO up to the point where he was shafted.

• jackal said on 28th July 2010, 5:19

Felipe drove a great race until he got shafted by his team. I give him extra credit for not whining about the team order. Hopefully, when all is said and done, he will come out the best in this mess!

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 28th July 2010, 5:55

Hopefully, but doubtful.

• John H said on 28th July 2010, 9:05

Depends really. If he wants to be remembered as a nice guy, then yes he’ll come through with flying colours.

If he wants to be remembered as a winner, he should leave Ferrari and try somewhere else because he isn’t going to win a championship with Alonso at the team.

• William Wilgus said on 28th July 2010, 11:42

Where would he go? What car will be fast enough for him to win the championship? I can understand your thinking that Ferrari considers Alonso to be their #1 driver and Massa their #2, but Massa is certainly no slouch and I think he’s capable of beating Alonso in the right car—and that might be Ferrari even though Alonso would also be in a Ferrari.

• John H said on 28th July 2010, 14:12

Anywhere will do… anything other than the Rubens role, especially as he’s also Brazilian.

4. Alexi said on 27th July 2010, 23:40

Fernando. He was consistenly faster than Massa and would have won if silly Vettel didn’t close him at the start. But figures… Massa will won with sympathy votes.

• IDR said on 27th July 2010, 23:55

100% agree.

*writing something more just to avoid “to short comment” filter.

• Todfod said on 28th July 2010, 1:00

I agree. Alonso was the quicker of the two Ferraris throughout the weekend. And if it wasn’t for Vettel’s ridiculous attempt to intimidate him, he would have entered the 1st corner in 1st position, and pulled away from Felipe comfortably.

• Zahir said on 28th July 2010, 1:34

Sure Alonso was probably the fastest driver of the weekend but that doesnt mean he was the best.

Despite being the fastest driver he couldnt overtake Felipe and he did have chances, whilst even though Felipe was slower he defended his position better and got a lightening start as well.

With the pace Alonso had he should have ran away with the race, he didnt and therefore surely didnt preform at the level he could have done meanwhile Massa drove a little above himself in truth, hence being the better driver of the gp…imo ofcourse.

• IDR said on 28th July 2010, 5:51

“Despite being the fastest driver he couldnt overtake Felipe”

Well, first time ALO was behind MAS with less than 0,5 sec, I was looking the back of the MAS car quite uncontrolled, it remembered me Kobayasi’s car in Brazil with Jenson trying to overtake him.

Maybe ALO didn’t want to take the risk of crashing both cars and ruin the race for Ferrari (and for him, of course).

At that time is when he comment the famous “This is ridiculous”.

• Tango said on 28th July 2010, 8:22

@ IDR : Yes, but Jenson managed to overtake unscatered. And Kobayashi wasn’t even his team mate!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 28th July 2010, 6:57

I agree with you, that Alonso was the fastest but not nessicarily the best driver of the weekend.
          Massa was OK in Quallifying getting 3rd, albeit 0.5 seconds slower than Alonso, His start was very good, thanks to Vettel not even thinking about the car behind him. And he drove a very good race, right until he was ordered to give it up and did so.

But saying “Alonso should have overten Massa” is not really fair. OK Alonso had a chance and did not make it stick and later threw away another opportunity by a glitch.

Surely the fact that you need more than a 2 seconds of speed difference or a mess up by the guy in front make that not something that is done just by being faster than Massa.

By the way, i voted Petrov. He did make it a good ride into the points. Renault was not quite on the pace here, but he finally did it without running into trouble and it might have secured him the drive for next year.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 28th July 2010, 8:53

Vettel’s driving was within the rules and Alonso hasn’t complained about it. I don’t get why people are that bothered about it.

• John H said on 28th July 2010, 9:07

Indeed. One move across to squeeze, and he gave Alonso a car’s width. That’s just racing.

• Ady said on 28th July 2010, 12:19

True, but I guess people see it as unsportsmanlike, I simply see it as a blocking move.

However if more people in 3rd place take the lead as a result perhaps he might need to consider changing this tactic.

• Pablepete80 said on 28th July 2010, 13:19

If the roles were reversed what would alonso do to Vettel?

5. TommyC said on 27th July 2010, 23:45

is the massa vote a sympathy vote? as much as i wanted him to win and as much as he deserved it for his excellent start(although mainly handed to him due to vettel’s stupdity) he really drove quite poorly for quite a while after the pit stop. i certainly wouldn’t vote that as driver of the day if any driver performed like that.

6. David Smith said on 28th July 2010, 0:02

Here’s a light hearted funny look at why fernando should get drivr of the day!!

7. Oli said on 28th July 2010, 0:04

Who voted for Yamamoto. He started with the pit lane limited on and then switched off his engine when trying to change brake bias. Hardly the best weekend

8. judo chop said on 28th July 2010, 0:23

How about a “none of the above” option? No driver was really impressive. Also Massa needs to grow a spine before being awarded any moral victory.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 28th July 2010, 7:03

I think you could have just picked one driver in the 24 on thrack who did a very solid job, if you did not find Alonso, Massa, Vettel, Kubica etc. doing the best job this weekend.

What about DiGrassi (trouble all weekend, but no foult of his), or Glock (he was very fast and looked like beating lotus before he had technical problems), or Trulli (until the car broke down he had been running very well. Qualifiying almost a seccond ahead), or whoever.

• Patrickl said on 28th July 2010, 12:40

I’m also having difficulty thinking of a driver who did perform well. No one really stood out.

It could be Alonso for being fastest all weekend, but then he messed up his start and had to call on Ferrari to help him overtake.

Massa was doing well in the race. Not spectacularly though and he was pretty poor in qualifying.

Webber, meh.

Vettel perhaps, but I’d guess the Red Bull was still the fastest car and he lost two places at the start.

Hamilton perhaps. He did amazingly well to recover from his missed practice time, but then he crashed the car at a crucial time and has only himself to blame for his lack of setup time.

Button didn’t impress me much at all. In the race he was OK, but he really need to start putting in some sort of qualifying performance. Of course he was ahead of Hamilton this time, but that was only because Hamilton made a mistake in his fast run in Q3.

Similar for the whole field actually. A pretty average performance for all of them.

9. Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 28th July 2010, 0:34

De La Rosa for me. Made a decent attempt to make a different strategy work, and almost pulled it off.

10. dragon said on 28th July 2010, 0:57

Realistically, Alonso was probably the best on the day – if he hadn’t been so busy making sure Vettel didn’t put him in the wall, he probably would have gone through turn one in P1. Still, I’ll give it to Massa – his starts are always typically beautiful, minimal wheelspin and a great pull-away, and then his feisty racing performance when he’s still struggling with the tyres was great to watch. The rest of the field were somewhat unimpressive. I enjoyed seeing Schumacher match it with Rosberg this time round, though.

11. Krosh said on 28th July 2010, 1:12

Massa showed last weekend how strong he can be even though I think his car is not the same as Fernando’s. I don’t know why his season is so bad, however I hope he wakes up in anytime and gets back to winning races.

12. nelly said on 28th July 2010, 1:32

Voted Massa but not for sympathy. He had an excellent start and lead for most of the race which is better than what he usually does. De La Rosa was the other who impressed me and Alonsos quali performance and his actual race (bar TO) were good. Although, no one this weekend really impressed me that much.

13. maestrointhesky said on 28th July 2010, 1:37

Massa may have got the votes but I think this marks the beginning of the end for him at Marrenello! What better way to mark the anniversary of his injury with a win. His team mate has no respect for him and now neither does his team. It’s a shame because they showed faith in him when others didn’t and now they’ve thrown it back in his face. I think when it comes to it, Ferrari will have trouble hiring a decent second driver, because Alonso will make sure his lawyers pour over the new contract to confirm it is manipulated in every aspect to ensure his dominance within the organisation. Any decent driver will not want to be a number 2 in that team.

• Mike said on 28th July 2010, 10:13

I agree, I wonder who will go to Ferrari with Alonso there, older wiser drivers sure won’t, It seems to me, that Ferrari will have an Italian, a Rookie, or a driver who really doesn’t deserve the car.

That win “for the team” I think has pretty much shot said team in the foot.

14. Charles Carroll said on 28th July 2010, 1:56

3 votes for the Yam! Not too bad for a guy who basically drove off the track, into regular traffic, and then off a bridge.

15. Las Vegas said on 28th July 2010, 2:18

Driving Category;

Best … Massa – Took control for 49 laps, Alonso couldn’t pass
    Worst … Alonso – Couldn’t past Massa for 49 laps

Tactic Category ;

Best … Alonso – ” This is ridiculous ” – and got pass
    Worst … Massa – ” Understood ” – let Alonso passed too obvious

Moral Category ;

Luca , ” Moral, what moral ”

Sucker Category ;

Best … FIA / Jean ” No Interview, please ”
    Worst … Me, I’m still complaining !

What else ….

• Gill said on 28th July 2010, 4:17

Where the hell did MORAL come into picture ?
      THey are drivers and not saints for God sake. I have seen on this portal, whenever Alonso is in picture, all take out their moral swords and start piercing him. Everyone out here is to win and if someone isnt, he has no right to be in any competitive field. FULL STOP

1 2 3