BBC confirm ten live free-to-air races for 2013

2013 F1 season

Start, Monaco, 2012The BBC have confirmed which of the ten races on the 2013 F1 calendar will be shown live.

The yet-to-be confirmed race on July 21st is among those the BBC plans to show live. It is not clear whether a different race will be chosen if that Grand Prix does not go ahead.

The Monaco Grand Prix, which was shown live this year, is among those which will not get live coverage in 2013. The Canadian Grand Prix, which was not shown live in 2012, will be next year.

As this year there will be delayed highlights of the races not shown live.

The BBC also announced Suzi Perry will take over from Jake Humphrey as the presenter of its F1 coverage. Perry, who has presented Moto GP for the last ten years, said: “Motorsport is my life and I?ve really missed being away from the grid. I am so excited to be joining the BBC. Working alongside such an eminent team and the F1 world is a huge honour and I can?t wait to get started.”

Update: As the ‘TBC’ race will not go ahead, BBC will only broadcast nine races live this year.

Round Race Circuit Date Channel
20 Brazilian Grand Prix Interlagos November 22 – 24 BBC/Sky

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

90 comments on BBC confirm ten live free-to-air races for 2013

1. #first_world_problems

2. Sphinx (@sphinx) said on 21st December 2012, 15:19

I wonder where all the fuzz about missing Monaco comes from… Sure it’s lots of glitter and glamour, but the races weren’t really THAT excited the last couple of years were they?
    I don’t see the point in not having the US GP live though… Not only is it on prime time and offers the COTA track a great chance of having a brilliant race, but out of the last three races only broadcasting the last one live could really be a wrong gamble if they miss the championship decider.

On the other hand, I remember the critisism on the Beeb from last year though, and they still ended up with broadcasting nearly all the exciting, brilliant races live (Abu Dhabi, Valencia, China).

• peter-g-h said on 21st December 2012, 16:48

Monaco isn’t about exciting racing, its about spectacle, about skill & about watching cars mm away from disaster.
      Watching cars fly around Monaco, watching them scrape the walls & watching the skill of drivers is to me a big part of what racing is all about.

I would rather watch a Monaco weekend fully live than a lot of the other circuits where drivers have zero chance of hitting anything & have little fear of running beyond the white lines.

3. Alexander (@al3xander) said on 21st December 2012, 15:44

i think suzi perry was probably a clever idea because lee mackenzie is a very good pitlane reporter so if she got promoted who would do the pit lane and interviews(its basicly dont fix whats not broken)
    im not to pleased with the track picks. this would be my ideal picks for live races :
    australia
    malasyia
    bahrain
    canada
    silverstone
    spa
    singapore
    japan
    usa
    brazil

• @al3xander – Bahrain? It’s not exactly a thrilling track, nor is the area exactly a peaceful paradise either. I do hope, unless of course the political unrest is settled positively, that F1 boycotts the race but of course the lure of Arabian oil money was to lucrative to miss despite the awful leadership and consequent civil unrest.

4. Roger_H said on 21st December 2012, 16:41

No Monaco live?
    Looks like i’ll be subbing to sky in the near future, Monaco live is a must!

5. I am not that bothered by not having Monaco live as there are other races I would pick before it, such as Canada, however when the BBC/Sky deal was first announced last year I thought the BBC said they would always show the British GP, Monaco GP and the season finale live, so I wonder what has changed since then.

Also I liked Suzi Perry when she presented the BBC’s MotoGP coverage but when she was rumoured for the F1 job I read some comments on a website which stated that in the past she has said she didn’t like F1, does anyone know if this is true.

• GT_Racer said on 21st December 2012, 17:02

Yes, She has been very negative on F1 over the years & has often spoke about how she rarely watches it, has never really followed it & hates how noisy it is & how stuck up the teams/drivers are.

Its why I was really surprised when I heard she was the BBC’s #1 choice a few weeks ago.

• That’s a shame as while I would like a someone who is a good presenter fronting the BBC coverage I would also like them to be a F1 fan who is knowledgeable about the sport.

6. Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 21st December 2012, 17:24

Monza live – brilliant.
    Canada live – fantastic.
    Austin only highlights – that’s a shame.
    Monaco only highlights – fine with me. You get so many laps there where nothing much changes, it’ll be an easy one to edit.
    Abu Dhabi and Korea on Sky – haha, you can keep them.

Nice surprise that it’s Suzi Perry. A bit surprised they’ve not set themselves apart from Sky and promoted Lee McKenzie, who knows everyone in F1 already. But Jake was an “outsider” too, Suzi’s got loads of racing experience and she’ll be surounded by production team who’ve been there & done it for years. And I’m pleased that (presumably) Lee McKenzie carries on in a similar role, she’s very good at that.

7. Jamie (@jamiekart13) said on 21st December 2012, 18:29

I wish Jake Humphry would stay, and that bbc had all the races live

• Optimaximal (@optimaximal) said on 21st December 2012, 21:50

The politics about the rights happened, but you can’t besmirch Jake from leaving F1 – he’s got a baby on the way and didn’t really want to spend half the year away from it & his wife.

8. Tommo N7 (@tommothfc) said on 21st December 2012, 18:41

Can’t believe people are up in arms about Monaco not being shown live by the BBC. Most of the time it is a boring, processional race. I’m glad Canada is live instead, it’s arguably provided some of the best races we’ve seen in recent years. It’s a shame the beeb don’t have Australia live though, would be nice to see the season opener live. And it also sucks they don’t have a race till a month after the season begins.

• Can’t believe people are up in arms about Monaco not being shown live by the BBC. Most of the time it is a boring, processional race.

Processional yes, Boring never!

Monaco ain’t about overtaking, If thats what you want to see then go watch Nascar. Monaco is about skill, speed & the love of watching f1 drivers pushing to the limit, scraping the walls knowing that one mistake could see them damage there car.
      Its the one race where drivers have to concentrate more than any other purely because of the additional danger because of how close the walls are.

Monaco is racing history, Its racing as it used to be. No room for error, little run-off & a place where a driver can out drive a poor car to show his true skill.

Plenty of other races through the year where you see lots of overtaking & where drivers can easily run wide & not risk the car, simply running through miles of tarmac or bouncing over grass or into a gravel trap.

I already have sky so i still get to see everything live, however if I didn’t I would be genuinely so mad about them not taking monaco live that i would subscribe to sky & refuse to watch any of the bbc’s f1 action in 2013!!!!

9. Hairs (@hairs) said on 21st December 2012, 19:47

Good to see Bahrain being avoided as a live BBC race, and that we’ll have Spa, Monza and Montreal on the viewing platform of choice.

I echo the sentiment that Lee would have been a prime candidate for the job, but for whatever reason the BBC don’t seem to have a great liking for her. On the races she did front this year, they didn’t do anything much in the way of VT, they didn’t do a forum for at least one race, and they even brought Jake back for a race he wasn’t supposed to be at anyway. They don’t include her in post-race forums or discussions, they don’t include her in “three amigos” skits, and for all the pitlane expertise, they don’t seem to want to leverage her connections, or her relationship with the drivers, which she’s built up over decades.

With all that said, it’s not a surprise they didn’t give her the job, but I have to say I think she could have been great, if the Beeb were prepared to put the effort into backing her like they did with Jake.

10. James_1983 said on 21st December 2012, 21:19

Even though I was less than impressed with the deal BBC got us this year with only 10 races live & stuck with them, however losing monaco as one of those live races & going with a non-f1 fan for lead presenter is for me the final straw & I will be ordering a sky installation for January.

Not impressed with them going with suzi perry who for years has been sniping at f1 & talking about how the motorcycle world is better.

also totally unimpressed they either couldn’t have or didn’t want Monaco as a live race. i love watching the monaco gp, love watching all the practice sessions & its always a thrill watching qualifying there.

if you think monaco is boring then simply don’t watch, nothing making you watch it live if you think its such a poor race, just dont watch it. however going by the ratings it gets each year & the massively negative feedback so far from the bbc not showing it live next year, I’d say those who dislike monaco are in the minority!

11. BBC viewers annoyed this month, next month it’ll be the Sky viewers turn when Sky drop the “get f1 with an HD subscription of 2012″ and force us to pay for sky sports regardless of the fact its 90% balls (sports).

12. Emma_S_N said on 21st December 2012, 21:40

So glad we subscribed to Sky a few weeks ago as Monaco live is a must.
    The BBC not having the Monaco Gp is like ESPN showing the Indycar season but not showing the Indy 500, Or Fox showing all the Nascar races but not showing Daytona.
    Your biggest event, The most historic event & the one with all the prestige & which all the teams/drivers say they love & want to win should always be the 1 race you make sure you always have Live & in Full!

I can see the BBC taking a big hit over this & rightfully so.

13. F1_Canuck said on 21st December 2012, 22:40

BBC did all 20 races live in 2012.. you just had to be outside of the UK to watch.. TSN (in Canada) used BBC feeds/pundits all year long.

14. Younger Hamii (@younger-hamii) said on 21st December 2012, 22:50

A hole created by the BBC with Monaco not being screened live but a comprehensive decision that could ultimately reap it’s potential benefits.

Races at Monaco don’t always match it’s renowned glamour & challenges the track provides, these two factors are what makes Monaco what it is although the races are either dramatic & subsequently exciting or it’s dull & processional so perhaps the BBC opted to veto the race for that particular reason. Hopefully, this would open the eyes of the audience as I believe despite Monaco’s prestige, history & tradition that there’s more to the sport than the latter & if you’re very perceptive you would actually agree. If the 2013 race turns out to be dull & processional then this justifies their decision to not screen the race, I would frankly trade the TBC/uncertain race for the opener at Australia just to be secure given the BBC’s position as anything could happen with that race, plus with Canada being screened live, perhaps travel expenses isn’t actually a major factor in which 10 races are selected.

I just want to wish all the best to Suzi, I haven’t seen much of Lee when she’s the lead presenter but I’m certain that they’re both great in that role in their own unique way.

15. Mallesh Magdum (@malleshmagdum) said on 21st December 2012, 23:37

while you fight over BBC, do give a thought to we Indians. We do not get F1 over free-to-air. To watch F1, we gotta subscribe to cable or DTH. Both payable monthly

• Optimaximal (@optimaximal) said on 23rd December 2012, 21:32

You do understand the concept of the BBC being ‘free-to-air’ is a common misnomer.

Every UK citizen choosing has to pay £145.50 a year to legally use a TV or computer to watch a live broadcast, the majority of which goes to the BBC.