2010 F1 testing live: 27th February

Virgin need to do as much running as they can today and tomorrow

Virgin need to do as much running as they can today and tomorrow

I’m at the Circuit de Catalunya for the penultimate day of testing ahead of the 2010 F1 season.

I’ll post as much as I can from the track below and on Twitter so join us to follow the test live here.

Times from today’s test

Driver Car Best time Laps Difference
Nico Rosberg Mercedes W01 80.686 128 0
Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari STR5 81.413 106 0.727
Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes MP4-25 81.45 105 0.764
Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth FW32 81.975 101 1.289
Felipe Massa Ferrari F10 82.344 115 1.658
Vitaly Petrov Renault R30 82.523 68 1.837
Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes VJM03 82.606 61 1.92
Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault RB6 83.123 51 2.437
Jarno Trulli Lotus-Cosworth T127 85.059 102 4.373
Kamui Kobayashi BMW Sauber-Ferrari C29 86.216 105 5.53
Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth VR-01 86.305 31 5.619

Testing notes

If the first sets of times from Barcelona have shown us anything, it’s that the new teams have the most ground to make up on tracks like the Circuit de Catalunya which place a high emphasis on efficient aerodynamics.

I’m going to be at the track today. It’s my first ever visit to the venue so I don’t know exactly what to expect when I get there, so please bear with me if updates come through a little slowly to begin with.

I hope to get a close look at what stint times the drivers are doing so I can share the information with you and hopefully get a firm idea who is strongest heading into the first race. But it’s clear from what we’ve seen so far this is the hardest pre-season testing form to read in a long time.

Today’s testing line-up

McLaren MP4-25Jenson Button
Mercedes W01Nico Rosberg
Red Bull RB6Sebastian Vettel
Ferrari F10Felipe Massa
Williams FW32Rubens Barrichello
BMW Sauber C29Kamui Kobayashi
Renault R30Robert Kubica
Force India VJM03Adrian Sutil
Toro Rosso STR5Sebastien Buemi
Virgin VR-01Timo Glock
Lotus T127Jarno Trulli

The track: Circuit de Catalunya

The final test of 2010 is being held at the Circuit de Catalunya, where the teams will return later this year for the Spanish Grand Prix.

Rubens Barrichello set the fastest time during last year’s Spanish Grand Prix race weekend with a 1’19.954 in Q2. The fastest lap of the race itself was also set by Barrichello, a 1’22.762,

For further comparison, Valentino Rossi lapped the track in a 2008-specification Ferrari on GP2 slick tyres in a time of 1’21.900 earlier this year.

Live Tweets and times

Check out MSFree.gr for live times from the track during the test.

Here’s the latest Tweets from people at the track, including me:

If you would like to suggest a Twitter feed to add to the list, please name them in the comments. The list only updates when this page is refreshed.

2010 F1 testing

62 comments on 2010 F1 testing live: 27th February

1 2 3
  1. tommy boi said on 27th February 2010, 6:39

renault is supposed to get aero update today. Might improve their (so far) slow car.

2. MattP said on 27th February 2010, 7:09

I get the impression that nobody has really been able to read anything into the times at all, so its been assumed that the “top four” teams are the quickest. I really think nobody has any real idea yet, which is awesome!

3. nomeg said on 27th February 2010, 7:28

For those who want another website w/ the “Live” timings…in French : http://www.f1-direct.fr/live-essais-prives.php
    Better than Greek, no ?

4. wasiF1 said on 27th February 2010, 8:12

Can anyone tell me who are participating today?

5. Calum said on 27th February 2010, 8:28

My opinion, but what do I know:

Ferrari>Mclaren
    Redbull>Redbull
    Williams>Sauber>Renault
    Force India>STR
    Virgin Racing>Lotus

6. @ wasiF1 – McLaren Mercedes: Jenson Button, Mercedes Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg, Scuderia Ferrari: Felipe Massa, Sauber-Ferrari: Kamui Kobayashi, Williams-Cosworth: Rubens Barrichello, Renault F1 Team: Robert Kubica , Scuderia Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi, Red Bull Racing: Sebastian Vettel, Force India Adrian Sutil, Virgin Racing: Timo Glock and Lotus: Jarno Trulli.

7. sandy said on 27th February 2010, 8:32

Here’s a comprehensive Stint analysis from yesterday’s test.
    Ferrari,Red Bull, Sauber, ToroRosso, Force India’s race simulations compared.
    Interesting to say the least. http://bit.ly/akU87O

• Thanks Sandy,

Thanks some interesting analysis, its renewed my optimism that it is actually pretty damn open. those stats do point to the possibility of the races actually being quite interesting with cars relative competitiveness changing as fuel loads change. The way I read that graph tells me that given the right conditions the Sauber could snatch a sneeky win at some point. I do suspect that after 3 races or so the teams will get to grips with things more and it will all iron out.

I think the real question should be first car to break down in 2010 in a race. Its going to be one of the new boys, I would be tempted to go with Campos as if they make it race 1 will be almost a shake down run, they are going to have to go out and drive that think in anger on day 1! that is a scary thought!

8. Macca said on 27th February 2010, 8:55

I would love you to do another ‘behind the scenes’ article from this different location if that is possible.

9. david said on 27th February 2010, 8:59

Toro Rosso Definately should be getting points this year with the new points system and all, but if the track is good an all links up they could be challenging for 4th and 5th, anyone think the same or different ?

• FLuidd said on 27th February 2010, 9:03

I believe you are right they are basically running a the same car as Red Bull….. and this is bad for the sport.

• Calum said on 27th February 2010, 9:39

It’s legal though, in 2007 Spyker complained about the legality of STR having what was essentially a Red Bull customer car and access to parts. All the stewards did was confiscate some components for evidence, but nothing else was done. The stewards rejected Spykers second complaint about it.

I was reading 2007 Season review last night ;)

• “I believe you are right they are basically running a the same car as Red Bull…..”

They have built their own car for this season. They were allowed special dispensation to use RedBull chassis by the FIA for 2008 and 2009.

• I would have to agree David,

having said that I would never say the TR is a bad car, in fact its based on one of the best aerodynamic designs with an engine that we know is a front runner so in theory they should be strong, I would be very interested in seeing what an established driver could do with it that’s for sure, while I know the point in TR is young driver development as they become more Independent of RB it could become their really weakness.

10. david said on 27th February 2010, 9:07

Do you still think they are running the same car, even after the rule changes.
    I dont know maybe they are but, as you said it is bad for the sport.

• They are using their own car this season, because the FIA are no longer allowing STR to use RedBulls chassis.

11. I dont think its the same, but being as both RB and TR drew a line on 2009 and went of to both evolve that design they are going to share 98% of the same DNA

12. irishlad (@irishlad) said on 27th February 2010, 9:22

1 word to describe Barcelona soon ”Rain

13. Damon said on 27th February 2010, 9:23

Any pictures of the new R30 yet, guys???

14. irishlad (@irishlad) said on 27th February 2010, 9:33

anyone who is bored, give a look at this times from yesterday, a bit like what sandy posted a while ago. very intersting.

15. Somebody can please put up link of http://www.msfree.gr
    I am not understanding the language.

1 2 3